Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Higher taxes, cuts to education, the abc, the aged pension and medicare

:allears:

In all honesty, raising taxes is a pretty benign thing though. Our revenue base has been hosed ever since howard and costello. Would be nicer if he instead rolled back all the ridiculous tax cuts they put in but eh.

Maybe the levy will only apply to people under a certain income so as not to depress the economy by burdening job creators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

gay picnic defence posted:

In that case pointing out how dumb the LNP have been and how many promises they've broken would be the perfect way to get people thinking about voting the government out. The more likely reason is that the ALP are poo poo and dont have a coherent message to take to the electorate.
I know we are talking about the ALP media strategy here so actual logic may not apply. The most cogent reason for not going in hard at the moment may be that focus groups are still showing voter election mode fatigue. There's no point in having an effective message if nobody is actually listening.

As to the higher education disaster, its all anecdote but:

Australia is down one nerd boffin because the, then (1996) $25,000 P/A grant, wasn't enough to lure me away from a modestly paying job. Due to my much reduced circumstances, thanks O'Farrell, I was considering doing a Dip Ed. and filling one of the most needed sectors of teaching in rural Australia, Science/Maths. As it stood it was touch and go but any increase in the disincentive and it sure as gently caress isn't going to be a thing.

Whole thing makes no sense, is clearly ideological, Thank You can I have some more Sir!

Clearly when they said 'taxes' they mean the GST.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Splode posted:

Is it possible Labor are doing nothing because they figure Australians vote governments out rather than voting governments in?
So their plan is to just keep a low profile to avoid the murdoch media murder machine and wait for Abbott to alienate absolutely everyone before winning the next election by default.

I'm not saying it's a good plan, just speculating.

It's called the small target strategy and it's the reason Kim beazely was prime minister for 13 years.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
I've updated the Hare-Clark report with some better design and Google Earth maps

If you want a printable version for whatever reason let me know, I've got a far higher-resolution one available.

e: poo poo Eora did the thing again, I've uploaded a revision

Quantum Mechanic fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 27, 2014

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

TAXES ARE LOWER UNDER A COALITION GOVERNMENT.

*raises taxes*

e: I did a quick sample of the domestic full fee cost for a random business subject at UQ first year and it was $2720. You do nominally 4 subjects a semester.

The calculator is here: http://www.uq.edu.au/study/archive/fees_wizard_start.html you can just type "IBUS" in the subject area and it'll return all IBUS**** subjects. ENGG for engineering, PHYS/BIOL for some sciences, if you want to sample others.

e2:
Business: $2720
Science: $3300
Vet science: $5120
Arts: $1940

multiply by 4 for a full semester load.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 27, 2014

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It's called the small target strategy and it's the reason Kim beazely was prime minister for 13 years.

I will never forget that man, whoever he was.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Nam Taf posted:

*raises taxes*

Speaking of which NewsCorp is pissed

quote:

Workers set to be hit by a debt tax and families could lose benefits as the Abbott government struggles to reduce the nation’s deficit

SAMANTHA MAIDEN NATIONAL POLITICAL EDITOR
The Sunday Telegraph
April 26, 2014 10:00PM

TONY Abbott has refused to rule out tax hikes in his first budget under a new deficit levy to fix Labor’s debt mess.

The Prime Minister today said he would not “squib the challenge” of repairing the budget.

Asked to respond to reports in News Corp Sunday papers today that he was considering a deficit levy Mr Abbott said he would not comment on specific measures but said any changes would be “fair”.

“This was probably the most disastrous government in our history. It’s important the mess be tackled,” he said.

“I do want reassure the people of Australia that we will tackle the fiscal disaster that we inherited. Now we are going to do it in ways that are faithful to the commitments we made.

“But we are not going to squib the challenge. We will do it in a way that is fair and equitable.”

Any deficit levy would be temporary and would hit high income earners the hardest.

Today, we revealed that workers will be forced to dig into their own pockets to pay off the country’s debt and families could face losing benefits as the Abbott government struggles to reduce the nation’s deficit.

FUTURE FUNDS PARTY ON YOUR CASH:

Any decision to impose a new deficit levy in the Abbott government’s first term is politically risky and will be seized upon by Labor leader Bill Shorten as a breach of faith after the Prime Minister’s pledge to be a government of “no surprises, no excuses’’. But it would likely be dumped before the next election.

WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR:

1. $6 co-payment for “free” bulk billed GP visits

2. Budget razor gang considering tightening income rules for family welfare

3. Pension age to be raised to 70 but will not come into effect until 2029

4. No change to asset test that allows retirees to have million dollar homes and claim the aged pension

5. Paid parental leave scheme to be introduced in 2015 with mutual obligation requirements asking mums to return to work

Warning all Australians will be asked to bear short-term pain, the budget razor gang has now signed off on most major spending decisions with federal cabinet to hold a marathon budget meeting on Monday.

