Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SirDan3k posted:

I know some people are saying it to help people make progress but the despawn feels like a punishment for dying more then anything. Sure eventually you'll have a straight shot at the bosses but you end up being under leveled/under equipped for them thanks to the loss of souls.

The thing is, there's no shortage of souls due to JOLLY COOPERATION. If you need some souls just slap down a sign with the small white soapstone and follow a dude around for a bit helping him kill stuff. I've only got one of the four PRIMAL SOULS you have to get, yet I'm level 78 and that doesn't count however many souls I've just lost because I don't care. I can always get more with the soapstones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
So I tried PVP with PC controls and Australian internet because I'm a huge loving retard.

11/10 needs work

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Alkydere posted:

I've only got one of the four PRIMAL SOULS you have to get, yet I'm level 78 and that doesn't count however many souls I've just lost because I don't care. I can always get more with the soapstones.

Agreed, co-op is very rewarding in this game. Plus the bonus of not needing to spend an effigy to restore humanity. Really easy to keep yourself at 99 lifegems with all the souls you get as well.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

SirDan3k posted:

I know some people are saying it's to help people make progress but the despawn feels like a punishment for dying more then anything. Sure eventually you'll have a straight shot at the bosses but you end up being under leveled/under equipped for them thanks to the loss of souls.

That usually wont happen unless you throw yourself at a boss 12 times while completely clearing out the area leading to it every single time without ever leaving to level. Even if your stain is in the boss room you can get a decent amount just by clearing the area a couple times. Even if it does despawn the area you can just farm another area for souls to level up, not to mention the massive amount of souls you get for co-op.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Alkydere posted:

The thing is, there's no shortage of souls due to JOLLY COOPERATION. If you need some souls just slap down a sign with the small white soapstone and follow a dude around for a bit helping him kill stuff. I've only got one of the four PRIMAL SOULS you have to get, yet I'm level 78 and that doesn't count however many souls I've just lost because I don't care. I can always get more with the soapstones.
Which was why I was curious what they might do for the game later down the line when the mingleplayer component isn't as hot as it is right at this moment.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Sober posted:

Which was why I was curious what they might do for the game later down the line when the mingleplayer component isn't as hot as it is right at this moment.

Even a year and a halfish after darksouls pc was released, the online was still pretty dang active. I'm sure it will be fine, especially with how connecting to people isn't completely broken now.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Both Yahtzee and a friend of mine complained about bosses just being "dudes in armor" and they were right, at least from what I can tell so far. Sometimes the dudes don't have armor as such but they're all very much humanoid enemies.

Where's my Gaping Dragon 2.0 From??

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Sober posted:

You can still do it the old fashioned way of farming an area for souls. You'll just about certainly beat the game before you can depopulate every area and if you wind up depopulating everything you can just use an ascetic to respawn the enemies in an area.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I played DaS1 completely offline/solo and it was wonderful. This feels like medieval twitter. It also feels like a c/p job or kinda like a mod.

Does it get better after Neo Anor Londo?

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
So, skipped this thread till now because I didn't want to spoil myself on the game. So far, I'm having an absolute blast. It is really, really fun for coop, however there seems to be almost no invasions. Is PvP not very active in the game at the moment? I'm cooping (have close to a dozen Tokens now) and am trying to find my way into the sun covenant, but it might be worth it to find a decent PvP covenant because of the fact that everyone is running around all human all the time.

Also, I think I skipped some sections and went from the Forest of the Fallen Giants to the Lost Bastille (both early game sections, I believe). I pounded my head against the 3 sentinels for a bit and it took maybe a good solid 5 tries, but at the end I had managed to save up like 80k souls. I like the fact that successfully cooping works kind of like the bonfire, it allows you to give yourself a little boost when you need it. I plop down my summon sign whenever I'm online and routinely get summoned within a minute.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

So, this poo poo irks me about ds2.

There's no environmental warnings anymore.

I got teleporting key-card squadded twice, once while going on the ship and once while getting the fire longsword from the tunnel. Both times enemies spawned in behind me and sealed up the exit as a direct result of my being in the place, the problem is, there is literally no reason to suspect that is going to happen either time. If it wasn't for the text on the floor you would NEVER KNOW.

