Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Safety Scissors posted:

This is hilarious.

I'm getting a new laptop in a few days, just waiting for it to be shipped, but it only has the an onboard graphics card, HD4400. Will I be able to run this game on it?

I wouldn't have very high expectations, but it might at low resolution with most/all of the effects disabled.

the HD4xxx series is pretty old now, and a 4400 is simply low-end; basically there to draw the Windows 7 aero desktop. Still, it is a DX9 GPU, and technically supports whatever this game will throw at it. Just comes down to a matter of speed. Unfortunately, it may not be able to handle the geometry, and there are some effects you can not disable, so where it may run, it might never be playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Yes, binoculars and lightning spear is great for sniping.

Sydin posted:

Oh hey, the poisonbite ring. Which you can only get by running through a moat of poison. Into a room full of enemies who release clouds of poison.

Okay then. :v:

Well it's not like Harvest Valley is the only level completely soaked in poison. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Darke GBF posted:

Now, when you say dudes, do you mean real people dudes, or just monsters and eventually it fills up an invisible bar and is like "good job bud, you earned your flesh back!"? Cause I think I have the small white soapstone.

The latter. Small White Soapstone is basically "Hey, mind if I piggyback on your game for a bit and help you fight dudes for a few minutes or so many souls so I can get a free humanity refill or a bit of grinding in?"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Darke GBF posted:

Now, when you say dudes, do you mean real people dudes, or just monsters and eventually it fills up an invisible bar and is like "good job bud, you earned your flesh back!"? Cause I think I have the small white soapstone.
Go kill regular monster dudes for a few minutes. The effect can be ridiculously short: Killing three guys in Heide's is usually enough for me to get sent back home.

Caik
Oct 3, 2013
The Looking Glass Knight is ridiculous loud. I almost got deaf from this stupid thunder.

I can't even turn it off in the option? What is this poo poo?

Caik fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 27, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Go kill regular monster dudes for a few minutes. The effect can be ridiculously short: Killing three guys in Heide's is usually enough for me to get sent back home.

I was following a guy as a shade. First thing he does is pull the lever in Iron Keep that dumps some enemies into lava. Duty fulfilled, returning home. :v:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Umberger posted:

NG+ seems to significantly relax the Soul Memory restriction on both invading and co-op.

It does not. The exact same SM tiers exist for both ng and ng+.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

neetengie posted:

Yeah, there's a new dev team for this game, and it does show.
Whoa, seriously? I tried my best to stay away from all information about the game before getting to play it myself, so I had no idea. If it was made by a completely different team then it's no wonder everything about it just feels ever so slightly "off." Man, that's a really bone-headed decision on From's part.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
So, upon reflection I might have done something foolish. I hear talk of smith in Lost Bastille, and well. I think I met that guy, seemed to be acting pretty crazy. So I killed him.
What have I messed up for myself?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Genocyber posted:

It does not. The exact same SM tiers exist for both ng and ng+.

You're correct. I see now that the belief comes from the large expansion of SM tiers that people generally hit in NG+ (i.e. instead of being a 50,000 soul range it is now 1,000,000).

Caik posted:

The Looking Glass Knight is ridiculous loud. I almost got deaf from this stupid thunder.

I think the cause of that is that none of the lightning attacks obey your ingame sound settings. If you ever watch a speedrun/stream of the game it's pretty ridiculous.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

So, upon reflection I might have done something foolish. I hear talk of smith in Lost Bastille, and well. I think I met that guy, seemed to be acting pretty crazy. So I killed him.

You just lost the ability to do infusions (so you can't change your weapon's element/scaling).

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there any point in using the Cloranthy Ring? +3.5% stamina recovery speed seems almost completely worthless?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

One of the better blacksmiths in the game, and access to infinite large titnite shards.

:v:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Sydin posted:

One of the better blacksmiths in the game, and access to infinite large titnite shards.

:v:

Cool. Was starting to get a bit bored of the dual Caestus guy anyway. It's really fun, and effective, but I want to play around with some weapons.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

But if someone is not able to be targeted, why kill them?
Next life you meet him light the sconce so he moves his fat rear end off the chest.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Cardiovorax posted:

Whoa, seriously? I tried my best to stay away from all information about the game before getting to play it myself, so I had no idea. If it was made by a completely different team then it's no wonder everything about it just feels ever so slightly "off." Man, that's a really bone-headed decision on From's part.