A final decision on tax thresholds for the proposed new deficit levy will become clearer when final revenue ­figures are in with the budget deficit likely to be finalised only in the week before the May 13 budget.

Any temporary levy will be targeted at high-income earners. For example, wealthy workers earning $200,000 a year contributed nearly half the $1.8 billion raised by Julia Gillard’s flood levy; those earning less than $50,000 paid nothing under Labor’s levy.

There is also a push to tighten means tests or scrap Family Tax Benefit B aimed at traditional families with a stay-at-home parent.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal the long-awaited Audit Commision, to be released on Thursday, suggested that FTB B aimed at sole breadwinners with stay-at- home wives should be scrapped in favour of a single payment that combined Family Tax Benefit A and B.
Nicole Wadeley is worried about the knock on effect for her family.

Nicole Wadeley is worried about the knock on effect for her family. Source: News Corp Australia

The existing scheme offers a form of de facto income splitting for traditional families with a stay-at-home parent and a main breadwinner with a combined family income of up to $176,000. It also offers benefits for single parents earning less than $150,000.

By comparison, the means test for families where two parents work is much tougher. Family Tax Benefit A cuts out at as low as $101,000 for one child under 12 or up to $129,959 in combined income for three children.

The government will make a range of decisions which are important for Australia’s long-term economic strength, because the most fundamental commitment that we gave at the election was to build a strong and prosperous economy.
Tony Abbott

But stung by a growing public backlash last week over plans to raise the pension age to 70, the Abbott government wants to proceed cautiously.

In a statement, Mr Abbott will vow to keep his election promises with a caveat that his biggest pledge was to repair the budget: “The government will make a range of decisions which are important for Australia’s long-term economic strength, because the most fundamental commitment that we gave at the election was to build a strong and prosperous economy.’’

Treasurer Joe Hockey has also warned that those who have the most capacity will be asked to carry the greatest burden, suggesting tax hikes for high-income earners.

Commission of Audit Chairman Tony Shepherd stressed the final ­report would not target vulnerable families including single parents in any changes to family benefits.

FUTURE FUNDS PARTY ON YOUR CASH:

FORMER treasurer Peter Costello’s Future Fund spent $8000 of taxpayers’ money on a Christmas party at a venue called La Di Da that offers burlesque evenings; but it insists there were “absolutely not’’ any strippers.

A catalogue of extraordinary spending at the fund reveals the end-of-year bacchanalia was small change compared to the $8 million in cash bonuses last year to some of the organisation’s 92 staff.

There were also 88 credit cards issued for 92 staff with spending limits of between $2000 and $15,000.

Mr Costello, Australia’s longest-serving treasurer, established the sovereign wealth fund in 2006 and was appointed as chairman by Joe Hockey in February.

No other candidates were considered for the $198,000-a-year part-time job. According to documents tabled in Parliament, a second Christmas party was then organised for the fund’s seven board members and 75 staff at an extra catering cost of $4000.

Since Tony Abbott was elected the Future Fund has spent nearly $5000 a day on airfares, $900,000 on ­recruitment costs and $15,500 for “human chemistry” consultancies.

Future Fund spokesman Will Hetherton said the $8 million performance bonuses were justified and ­reflected the strong man-agement of the $107 billion in investments.

The fund said the La Di Da Christmas Party package included “venue hire, food and drink as well as music from a DJ but there was “absolutely not” any burlesque dancing.

La Di DA’s website boasts of all male strip ­revenues and burlesque routines and features ­dozens of photographs of a woman’s bottom clad in a G-string.

You did it Abbott - officially you have managed to make a budget and promises NO ONE is happy with. You did it. :australia:

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

Nam Taf posted:

*raises taxes*

Also the way things are going the next move on interest rates will be up rather than down, at which point everyone can remember that interest rates will ALWAYS be lower under a coalition government.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
http://www.hrw.org/world-report/2014/country-chapters/australia?page=1

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
"Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good."

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Pred1ct posted:

Also the way things are going the next move on interest rates will be up rather than down, at which point everyone can remember that interest rates will ALWAYS be lower under a coalition government.

Pfft, facts. If interest rates are going up, just imagine how much MORE they'd be going up under Labor!!!!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Given so many people have bought houses with the interest rates low, the rates wouldn't need to go up by much to cause a housing crisis would they?

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Speaking of which, I'm still looking forward to all those battle reports from people who joined Labour to "change it from the inside".

