Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ugh, just wanted to post about this after hearing it on the radio.

"Of course, this is my responsibility and all but guys, it's harrrrrrrrrrd" :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

CrazyTolradi posted:

Wasn't this the same shitlord who complained that Malaysia might be unsafe for these people and that they might not get humane treatment there?

As opposed to Manus?

God I hope the UN gets all up on our government about this.

They'll just write another angry letter.

There was an article in The Age a week or so ago by a guy who is spending a lot of time raising awareness in foreign media about the asylum seeker situation. That might help more than the UN if people start little boycotts or something.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jesus gently caress the smugness in that photo.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The gently caress is a "human right to property"? Maybe I should steal that wording when I'm arguing about basic income.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
In democracy news, Poll Bludger is reporting on a Dennis Shanahan article, about LNP/ALP submissions to the Joint Standing Committee on Electoral Reform.

Poll Bludger posted:

Interestingly, it appears that both will advocate excluding parties from having their preferences distributed unless they clear a threshold of 1.4% of the primary vote.

I can't imagine the High Court having other than a dim view of this, but it's clear that the defence of the onetwo party system is coming.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

You Am I posted:

Jesus gently caress the smugness in that photo.

Drinking coffee from Maccas should never make anyone feel smug either. Nauseous, maybe. Sick, yes. But never smug.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I hope Clive Palmer continues throwing his weight around like this. He's not entirely terrible and his antics are really amusing.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Yall would be smug too if you got paid $400k to tweet terrible opinions all day

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

There's a sadness in those eyes. A deep unacknowledged yearning to lie down and die. Embrace the darkness Tim. Embrace it.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Shadeoses posted:

I hope Clive Palmer continues throwing his weight around like this. He's not entirely terrible and his antics are really amusing.

The fact that you can even write this particular sentence is a horrible statement about how bad the major parties are.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

On Palmer and blocking the budget:
https://theconversation.com/explainer-could-clive-palmer-spark-a-constitutional-crisis-25916

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Sorry pal, property is not a human right insofar as quarantining anything by force is a human right.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
So uh, Chinese spies had complete access to all of our Parliamentary computer networks. For a year :laugh:

quote:

Chinese spies could have been inside computer network for up to year: reports

Chinese spies may have been inside Australian parliamentary computer network for up to a year and seen documents and emails that reveal the political, professional and social links across the political world, according to a report.

The Australian Financial Review reports that sources with knowlege of the breach, in which Chinese intelligence agencies that penetrated Australia’s parliamentary computer network in 2011, say they agencies obtained remote system administrator access, which "effectively gave them control of it".

In March 2011, The Australian newspaper and other media outlets reported that China was suspected of accessing, for more than a month, the email system used by federal MPs, their advisers, electorate staff and parliamentary employees. The perpetrators accessed several thousand emails, reports said.

Senior sources said the breach was much more serious. Australian intelligence reached the "absolutely clear conclusion" that Chinese intelligence was responsible and informed their political masters the identities of the intruders.

The intelligence services briefed the parliamentary committee that oversees security matters while it was in progress, sources said, and the network was shut down several times while analysts from the Australian Signals

Directorate patched it. "It was like an open-cut mine," said one participant. "They had access to everything."

China got access to all emails, contact databases and other documents stored on Parliament's computers.

A spokesman for the Chinese embassy in Canberra declined to comment.

Administration of parliament's computer systems is the responsibility of the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Bronwyn Bishop, and president of the Senate John Hogg, whose spokespeople declined to comment. The attorney-general at the time, Robert McClelland, and Foreign Minister Julie Bishop, also declined to comment.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0428-zr0kz.html

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

webmeister posted:

So uh, Chinese spies had complete access to all of our Parliamentary computer networks. For a year :laugh:

Who needs IT graduates to oversee computer security in this country? We'll just get a bunch of asians in on 457s!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

norp posted:

The fact that you can even write this particular sentence is a horrible statement about how bad the major parties are.

