Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Internet Kraken posted:

As for the lore, I wouldn't judge the game until you've played an explored more. Remember that the lore in these games is told through pretty subtle means, a lot coming from item descriptions. You won't learn what a lot of the bosses and areas are for until you examine their souls and the weapons they make.

If you want lore this is the most important thing. Almost all of the lore in this game and Dks1 comes from item descriptions. All of those lore videos on the youtube are primarily based on item descriptions since neither dks1 or 2 explicitly state much of the back story in dialogue, only the major plot points, which really don't start until about 2/3 of the way into dks2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Elysiume posted:

What's the best chime for miracles?

Lightning Dragon's Chime +5.

Nahxela posted:

I'd argue that Caitha's is better because of its better cast speed. In fact, I think Caitha's and Chime of Want have the same dark damage at Dark +10.

iirc at 40/40 faith/int Chime of Want has a little more dark damage, but if you're just sticking with 30/30 then yeah Caitha's is better. Also their S tiers are different IIRC, but I'll need to recheck that.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

So bosses I've killed:

Last Giant
Pursuer
Sentinel

And I still can't find friggin' magic. Is all the cool spells late game? I'm running a wizard and I feel like I'm majorly gimped.

Oops forgot that I've also been to Heide so I'll add onto that

Dragonrider

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

...when did I get a pig's head shield?

Turtlicious posted:

Oops forgot that I've also been to Heide so I'll add onto that

Dragonrider

Yeah, keep going. No Man's Wharf is what you're aiming for.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

RBA Starblade posted:

It's in the chest right after Smelter Demon.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, keep going. No Man's Wharf is what you're aiming for.

You normally get it in Iron Keep from a chest just after the Smelter Demon.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Artificer posted:

What sort of weapons are best for a poison or bleed infusion?

A) Something that attacks fast
B) Somethign that already does poison/bleed (EVERYTHING can be infused)
C) Power-Stance Dual Caestus

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Captain Oblivious posted:

Outside of the arguable trend of repetitive bosses, it isn't just the lack of cohesion in the world dude, it's the fact that I'm really not given a reason to care. Dark Souls 1 has a very strong mythos established right out the gate. I have no idea why I care about Drangleic by contrast. Dark Souls is always minimalist, but I think they could have done more to establish Drangleic as something I should give a poo poo about.

I feel like DS2 harkens back to Demons' Souls more than Dark Souls, at least in this respect. Same pattern of levels that don't really connect well but are still (mostly) nice in their own right. Same mysterious woman urging you on and helping you level up. Same nebulous king you're trying to reach for unknown reasons. You knew just as much about Boletaria or your motivations for being there as you do about Drangleic.

Additionally, on the whole aspect of you not knowing why you should care, that actually seems to be a theme the game is intentionally trying to run with. Every NPC you run across came to Drangleic, but can't seem to remember what drew them there or what their original purpose was. Hell, the opening cinematic itself tells you that your own character doesn't know. All the undead are just drawn to it.

And hey, don't get me wrong: just because it was an intended feeling doesn't exactly mean it's a good one. I'm just saying that I'm willing to give the game a pass on this point until I finish it. If when it's over none of the questions have been answered and I still don't know what the whole point was, I'll be deeply disappointed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ruins Sentinels, Old Dragonslayer, Dragonrider, Smelter Demon, Pursuer (two times). The bosses fought that haven't been listed include: Covetous Demon, Mytha, Executioner's Chariot, Skeleton Lords, and the Last Giant. It's a pretty strong trend bro! Oh an Flexile Sentries. They strictly speaking aren't armored dudes, but in terms of how they fight they still feel very same-y.

Outside of the arguable trend of repetitive bosses, it isn't just the lack of cohesion in the world dude, it's the fact that I'm really not given a reason to care. Dark Souls 1 has a very strong mythos established right out the gate. I have no idea why I care about Drangleic by contrast. Dark Souls is always minimalist, but I think they could have done more to establish Drangleic as something I should give a poo poo about.

I don't even know how to respond that to that. Half the bosses you listed aren't giant armoured melee dudes so you have defeated your own point. Again, if you're going to generalize THAT MUCH then almost all of the bosses in Dark Souls were giant melee dudes.