How is that going?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

xutech posted:

Speaking of which, I'm still looking forward to all those battle reports from people who joined Labour to "change it from the inside".

How is that going?

Oh, the recent infiltrators have failed.

The long-term infiltrations? Great success, Labor has now officially been changed into Liberal from the inside!

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Given so many people have bought houses with the interest rates low, the rates wouldn't need to go up by much to cause a housing crisis would they?

Yes. I know multiple people who will be hosed as soon as interest rates go up because they are idiots and bought houses they couldn't afford with tiny deposits because the nice property developer told them it would be sweet.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

xutech posted:

How is that going?

gently caress the ALP, if you really want to make a difference you'll infiltrate the DLP like I have.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

gently caress the ALP, if you really want to make a difference you'll infiltrate the DLP like I have.

Hey guys, Ash Lael is back!

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Anidav posted:

THE MESS! :argh:

I really wish somebody would explain to me why, when your net government debt is a miniscule ~11% of GDP, the smart thing to do isn't to borrow a half a trillion dollars to invest in education, innovative industry sectors, and social services, raising our government debt to the perfectly sustainable level of about 30% of GDP and allowing us to build a stable and future-looking economy that isn't based on digging poo poo out of the ground.

What's the opposite of a mess? Because whatever it is describes Australia's public debt situation perfectly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I really wish somebody would explain to me why, when your net government debt is a miniscule ~11% of GDP, the smart thing to do isn't to borrow a half a trillion dollars to invest in education, innovative industry sectors, and social services, raising our government debt to the perfectly sustainable level of about 30% of GDP and allowing us to build a stable and future-looking economy that isn't based on digging poo poo out of the ground.

Surplus?

Surplus.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

What's the opposite of a mess? Because whatever it is describes Australia's public debt situation perfectly.

But, BUDGET EMERGENCY!!!!

The problem with the sovreign debt is that the average person looks at it through the eyes of a home "owner" (or a home loan owner) and thinks, THATS A LOT OF DEBT!. Because, yes, relative to their debt it's a lot. It's then easy to make any kind of national debt of that size look huge and play it up as a CRISIS and EMERGENCY because the average person only understands economics on a personal level.

But yes, our national debt is tiny and we should be investing as much as we can now while we can do it instead of cutting back for an emergency that doesn't exist.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Smudgie Buggler posted:

A neat well ordered economy.

This is what the IMF has been calling it since 2007 and is why Swanee was called the greatest treasurer ever.

It's old news. http://thisisseriouscom.wordpress.com/2012/12/17/who-let-the-dog-whistles-out/

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

While interest rates can't realistically go much further down, I don't think they are going to go up in a hurry either.

But yes, if they do, many people are in for a very bad time. Mostly because housing market is not regulated enough to reflect a real value, but one that will go up as interest rates go down in order to bleed people of every last dollar possible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

South Korea's prime minister is in the news, and I can only reflect on the caliber of person that Australia has as its Prime Minister.

quote:

South Korean prime minister Chung Hong-won has announced his resignation over the government's response to the April 16 ferry disaster which killed at least 180 people.

The Sewol ferry sank on a routine trip south from the port of Incheon to the traditional holiday island of Jeju.

"I offer my apology for having been unable to prevent this accident from happening and unable to properly respond to it afterwards," Mr Chung said.

"I believed I, as the prime minister, certainly had to take responsibility and resign."

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

CrazyTolradi posted:

But, BUDGET EMERGENCY!!!!

The problem with the sovreign debt is that the average person looks at it through the eyes of a home "owner" (or a home loan owner) and thinks, THATS A LOT OF DEBT!. Because, yes, relative to their debt it's a lot. It's then easy to make any kind of national debt of that size look huge and play it up as a CRISIS and EMERGENCY because the average person only understands economics on a personal level.

But most people's home loans are several times their annual income, so how do they not look at Australia's debt levels and think "poo poo, if I only owed a little over half of what I earn in a year [government revenue of ~$340bn against debt of ~$175bn] I'd be laughing"?

Answer: Howard's Battlers. They're loving stupid.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 27, 2014

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

SynthOrange posted:

South Korea's prime minister is in the news, and I can only reflect on the caliber of person that Australia has as its Prime Minister.

If that were Tony Abbott he'd be blaming Labor for sinking the ferry.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Smudgie Buggler posted:

But most people's home loans are several times their annual income, so how do they not look at Australia's debt levels and think "poo poo, if I only owed 11.6% of what I produce in a year I'd be laughing"?

Answer: Howard's Battlers. They're loving stupid.

No, it's because people think of it like a household budget as that's the only relevant experience they have.

