Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I knew there was a Lucatiel spawn in No Man's Wharf for the Flexible sentry fight as I summoned her on the 360, yet for the life of me I could not find it at all even while human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

I knew there was a Lucatiel spawn in No Man's Wharf for the Flexible sentry fight as I summoned her on the 360, yet for the life of me I could not find it at all even while human.

It's near where you open up the shortcut door, around the stairs.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

turnways posted:

It's near where you open up the shortcut door, around the stairs.

Yeah, I knew exactly where it was and it didn't show up so it was probably a bug

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Spudd posted:

I have no idea how to fall down the well correctly unless I'm missing something. I'm up to the part of the fall where I need to do a jump to get the next platform and I just can't do it right.

Unless there really is a ladder that all the NPC's keep joking about?

You just need to get better at jumping :v:

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

I absolutely LOVE the little checkerboard of blood patches across Majula of people who blatantly Awoke pig death

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

turtlecrunch posted:

No matter how you beat the boss the first time it's actually ok, you can just ascetic the nearest bonfire and fight them again with the NPC.

Ah. I would've assumed ascetic-ing stuff would reset NPC positions/questlines along with everything else.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm beneath the room with the ballistas in the first real area, and I destroyed a chest because I'm paranoid about mimics. It turned whatever was in there into rubbish. Did I miss a great item?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

ymgve posted:

I'm beneath the room with the ballistas in the first real area, and I destroyed a chest because I'm paranoid about mimics. It turned whatever was in there into rubbish. Did I miss a great item?

Nope, wooden chests only contain nice-but-not-amazing stuff.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ymgve posted:

You actually missed a crossbow arrow trap that sprays in a 180-degree fan. Mimics aren't the only thing you have to worry about anymore!. But yeah, only tap chests once to check for mimics.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Spudd posted:

I have no idea how to fall down the well correctly unless I'm missing something. I'm up to the part of the fall where I need to do a jump to get the next platform and I just can't do it right.

Unless there really is a ladder that all the NPC's keep joking about?

There really is an NPC hidden in Earthen Peaks that you can pay to build ladders.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Also, just unequip and punch the chest. I mean there is a tell about how to spot a Mimic.

But I ain't telling.

:getin:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I killed the Pursuer. Where to next? The ruined city/churchy place above the waves?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Where can I buy Lifegems in the early game? I ran the undead merchant's stock out.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Red Crown posted:

Where can I buy Lifegems in the early game? I ran the undead merchant's stock out.

Exhaust her dialogue option and then beat the first boss in Cardinal Tower. She moves to Majula and sells infinite lifegems at that point.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Sometimes you see ghosts that make you question reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j7TMGNdOXI

This is one of those times

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Actually, just remembered another question I had: You can't fight bosses as a shade, right? You just get booted out with the message "Host has left the area"? Was wondering if it was that reason or something else I'd been kicked out of being a shade a few times.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Man how the gently caress is the Smelter Demon even fair? Once he's on the third phase unless you time dodges perfectly he absolutely wrecks you, unless you have some kind of crazy greatshield. Is there some fireproof shield I'm supposed to have by this point?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Cowcaster posted:

Actually, just remembered another question I had: You can't fight bosses as a shade, right? You just get booted out with the message "Host has left the area"? Was wondering if it was that reason or something else I'd been kicked out of being a shade a few times.

Do you mean using the small signstone? Cause then no, you can definitely fight bosses as a shade. Helping two other dudes fight the sentinels was how I learned how to beat them.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Man how the gently caress is the Smelter Demon even fair? Once he's on the third phase unless you time dodges perfectly he absolutely wrecks you, unless you have some kind of crazy greatshield. Is there some fireproof shield I'm supposed to have by this point?

You could always go get this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Didn't show up for me either. I know exactly where it is from console. Must be bugged.

I figured they moved it in a patch, but couldn't find it anywhere.

Artificer posted:

I killed the Pursuer. Where to next? The ruined city/churchy place above the waves?

Yes. Go to Heide's.

