Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I just switched from big4 tax to investment banking and doubled my salary. If you all are anything like my coworkers and absolutely hate your job and want to change careers, there are lots of good opportunities out there. This isn't 2009 where you're just happy to have a job, go out and find a better one ;)

CPA helps a lot for that switch btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I just switched from big4 tax to investment banking and doubled my salary. If you all are anything like my coworkers and absolutely hate your job and want to change careers, there are lots of good opportunities out there. This isn't 2009 where you're just happy to have a job, go out and find a better one ;)

Can you elaborate more on this? Years experience in B4, position pre and post leaving, etc.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Bloody Queef posted:

Can you elaborate more on this? Years experience in B4, position pre and post leaving, etc.

1.5yrs as a big 4 tax associate (specifically international tax). Graduated from a top school with a high GPA and had a lot of client-facing experience (surprisingly) during those 1.5yrs. Pretty sure I would have been promoted in like 2 months, but who knows now. I just didn't like the work honestly, but my group was pretty dis-functional so that helped persuade me to jump ship. I eventually plan on getting my MBA so I wanted to shake the tax stigma sooner rather than later. Finance people seem to think tax people are nerds, at least that's what I've gathered from my interviews. The new position is an entry level ibanking gig at a boutique firm.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Finance people seem to think tax people are nerds

I'm glad you're eating at the cool kids table now!

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Just telling you guys things I wish someone told me before going into tax. You might not care but maybe someone else reading does :unsmith:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Doubled salary sounds great but I always thought ibanking was one of the industries with a higher burnout rate than Big4 busy seasons.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Just telling you guys things I wish someone told me before going into tax. You might not care but maybe someone else reading does :unsmith:

Don't let the nerds bother you.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Democratic Pirate posted:

Doubled salary sounds great but I always thought ibanking was one of the industries with a higher burnout rate than Big4 busy seasons.

Yeah, I was going to say, isn't ibanking like the one industry with worse hours than public accounting?

And were you hired specifically because of tax, or simply because you were big 4, etc? It sounds like the latter.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Harry posted:

Don't let the nerds bother you.

Get back to work nerd

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Entry level tax scrub can't handle tax hours, thinks investment banking will be easier.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Bloody Queef posted:

Entry level tax scrub can't handle tax hours, thinks investment banking will be easier.

Did you even read my post? drat you guys get defensive. It has nothing to do with the hours, it has to do with career options. Chill out.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Did you even read my post? drat you guys get defensive. It has nothing to do with the hours, it has to do with career options. Chill out.

I was just loving with you, no need to be upset. Everyone in any large public firm is a low level scrub until you make Sr manager.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I construct and promote tax shelters such as the Son of BOSS - beat that! :smugbert:

(No, I don't, but I am involved in industry-side PE tax planning).

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I'm currently sitting in the test center lobby waiting for my car pool buddy after taking AUD. I feel good about it, so my main concern is finding out my REG score on May 5-6. There's nothing to do now but wait, so it's time to play the game I like to call "how much whiskey and Netflix can one man consume in a day?"

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

chupacabraTERROR posted:

What kind of international tax work? Where did you come across the job?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I'm currently sitting in the test center lobby waiting for my car pool buddy after taking AUD. I feel good about it, so my main concern is finding out my REG score on May 5-6. There's nothing to do now but wait, so it's time to play the game I like to call "how much whiskey and Netflix can one man consume in a day?"

ETA until liver failure? :v:

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Cyrezar posted:

What kind of international tax work? Where did you come across the job?

50/50 consulting and compliance. Unusually heavy amounts of client-facing work for my staff level helped me get the new gig. Found the job through my alumni center.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ThirdPartyView posted:

ETA until liver failure? :v:

My roommates and I are on a Scrubs kick, so I'm going to drink until season 9 seems funny.

I'll need a permanent IV and lots more whiskey.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Well I just made the swap from small company cost / general accounting / purchasing / report writing to a very large company as a financial analyst. It's going to be a huge change as I'm coming from a company where the accounting team is 5 people and my new company has 7 financial analyst for just this division.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Unofficially passed REG - the score is up on the NASBA site but it isn't official until I get the email from the Texas state board. I don't think the score changes anyway, and if it does I should have enough of a margin to keep a passing mark.

Sukashi
Feb 13, 2006

the most fantastic monster employed at florsheim. potentially a homosexual
I've never heard a case where the advisory score differed from the letter. Congratulations!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Unofficially passed REG - the score is up on the NASBA site but it isn't official until I get the email from the Texas state board. I don't think the score changes anyway, and if it does I should have enough of a margin to keep a passing mark.

Congrats!

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I make $14/hour post-tax, based on my numbers up to the end of the year.

This career is fun.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Audax posted:

This career is fun.
~45k? Are you a CPA?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

SiGmA_X posted:

~45k? Are you a CPA?

