Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

beanieson posted:

that sounds like an interesting read but GODDAMN if that isn't one goofy looking motherfucker :eyepop:

edit: also, keep in mind that (in louisiana at least) the harsher penalties on murdering a cop isn't just for cops.. it extends to firemen, lab techs, civilian police employees, children/the elderly, any person who holds a legal restraining order against the suspect, states witnesses (and the family members of states witnesses), taxicab drivers, and a whole host of various federal employees.

He looks exactly how I'd imagine a canadian cop would look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

This is more of a law question but why the gently caress do they tack on extra years to life sentences? It make no loving sense. You're stuck there for life, why does adding 25 or 53 years to it matter?

You would have to get one of the lawyers to answer, but I thought at one point at least in the state of Florida that a life sentence wasn't actually "until you die" but a set number of years, something vaguely retarded high like 70+ years. Theoretically you could live long enough to serve an entire life sentence. Which is why people were sentenced to multiple life sentences or life plus x years.

I could be wrong on that though.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Do cop goons think that there should be police reform? What sort of things would you like to see implemented?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Miltank posted:

Do cop goons think that there should be police reform? What sort of things would you like to see implemented?

As an addition to the question do you think the Highway Patrol should actually report their crashes?

Modest Mao posted:

also:

Police chase fatalities are underreported for a number of reasons, including the following:

·It's voluntary. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) uses a voluntary tracking system to collect information. It is not a report of the actual number of all deaths, especially the deaths of innocent bystanders as a result of vehicular police chases and response calls. Information to NHTSA is given—or not given—at the discretion of each individual law enforcement agency.

·No independent oversight at the state or national level of the information submitted to NHTSA.

·No independent investigations: Often, police officers or their agencies will make the determination that a crash occurred right after a pursuit was "terminated," hence the crash is not pursuit-related. (Source: FBI Journal Report)

·Inadequate reporting: Officials from law enforcement agencies often change their minds about whether it was or was not a chase when innocent bystanders are killed. Consequently, these deaths of innocent bystanders are not counted in any government reports.

·Inadequate reporting: Babies and young children in the car whose driver is fleeing the police are not counted as innocent victims in the government's report. They are recorded as "occupants of fleeing vehicle."

·Inadequate reporting: Chases for suspected DUI are sometimes reported solely as DUI fatalities, and

·Inadequate reporting: Individuals who die later (for example, not at the crash scene) are sometimes not reported as a pursuit fatality.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
That FBI Journal is from 2002, by the way. Not sure anything has changed, nor am I doing your research for you, but people should really try to find info that's less than 10 years old.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

krispykremessuck posted:

That FBI Journal is from 2002, by the way. Not sure anything has changed, nor am I doing your research for you, but people should really try to find info that's less than 10 years old.

so, can any cops tell me if there have been big changes in police pursuit policy over the last ten years that result in less bystander fatalities?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Christmas Miracle posted:

so, can any cops tell me if there have been big changes in police pursuit policy over the last ten years that result in less bystander fatalities?

Well most departments just don't pursue anymore. Unless you're a known wanted felon, or fleeing an armed robbery or something chances are we'll just note the license plate, send a unit to your house and find out who's driving the vehicle. You run from the cops for a traffic violation or something similar you'll end up with a warrant out for your arrest but we won't chase you down.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Most of us can't chase for anything less than a violent felony (carjacking, robbery, etc). Car chase policies have become rather restrictive in the last few years.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

We've always been told that we're one pursuit away from having pursuits completely banned here.

Edit: Thankfully, we've been pursuit fatality free.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Oh right, I forgot to say Virginia isn't included in the restrictive chase policy thing. Those guys will chase you until you die.

And leave traffic citations on your corpse.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Christmas Miracle posted:

We don't pursue anymore unless there's a child in the car or something. And even then, it's only until a helicopter gets in the air. They tried to ban it unless an officer was assaulted and the suspect ran, but I guess guys were caught lying about the suspect almost hitting them or something. This all happened before my time, so I've always been under the "don't pursue" rule.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Most of us can't chase for anything less than a violent felony (carjacking, robbery, etc). Car chase policies have become rather restrictive in the last few years.

Wait, so assuming oregon is like this, I could run from a cop trying to pull me over and actually get away?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

There's a chance you'll find a police officer waiting for you at your house or a warrant out for you, but maybe? I don't know the chase policy for every police department in America, just the prevailing attitude towards them. :shrug:

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Oh right, I forgot to say Virginia isn't included in the restrictive chase policy thing. Those guys will chase you until you die.

We had one last night. :getin:

Whip Slagcheek posted:

And leave traffic citations on your corpse.

Don't forget the unpaid taxes citations too! :science:.

e/phone posting.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 26, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
That's very interesting to hear. I'm taking it that California isn't one of those states considering we see videos of police chases in LA often enough.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

That's very interesting to hear. I'm taking it that California isn't one of those states considering we see videos of police chases in LA often enough.

:shrug: not sure. There's aren't any LAPD goons afaik. I'm sure those videos show pursuits where the suspect was deemed dangerous enough to be worth chasing, whatever they're actual policy is.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Like I said, I don't know the chase policy of every state. Around DC it's rather restrictive, but with helicopters and license plate readers you don't necessarily get away with it. All I need is to see your face and match it to the license database and I can just write out a warrant for flee to elude. Sure you got away with whatever you were running for (no license, drunk, drugs, whatever) but you'll still get arrested at some point.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
in NC I don't even need to see your face, law allows me to take out warrants on the registered owner. Once I pull them in they'll rat out whoever was driving.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

MP federal policy is no pursuits ever period, because we aren't technically qualified to do that and if it's one thing the army loves it's requiring courses for things. Last time I checked on them, RCMP and Quebec provincial police are formally trained and they'll happily chase you until dispatchers tell them to stop. Municipal police services generally won't pursue without a very compelling reason. It's much easier to just go to the registered owner's house and wait on his porch.