I hate to bring up 'TRIAL AND ERROR' and 'ARTIFICIAL DIFFICULTY' but it applies this time around.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

CitrusFrog posted:

Nice advice, those fuckers are my next bossfight so I'll be keeping your tips in mind. Also, 'sup fellow Homo Mace buddy.
I'm actually going for a dex build but my slash weapons were getting sorely outdamaged by the mace, even with only 17 STR.

The Joe Man posted:

This feels like medieval twitter.
:v:

Dark Souls II: Prepare to Tweet (PC)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Agreed, co-op is very rewarding in this game. Plus the bonus of not needing to spend an effigy to restore humanity. Really easy to keep yourself at 99 lifegems with all the souls you get as well.

What I love doing is when I reach a fog door I'll put small sign down and take a moment to catch my breath as I'm summoned. If I die, it's just my spirit form and I get to see what's beyond with no risk (besides maybe eating up my spell casts/weapon durability). If I live and the host comes out victorious, I get a free refill on estus, spells, durability, health and humanity and can summon dudebros to help me with what's beyond the door.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Both Yahtzee and a friend of mine complained about bosses just being "dudes in armor" and they were right, at least from what I can tell so far. Sometimes the dudes don't have armor as such but they're all very much humanoid enemies.

Where's my Gaping Dragon 2.0 From??

I fought a headless Naga/Medusa holding her own head in one hand. It's no gaping dragon sadly, but it's also at least not a dude in armor (it's a naked scaled headless snake-lady).

Then again, even if we don't get anything as visually impressive as Gaping Dragon, I haven't run into anything as miserable or unfinished as the stupid tree boss of Lost Izalith. Though the Lost Sinner boss was almost half assed (big guy with a big sword that jumps around only OH NO IT'S DARK! so your lockon breaks if you're more than spitting distance from him).

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I thought completing a task as a shade restored the duirability of your equipped weapon? My halberd is still broken.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

I thought completing a task as a shade restored the duirability of your equipped weapon? My halberd is still broken.

It restores durability but doesn't repair completely broken equipment.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Only if your weapon isn't completely broken. It works on the same rules as a bonfire. If your weapon is fully broken you have to go take it to a smith to fix.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

DON'T let your poo poo break, its much harder to repair broken than it is to stop by the bonfires in time to repaint your bloodied mace.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Sanctum posted:

I'm actually going for a dex build but my slash weapons were getting sorely outdamaged by the mace, even with only 17 STR.

Yeah I've noticed that most enemies tend to be armoured, and strike damage seems to be the best thing for armoured enemies, so I haven't touched a sword since I was able to equip the Homunculus.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Hm. I wish the Claymore was as easy to get as it was in the First Game. I've upgraded my Bastard Sword to +2 and my Heide Sword to +4. I don't even want to add Faith for a long time! What have I done? :(

I just want my Claymore back.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
The Bell Keepers covenant is fun.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How many souls have you guys perma lost because you couldn't recover a corpse? I'm at 282k soul memory but I know I lost like 20-25k souls over a few stupid deaths. Ugh especially the stupid ruin sentinels which I went into way too early I guess. Die there and you can't recover your souls before the mist and fight, blah. Just go in, recover souls, die again, eventually fail to recover.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Motherfucker posted:

I got teleporting key-card squadded twice, once while going on the ship and once while getting the fire longsword from the tunnel. Both times enemies spawned in behind me and sealed up the exit as a direct result of my being in the place, the problem is, there is literally no reason to suspect that is going to happen either time. If it wasn't for the text on the floor you would NEVER KNOW.

I hate to bring up 'TRIAL AND ERROR' and 'ARTIFICIAL DIFFICULTY' but it applies this time around.

The ship is supposed to be a pretty tough encounter with multiple enemies, but there are 3 enemies that you can spot hanging out on a dock (literally) which will follow you onto the boat that you can get early though. You can see the enemies in the fire longsword tunnel if you're looking around carefully IIRC.

