Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012
I irrationally support inferior conflict CPU's and refute any benchmarks presented to me because of "reasons".

If I'm giving PC advice, you should probably just ignore me.
I'm really lost, was I supposed to go into one of those misty doorways? I killed two teat monsters in there but there seem to be a lot of bloodstains here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

neetengie posted:

There needs to be a drat good story/lore reason why False King is back, since the actual King Allant is dead. Also no Maiden in Black around so there needs to be a good reason for Soulsucker to be back too.

No, there kinda doesn't because they aren't even the same universe. False King can just be some bonus boss and Soulsucker is just a spell.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

neetengie posted:

There needs to be a drat good story/lore reason why False King is back, since the actual King Allant is dead. Also no Maiden in Black around so there needs to be a good reason for Soulsucker to be back too.

You would think that. But they really don't. They could just you know...do it. I mean would it bother you that much? would the tears never cease running down your cheeks, looking for lore that's not there? wondering when the next 50 minute youtube video is...but it never comes. never

Make Nineball the final boss is what I'm saying

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Logan 5 posted:

So after having to redownload all of DS2 for some reason, this popped up before I got back to playing (yes I went with the best name):

But it didnt really seem to effect much of anything, still had all my (useless) preorder junk which is the only thing I can think of that would count as DLC at this point. Luckily I barely lost any progress either.

Usually you get that message if you didn't choose Quit from the menu when exiting (game crashed etc.). I've gotten it a couple of times and haven't noticed any missing items or progress either.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm looking at the tips in the OP, and I'm stumped about the first one:

#1 Follow the tunnel outside Majula to Heide's Tower, head towards the Cathedral. Pick up the ring outside.

I already got close to the Cathedral, but the drawbridge is up. Where is the ring supposed to be?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ymgve posted:

I'm looking at the tips in the OP, and I'm stumped about the first one:

#1 Follow the tunnel outside Majula to Heide's Tower, head towards the Cathedral. Pick up the ring outside.

I already got close to the Cathedral, but the drawbridge is up. Where is the ring supposed to be?

Kill the enemy by the drawbridge then pull the lever.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Manatee Cannon posted:

No, there kinda doesn't because they aren't even the same universe. False King can just be some bonus boss and Soulsucker is just a spell.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

You would think that. But they really don't. They could just you know...do it. I mean would it bother you that much? would the tears never cease running down your cheeks, looking for lore that's not there? wondering when the next 50 minute youtube video is...but it never comes. never

Make Nineball the final boss is what I'm saying

I'm not that much of a neckbeard who cries like you're describing, maybe you're projecting? Besides, even if I watch some lore videos I don't take their word as the official canon. There was a reason False King existed, and just shoving him in would provide fanservice. I'd prefer for Soulsucker to stay out unless they, as I said, make a really good reason for it. I don't like blatant fanservice as much as you guys. I enjoy some consistency in my video games at least.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Manatee Cannon posted:

Welp, I'm not near powerful enough to take on those (Especially at 50% max health). Seem pretty weird to have that as tips number one.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Manatee Cannon posted:

Which can be a bit tough if you decided to rush past the other enemies, as you might find yourself mobbed by five dudes while you're trying to pull the lever. Fun times. :unsmigghh:

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012
I irrationally support inferior conflict CPU's and refute any benchmarks presented to me because of "reasons".

If I'm giving PC advice, you should probably just ignore me.

OK, I'm not meant to go here first am I? These piglets almost killed me!

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

RasputinVarez posted:

OK, I'm not meant to go here first am I? These piglets almost killed me!

oh yeah man don't go there you have to go to the tower area first :^)
Just don't disturb the piglets and you're fine.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ymgve posted:

Welp, I'm not near powerful enough to take on those (Especially at 50% max health). Seem pretty weird to have that as tips number one.

Go find the shop in the other place you can get to now and buy a club or 2. drat near everything in this game is armored and blunt objects wreck armored enemies.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

neetengie posted:

I'm not that much of a neckbeard who cries like you're describing, maybe you're projecting? Besides, even if I watch some lore videos I don't take their word as the official canon. There was a reason False King existed, and just shoving him in would provide fanservice. I'd prefer for Soulsucker to stay out unless they, as I said, make a really good reason for it. I don't like blatant fanservice as much as you guys. I enjoy some consistency in my video games at least.

Dude, Soulsucker is literally just a spell. Were you angry when Soul Arrow had the same name and was the same spell in Dark Souls, which is blatantly a different universe from Demon's Souls? Or Thndaga or whatever being in every Final Fantasy? I mean if you were saying you don't want it back because you find it frustrating/it doesn't fit with the limited respawn mechanic because you can get really loving screwed then sure, I understand that. I even agree! But this is ridiculous. I do not understand why you are so upset about an offhand comment about boss reuse.

ymgve posted:

Yeah it's a little harsh, but if you upgrade your weapon a bit you should be fine.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Sex Robot posted:

I think that's the other thing that niggled me as someone who thoroughly spoiled the game before hand. There is making references to another game in the series and then there is DsK2. HEY DO YOU REMEMBER DARK SOULS 1? THAT WAS A GOOD GAME! LOOK HAVE MORE STUFF LIKE THAT? IT'S SIMILAR BUT DIFFERENT :iiam:

While I'm sure the Old Dragonslayer worked some people up into a frenzy when I saw it, it was more a... "really?"