An Ottawa cop was just cleared of wrongdoing for a pursuit that was aborted a few seconds after it started, but killed an innocent motorist anyway. Some yahoo was speeding through the heart of downtown, she saw him and made a u-turn to go pull him over, and when he took off she basically gave up because driving really fast down Laurier is an excellent way of guaranteeing you will kill somebody today.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

flakeloaf posted:

driving really fast down Laurier is an excellent way of guaranteeing you will kill somebody today.

To be fair it's pretty much a guarantee someone is gonna die driving down Laurier either way.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Grem posted:

We don't pursue anymore unless there's a child in the car or something.

I mean that's got to be a pretty cool time for the kid but shouldn't you just drop them off somewhere safe first?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

it's almost like LAPD and other departments/states/jurisdictions should be judged individually

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Snowdens Secret posted:

I mean that's got to be a pretty cool time for the kid but shouldn't you just drop them off somewhere safe first?

Eagerly awaiting meowlins serious response to this :shobon:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

genderstomper58 posted:

Nah because that joke was actually funny.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

genderstomper58 posted:

Meowlins response to everything itt should be the ban hammer. Just, like, own it ya know?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Snowdens Secret posted:

There was a chase not too long ago in surrounding cities where a dude stole a car that had a kid in it. Kid was okay and the guy stole a different car after almost an hour of driving.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
Sioux falls police and highway patrol used to chase you till you died, but then they killed too many people that way and now they won't chase you for anything. My dept will still chase you till you die, but we haven't killed anyone yet.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

- Less managers, more leaders
- More funding
- More officers
- Less politics
- Better "Federation"
- Better use of technology
- Make me the boss of all the police in the UK so I can afford to buy a Lamborghini Aventador

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Miltank posted:

Hail Hydra

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
For the campus cops:

Sometimes large groups of students will gather in the parking lots of our residence halls while waiting to be taken to a party. When they get loud sometimes someone will call UPD on them to do something, but UPD never seems to do much.

What would/can you do in this kind of situation where there is a large group of people bothering others just by their presence?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

DaNerd posted:

For the campus cops:

Sometimes large groups of students will gather in the parking lots of our residence halls while waiting to be taken to a party. When they get loud sometimes someone will call UPD on them to do something, but UPD never seems to do much.

What would/can you do in this kind of situation where there is a large group of people bothering others just by their presence?

... Are you an AU student? The reason I ask, I was just reading about this happening at their campus and the community complaining about the noise/booze/drugs/whatever.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

DaNerd posted:

For the campus cops:

drive by slowly with the window down pretending to do something so the person who called in and is inevitably watching from their window doesn't call back in to complain about my lazy rear end.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

There's a chance you'll find a police officer waiting for you at your house or a warrant out for you, but maybe? I don't know the chase policy for every police department in America, just the prevailing attitude towards them. :shrug:

How far away can the license plate scanners get license plates? I mean, if they can't chase me and don't see my plates, good luck identifying my car (or at least well enough you can prove it in a court). I drive a stock '07 silver Mustang (yes I know it's enlisted as gently caress) and there are a buttfucking ton of them so...

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Branis posted:

drive by slowly with the window down pretending to do something so the person who called in and is inevitably watching from their window doesn't call back in to complain about my lazy rear end.

Yup

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

USMC503 posted:

How far away can the license plate scanners get license plates? I mean, if they can't chase me and don't see my plates, good luck identifying my car (or at least well enough you can prove it in a court). I drive a stock '07 silver Mustang (yes I know it's enlisted as gently caress) and there are a buttfucking ton of them so...

a lot of times a cop will have read your plate on before he ever lights you up, so unless it is stolen you'll probably get caught.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Whip Slagcheek posted:

... Are you an AU student? The reason I ask, I was just reading about this happening at their campus and the community complaining about the noise/booze/drugs/whatever.

Nope, I'm an RA in a college on Long Island and my RHDs love calling and encouraging us to call UPD for this kind of stuff. I never do because I figured it was a silly thing to call them for.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

DaNerd posted:

Nope, I'm an RA in a college on Long Island and my RHDs love calling and encouraging us to call UPD for this kind of stuff. I never do because I figured it was a silly thing to call them for.

It's probably not worth it until it becomes a problem and people start bitching. The incident I was referring to at American apparently has had assaults and all kinds of bizarre poo poo happening and the community is getting pissed off.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Well, for all our liberal 'policing by consent' we will chase anything. As long as the pursuit driver has the appropriate level of training then they just keep going.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Well, for all our liberal 'policing by consent' we will chase anything. As long as the pursuit driver has the appropriate level of training then they just keep going.

Unless you're in my force that has a 100% no pursuit policy in place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

DrakeriderCa posted:

I can say that in my entire experience carrying firearms, I have never once worried about shooting someone wrongfully. I'm very comfortable and confident in my ability to assess and use force, and although I realize that as a human being I'll never be perfect and I could make a mistake that ends somebody's life, it is such a remote possibility that I've never worried about it.

I think I know what you're trying to say here, but I find this pretty disturbing. Even the most well trained officer should still have some worries about this. Thinking that a mistake or an accident or any number of factors that could crop up in the heat of the moment could definitely never happen to you is probably what every cop thinks before it actually does. It's a serious enough thing that I'd like to think you'd worried about it once or twice at least!

• Locked thread