To be fair, this is QLD, and the list of people I would prefer to be in the top job instead of Campbell is literally anybody else.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Mithranderp posted:

Unless a country actually wants to take us to court for violating our treaty obligations (and even then, that is not really effective; just look at the Japanese response to the ruling on their whaling program), the only thing the UNHRC can really do is tell the Government to stop. Only the Security Council can impose sanctions and they're too busy circlejerking over how naughty Russia is being. Individual countries could impose sanctions as well, but I doubt anyone would actually do so.

Arnt we the head of the UN Security council this time around?

e: no, that was Sept last year where Julie Bishop was for a month. Our next go is Nov this year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_the_United_Nations_Security_Council#2010.E2.80.9314

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 28, 2014

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-28/abbott-says-everyone-must-help-to-bring-budget-back-to-surplus/5414858

ABC News posted:

A day after failing to rule out a new tax to pay off the nation's debt, the Prime Minister will tonight describe next month's budget as not for the "rich or the poor", but "for the country".

After what is expected to be a lengthy Cabinet meeting today focusing on budget measures, Tony Abbott will tonight deliver a speech to the Sydney Institute, warning Australians that bringing the budget back into black will take a collective effort.

"I know that the tendency on budget night is to focus on 'what's happening to me' but we need to focus on 'what's happening to us' because everyone needs to be involved in fixing Labor's debt mess if all of us are to prosper in the years ahead," he says in excerpts of the speech released by the Prime Minister's Office.

"This will not be a budget for the rich or the poor; it will be a budget for the country.

"This will be a nation-building budget, even though it cuts spending, because you can't build a nation spending money you don't have and that's more than you need to borrow."

Yesterday, when asked about reports the Government was considering a temporary levy to pay off the deficit, Mr Abbott said the Government would "tackle the fiscal disaster that we have inherited".

"It's important that the mess be tackled," he added.

"Now, we are going to do it in ways which are faithful to the commitments that we made to the Australian people, but we are not going to squib the challenge."

The reports said any new debt tax would target high-income earners and Mr Abbott said any measure the Government took would be "fair".

The Federal Opposition has seized on the reports and accused the Coalition of breaking an election promise.

Opposition treasury spokesman Chris Bowen says such levies should be for "genuine unexpected emergencies" and fixing the deficit "falls a long way short".

"[Treasurer] Joe Hockey has deliberately inflated the budget deficit and is now asking the Australian people to pay for it in a clear breach - a clear breach - of an election promise that there'd be no new taxes," he told Radio National.

Mr Bowen said Labor supported returning the budget to surplus but only "gradually and over time without swingeing cuts that would affect confidence".

One of the country's leading business organisations, the Australian Industry Group, has cautioned the Government to be "very wary" of bringing in a tax to pay off debt.

"Raising taxes would dampen private sector demand at a time when the economy is growing at below trend and the labour market is flat at best," AIG chief executive Innes Willox said.

"You can't tax your way to prosperity."

Mr Abbott's speech tonight - due at 9:00pm (AEST) - further signals that the budget will include measures that hit taxpayers in the hip pocket.

"We owe it to our country; we owe it to everyone who elected a government to clean up Labor's mess; to take the right decisions rather than the popular ones," he will say.

"I don't expect politicians to be more popular the day after the budget but I hope that we might have earned a little more respect."

Kill me now.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Les Affaires posted:

Sorry pal, property is not a human right insofar as quarantining anything by force is a human right.

b b but john locke, the enlightenment, western civilization~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Gough Suppressant posted:

b b but john locke, the enlightenment, western civilization~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.progress.org/davidso4.htm posted:

In 1690 John Locke, one of the most important founders of liberalism, deduced this idea as a logical consequence of his liberal principles. According to Locke, every individual has the right to maximum freedom to shape his own life. In exercising this right the individual may claim a part of nature, as long as he - and this is of key importance - leaves enough, as good for others.