The crow's nest after Pursuer will take you to Lost Bastille, but if you go to Heide's you can go to No Man's Warf which also takes you to Lost Bastille. You should do those first.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So I've decided to just use my PS3 controller instead of loving around with my mouse and keyboard. Do I need any software or anything to use it or just plug and play?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I had an epic moment while fighting the pursuer, I went in with an ally, and we both had alot of trouble beating him, until in a fit of desperation I realized that the loving basilisk was actually usable, so we were both down to our last bits of life, my ally was being chased by the pursuer, I calmy lined up the shot, and JUST as the boss was about to swipe and kill my ally he came into sight of me and I launched that thing right into the boss, it took away a full third of it's health and killed it before he can get my ally. :black101:

this game is loving awesome, I've been making tremendous progress, got kick rear end armor and weapons, and I feel like I'm finally getting into the groove of things.

I've gotten to the point where I've met Lucatiel, she seems cool so I look forward to summoning her when that prompt shows up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Dodge better? :v:

When he's powering up and changing phases, he's totally vulnerable. Beat on him as much as you can so he's already hurt by the time he's in his third phase.

And if you're really having trouble, summon co-op allies.

Jose posted:

So I've decided to just use my PS3 controller instead of loving around with my mouse and keyboard. Do I need any software or anything to use it or just plug and play?

Uh do you have bluetooth?

Try google. Depending upon your OS you may need some drivers.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 26, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Bobnumerotres posted:

There is a reason he's optional. :v:

Also raise ADP. At least 25.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The three guys that aggro on your the moment you stand up from the first bonfire at Sinner's is kind of a dick move.

Has anyone been having better luck than me in PVP? Connection is way better, but the same problems with backstabbing and enemies attacking you from miles away still apply, with the added bonus of guard break either not activating, or activating and them still attacking anyway.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
The hardest part of this game by far is finding the right way to go.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

RBA Starblade posted:

The three guys that aggro on your the moment you stand up from the first bonfire at Sinner's is kind of a dick move.

At least they're crossbow dudes so they'll stand back and shoot ineffectually so you can kill them one at a time.

On a related note, attacking with your shield raised seems more effective in this game than the first.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

scamtank posted:

Man, it's like nothing has any kind of resistance against bludgeoning damage. Maybe this is From's way of saying "AND THIS IS WHY PEOPLE IN THE MIDDLE AGES DIDN'T GENERALLY HACK AWAY AT BREASTPLATES WITH SWORDS".
Yeah this is kinda annoying as a straight sword user because a Royal Swordsman will literally suck away my durability despite me being able to kill one in 3 hits from being armoured up.

Doesn't help the durability problem that most weapon attacks connect with the environment whereas I don't think most standard maces do. So whiffing a sword attack is usually a really lovely deal whereas if you swing a morningstar or something if you miss and unless you are in a tight hallway, it doesn't smack up against anything.

Maybe I should just upgrade the mace and then find a huge fuckoff greathammer or something. I see people with giant fuckoff Warhammer-level weapons, where is all that poo poo?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Genocyber posted:

Great Resonant Soul with a decently upgraded chime should work wonders.

Ah! I have yet to use the resonant souls and soul consuming ones (I actually forgot about them entirely), I will give it a shot!

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
For some reason co-op is completely broken for me now, it just hangs at the loading screen. I've even got like 16 of the tokens for co-op, but now it just straight up doesn't work. This blows.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I've been running into some controller problems with my pc release. The buttons are all mapped wrong and I cant move the camera at all, since the right stick is set to do four different buttons depending on which way you move it. I had this same problem with the original Dark Souls PC game but I was able to fix it by pressing the mode button to switch it back. Only now that doesn't work with this game, pressing it does nothing. I've opened up the original Dark Souls again to test it and the mode button still works fine there. Just not in this game apparently.

Is there some sort of easy fix for this or do I just need to get a different controller?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Has anyone been having better luck than me in PVP? Connection is way better, but the same problems with backstabbing and enemies attacking you from miles away still apply, with the added bonus of guard break either not activating, or activating and them still attacking anyway.

loving hated that poo poo.

Good news is this is where its nice that enemies despawn!

I just loving killed those guys over and over and over until they didn't exist anymore :colbert:

Same with the loving exploding suicide zombies in Straid's room. WTF I get attacked as soon as I warp into a bonfire, and its the only way you can talk to an NPC? gently caress that!

