Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You're making it sound like engineering uses exams the way other courses use projects and papers. Would this be accurate? If that is the case it makes a lot more sense overall, and it's even kind of logical, since I suppose you can't build fifty bridges each semester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nessus posted:

You're making it sound like engineering uses exams the way other courses use projects and papers. Would this be accurate? If that is the case it makes a lot more sense overall, and it's even kind of logical, since I suppose you can't build fifty bridges each semester.

With the exception of lab/project courses, this is more or less accurate (for good profs, anyway).

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Nessus posted:

That sounds about right. Homework would be worth 10-20% of my grade (usually less than 20%) and projects or midterms would be everything else. Participation was basically never graded.

I never wrote a paper for a CS class and theory classes didn't have projects.

I had a class once where the TAs were supposed to be able to get 100% (barring silly mistakes like misteading the question or copying a constant down wrong) in 30 minutes on the midterms (we'd have an hour and a half to do them in).

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

If you're making the argument that exams/coursework have to be tough (30% score on a exam = an A grade etc.) so that we don't have lousy engineers designing lovely bridges, it still doesn't explain the masochism for CS kids.
Not to mention that your summer internships both for engineering and CS kids are 10x more important in developing your technical skills.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

shrike82 posted:

If you're making the argument that exams/coursework have to be tough (30% score on a exam = an A grade etc.) so that we don't have lousy engineers designing lovely bridges, it still doesn't explain the masochism for CS kids.
Not to mention that your summer internships both for engineering and CS kids are 10x more important in developing your technical skills.

CS is similar in that it's trying to develop a thought process for the best way to get to a solution, since most problems with CS have multiple possible answers.

You are correct about internships being more important for developing technical skills. Also, as far as CS is concerned schools don't do anywhere near enough group work, and working in teams is pretty much entirely what you'll be doing in the real world.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Main Paineframe posted:

Tech bubble. As long as they're showy and ambitious enough, they've got endless venture capital, so it doesn't matter how deep they dig themselves. At least, till the bubble pops and the sides of the holes they're digging collapse in on them. It'd be funny if not for the fact that the resulting economic turmoil and investor flight will probably endanger companies built on more solid principles too.

http://reuters.com/article/idUSBRE8AQ0JK20121127?irpc=932

Tech is worse because it changes faster. Knowledge picked up a decade ago is effectively useless now, and while it's easy enough to keep one's skills up to date, past a certain age it's typically assumed that you haven't. It's triply bad in Silicon Valley culture, where youth is worshipped to such a degree that people are going and getting plastic surgery to look younger.

Not necessarily. I mean, I guess if you were programming 10 years ago and then stopped and are not trying to get into the industry but 10 years of programming experience is pretty great, but if you are a retarded hiring manager or some kid running a startup, you don't really know or give a poo poo about any of that.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dystram posted:

Not necessarily. I mean, I guess if you were programming 10 years ago and then stopped and are not trying to get into the industry but 10 years of programming experience is pretty great, but if you are a retarded hiring manager or some kid running a startup, you don't really know or give a poo poo about any of that.

It really depends on what you are working on as well. Making apps that link to cat photo websites written in the current hot language is one thing, but C/C++, basic CPU principals, operating system kernels, communication protocols and the other things that the modern app-centric universe actually runs on top of hasn't changed that much over the years. Obviously they've evolved, but if you were familiar with them before, it's not much of a jump to get caught up.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

The_Franz posted:

It really depends on what you are working on as well. Making apps that link to cat photo websites written in the current hot language is one thing, but C/C++, basic CPU principals, operating system kernels, communication protocols and the other things that the modern app-centric universe actually runs on top of hasn't changed that much over the years. Obviously they've evolved, but if you were familiar with them before, it's not much of a jump to get caught up.

Right. That's pretty much what I meant.

