Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

deadly claris posted:

I really don't like the art in the promo image. I guess it's pretty, but really reminiscent of run-of-the-mill Takeuchi-inspired fanart that pops up allover the place and it doesn't strike me as memorable, or as a style that would work well in animation. There is so much going wrong from the chest down that it kind of boggles my mind. I can ignore the problems with her chest, but below the waist is impossible. She literally has no rear end, and her poor legs. I just have no idea what even.

I've been so excited for this, but the anniversary CD was really underwhelming for me and this image makes the artist in me want to wring some necks and scribble all over the place.

e: After looking at this more I am totally positive this is Takeuchi's work and I'm feeling more optimistic about the anime.

You are reading an awful lot into one promo image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

M'aiq thinks deadly claris is best partner in crime.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

You are reading an awful lot into one promo image.

I really can't help it. I draw a lot and things like that really pop out at me. I have never been a huge fan of Takeuchi's artwork, but her work is iconic enough that most of it doesn't bother me anymore (and if this isn't drawn by her, it was certainly very heavily inspired by her because it has her style markers drawn all over it.) It just strikes me as strange that such oversights would be made.

I think the problem I'm having is that I've seen better fanart. And that aside, I've seen better from Takeuchi. And this is the 20th anniversary of what is her greatest piece of work. I was expecting better, for how long we have been waiting for literally every detail from this production. I just had my hopes up and way out to the Andromeda galaxy when I needed them reeled way in to Earth. :blush:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The art was drawn by the character designer, for clarification.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
No you're right, that image is a mess. The constantly shifting perspective on her makes her look like she's phasing through different dimensions. Look at those barrettes compared to the perspective on her face, what the hell is going on there? Is her scalp peeling over? And she's doing the boobs n' butt pose.

Flowing hair and the lens flare tool can only save so much. There's lots of stuff worth taking from the manga, but the art style they should not. Takeuchi's understanding of 3D space can be roughly summarized as 'there are swirls and doilies to fix this!'

Celes
Feb 23, 2008

None have ever truly known the woman beneath the general's guise...
The image doesn't really bother me, but I'm not super big on the name. I get why it's called 'Crystal' and all, but it's a little long. (Not that SuperS wasn't, but yanno.) I'm probably going to end up calling it PGSM:C.

The image does look very manga-esque to me, and I'm curious as to how it'll be translated into animation; hopefully it'll work out well. I'm not too worried since it's just one image, and I'm sure we'll get more as we get closer to the anime's release.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Who knows what the animation will actually look like, but Naoko Takeuchi rules and I could look at her art all day long.

a kitten posted:

Her art ranges from "pretty good" to "completely incredible" and a lot of the page and panel layouts are amazing. And while her character designs don't have much to do with anything resembling actual anatomy (it's like 70% leg/15% hair/14% eyeball/1% everything else) everything is really expressive and fun just to look at.

a kitten posted:

I really liked her artwork and occasionally there will be a page, or even just a panel that's really eye-poppingly beautiful. I especially love when she just has Sailor Moon's already impossibly long hair just continue right off of the page seemingly to infinity.

As a random sample of what I mean, look at this: (sorry it's the old, flipped tokyopop version, couldn't find scans of the new translation)

Hair and ribbons right off of the page, panels over and under and behind each other. There's pages where characters step through and peek around panel borders, and pages where the panels borders are created by weapons or hair.

I guess what I'm saying is Naoko Takeuchi is a pretty skilled comics artist. :shobon:

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Celes posted:

The image doesn't really bother me, but I'm not super big on the name. I get why it's called 'Crystal' and all, but it's a little long. (Not that SuperS wasn't, but yanno.) I'm probably going to end up calling it PGSM:C.

It's kind of awkward, because the first series of the original anime is often abbreviated as 'SMC' for Sailor Moon Classic. Maybe people will start using 'SM1' for the old series and 'SMC' for the new one?

keet
Aug 20, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

Well at leaest the Mamrou scenes might pop. That's something. Bout time he got something to do other than be set up for the final blow or the dood in distress.

Man when they get to R and he gets to pull of Tuxedo La Smoking Bomber with that sort of Gundam flare :c00lbert:

Mamoru is always interesting from a creator standpoint because every adaptation tries to do something weird with him to try and make him more... relevant? cool? to the audience even though it generally tells you more about how shows handle male characters than really fit him (I always think back to Takeuchi's comment a lot of the adaptations are in a "male perspective"). In the old show he did some older mentor thing, PGSM had him be this aloof cool guy, but p much all the best versions seem to end up with the actor in charge just doing whatever. I was always fond of him just as the sort of weird vaguely powered boyfriend of the main character who gets up to things as a C-plot like in the original comic, and I'm really hoping we just get a straightfoward adaptation of that for once. Especially because the big upsell of a main character romance isn't even really such a huge draw in Magical Girl stuff anymore.