Everybody else moves to Majula after you talk to them enough except for that rear end in a top hat. Okay I guess Gavlan, Navlan, Wellager, and that bird lady...

Also just realized there's an NPC named Gavlan and an NPC named Navlaan. Comeon From Software lets get a little more creative. :cheeky:

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.

cat doter posted:

For some reason co-op is completely broken for me now, it just hangs at the loading screen. I've even got like 16 of the tokens for co-op, but now it just straight up doesn't work. This blows.

I am not seeing summons signs AT ALL now. I am lvl 75 and standing in front of the Charriot, and there is nothing there....nothing ANYWHERE (except blood splats, messages and the shadows of other dudes waiting by the gate too).

Could the servers be hosed?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Not sure if it's the cause of your guys' problems, but I can say that if you get the message "Lost connection to Steam" at any point, your multiplayer connection stays severed until you restart the game, even if your steam connection comes back.

I figured my first jaunt through Majula and the forest being devoid of signs was because no one had found the orange soapstone yet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Splurgerwitzl posted:

The hardest part of this game by far is finding the right way to go.

Not if you pay attention to NPC dialogue.

The crestfallen dude at Majula tells you exactly where to go and describes all the early zones in the game.

You guys just don't pay enough attention. :colbert:

Kids these days.

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people
Is there a reason why the big grey guys in No-Mans Wharf are scared of my torch for about 5 minutes, then all become immune and attack me like my torch is unlit? I was standing in front of Galvan for the first time, and they all jumped me before I could talk to him.

Just ran through, and it happened again. The instant I get into the room with Galvan, they become immune to my torch...

P_R_Deltoid fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 26, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Not if you pay attention to NPC dialogue.

The crestfallen dude at Majula tells you exactly where to go and describes all the early zones in the game.

You guys just don't pay enough attention. :colbert:

Kids these days.

the npcs are the best.. listen to all of them. Sometimes they don't give you anything until the 5th or 6th time you talk to them. Sometimes they give you info or something special the first time you talk to them. Sometimes they give you nothing at all. But their stories are always incredible

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Despite the advice not to I started off Deprived. For some reason I have all the preorder stuff in my inventory even though I had cancelled my pre-order, but I can't use any of it because of my stats. I found a dagger near the start, and that was almost broken when a shortsword dropped off a hollow, so I upgraded my dex enough to use that. Just as my sword broke I came to the merchant that had the Blacksmith's key, so I've enough to tide me over until I progress a bit more. Things are starting to not respawn though, which is a handy way to force progress without farming so much it becomes trivial, I like it.

I realise posting questions in this thread is going to be near-pointless for a few months due to how fast it moves but hear goes:

I can parry ok but the riposte doesn't seem to be working - did I miss the bit in the tutorial area that showed me how to do that, or has it been changed/removed? I've tried both weak and strong attack right after parrying, just like in the first game making sure I'm right up close and not pushing in a direction (the backstab doesn't seem to work unless I'm not touching the right movement stick so I'm assuming riposte is the same?) Am I doing it wrong or is it just really finicky?

e:

ethanol posted:

the npcs are the best.. listen to all of them. Sometimes they don't give you anything until the 5th or 6th time you talk to them. Sometimes they give you info or something special the first time you talk to them. Sometimes they give you nothing at all. But their stories are always incredible

From one of the NPC dialogues (I think it was the guy that lets you join the blue cov in Majula) can I take it that this game takes place (early-game Majula dialogue spoiler) a long, long time after the first one? The way he talks about the firekeepers being a thing of the past makes me think so.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 26, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

This game and its predecessor are unique in being a videogame that gives you the option of murdering any and every NPC you'd want, but where I actually don't want to because they're actually loving useful most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

P_R_Deltoid posted:

Is there a reason why the big grey guys in No-Mans Wharf are scared of my torch for about 5 minutes, then all become immune and attack me like my torch is unlit? I was standing in front of Galvan for the first time, and they all jumped me before I could talk to him.

You probably didn't seem the animmation but yeah the torch only temporarily scares them. Eventually there is an animation where they slap themselves and that point they are going gently caress your FIRE I"m after you foo!

As for the riposte, it's fincky. Wait until they are on their rear end, and wait at one or two seconds then attack. The riposte animation should play.

Too early and you'll just do your regular attack.