If you have a strong foundational programming skillset, you can get up to speed easily these days. Hiring managers and kids running startups are pretty dumb about that though, so they figure if you're old then you are obsolete since you, like, learned computers when they were, like, old and stuff, right? Plus startups are more interested in having cooworkers that are peers who they can hang with rather than crusty old dudes/ladies, I guess; that's why they need like 10 people and millions of dollats to code lovely CRUD apps

Best programmer I've worked with has been doing this stuff for 30 years.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

As someone with an English and a science degree, this is true. But don't forget that pretty much anyone can get an English degree if they structure their schedule right. It's not just that the English program doesn't have the ability to offer assurance of specific skills, they don't have the ability to offer assurance of any skills - you can't tell an English major who is a brilliant linguistic analyst or written communicator from one who slid through writing high school level papers for the minimum C-minus just from the resumé.
:

I disagree with this quite a bit. You can tell a good English major because one will come out of University with the equivalent of a first and the other will come out with a lower grade.

You might argue that because English is so subjective that there is no consistent marking standard, well in the academic world that is what we have peer review for. I got a low 60 recently on an essay I wrote and felt genuinely grieved about the mark. I went in to see the marker and the man had the audacity to say that everything I said was correctly argued, but that it wasn't 'what he wanted to read'. I nearly flipped a lid and took it higher. Several of the faculty in my school read it and had the mark boosted significantly.
The point is is that you can tell a good argument from a bad one in the humanities, and that is where a lot of the marks are. Writing a mediocre argument will produce a mediocre grade.

I would not hire a mediocre engineer either.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Franz posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is that there's quite a lot more information sharing going on among mercenary freelance developers these days. We have a conference every year here in Louisville (:smug:) called Codeapalousa. Dumb name aside, it's a great way to keep abreast of modern coding developments. Some of it is buzzword poo poo, but the vast majority is surprisingly solid. I really do think it's an evolution of the open source movement; all you have to do is harness developers' vanity for good instead of evil.

Point is, keeping an ear to the ground will generally make up for the 10 year thing because you're constantly learning. If you just want to grab a single language and coast by, yes, you will be obsolete in 10 years. Maybe even two.

Joe: Do you think we ought to spin this out into its own thread? It's been a pretty interesting and substantial derail. (I know you aren't a mod anymore, but you're still the OP, and it's your thread!)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ocrassus posted:

I disagree with this quite a bit. You can tell a good English major because one will come out of University with the equivalent of a first and the other will come out with a lower grade.

You might argue that because English is so subjective that there is no consistent marking standard, well in the academic world that is what we have peer review for. I got a low 60 recently on an essay I wrote and felt genuinely grieved about the mark. I went in to see the marker and the man had the audacity to say that everything I said was correctly argued, but that it wasn't 'what he wanted to read'. I nearly flipped a lid and took it higher. Several of the faculty in my school read it and had the mark boosted significantly.
The point is is that you can tell a good argument from a bad one in the humanities, and that is where a lot of the marks are. Writing a mediocre argument will produce a mediocre grade.

I would not hire a mediocre engineer either.

I'm assuming from your use of "University" and "a first" that you're not American. America doesn't have a standardized degree classification system.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Chokes McGee posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is that there's quite a lot more information sharing going on among mercenary freelance developers these days. We have a conference every year here in Louisville (:smug:) called Codeapalousa. Dumb name aside, it's a great way to keep abreast of modern coding developments. Some of it is buzzword poo poo, but the vast majority is surprisingly solid. I really do think it's an evolution of the open source movement; all you have to do is harness developers' vanity for good instead of evil.

Point is, keeping an ear to the ground will generally make up for the 10 year thing because you're constantly learning. If you just want to grab a single language and coast by, yes, you will be obsolete in 10 years. Maybe even two.

Joe: Do you think we ought to spin this out into its own thread? It's been a pretty interesting and substantial derail. (I know you aren't a mod anymore, but you're still the OP, and it's your thread!)

It depends on the language - Java, JavaScript, Ruby, PHP, and lots of other languages have some fairly awesome staying power. Now, yeah, if you grab just one framework or library and expect to coast by, you will obsolete yourself if yours isn't the framework or library of majority.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
This startup is eerily 100% relevant to this thread... and 100% dumb.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/04/upstart_launches_apr_loans_a_new_way_for_twentysomethings_to_get_a_line.html

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

quote:

“I guess the fact that more benefits accrue to those who have proven themselves academically might seem unfair,” Girouard says, “but it's hard to deny that it's a merit-based system, which is actually pretty rare.”