My income is $500 billion per year, so I can't spend more than $450 billion a year or debt collectors will start sending me angry letters and repossessing my poo poo.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
If Tony Abbott is going to make it difficult/impossible for me to study at uni to be a library person right after I've actually decided to do something with my dumb life then I will be forced to pout or something.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Smudgie Buggler posted:

The issue is that

1. the actions of the LNP are counter-intuitive only if you assume that they have Australia's best interests at heart, and
2. the actions of the ALP are counter-intuitive only if you assume that they have Australia's best interests at heart.

So you have a governing party that is looking to squeeze as much money out of a country that they, as private citizens and heads of corporations, have been squeezing for many many generations. And you have an opposition party controlled by people who want to achieve the exact same, but, failing that, would prefer to be Captain of a sinking ship than First Mate of a spaceship.

Add into it an already-racist population who is completely unaware of their own privilege and who has grown increasingly anti-intellectual, submerged in a monopolised media environment that is in cahoots with the political parties to ensure maximum personal profit.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

webmeister posted:

Carbon tax putting undue strain on hardworking boat operators just trying to make a living, Labor murdered those schoolchildren and we need a royal commission

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

webmeister posted:

If that was Abbott he'd be claiming personal responsibility for murdering all those people on a boat and have a massive increase in preferred prime minister polls (preferred to who? :shrug:)

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Burdensome regulatory red tape was skillfully dodged by a Captain of Ferry Industry and then everyone died.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Carbon tax putting undue strain on hardworking boat operators just trying to make a living, Labor murdered those schoolchildren and we need a royal commission

If the ferry owners and operators hadn't been constrained by these socialist regulations and carbon taxes, they wouldn't have had to cheat and lie to meet market demands and turn a profit. If they hadn't been shackled by the exigencies of bribing incessant safety inspections, they never would have had to spend time and money lying and cheating on their safety protocols at all, and they could have invested that money in actually operating a safe vessel instead of overloading it 3x capacity and scrimping on every other safety protocol to offset Labor waste, Mr. Speaker.

e: You see, it's perfectly logical. If I hadn't had to spend all that time and money bribing my way past these pinko safety regulations, I would have been free to re-invest my profits in exceeding the safety requirements, guided skilfully by the caring hand of the free market.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Public debt situation is fine now but it won't be in 20 years when all the baby boomers have retired, hidden their fortunes in family trusts and starting claiming the age pension.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Haters Objector posted:

Public debt situation is fine now but it won't be in 20 years when all the baby boomers have retired, hidden their fortunes in family trusts and starting claiming the age pension.

You say the wealthy are bleeding this country dry? Bleeding, you say? I have it! We'll start a volunteer 'Red army' of forcibly-drafted poors and sell their blood overseas to offset the debts accrued by me and people like me. It's about time they shouldered their fare share of the burden, after all.

e: Incidentally, while we're shifting the Overton window, you might also note that the lower-class constitutes a remarkably vibrant source of:

wage-slave labour
prostitute slaves
glue precursors
livers
kidneys
eyes
and various other essential ingredients that can be used to elongate our own worthwhile lives.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Captain Pissweak posted:

If that was Abbott he'd be claiming personal responsibility for murdering all those people on a boat and have a massive increase in preferred prime minister polls (preferred to who? :shrug:)
Let's not forget he described the Costa Concordia as "one boat that did get stopped"

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Haters Objector posted:

This is where I think the Inuits had it right, take them out to the snowfields and let nature take it's course.

While we don't have snowfields, we do have very large areas of desert that I'm sure would benefit from the added nutrients.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 27, 2014

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Problem with that is every 1 in 1000 people left to die in the desert manage to survive by drinking lizard blood and scurrying about under the sand until they make their way back to civilisation, dried out and emotionally scarred by the experience, and they can't stop drinking lizard blood and obsessing about the death of the people who abandoned them, and then 1 in every 5 of those gets elected Prime Minister

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Jonah Galtberg posted:

..putting undue strain on hardworking boat operators..

This was an election promise, hth.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

The issue is that

1. the actions of the LNP are counter-intuitive only if you assume that they have Australia's best interests at heart, and
2. the actions of the ALP are counter-intuitive only if you assume that they have Australia's best interests at heart.

The ALPs actions are counter-intuitive even if you assume they only have their own interests at heart. The amount of free-kicks they've been handed that they seem to refuse because they can't see beyond western sydney or they can't see beyond their own hosed up internal politics is stunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

If Tony Abbott is going to make it difficult/impossible for me to study at uni to be a library person right after I've actually decided to do something with my dumb life then I will be forced to pout or something.

Enrol for next semester and then defer. I'm currently studying to be a library person 1 or 2 subjects at a time and there is no way I am going to unenrol from this course for the foreseeable future.

• Locked thread