Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RBA Starblade posted:

The game has put me in a difficult position. On the one hand, the hunter's cap looks pretty cool, and the elite knight helmet is always a good one. On the other hand, the beret and monocle is silly and has item detection. Hmm...hmm...

Oh it gets worse. The armor that ups item detection is basically shredded stringy rags.

I usually just keep them in my inventory and switch when I want to farm something, but that's because I need my magic hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, the cat ring doesn't do anything at all? I just bought it, equipped it, hopped in the Majula well and I still died at max health. What the gently caress?

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out
I'm getting a graphical issue that looks kind of like z-fighting, except with an underlying purple texture. Does this sound like an issue anyone else has had / is having?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Bobnumerotres posted:

So, the cat ring doesn't do anything at all? I just bought it, equipped it, hopped in the Majula well and I still died at max health. What the gently caress?

It works, but instead of fall damage being percentage based IIRC, there's just a certain amount of damage you'll take at certain falls. Also remove all your armor, equip weight adds to fall damage.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hahah I summoned a couple guys to fight the Pursuer, first thing one of them does is hop on a ballista and shoot me with it. Didn't know that was even possible, guess that's what I get for being too lazy to upgrade my stuff and fight him myself.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't used a single effigy yet because of this, there's no reason to. And low on estus and your good sword's breaking but you're far from a bonfire? Just plop down a small soapstone sign and get like five kills, duty fulfilled and you're at full health and estus.

See, I didn't even know this and it would've really helped me earlier.

In short, bein' a bro pays.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Bobnumerotres posted:

Whats your VGR at? The cat ring does reduce fall damage but anything lower than 8 and yeah you won't survive.

Also take off your armor as well. It helps.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Ultimate Victory Pose! (no major spoilers, edge of dark boss room)

Also, I am loving me some Rat Covenant. Getting to upgrade your own rat-den and luring people into traps never gets old. I may be here a while

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

It reduces damage but it can't work miracles. :v: Falling in the pit with that ring will still take a big chunk of health (possibly all of it if you don't have enough I guess). There's a safer way down and more equipment that can help.

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out
Here's a picture of what I'm dealing with:

http://i.imgur.com/GdoupUO.jpg

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

God drat this game is pretty with my new 750ti.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I summoned Lucatiel in No Man's Wharf but she must've fallen into the water at some point and now her sign is gone. :saddowns:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I summoned Lucatiel in No Man's Wharf but she must've fallen into the water at some point and now her sign is gone. :saddowns:
Lucatiel has really bad AI. Really really bad.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

If you use the bonfire again it will come back.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Elysiume posted:

Lucatiel has really bad AI. Really really bad.

It's manageable if you don't run too far ahead of her. One time I summoned her and ran toward the boss, it wasn't until I got to the ship that I realized she wasn't there. Turns out she couldn't even find her way out of the building.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Shindragon posted:

Whats your VGR at? The cat ring does reduce fall damage but anything lower than 8 and yeah you won't survive.

Also take off your armor as well. It helps.

No, you can survive the fall as a Deprived with 6 vig.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nahrix posted:

Here's a picture of what I'm dealing with:

http://i.imgur.com/GdoupUO.jpg

Oooh, that's actually kinda nice looking. Like you're walking through the redlight district of the sewers. :v:
Try closing and restarting Dark Souls and see if that helps. Could be worse though, at least that still looks playable.

Also, finally got the item for the elemental blacksmith! So far it looks like infusion's pretty cool and awesome, not to mention quick and painless. Got me a +6 shortsword of FIRE now.

Also, Fire seems to scale really well as a second damage type if you're doing an int or faith build, and VERY well if you're doing a dark based build.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Man there are NPC summons? I clearly haven't found them under the mountain of player signs.

I managed to find one NPC invader though, that was fun.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Darox posted:

Man there are NPC summons? I clearly haven't found them under the mountain of player signs.

Certain Summonable NPCs have their own storylines, you have to talk to them for their story to progress and their sign to appear.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

If you use the bonfire again it will come back.

Ah, that's way too much effort for a Solaire wannabe like her. :colbert:

Speaking of bad AI: I wasn't even doing anything, I was just standing around alt-tabbed and then I heard a splash and she was gone.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

No, you can survive the fall as a Deprived with 6 vig.

Do you need the fall damage ring for that? Because I sure as hell didn't survive that fall.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I think I've kind of messed up my build so far. I've been trying to play a castery sort but I've been leaning really hard on my Heide knight sword and I'm still using my starter staff for soul arrows. I just got off the ghost ship and stepped back into the Bastille, is there any gear/spells around I can grab that will help me take advantage of high int?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Welp. I reached a new area of the game and its actively laughing at me. The game is literally taunting me now. That might be a sign to call it a day.

EDIT: On the other hand, I just met a talking scorpion. Now I want to keep playing even more.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 26, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Darox posted:

The signs usually aren't next to the boss. Her sign in Sinner's Rise for example is in the elevator room.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The signs usually aren't next to the boss. Her sign in Sinner's Rise for example is in the elevator room.

Her sign in Iron Keep is right next to the door though. :v:

Also, you know there's an NPC who loving builds a ladder down that hole people. You don't have to go base jumping.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Another good day. Got through Heides, said hello to my old pal, beat up a fat man, then got to Flexible Sentry. Also did a bunch of Co-op, leveled faith to play around a bit with some miracles, then respecced back to Pugilist focused.