I'm guessing his hours are pretty high.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Mandalay posted:

I'm guessing his hours are pretty high.

Yeah, but junior staff aren't very productive anyways (no offense). It takes a couple years for the light bulb to turn on and then they get promoted up the food chain or they leave and you're stuck starting over.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Audax posted:

This career is fun.

I make $32/hour (salary, but I only work 40 hours a week and get paid for overtime(lol)) after 2.5 years of experience. Maybe I just got lucky.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Bugamol posted:

I make $32/hour (salary, but I only work 40 hours a week and get paid for overtime(lol)) after 2.5 years of experience. Maybe I just got lucky.
I know you said analyst, but does that mean you're a CPA or not? Salary+OT sounds good, I know a few smaller CPA firms in PDX do that, more or less, but I also know it's not hugely common. (Why pay a fair rate when you can pay less for more?!)

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

I know you said analyst, but does that mean you're a CPA or not? Salary+OT sounds good, I know a few smaller CPA firms in PDX do that, more or less, but I also know it's not hugely common. (Why pay a fair rate when you can pay less for more?!)

I did not get my CPA. I've posted here a few times, but the general story is that because I work for a smaller company that is going through rapid growth I've had the opportunity to gain an array of skills including full cycle month end close, cost accounting, report writing (SQL, SSRS, and Excel), budgeting, payroll, sales/use/cat tax compliance, etc., etc..

I was actually recruited to work at a very large and very well known company in my area via linkedin. My official title will be "Financial Analyst 2" I am currently a "Staff Accountant", but was on track to be promoted to "Senior Staff Accountant" this year.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Hey so I shouldn't call up an accounting firm that gave me a full time offer at the end of my internship and try and negotiate the salary number should I? I take it they are relatively inflexible at Big public accounting firms on the offer number?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Hey so I shouldn't call up an accounting firm that gave me a full time offer at the end of my internship and try and negotiate the salary number should I? I take it they are relatively inflexible at Big public accounting firms on the offer number?

Are you going to Big 4 or one of the 5-10th largest? I don't have a ton of experience with this issue for Big 4, but the non big 4 national public firms might give you an extra $500-$1,000 if you negotiate.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Bloody Queef posted:

Are you going to Big 4 or one of the 5-10th largest? I don't have a ton of experience with this issue for Big 4, but the non big 4 national public firms might give you an extra $500-$1,000 if you negotiate.

Big 4. It seems like from the wording of the offer letter that the salary is not flexible, but thanks for your answer.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Everything I've read said there's pretty much no chance. Just check to make sure you're in the range of everyone else.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Harry posted:

Everything I've read said there's pretty much no chance. Just check to make sure you're in the range of everyone else.

Check going concern's archives from back in the fall when all the regular candidates get their offers and make sure you're around there.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Can anyone in the know break down the CIMA syllabus changes for 2015?

Three of Clubs
Dec 7, 2004
really truly?
A friend of mine who received an offer from a big4 firm called them up and said that he had received a significantly better offer from another firm (a bank), he wanted to work for the big4 firm, could they arrange something etc etc. The big4 firm threw in a 5k signing bonus, but would not budge on salary.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Three of Clubs posted:

A friend of mine who received an offer from a big4 firm called them up and said that he had received a significantly better offer from another firm (a bank), he wanted to work for the big4 firm, could they arrange something etc etc. The big4 firm threw in a 5k signing bonus, but would not budge on salary.

Good point. If you're not getting a $3,500+ signing bonus going into B4, you're getting boned

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug

Bloody Queef posted:

Good point. If you're not getting a $3,500+ signing bonus going into B4, you're getting boned

That depends on location, really. The comparable firms (other Big 4 and next 3 - typically McGladery, BDO, and Grant Thornton) will have nearly identical packages - salary, signing bonus, and CPA pass bonus. I'm starting this fall and received a bump for parity to these firms.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My college program is a Big 4 farm and they made sure that all of the starting salary/bonuses/etc are essentially the same depending on location. I got a $1k bump up to match the market a few months ago so I'll be starting in the low/mid 50s without the signing bonus and CPA bonus. There was no hint of negotiation when I had my internship exit interview though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

My college program is a Big 4 farm and they made sure that all of the starting salary/bonuses/etc are essentially the same depending on location. I got a $1k bump up to match the market a few months ago so I'll be starting in the low/mid 50s without the signing bonus and CPA bonus. There was no hint of negotiation when I had my internship exit interview though.

Having received my offer in the last year and talking with 20+ people who also go their offers in the last year, everybody who signs on in a specific city gets the same starting salary as everyone else who's going to that city with maybe some minor differences in the signing bonus (but not even that really). SF, Chicago, NY, and a couple of the other major business cities are starting around 57 this year. The smaller cities are starting out in the upper 40s or maybe low 50s depending on cost of living in that area. There isn't even that much difference when you get outside of the big 4 as long as you're with a somewhat notable firm.