Sydin posted:

Additionally, on the whole aspect of you not knowing why you should care, that actually seems to be a theme the game is intentionally trying to run with. Every NPC you run across came to Drangleic, but can't seem to remember what drew them there or what their original purpose was. Hell, the opening cinematic itself tells you that your own character doesn't know. All the undead are just drawn to it.

And hey, don't get me wrong: just because it was an intended feeling doesn't exactly mean it's a good one. I'm just saying that I'm willing to give the game a pass on this point until I finish it. If when it's over none of the questions have been answered and I still don't know what the whole point was, I'll be deeply disappointed.

Also this. The intro to the game doesn't focus on Drangleic because it isn't the focus of the game. The focus is on you, and finding your own reason and purpose in the game. There's a reason NPCs always talk about how they had a purpose for coming here but can't seem to recall it.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

What's the take on what elements to stick onto your weapons? I just collected my 2nd primal soul and feel like I'm doing sort of measly damage a lot of the time. I'm playing as a high dex character and mostly using the Falchion and Ricard's Rapier. Is poison useful enough for PvE to infuse on one of them? I ask because I've dumped a good bit of points into adaptability and dex and now my poison bonus is pretty high. Clearing the Iron Keep was a pain, particular those armored turtle dudes. Just stood there plinking small damage against them for way to long.

Also, the small soapstone might be the best new implementation in this game. It's so convenient to restore your humanity this way. It's a portable bonfire.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 28, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't even know how to respond that to that. Half the bosses you listed aren't giant armoured melee dudes so you have defeated your own point. Again, if you're going to generalize THAT MUCH then almost all of the bosses in Dark Souls were giant melee dudes.

I...what? They're giant, they wear heavy armor, they're melee. What is unclear about this? Another contributing factor is that a lot of them, even the ones that are dissimilar visually, fight in similar ways. Old Dragonslayer and Dragonrider are probably the most guilty of this, being back to back iterations on the same fighting style, but it also contributes to the problem with bosses like Mytha. She's really cool visually but her fighting style basically just makes her feel like a redux of the aforementioned two.

Are you confused because I, in a second list, added the ones who don't qualify? That was the point. Contrast. Showing off the ratio (which appears to be approximately 50%).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I don't understand how you could consider Mytha, Executioner's Chariot or the Skeleton Lords big melee dudes when they all mostly use magic. Covetous Demon is kind of debatable since he does use his body as a weapon I guess.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Yeah the plot doesn't really ask you to care about Drangleic at all. In fact a lot of NPC dialogue and various other sources imply that you were simply drawn there by the Dark. You are simply one of many undead exploring the remnants of the kingdom (although you are probably the most successful in your world).

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

I...what? They're giant, they wear heavy armor, they're melee. What is unclear about this? Another contributing factor is that a lot of them, even the ones that are dissimilar visually, fight in similar ways. Old Dragonslayer and Dragonrider are probably the most guilty of this, being back to back iterations on the same fighting style, but it also contributes to the problem with bosses like Mytha. She's really cool visually but her fighting style basically just makes her feel like a redux of the aforementioned two.

Are you confused because I, in a second list, added the ones who don't qualify? That was the point. Contrast. Showing off the ratio (which appears to be approximately 50%).

They don't fight the same at all, but I feel like the strategies for most bosses has been the same so far (I've only fought 6 so yeah.)

Circle to the right because all of them are right handed. Works against everything except a few of the sentinels attacks that you have to dodge back/left for. Every boss fights felt really samey even if they actually aren't, because that's the way I've fought them all.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
loving chariot loving chariot. Beat it just fine as a phantom, but I cannot for the life of me get him down for myself.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cnidaria posted:

Yeah the plot doesn't really ask you to care about Drangleic at all. In fact a lot of NPC dialogue and various other sources imply that you were simply drawn there by the Dark. You are simply one of many undead exploring the remnants of the kingdom (although you are probably the most successful in your world).