Yeah, I stayed away from info too and that's disappointing. It's still a fun game, but you can definitely tell that these guys are a long ways up their own asses in terms of making a xhardxcorex game first and foremost rather than an excellent game that ends up being very challenging.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

PirateBob posted:

Is there any point in using the Cloranthy Ring? +3.5% stamina recovery speed seems almost completely worthless?

It's a little lovely unless you just have no clue what to use that fourth slot for, yeah. Like several of the other underwhelming versions of rings from the original game, it has +1 and +2 variants available later and in NG+ respectively that make a bigger impact. For those who actually want to know...

Cloranthy Ring +1 picked up in the foggy part of the Shaded Woods

Cloranthy Ring +2 drops from the Executioner's Chariot on NG+

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

neetengie posted:

But if someone is not able to be targeted, why kill them?
Next life you meet him light the sconce so he moves his fat rear end off the chest.

Eh, it wouldn't be me and a souls game where I didn't kill an important NPC foolishly. I honestly was considering starting over anyway, since I really want to try other things.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Eh, it wouldn't be me and a souls game where I didn't kill an important NPC foolishly. I honestly was considering starting over anyway, since I really want to try other things.

Killing him also misses out on an achievement in the game, if you care about that sort of thing.

But really, unless someone is obviously hostile don't kill them! Most of the NPCs have a purpose, either as merchant or they have a storyline.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Yo I forgot where the Burger King Greatsword is, is it in the OIK? I have the other 3, and I can currently wield the Halberd with the Tower Shield only without going over burden - how is the Greatsword's weight and stat distribution?
Currently a policeman and I'm having a hard time deciding on the ring loadout, but I'm currently keeping the Royal Soldiers, Second Dragon, and CLoranthy +1 with switching the Blue Sentinel ring and the Bracing Knuckle Ring+1 in the same slot. Good idea or should I replace something else?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly, I find even the Cloranthy +1 underwhelming and would probably prefer a Ring of Blades (for a melee build) or whichever Ritual Band raises attunement slots (for a caster build) in almost every circumstance. Or the Stone Ring, for PVP.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Would I be making a huge mistake if I did co-op in the forest to boost my level a little? I'm doing it now to try and see the whole place before I go solo but wouldn't mind levelling a bit since I'm only 15 at the minute, starting as sorcerer

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Holy poo poo this game is long. I'm 40 hours in and still have a couple of areas I think.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Maces have a tendency to hit the floor a lot and so lose durability like crazy.

But only when you're not using powerstance moves.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

PirateBob posted:

Considering stamina is the mechanism that meters all offense and defense, every bit can count for a lot, particular regeneration.

Additionally, all else being the same, the Royal Soldier's Ring, which increases equip load, generally provides a MUCH smaller effective stamina regen bonus (lower equip load % means lower stamina regen penalty), although this can be thrown off with a lot of VIT.

It is a good ring, the +1 and +2 are definitely up there with "the best" rings at their given ranks. I love it, even the vanilla version. If you don't feel it provides much benefit, don't hesitate to swap with something else. Where "the best" in this game may be a thing, most things seem pretty well balanced enough that they do not so grossly overshadow everything else that it doesn't ultimately come down to a matter of taste. Use what you feel helps the most.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Umberger posted:

I don't think there's any automatic anti-cheat, but if you've been VAC banned you are unable to use the online features. Here is a guide on how to report people.

There is no anti-cheating mechanism of any kind.

The server queries your account stats and if you have a VAC-ban on record for any game, your connection is refused. That's all there is. And you can get VAC bans for things other than cheating, it's not exactly a perfect system.

Finally, reporting in the way you mentioned does nothing. Those reports are to Valve, who have nothing to do with the banning portion of this game; that's all on From.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

neetengie posted:

Yo I forgot where the Burger King Greatsword is, is it in the OIK? I have the other 3, and I can currently wield the Halberd with the Tower Shield only without going over burden - how is the Greatsword's weight and stat distribution?
Currently a policeman and I'm having a hard time deciding on the ring loadout, but I'm currently keeping the Royal Soldiers, Second Dragon, and CLoranthy +1 with switching the Blue Sentinel ring and the Bracing Knuckle Ring+1 in the same slot. Good idea or should I replace something else?

The what?

Only thing I can think of is the Iron King Hammer that you can get for his soul from Weaponsmith Ornifex.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Who's bright idea was it to make a a room full of poison dart spitters that have no visible pressure plates and can't be broken? This is worse than the drat gutter/gultch.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the only thing that surprised me more than them giving us four ring slots is that I frequently find myself unsure of what to use in 2-3 slots because a whole bunch of the rings are useful but not overwhelmingly so (i.e. nothing is on par with Havel's or the Hornet Ring, the Wolf Ring equivalent is weaker, etc).