Kinda cynical, particularly on that last thing, but fair. Still, I think they were going for something deliberate with all of that. It's been suggested that Heide's Tower of Flame is (lore speculation/wankery)the remnants of a city founded by Gwynevere and Flann, the fire god she left Anor Londo to marry. There's also the Blue Sentinels being a lot like the Darkmoon Blades, the Heide Knights found elsewhere looking kinda like Solaire.

Speaking plainly, regarding the criticism: It's probably way easier to come by those impressions when you go into something knowing there are a bunch of giant fanboys of it who will happily be pandered to, and that thought can make you want to really pick it apart and see more negatives. One of those hype backlash effects (which the first Dark Souls suffers from as well, to some extent). It isn't wrong, but it is incredibly subjective.

For me, the parts of this game which really stand out tended to come a bit later. Strange for a game like this, but there are parts with actual narrative tension, plus some very clever design, that makes whatever story and atmosphere they're trying to tell with this game stand totally apart from the first one (though not without a connection here or there), really bringing the Drangleic setting into its own and not just a bunch of game levels peppered by Lordran references.

Sex Robot posted:

That's what earned my This is Dark Souls achivement. Flinging myself off of the edge of the gap at the jumping tutorial :v: You're probably right and I will probably get used to it, but old habits die hard.

Same. :downs::hf::downs:

Eventually got it completely down, yet still struggle with the DkS1 jumping.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RasputinVarez posted:

poo poo, Pre-Ordering bonuses

I don't like that, they kind of ruin game balance. I take it i get them on all my characters?

Good news! They don't touch game balance. All of the weapons except the staff are hot garbage beaten out by any class's starting weapons and none of the shields are any better than the wooden piece of poo poo you pick up in the first area. The staff is only good if you're going pure sorcery(no hexes) and is only good because there's a serious lack of staves for a while.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

RasputinVarez posted:

OK, I'm totally stuck and i can't work this part out at all so, could somebody just give me a hand on how to get past this part?

first, these things kill me, i can take one of them down but that's it

and if i manage to get passed them i run into this guy who kills me faster!

this game is loving impossible, i know it's meant to be hard but this is absurd, i don't even have a weapon and i'm either being gang banged by goblins or killed by cyclops monsters!

yeah two things are pretty much the ds2 version of the graveyard from ds1.

i spent what felt like days in that goddamn graveyard at the start. lesson learnt.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Dude, Soulsucker is literally just a spell. Were you angry when Soul Arrow had the same name and was the same spell in Dark Souls, which is blatantly a different universe from Demon's Souls? Or Thndaga or whatever being in every Final Fantasy? I mean if you were saying you don't want it back because you find it frustrating/it doesn't fit with the limited respawn mechanic because you can get really loving screwed then sure, I understand that. I even agree! But this is ridiculous. I do not understand why you are so upset about an offhand comment about boss reuse.

Soulsucker seems a lot more unique than Soul Arrow does, that's why I'm against the idea of something that is very unique being as commonplace as a common spell that could be developed anywhere. I don't find Soulsucker frustrating at all as a spell being used, neither your whole point about the limited respawn mechanic. Like I said, I don't like blatant fanservice, and that seems to be the result if you just shove in False King and Soulsucker for no reason. (ps i never played final fantasy so i dont know what you're talking about)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

neetengie posted:

Like I said, I don't like blatant fanservice

Cool, we get it, now shut up and let everyone else enjoy a loving videogame.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Am I missing something obvious with the Guard Break move? I use [press left stick forward] + [light right hand attack] just like the Kick in Dark Souls but somehow I only do a normal attack all the time.

Also, is there already a level range chart for coop?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Randler posted:

Am I missing something obvious with the Guard Break move? I use [press left stick forward] + [light right hand attack] just like the Kick in Dark Souls but somehow I only do a normal attack all the time.

It has to be the direction your character is facing IIRC, and you do a shoving animation.
No level range because Soul Memory effectively replaced it - so you'll get co-op all the time really, and since your SL doesn't matter anymore, just keep leveling up.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Randler posted:

It works for me, but just like the forward+strongright the timing is real picky.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Anyone know where the best price is if I am buying in the UK right now? :)

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
So I went back to my Str guy already because I prefer it over magic. Hope I won't be too boned in pvp.

Also I got an ultra great sword off the knights near the temple of the blue

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'm glad this thread spelled out the benefits of being summoned. Co-op was something I rarely touched in Dark Souls, but I'm having a blast. Jumping back and forth between solo exploration, joining others in co-op, and summoning people for help in tricky areas adds so much.

Can't wait to join Heirs of the Sun and get my hands on that sword.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

When can I expect to see rewards for Sunlight Medal redemption?