Appropriate, given the recent conversation in the thread, and another excellent example of how the whole conversation on socioeconomic privilege goes completely over the head of some (many? most?) Valley types.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dystram posted:

It depends on the language - Java, JavaScript, Ruby, PHP, and lots of other languages have some fairly awesome staying power. Now, yeah, if you grab just one framework or library and expect to coast by, you will obsolete yourself if yours isn't the framework or library of majority.

I have my doubts about Ruby's staying power, and I have an irrational hate of Java.

Otherwise, agreedo. :v:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/27/5659230/latest-anti-tech-protest-targets-uber-by-blocking-cars-in-seattle

Uber's aggressive policies — and its outspoken CEO, Travis Kalanick — makes it an easy company to hate unless you're a fan of convenient, expensive taxi rides. And now the company's made itself a target of small groups of protesters who identify as The Counterforce.

In a new Wordpress blog dedicated to "the destruction of Uber," a writer identifying with the anarchist collective published details of an attack on Uber vehicles in Seattle this past weekend. The writer notes that ten vehicles were "detained" and "fliers were distributed to the drivers and passengers." The post continues: "Hundreds of people witnessed this act of defiance against one of the most disgusting tech companies in existence." The outrage against Uber centers around an accident last year in which a driver tragically killed a six-year-old girl in San Francisco....

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm assuming from your use of "University" and "a first" that you're not American. America doesn't have a standardized degree classification system.

Really? That's dumb as poo poo.

How do you select the brilliant individuals from the ones who merely passed a few exams with 'ok' scores?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ocrassus posted:

How do you select the brilliant individuals from the ones who merely passed a few exams with 'ok' scores?

Who am "I"?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

SedanChair posted:

Who am "I"?

I'm Batman.

Presumably, somewhat obviously, 'you' are a prospective employer.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stultus Maximus posted:

It depends what you mean by standardized because there is stuff like ABET to make sure things are properly accredited.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Ocrassus posted:

In practice? Connections. Only you're selecting less the 'brilliant' individuals than you are the 'good enough and I knew his dad' individuals.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Also, many schools have Latin honors that they confer upon a set percentage of the graduating class.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Ocrassus posted:

A conversation

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

But that's unfair to people who can't sustain a conversation :qq:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Valentin posted:

Appropriate, given the recent conversation in the thread, and another excellent example of how the whole conversation on socioeconomic privilege goes completely over the head of some (many? most?) Valley types.

I think that everything people are saying about stereotypical Silicon Valley techies can also be said about pretty much any young, high-wealth/income individual with a privileged background. I went to a school with one of the top undergraduate finance programs, and most of the students self-identified as liberal/Democrats (there was actually a poll at some point and I think it was something like 60-something percent Democrat), but they were also extremely naive/sheltered.

This one friend of mine started a company a couple years ago with more or less the following business model: Students from a select set of universities (pretty much the ivy leagues + NYU) are recruited and participate in trading competitions, and the top performing strategies are are made available to investors. He views this as giving an opportunity to people who need it, but how many young people do you know who are interested in trading/the stock market who aren't wealthy to begin with? I can't think of a single person among the people selected who really needed that help; not only were they all attending top colleges, but most were at a bare minimum upper middle class (which shouldn't be surprising; people generally aren't interested in investing money they don't have). But from his perspective, probably 95+% of the people he knows are wealthy (I can think of literally two people in our shared social circles who aren't well off, and one of those people is me) so that's his frame of reference. When everyone you have known growing up is also wealthy (or at least very secure financially), it can create the illusion of society being merit-based.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mukaikubo posted:

In practice? Connections. Only you're selecting less the 'brilliant' individuals than you are the 'good enough and I knew his dad' individuals.