:eng101: Liberfuckwits can't even understand their own theorists.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Endman posted:

Locke shock and two joking O'Farrells

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Endman posted:

John Stuart Mill posted:

Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Yeah I know a bunch of swing voters who voted Liberal last election who are basically self flagellating right now.

Doesn't make me feel that much better though. The damage to education alone will be permanent.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I misread it as 'right to human property'.

Also apt, though.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, I would like to thank Woolworth's for putting swastikas on their new homebrand rice. Good for a laugh.

That's what you get for being scum who would shop at Woolworths.

webmeister posted:

What about their human rights?

Those poor people who had to read all that drivel. We should offer them asylum.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/jenny-macklin/5414654

The stirrings of a comeback?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do you think those chinese spies had to read the 130 pages of correspondence on the Tony Abbot kitten blocker plug in?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Mithranderp posted:

Yes because it is SO HARD to make sure the people who are supposed to be ensuring the safety of these people aren't going to viciously attack them.

Article is quite long but well worth the read, though may trigger apoplectic rage. Apparently "The Manus Solution" (I know it's been said before, but seriously can we stop referring to programs whereby we lock people in concentration camp as "solutions"?) is on ABC1 at 8.30 tonight.

It just highlights to me how much this country is hosed: they're basically handing us easy :godwin:s by the bucketload and no one loving cares.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I just think its unfair that the US gets to hog all the hacking. Equal time for Chinese snooping, I say.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Hey guys and girls

Sorry to poo poo up the thread with *~my problems~* (and also considering my extremely skewed lurking:contribution ratio to this thread), but Hillsong own the local ice rink I play at and they are submitting a development application to bulldoze the place and replace it with 20 storey (or thereabouts) apartments. Obviously this is pretty distressing for the club and all the other people who use the rink for figure skating, speed skating, general sessions and all that. I know there are a couple people involved in town planning here in this thread and I am trying to build a coherent counter-proposal to submit to the council, despite my cynical misgivings about how much of a waste of time it will be trying to get the council to care more about the rink than whatever Hillsong wants to do in the name of profits the good Lord.

The development proposal is here: http://www.thehills.nsw.gov.au/IgnitionSuite/uploads/docs/K%20-%20Planning%20Proposal%20to%20Dept.pdf

I’ve got some good starting points for forming a counter-proposal but would extremely grateful if anyone can help me write up something that isn’t just frothing vitriol or, more importantly, if there are any obvious technical holes in their proposal I might be able to pick at. I’ve got PMs if you’d like to contact me. Unfortunately, the club only emailed us about this a few days ago and the deadline for submissions is this Friday so I know I’m asking a lot to just get some of your free time to help fight against something you probably couldn’t care less about but just thought I’d ask. Even if it’s just things like “here’s a template for how you should frame your counter-proposal so that the councils will actually sit up and take notice instead of just writing “gently caress HILLSONG” on the back of a beer coaster” would be awesome.

I’m already angling at things like:

- Removal of the rink removes the need for anyone other than the local residents to go there (economic & social impact)
- Part or all of the 300-400 jobs they claim they would be created (yet seem to provide no justification/explanation as to how they calculated that) by expanding the nearby Marketown shops, plus whatever new jobs will be provided at the new rail station opening there
- They talk about the rink being an underdevelopment of the site, yet directly next door they have a colossal carpark for the Hillsong Church that is mostly deserted except for Sundays (and the traffic congestion around there when I have practice on Sunday mornings is nuts). The footprint of the new building could easily fit in the north section of that carpark. They will also have a reduced need for the carpark now that the train station is going to be opening (hahaha yeah right as if any of the church goers in Porsche Cayenne Turbos would use public transport).
- They refer to the Hills Development Control Plan and objectives ii, iii and iv on the very first page can all be used in favour of keeping the rink (this, along with my first point about removal of the rink removing any need for people to visit, will be the strongest angle imo)

I don’t even remember the reason why Hillsong built the rink in the first place (someone has told me that building/operating for x years was part of the conditions for them to own such a massive amount of land up there and they’ve been wanting to demolish it as soon as legally able but I have no proof of that).