Almost always if you get attacked by an enemy that seemingly spawned behind you, you can spot it before it attacks you if you pay close attention to your surroundings. Messages, as you said, also are extremely helpful in this regard since there will usually be a ton warning about potential ambushes. No enemy ever "spawns in" behind you. They're already there with a very select few exceptions that I don't even think happen on regular old NG. Always be wary of corpses on the ground, they are often enemies that get up when you pass a certain point.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 26, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Walking on the huge sword was a pretty big surprise for me too, but the next time I plugged the man on the far side and walked in backwards, you can clearly see there's a dude directly above waiting to drop behind you.

There's no teleporting. If anything, it'd be sporting to have a little "ha-HA!" when they do jump you from behind, but alas. Dark Souls.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

The ship is supposed to be a pretty tough encounter with multiple enemies, but there are 3 enemies that you can spot hanging out on a dock (literally) which will follow you onto the boat that you can get early though. You can see the enemies in the fire longsword tunnel if you're looking around carefully IIRC.

Almost always if you get attacked by an enemy that seemingly spawned behind you, you can spot it before it attacks you if you pay close attention to your surroundings. Messages, as you said, also are extremely helpful in this regard since there will usually be a ton warning about potential ambushes. No enemy ever "spawns in" behind you. They're already there with a very select few exceptions that I don't even think happen on regular old NG. Always be wary of corpses on the ground, they are often enemies that get up when you pass a certain point.

Yeah but those three that follow you onto the boat, they get out of the water, and don't exist before-hand. Without the warning message on the ground there is no indication they will do that, they don't ever do it before or after either. I know you're supposed to be paranoid ect ect but it's not like there's even a squeaky board or anything that might tip you off.

I'm not saying every trap has to be preceded by a big sign that says 'You're probably gonna get jumped here' (we already have those on the ground) but if you're gonna have an ambush or something, please don't make it comically obvious the act of the player passing through an arbitrary checkpoint is the sole and only reason the enemies came into existance.

I'm fine with the 'feign death till you walk past' enemies, its those three that spawn at the boat, or the two who jump down behind you when you enter the cave but don't exit if you go and check out above the cave first that I'm talking about.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm honestly a huge fan of the ambushes. It rewards the cautious players, and makes for an interesting fight the first time through for less cautious players like myself. The sword is a really fun little encounter the first time. Enemies on either side, no room to dodge, and death waiting below.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

scamtank posted:

Walking on the huge sword was a pretty big surprise for me too, but the next time I plugged the man on the far side and walked in backwards, you can clearly see there's a dude directly above waiting to drop behind you.

There's no teleporting. If anything, it'd be sporting to have a little "ha-HA!" when they do jump you from behind, but alas. Dark Souls.

Wait they're on the roof? I thought they spawned above the cave and jumped down when you entered.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

Yeah but those three that follow you onto the boat, they get out of the water, and don't exist before-hand. they don't ever do it before or after either.

What? If you walk near them they jump out of the water to attack you.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Motherfucker posted:

Wait they're on the roof? I thought they spawned above the cave and jumped down when you entered.

Yeah they're waiting on the roof. At least for the sword people. I turned around and watched the rear end in a top hat stand there and then walk off the edge to drop behind me.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Motherfucker posted:

Yeah but those three that follow you onto the boat, they get out of the water, and don't exist before-hand. Without the warning message on the ground there is no indication they will do that, they don't ever do it before or after either. I know you're supposed to be paranoid ect ect but it's not like there's even a squeaky board or anything that might tip you off.

I'm not saying every trap has to be preceded by a big sign that says 'You're probably gonna get jumped here' (we already have those on the ground) but if you're gonna have an ambush or something, please don't make it comically obvious the act of the player passing through an arbitrary checkpoint is the sole and only reason the enemies came into existance.