I think the reboot will take some visual cues from the old anime cause, well, it's an anime made by Toei and they've been polishing that rock for two decades now (sorta like how PGSM has some bits in it that are purely "this is a thing J Drama does) but i think any specific quirks might be wholly new. Unless it's going to be less strict to the old MOTD format (I can't see a modern anime being as rambling as some of the old 90s stuff could be) and do more of a mangaarc/miniarc cluster thing of episodes.

Then again it might just (ironically) ape Pretty Cure, but with the big push to set up a nostalgic branch of merchandise even before the new series begins, it makes me wonder if they're gonna skew it "older" this time around or something.

keet fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 30, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Seramyu Mamoru owns and gets some of the best songs (although they're all short).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SzwSgyF4lI

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

a kitten posted:

Who knows what the animation will actually look like, but Naoko Takeuchi rules and I could look at her art all day long.

Yea pretty much she's a great example of how 'it's a style choice' can actually be used to describe things that are really cool. Her weird mostly legs bodies and crazy flowing hair and ribbons and weapons on every single character shouldn't really work but she's got enough talent and ability to make it unique and cool.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://sailormoon-official.com/information/post_105.php

New musical in Summer, Black Moon arc this time.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://sailormoon-official.com/information/post_110.php

They will be announcing the cast for the new series at Nico Chokaigi 3 in 9 days.

Livestream available here http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv176156347

Will be interesting to see if the got anyone back.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Well, at least one person outright retired since then. I'm kinda interested to see who's new.

Quite a few current voice actresses in the business now grew up watching this show.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The producer also just tweeted they're revealing the character art/designs at the event too.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Gearhead posted:

Well, at least one person outright retired since then. I'm kinda interested to see who's new.

Quite a few current voice actresses in the business now grew up watching this show.

It'll be interesting to see if they want to keep the same vocal tones from the original anime or change up how each of them will sound.

I'm most interested in the new art designs. I wonder how girls who have been watching pretty cure will accept it.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I hope they include some kick-rear end new songs. A new song like La Solider or Moon Revenge would be awesome.

Also, I want the person who sang the new Makenai to sing more, please. I hope they don't take the cheap route and Auto-tune everything

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
I am watching the Niconico stream and so far the biggest news for the anime is that Mitsuishi Kotono is back as Moon, the rest of the inners are being voiced by new actresses.

e:
Moon: Mitsuishi Kotono
Mars: Rina Satô
Jupiter: Ami Koshimizu
Venus: Shizuka Ito
Mercury: Hisako Kanemoto

ee:
The anime will start airing on July 5th. The designs are still kinda meh but Naoko personally approved them so we'll see what they are like in action.

I Watson fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 27, 2014

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Chins.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Moon, Mars, Venus and Jupiter from La Reconquista are reprising their roles for the new musical, Petit Etranger. New actress for Mercury.

I hope the Mamoru from LR will be returning, too. She was really good.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
They also mentioned something called Sailor Moon DNA but I wasn't able to understand what it is. New art looks a bit rushed as far as full body designs. I'll assume that they'll clean it up as time goes on. Excited that Mitsune is back as Moon though. I guess they were saying how Naoko wanted a new cast but at the same time felt like Moon's voice was iconic? Hope they'll announce who plays Tuxedo Mask and Luna next.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

That art looks... bad. Definitely not worth two years of hype.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Pointy chins do look more like the manga

delirious pancake
Dec 29, 2006
in your grocer's freezer
I was OK with that promo image a few weeks ago, but this art... I really, really hope it looks better in motion. The faces are so pointy and the eyes are not very nice looking. Sort of empty. Takeuchi has such a beautiful art style, but this art captures none of it.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
I'm so excited that it seems it's going to be a lot more like the manga, not just from the art style, but in terms of story. There's more images here showing off the school uniforms. I love how much they've changed them up to give them more personalized looks!

Edit with more pictures on the official site! I'm most excited to see Rei sounding more like manga Rei!

Tree Huffer fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 27, 2014

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tree Huffer posted:

I'm so excited that it seems it's going to be a lot more like the manga, not just from the art style, but in terms of story. There's more images here showing off the school uniforms. I love how much they've changed them up to give them more personalized looks!

The designs look better in these images. The image posted above, the chins were too pointy and the faces seemed too small for the eyes they contained. In other words, it's officially official that animation studios do not want to revert back to 90s style anime. Oh well, I feel these look good enough that I'm interested to see it in motion.

Honestly, so long as they bring back the original VA for Usagi I'm totally down. She has never lead me astray with her anime roles.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The designs actually look way more 90s/old school then the majority of anime currently airing! The staff basically said Naoko is breathing down their backs and personally approved the designs soooo it looks like we're getting her vision. I actually really like the character designs after seeing them on the site, the shots they used for the presentation were really bad and I dunno what the deal was there.