And sure, I can see what you and Sydin are saying in that that could be intentional. I just don't think it's effective. :v:

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

I honestly have no idea why the great souls are needed again :v:, what was my objective and why are the big bads holding the souls important again?

World design is less interesting too, in Darksouls the messed up state of things usually had ties to one of the big four fellas going on. And seeing the entrance of iron keep was kind of off putting. Like you've just sprawled through this windmill factory of hateful poison then theres theis fortress of flaming lava 20 seconds away from the previous boss.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kimmalah posted:

You normally get it in Iron Keep from a chest just after the Smelter Demon.

Huh, I didn't notice. I am noticing the Pursuer kicking my poo poo in solo though.

e: Oh, good, the power went out and now the save file thinks I don't have the preorder dlc so it's just going to throw poo poo out of my inventory. At least all the pre-order stuff was garbage I never used.

e: It didn't actually do anything. Weird.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 28, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Huh, I didn't notice. I am noticing the Pursuer kicking my poo poo in solo though.

Yeeeah don't go back into that area unprepared.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

That's the thing; a 50% ratio is WAY better than what Dark Souls had to offer. So many of the bosses in Dark souls were melee focused and could be beaten with similar tactics, so I have no idea why you have a problem with this in Dark Souls 2. Yes some bosses fight in similar ways, but so did ones in Dark Souls. gently caress, in Dark Souls they literally reskinned the same fat demon 3 times. Yet the bosses in that game are better somehow?

Plus this games gimmick fights are way better than the ones in Dark Souls. I'd fight the :byodood:DOOM CHARIOT:byodood: a hundred times before going anywhere near Bed of Chaos again.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Drakes posted:

And seeing the entrance of iron keep was kind of off putting. Like you've just sprawled through this windmill factory of hateful poison then theres theis fortress of flaming lava 20 seconds away from the previous boss.

Yeah, it particularly disappointed me because DS1 had the same Poison -> Lava transition, but it was handled much more smoothly and made sense within the context of the world. Like, I can kind of see their thought process (Harvest valley is the surrounding fief, Earthen Peak is a factory town, then the lord's castle) but it just isn't handled well at all. I expected to go down into the hole and find lava in DS1. I did not expect to leave the factory and find lava in DS2.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kimmalah posted:

Yeeeah don't go back into that area unprepared.

What the hell is up with the range on its curse attack? It's three times the size of the drat sword.

e: And using a estus guarantees he hits me from anywhere in a dash. That's new.

e: And his wide swing ignores my 100% resistance shield? What?

e: This is unwinnable. There is no action I can take where I don't lose 90% of my health in one attack, or 100% if I try to heal, block, or roll. Parry is a 50/50 to parry him but he's immune to ripostes.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 28, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, I have the four souls.....where do I go now? Lady in majula tells me to go seek the castle..where is it?

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Yeah even if bosses are superficially similar in Dks2, they generally have different attacks which require different strategies to defeat. In Dks1 basically every none DLC boss could beat by putting up your shield until they finished attacking, or just moving slightly out of the way.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

So is there any consensus on what the best weapons are for a strength character? I've been using a Great Club and I've upgraded it a couple times but I'd like to know what else there is to look out for.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sydin posted:

Yeah, it particularly disappointed me because DS1 had the same Poison -> Lava transition, but it was handled much more smoothly and made sense within the context of the world. Like, I can kind of see their thought process (Harvest valley is the surrounding fief, Earthen Peak is a factory town, then the lord's castle) but it just isn't handled well at all. I expected to go down into the hole and find lava in DS1. I did not expect to leave the factory and find lava in DS2.

I must be From's target audience because I really didn't give two shits about the geography and just went on exploring/killing dudes. :unsmith:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

So is there any consensus on what the best weapons are for a strength character? I've been using a Great Club and I've upgraded it a couple times but I'd like to know what else there is to look out for.

The regular mace will pretty much wreck poo poo the whole game.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Bobnumerotres posted:

The regular mace will pretty much wreck poo poo the whole game.