I'm fine with the 'feign death till you walk past' enemies, its those three that spawn at the boat, or the two who jump down behind you when you enter the cave but don't exit if you go and check out above the cave first that I'm talking about.
Actually they aren't in the water, but hanging off of the dock. Those enemies you can see if you're being reasonably cautious and have had experience with ambushes. If you hit them once with any attack while they are hanging they lose their grip and fall to their death in the water. No enemy doesn't exist before you aggro it. I honestly don't remember much about the placement of the tunnel enemies so I can't really comment on that. They may well be unspottable unless you're being cautious to a fault, but if they are they're the exception to the rule. Still, I guarantee you no enemy just spawns out of thin air. They are there, just hard to spot.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 26, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I am wrong on both accounts :(

Turns out the two on top of the cave are there before hand feigning death.

Still dosn't excuse those stupid halberd zombies that can track you before, during and after they attack :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Being summoned to another world! AN APOSTLE OF BLUE IS IN DISTRESS. :byodood:

*Disconnected from multiplayer session*

Apparently those five seconds to be summoned I mentioned earlier aren't enough.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Hahah, I just got to the part where now I understand and can laugh at the thread title! And then right after pulling the level that moves the ship my computer crashed :(

Most of my annoyances at this game have evaporated now that 1) I've left the forest of the giants behind, and 2) the small white signstone being the best thing ever created.

e: I havent been invaded yet surprisingly, even though I've picked up a bunch of cracked blue eyes myself. What gives, are people just playing through the game first before they get deep into pvp or something?

e2: Oh what in the gently caress computer/steam! Steam is now suddenly redownloading all 8.4 gigs of DS2 :negative:

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 26, 2014

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Logan 5 posted:

Hahah, I just got to the part where now I understand and can laugh at the thread title! And then right after pulling the level that moves the ship my computer crashed :(

Most of my annoyances at this game have evaporated now that 1) I've left the forest of the giants behind, and 2) the small white signstone being the best thing ever created.

I was the same. It seriously gets so much better once you get a handle on the new mechanics and have access to the various conveniences like the blacksmith and co op. If anyone is considering quitting because it just seems impossible in the early game, stick it out till you know your way around the mechanics and have a good feeling for how the game works.

e:Invasions are just generally pretty rare. Even on the consoles which have been out long enough to develop a good pvp playerbase I rarely get invaded. There is one exception if you aqquire wretch status by killing every single npc you meet and gathering enough sin. The invasion cooldown timer for bluebro arbiter invasions is removed, so you can be invaded, kill the guy next to the bonfire, try to rest and find out you're already invaded again. Spoilered because that could really be fun to find out on your own.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 26, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I'm consistently getting my rear end in a top hat pushed in by stupid dickwraiths.

All they do is fire soul arrow and no matter where it goes I lose health. So dark souls PC in a nutshell really.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
If anybody is looking to use their Xbone gamepad with this, here's the workaround you'll need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu-eUUesN_w

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Logan 5 posted:

e: I havent been invaded yet surprisingly, even though I've picked up a bunch of cracked blue eyes myself. What gives, are people just playing through the game first before they get deep into pvp or something?

e2: Oh what in the gently caress computer/steam! Steam is now suddenly redownloading all 8.4 gigs of DS2 :negative:

No, they just haven't found the Brotherhood of Blood yet more than likely, along with the fact that Cracked Red Eye Orbs are harder to come by this time round, while the Blue ones drop like loving candy and get a lot more hits on NG+.

Motherfucker posted:

The only Artificial Difficulty thing I'm seeing is how the enemies pivot to always face you even when they're attacking, and when some attack shouldn't completely follow you, like the turtle men and their overhead smash with their hammers. Pivoting while winding up is fine, but not through a very heavy attack.

Brain Fog
Dec 27, 2012
What the hell was with that area in Lost Bastille at the holding cells where you go down the elevator and there's just a ship in the ocean?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Brain Fog posted:

What the hell was with that area in Lost Bastille at the holding cells where you go down the elevator and there's just a ship in the ocean?

Go back the second Heide bonfire and nose about upstairs.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Brain Fog posted:

The other entrance you use by taking the ship from no man's wharf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Sublime bone dust thing -

so the first one is on that corpse on the rail by the 2h mace dude in the tower of flame right?

I don't know wtf happened but I don't have it and the corpse has been looted and I don't have estus flask+

Should I restart?