None of you posted the bad news that its all-but-confirmed Nico only (no TV airing) and is also bi-weekly (1st and 3rd Saturday of each month) instead of weekly.

Also to whoever was questioning the musical cast, the female Mamoru is back too :) http://www.nelke.co.jp/stage/sailormoon2014/

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly, the redesigns kinda prod that same space in my head that the JoJo's anime designs did so hopefully that means Toei will translate as well as David production did/is doing.

Voice cast is...interesting, Thinking about Manga Rei for example, yeah I could buy Misaka from Railgun for that voice. The voice of Squid Girl being Ami is...huh.

The Fortnightly thing, fine, as long as they don't gently caress up.

We did not get hosed around for two years for it to all go sideways right now.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I really like the designs in the character art on the site. Ami's baggy jumper is great.

aers posted:

Also to whoever was questioning the musical cast, the female Mamoru is back too :) http://www.nelke.co.jp/stage/sailormoon2014/

Awesome, she gave a great performance. Okubo was a brilliant Usagi, too.

Everyone else was good as well but those two were real standouts.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Honestly, the redesigns kinda prod that same space in my head that the JoJo's anime designs did so hopefully that means Toei will translate as well as David production did/is doing.

Voice cast is...interesting, Thinking about Manga Rei for example, yeah I could buy Misaka from Railgun for that voice. The voice of Squid Girl being Ami is...huh.

The Fortnightly thing, fine, as long as they don't gently caress up.

We did not get hosed around for two years for it to all go sideways right now.

Until we know who the key animation staff is (in theory the character designer is the chief animation director BUT they aren't confirming this yet so who knows) it'll be hard to really know....

However, the art directors are absolutely fantastic and are more than capable of pulling off the style, some of the best Toei has to offer (notably they worked on Mononoke, Kyousougiga, Gatchaman Crowds, and some other shows by the Crowds director), which means the background aesthetic should be good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I really like the school uniforms and how different they are from each other, overall I have to say I'm pretty excited about the new designs.

Not so much about the fact that it's Nico only though.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
Yes, the designs look much better outside of that one still they used in the event. As far as Nico goes, I watched the simulcast of Blood-C with no problems on it a couple of years ago, in fact it was fun to put the annotations on when the series went way the hell off the rails. Has the general watching experience improved or declined since then?

tsuki
Aug 30, 2005
Lipstick Apathy

aers posted:

None of you posted the bad news that its all-but-confirmed Nico only (no TV airing) and is also bi-weekly (1st and 3rd Saturday of each month) instead of weekly.

That's really disappointing. :( Any reason why? Seems pretty strange, has there been anime aired like this before (not weekly)?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Uhm.. GITS: SAC? That was aired on a PPV channel bi-weekly. Can't really think of anything else.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Katanagatari came out monthly, definitely doesn't seem very common.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I am super okay with Ami Koshimizu voicing Jupiter.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

tsuki posted:

That's really disappointing. :( Any reason why? Seems pretty strange, has there been anime aired like this before (not weekly)?
There have before, but those have all been special circumstances as mentioned in the past two posts. TV stations want to have regular programming scheduled or at least have someone holding those timeslots (see Hanamonogatari taking over Nisekoi's timeslot for 5 weeks, the Fate/Zero recaps for 2 weeks after Nisemonogatari finished earlier, and Future Diary occupying the first three weeks of spring 2012 before Hyouka aired). Thus shows will run weekly so that programming can be standardized for three weeks.

Given the delays and the fact that the project managers at Toei tend to be on the more horrible side in regards to scheduling for actual animation work, my guess is that production is slightly behind schedule. This led to episodes being done bi-weekly, which a TV station wouldn't want to deal with, so Nico was the only option. We'll likely see a TV run at some point (in Japan at least, anywhere else is up for grabs), but who knows when.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Waffleman_ posted:

I am super okay with Ami Koshimizu voicing Jupiter.

Same here, she's done characters that kind of fit the tough yet sweet image that Jupiter has.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Same here, she's done characters that kind of fit the tough yet sweet image that Jupiter has.

She's also one of my favorite VAs voicing my favorite Sailor. It's a win win.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://mangastyle.net/sailormoon-materials-collection/

You can basically see a direct inspiration for the chara designs in the manga's materials artbook. Hell, half the poses are even the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Koshimizu's one of the raddest ladies in VA. I'd rather have her on Mars, but Jupiter's certainly a decent choice too. Plus, where she goes, FukuJun is often not far behind. Oh it'd be nice for him to show up as a villain. :allears:

That bi-weekly thing sucks though.

• Locked thread