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
So on my first trip into the gutter:

Is this a normal ds2 glitch, or its my laptop freaking out?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

AParadox posted:

So on my first trip into the gutter:

Is this a normal ds2 glitch, or its my laptop freaking out?

Are you referring to that huge lump of textures to your left? Because of course the spooky glowing eyes on the right are normal.

But that texture thing is there on the PS3 for sure. Not even certain it's a glitch. I was planning on actually taking a torch down this next time to see if it was any clearer what it was supposed to be.

The Hanged Man
Oct 30, 2010

neetengie posted:

I don't like blatant fanservice

Well, you might be surprised to find out that Souls games, since their conception, have pretty much always been 90% blatant fanservice

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

neetengie posted:

Soulsucker seems a lot more unique than Soul Arrow does, that's why I'm against the idea of something that is very unique being as commonplace as a common spell that could be developed anywhere. I don't find Soulsucker frustrating at all as a spell being used, neither your whole point about the limited respawn mechanic. Like I said, I don't like blatant fanservice, and that seems to be the result if you just shove in False King and Soulsucker for no reason. (ps i never played final fantasy so i dont know what you're talking about)

*adjusts glasses, pulls back sleeves*

Time to tell everyone how I feel about fanservice!

*pushes pile of mangas and tissues to side of desk*

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Mazed posted:

Are you referring to that huge lump of textures to your left? Because of course the spooky glowing eyes on the right are normal.

But that texture thing is there on the PS3 for sure. Not even certain it's a glitch. I was planning on actually taking a torch down this next time to see if it was any clearer what it was supposed to be.

Yep, the lump of textures, all I can distinguish is some random furniture, a car's wheel and the backside of a green baby's head.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Hanged Man posted:

Well, you might be surprised to find out that Souls games, since their conception, have pretty much always been 90% blatant fanservice

Yeah seriously, the Souls series is absolutely lousy with King's Field nods and references and fanservice. The Moonlight Greatsword wasn't invented for DeS!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

AParadox posted:

Yep, the lump of textures, all I can distinguish is some random furniture, a car's wheel and the backside of a green baby's head.

I think I saw a painting of a woman in there too when I was down there. It seemed like a surrealist mashup of renaissance portraiture and random junk.

Maybe it's supposed to be a lump of garbage that they really got lazy trying to model?

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Every stat feels useful and I hate it. You need a baseline of str/dex for whatever weapon, adaptability/endurance because both are really loving good, a bit of vigor so you don't constantly overheal, and vit so you can stay under the 70% threshold. If you want to use just one of the spells types (and why wouldn't you???), you need attunement + the spell type.

I need more souls...

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
So I spent 3 hours last night protecting Belfry Luna with my shirtless bodybuilder. Powerstance dual cestus is still obscenely powerful in PvP for stun locking and guard breaking. I've got no idea what I'll do with 40+ titanite cynks, but that bell sure is safe.

The Crusher fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 26, 2014

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
-nevermind

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 26, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mazed posted:

It looks like its a huge pile of junk and other lovely things. Pretty sure its intentional, it didn't look that bad on my computer though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dr. Carwash posted:

Every stat feels useful and I hate it. You need a baseline of str/dex for whatever weapon, adaptability/endurance because both are really loving good, a bit of vigor so you don't constantly overheal, and vit so you can stay under the 70% threshold. If you want to use just one of the spells types (and why wouldn't you???), you need attunement + the spell type.

I need more souls...

Hah, I know the feeling. I've gone through seven bosses now and have like 10 vigor, it's worrying. Stats are so much lower on the whole than they used to be, my highest stat at around level ~50 is like 25 or something (I WILL use that twinblade god drat it).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Sex Robot posted:

I'd have to say This one :rimshot:

But seriously, if you mean the one that got me a new avatar, I'm not sure because that was a biiig thread. I'll have look but no promises.

You are a bad troll. Stop being a bad troll.

As for class? Depends. Sorcerer is still pretty much easy mode imo especially now that you can buff casting speed and there are several early on mobs that pose a considerable bump in the road for other classes that sorcerer can poo poo all over from 20ft away.

You are a bad attention whore. Stop being a bad attention whore.

Over 10 years on this forum and this is the first time I've seen a smarmy, "douchey and obnoxious :words:, and oh yeah if you're curious as to how I got my title, (I'm not, get over yourself) here's an explanation and here I will also provide a link for all to see."

So... congrats on being the first at something?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
The shortcut in cardinal tower where you firebomb a bunch of explosive barrels didn't work. The barrels just exploded but no hole in the wall opened at all. I tried resting at the bonfire to reset the barrels, but it didn't work.

Are they gone for good and I'm hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Das Butterbrot posted:

You can't initiate a sprint unless your stamina is full. That had me a bit confused when I started playing aswell.

You can initiate a sprint with a partial stamina bar, but if you completely drain your stamina with a sprint then you cannot sprint again until it is completely full. So sprint to 20% bar, stop, let it recover to 50%, and sprinting again works just fine.