Cheers

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

webmeister posted:

Well they may have accessed parliament's emails but by god at least they weren't able to breach the opsec around Operation Sovereign Border's on-water matters.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Sir Captain Tim posted:

..McDonald's exercising their human right..

Sir Captain Tim posted:

..McDonald's exercising their human right..

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Corporations are people, my friend.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Corporations are people my friend.

Edit: gently caress

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Charge Tony Abbott with murder for killing the manufacturing industry.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Gough Suppressant posted:

Charge Tony Abbott with murder for killing the manufacturing industry.

But he's clearly putting the boondoggle aviation industry on life support, so maybe the answer is somewhere in the middle?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

You know what shits me the most; the amount of doublespeak that politicians practice. I imagine that it has been a part of political rhetoric forever, but it has become the dominant way to frame every issue that is not unilaterally supported. I suspect a combination of media management of politicians and the reduced barriers for publishing news have contributed to its use. When news editors are directed to write as much as possible for as cheap as possible for Internet ads; a well edited PR release starts to seem more like an inducement, then a disclosure of information.

I think the deliberate use of doublespeak is something which should be stamped out. I would like to see it legislated that when a politician uses double speak in a formal or scheduled interview, speech, press conference/release or any other form of political promotion intended for public consumption, that they need to provide an explanation of the doublespeak and a reformulation of the remark to convey the same information without resorting to doublespeak.

Basically something akin to a retraction or disclosure of interests. I guess what I'm essentially saying is that we should make doublespeak a form of perjury or false statement. Something that needs to be addressed when it is identified in order to avoid prosecution.

quote:

This will be a nation-building budget, even though it cuts spending, because you can't build a nation spending money you don't have and that's more than you need to borrow.

quote:

Now, we are going to do it in ways which are faithful to the commitments that we made to the Australian people...

quote:

You can't tax your way to prosperity.

quote:

McDonald's exercising their right to property.

quote:

It is absolutely my aspiration, it is my commitment to ensure that these places are safe, but it is difficult I think to do that in every instance...

There's a reason why 'aspirational goal' was a term awarded with a doublespeak award in '08; I have a goal with no realistic/genuine means to achieve. There is a case that all of these phrases are logical contradictions and distortions of language with the intent to misinform the public to conclude the opposite meaning to the doublespeak remark.

I don't think I've read an article/speech where a politician has not used doublespeak in an attempt to mislead the public over their positions, statements, and policies. This poo poo was from the last day; this stuff has to stop, its getting out of hand.

Edit:
gently caress large corporations like Apple who use doublespeak as the de facto way of communicating any message that isn't positive. They demonstrated that a large part percentage of people are susceptible to being misled with doublespeak. Now people with an actual responsibility to society see its widespread use as being socially acceptable; not as a means to get their way without having to genuinely inform and convince people that they are being responsible.

Seriously, the poo poo that goes on with things like the NBN and asylum processing would not be an acceptable way to conduct a business. The only reason why they get away with loving, whole hog with finances and changing business plans in a very opaque manner is due to political immunity. Who would support a company director who throws money into a black hole, doesn't explain why they are doing it, how it achieves business objectives or why they changed the products and services the business is offering (and any expenses encountered/lost opportunities, or any impacts from the change).

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 28, 2014

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Legalise euthanasia.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I wonder how far we are from :godwin:, but for IngSoc rather than Nazism, being a thing.

:orwell: :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Captain Pissweak posted:

Legalise euthanasia.

No, no, no.
Legalise euthanasia for politicians. We don't want typically healthy people making an impulsive decision to euthanise, due to a temporary/short-term bout of depression or other hardships.

• Locked thread