Yep, great time, I'm really liking this game.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Filthy Haiku posted:

I think I've kind of messed up my build so far. I've been trying to play a castery sort but I've been leaning really hard on my Heide knight sword and I'm still using my starter staff for soul arrows. I just got off the ghost ship and stepped back into the Bastille, is there any gear/spells around I can grab that will help me take advantage of high int?

You can find a stronger soul arrow type in Forest of Fallen Giants. And there's a sorcery merchant who sells spells in No Man's Wharf. You literally walked right past him to get to the ghost ship. :haw: Exhaust his dialogue and he'll move to Majula.

The basic staff carried me almost to the final boss with upgrades. I didn't switch it out until late and that was only in favor of a hybrid weapon.

Internet Kraken posted:

Welp. I reached a new area of the game and its actively laughing at me. The game is literally taunting me now. That might be a sign to call it a day.

Yeah, there are things in the game that laugh. Every new area sort of feels like that too, then you get desensitized.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

neetengie posted:

Certain Summonable NPCs have their own storylines, you have to talk to them for their story to progress and their sign to appear.

Do you need to bring them along and have them survive boss fights to keep their story going?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

Do you need to bring them along and have them survive boss fights to keep their story going?

Yes, 3 fights per NPC. Which is a problem sometimes because I think some of them have a death wish.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I can't say enough how much I'm loving the improved load times, especially for multiplayer.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Kimmalah posted:

You can find a stronger soul arrow type in Forest of Fallen Giants. And there's a sorcery merchant who sells spells in No Man's Wharf. You literally walked right past him to get to the ghost ship. :haw: Exhaust his dialogue and he'll move to Majula.

The basic staff carried me almost to the final boss with upgrades. I didn't switch it out until late and that was only in favor of a hybrid weapon.

Yeah, there are things in the game that laugh. Every new area sort of feels like that too, then you get desensitized.

So I can just keep chucking upgrades onto my basic staff? That seems wrong somehow. :v:

I haven't invested in faith at all either; will that bite me in the rear end? Is there a punishment for respecing?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I think the problem is that it's just too easy to pick up two phantom buddies within 5 seconds of arriving at a bonfire so I never get the chance to see any NPC signs.

In related news I'll have to go and actually look through No Mans Wharf properly because the first time I just blazed through the entire thing slaughtering everyone while my new best buds tried to keep me from getting lost repeatedly.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wait, I have to summon NPCs to keep their storylines moving?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kimmalah posted:

\

Yeah. When I first entered the Gutters I was freaking out because I couldn't see poo poo and could only hear that sickly heart beat. I had no idea those statues were causing it so it felt like I was descending into the gullet of some massive monster. So I spend all my time creeping through that place expecting something horrifying to come up, then I eventually realize those statues were the source and felt really silly.

Maybe I'm just dense but I thought that was a clever trick, making the most dangerous thing in the area something that resembles harmless scenery. Of course it went from interesting to obnoxious when I found out they respawned.

Speaking of weird poo poo, is there anything to do with the moaning trees in the phantom forest? I just hit them a bit and they didn't seem to do anything other than yell at me.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Wait, I have to summon NPCs to keep their storylines moving?

Kimmalah posted:

Yes, 3 fights per NPC. Which is a problem sometimes because I think some of them have a death wish.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Filthy Haiku posted:

So I can just keep chucking upgrades onto my basic staff? That seems wrong somehow. :v:

I haven't invested in faith at all either; will that bite me in the rear end? Is there a punishment for respecing?

Well there are other staffs, but I just didn't care for most of them and their cast speeds.

I personally would recommend investing in faith enough to at least get lightning spears and some healing/cure miracles. The lightning spears worked better for me than the strong sorceries (that take a lot of INT and have low number of uses) in the late game. It will also allow you to use hexes, some of which are insanely powerful.

Pyromancy is also extremely strong once you upgrade it and get some AOE spells. There's a pyromancy flame on that ghost ship that's easy to miss.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Okay I give up, how do you unhollow?

I'm up to 37 deaths on the 3 sentinels. I can get to the boss and kill the first one without taking a hit, then things go wrong on the next 2 usually when I need to drop down and that puts me in one-shot territory so I try to heal. I probably wont summon anyone just yet, it'd just be nice to not have half health the entire game. v:shobon:v I think I can beat them if I can drop and not be at ¼ health from the fall, that way I wont have to worry about healing.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Sanctum posted:

Okay I give up, how do you unhollow?

I'm up to 37 deaths on the 3 sentinels. I can get to the boss and kill the first one without taking a hit, then things go wrong on the next 2 usually when I need to drop down and that puts me in one-shot territory so I try to heal. I probably wont summon anyone just yet, it'd just be nice to not have half health the entire game. v:shobon:v I think I can beat them if I can not drop off and not be at ¼ health from the fall, that way I wont have to worry about healing.

Co-op with the small or normal sized White soapstone, or use (not burn) effigies.
edit: small soapstone is faster since you just have to kill a few dudes.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

neetengie posted:

Co-op with the small or normal sized White soapstone, or use (not burn) effigies.

I've really been appreciating the human restore on successful co-op. Was that ever confirmed as intentional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So anyone have any advice for me wrt the Ruin Sentinels? Because even with three people they're kicking my rear end. I'm at SL52 powerstancing +2 maces and I'm barely chipping away at their health.