Any equivalent to the Black Knight or ManSerpent Greatword this time around? Those were my babies.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I found the Blood covenant, which I assume is this games dickwraith equivalent but uhhhh....what the gently caress do I do? Still not seeing a way to get more cracked eye orbs.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Turtlicious posted:

So bosses I've killed:

Last Giant
Pursuer
Sentinel

And I still can't find friggin' magic. Is all the cool spells late game? I'm running a wizard and I feel like I'm majorly gimped.
You can find some now but the NPC is in an area you haven't been to yet.
If you head to heide's tower of flame and take the right path from the three sentinals, it will take you to a boss. Beat the boss and head through the next area, near the end of the new area is a pair of docks that goes straight and to the right. Take the right path and you will find a man who will sell you spells as long as you have at least 8 INT.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

Great Club is all you need. :colbert:

Other good poo poo: Mace, Dual Mace, Mastodon Halberd, Mastodon Greatsword, Chariot Lance, Red Rust Straight Sword, Greatsword, Stone Twinblade, Red Iron Twinblade, Drakekeeper Greataxe, Smelter Sword, Giant Stone Axe

Kimmalah posted:

I must be From's target audience because I really didn't give two shits about the geography and just went on exploring/killing dudes. :unsmith:

emptyquote

Internet Kraken posted:

So I found the Blood covenant, which I assume is this games dickwraith equivalent but uhhhh....what the gently caress do I do? Still not seeing a way to get more cracked eye orbs.

Pray at the statues and you'll be summoned to duel other bloodbros. Win and get a cracked orb.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Great Club is all you need. :colbert:

Other good poo poo: Mace, Dual Mace, Mastodon Halberd, Mastodon Greatsword, Chariot Lance, Red Rust Straight Sword, Greatsword, Stone Twinblade, Red Iron Twinblade, Drakekeeper Greataxe, Smelter Sword, Giant Stone Axe

awesome, thanks!

The Joe Man posted:

Any equivalent to the Black Knight or ManSerpent Greatword this time around? Those were my babies.

Yeah I got the Black Knight Sword really early on in Dark Souls and it carried me through the whole game, would love to come across one of those again

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You know, I can't help but feel online in these games might be better if backstabs just didn't exist against other players. Nothing more annoying than dodging an attack only to be pulled back mid animation.

Genocyber posted:

Pray at the statues and you'll be summoned to duel other bloodbros. Win and get a cracked orb.

I see. Sounds frustrating, given I've been sitting here for 20 minutes and have only gotten one match.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alright, what's the reward for beating the pursuer in the iron keep? I can't figure out how to get around his aerial attack that moves him to where you are instantly and one-shots me, or his curse attack that pulls you into it and is wider than he is.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

awesome, thanks!

Yeah I got the Black Knight Sword really early on in Dark Souls and it carried me through the whole game, would love to come across one of those again

BKS is pretty good; the best greatsword moveset imo, really long reach and pretty decent damage. Requires 28 str 20 dex 12 int/fth tho. It's in the Iron Keep behind an illusory wall after you beat Belfry Sol.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Genocyber posted:

emptyquote

You haven't done nearly enough of your usual "Uh...git gud" posts yet.

Internet Kraken posted:

Once you join, you offer a token of spite to the statues to duel someone. If you win, you get a cracked eye orb. The statue you choose determines the arena.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005
After trying my hand at DS1 on ps3 and being somewhat underwhelmed by it, i think i'm actually starting to get this series now. Dying is it's own reward. Losing souls is fun. I can finally make it to the bosses in Heides Tower without getting my rear end smashed into the ground by the very first enemy i come across.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Sven posted:

After trying my hand at DS1 on ps3 and being somewhat underwhelmed by it, i think i'm actually starting to get this series now. Dying is it's own reward. Losing souls is fun. I can finally make it to the bosses in Heides Tower without getting my rear end smashed into the ground by the very first enemy i come across.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

You haven't done nearly enough of your usual "Uh...git gud" posts yet.

Once you join, you offer a token of spite to the statues to duel someone. If you win, you get a cracked eye orb. The statue you choose determines the arena.

You don't need a token of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

So how is scaling now? I was going for a quality build but right now it seems pretty underwhelming. Currently using a +8 Broadsword.