Maybe we'll get 8 ring slots next time.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Who's bright idea was it to make a a room full of poison dart spitters that have no visible pressure plates and can't be broken? This is worse than the drat gutter/gultch.

If you're talking about the castle, roll constantly through that room. You'll still probably get hit opening the door though. :shrug:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah, the only thing that surprised me more than them giving us four ring slots is that I frequently find myself unsure of what to use in 2-3 slots because a whole bunch of the rings are useful but not overwhelmingly so (i.e. nothing is on par with Havel's or the Hornet Ring, the Wolf Ring equivalent is weaker, etc).

Maybe we'll get 8 ring slots next time.

Liberace Souls

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

The thing you have to do is not obvious at all, so it's partially the game's fault.

True. It doesn't help that the necessary prompt can be a bit fickle to reach even if orange signs give hints. Luckily the other few summonings that happened the other golden phantom - when available - was also onboard trying to guide the host. Pointing out secret doors still takes a while until they press the button instead of attacking. (Hosts also tend to die against Mytha pretty often even after the poison is drained.)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

If you're talking about the castle, roll constantly through that room. You'll still probably get hit opening the door though. :shrug:

Oh, I know. I've been through it a few times. The big problem is that there's a giant room full of knights with impressively high magic resistance next and my options are run forward and aggro them all, or fight on the stairs/in the worst room ever.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Alkydere posted:

The latter. Small White Soapstone is basically "Hey, mind if I piggyback on your game for a bit and help you fight dudes for a few minutes or so many souls so I can get a free humanity refill or a bit of grinding in?"

:swoon: That sounds glorious.

edit: 3 knights in Heides. Awesome.

Just wish there was a way to tell which summon signs were in that same position, needing to tag along to regain humanity. I don't like help on bosses but I'd totally let them tag along for normal enemies.

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 27, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Oh, I know. I've been through it a few times. The big problem is that there's a giant room full of knights with impressively high magic resistance next and my options are run forward and aggro them all, or fight on the stairs/in the worst room ever.

They actually aren't very magic resistant, they just block a lot (or maybe they're weak to lightning spears). As a glass cannon sorceror, I just spammed firestorm with those guys. They don't block that very well.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Jose posted:

Would I be making a huge mistake if I did co-op in the forest to boost my level a little? I'm doing it now to try and see the whole place before I go solo but wouldn't mind levelling a bit since I'm only 15 at the minute, starting as sorcerer

Don't sweat it. There will be people of a huge variety of SM right now. You would have to go way way way out of your way to push yourself out of summing brackets for any given area with the populations being so saturated.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

The what?

Only thing I can think of is the Iron King Hammer that you can get for his soul from Weaponsmith Ornifex.

Well you know that there are 4 weapons that have BK before them right? Burger King? Black knight?
And no thanks to that Hammer, already ate his soul, and I really don't like that hammer.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

There is no anti-cheating mechanism of any kind.

The server queries your account stats and if you have a VAC-ban on record for any game, your connection is refused. That's all there is. And you can get VAC bans for things other than cheating, it's not exactly a perfect system.

Finally, reporting in the way you mentioned does nothing. Those reports are to Valve, who have nothing to do with the banning portion of this game; that's all on From.

Oh. Well then.

Well FROM at least has the capability to restrict people from accessing online play in some capacity right? :frogbon:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

They actually aren't very magic resistant, they just block a lot (or maybe they're weak to lightning spears). As a glass cannon sorceror, I just spammed firestorm with those guys. They don't block that very well.

Yeah, I just killed them. Turns out that they just seem to catch everything directional (like soul arrows or black orbs) on their shields. Also you only fight two of them, third dude just sits at the door and only takes a swing at you if you get too close.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

neetengie posted:

Well you know that there are 4 weapons that have BK before them right? Burger King? Black knight?
And no thanks to that Hammer, already ate his soul, and I really don't like that hammer.

Oh I completely ignored it because I couldn't use any of them for anything. Looks like the Greatsword is behind a hidden wall after Belfry Sol and Ultra Greatsword is in Brightstone Cove, whichever you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

Oh I completely ignored it because I couldn't use any of them for anything. Looks like the Greatsword is behind a hidden wall after Belfry Sol and Ultra Greatsword is in Brightstone Cove, whichever you're looking for.

Yeah just need the Greatsword really - time to get through the loving Belfry. Hate that place so much.