Pretty much. I graduated with a business degree with all sorts of honors, but I didn't know anyone and I couldn't swing an internship because of obligations. I can't find dick-all for work, going on a year and a half outside of graduation.

UNLV has a second degree program in an area I'm actually interested in, luckily, so I'm going to network my loving rear end off this time around.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Ytlaya posted:

This one friend of mine started a company a couple years ago with more or less the following business model: Students from a select set of universities (pretty much the ivy leagues + NYU) are recruited and participate in trading competitions, and the top performing strategies are are made available to investors. He views this as giving an opportunity to people who need it, but how many young people do you know who are interested in trading/the stock market who aren't wealthy to begin with? I can't think of a single person among the people selected who really needed that help; not only were they all attending top colleges, but most were at a bare minimum upper middle class (which shouldn't be surprising; people generally aren't interested in investing money they don't have). But from his perspective, probably 95+% of the people he knows are wealthy (I can think of literally two people in our shared social circles who aren't well off, and one of those people is me) so that's his frame of reference. When everyone you have known growing up is also wealthy (or at least very secure financially), it can create the illusion of society being merit-based.

When normal people use the word "merit-based", they would not consider the poor people with no idea about investing to have any merit at all, because regardless of whatever social justice buzzwords used to qualify it, they still don't know dick about investing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

on the left posted:

When normal people use the word "merit-based", they would not consider the poor people with no idea about investing to have any merit at all, because regardless of whatever social justice buzzwords used to qualify it, they still don't know dick about investing.

Oh, it is true that the wealthy objectively have more "merit" simply by virtue of being given access to a superior education and healthy upbringing. By "merit" I'm referring more to stuff like "having a work ethic" (not that this isn't also influenced by your upbringing/health, but the wealthy certainly don't have more merit by that measure).

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

on the left posted:

Meritocracy was always meant primarily to benefit the middle class against inherited wealth.

That's not to say it doesn't benefit poor people sometime too, one of my friends who makes 100k at like 24-25 grew up in the poor parts Detroit and was the first member of his family to go to college

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Meritocracy is one of those things where it would be really nice to achieve it fully (by which I mean that every position in society is held by the persons who will perform best in them), but instituting it partway might be worse than none at all.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 29, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mornacale posted:

Meritocracy is one of those things where it would be really nice to achieve it fully (by which I mean that every position in society is held by the persons who will perform best in them), but instituting it partway might be worse than none at all.

Though the people who fit a position best tend to be educated and have lots of resources, i.e. they're not poor. So arguably, a meritocracy by definition discriminates against poor people.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

computer parts posted:

Though the people who fit a position best tend to be educated and have lots of resources, i.e. they're not poor. So arguably, a meritocracy by definition discriminates against poor people.

Ideally it would be based on innate merit or potential, but how would one even measure that, assuming it's possible?

E: this basically illustrates how important it is to have a good universal education system. And despite how much education is talked up in US political discourse, people seem reluctant to actually invest in such things. Especially the libertarian 'meritocracy' evangelist set--tuition for the University of California system has gone through the roof since the recession due to budget issues, I haven't heard anything from the techies or investors about that.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 29, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

rockopete posted:

Ideally it would be based on innate merit or potential, but how would one even measure that, assuming it's possible?

Hiring for a job you aren't looking for someone with hypothetical potential, you're looking for someone with deliverable potential. They're not orthogonal but it favors those with a head start.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Dusseldorf posted:

Hiring for a job you aren't looking for someone with hypothetical potential, you're looking for someone with deliverable potential. They're not orthogonal but it favors those with a head start.

Right, this is my point. Having a "meritocracy" only from the perspective of hiring doesn't really help, you have to also fix education and childhood poverty and so on.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

rockopete posted:

Even this wouldn't really be "ideal" from a more moral perspective; why should some individuals be privileged due to the talents they were born with?

While privileging the innately talented might be good from the perspective of making society run smoothly and efficiently assigning people to tasks, it certainly wouldn't be fair or moral. The ideal that should be aimed for is a high quality of life for everyone regardless of their ability or talent. While this probably isn't possible, it's still a better idealistic goal than a perfect meritocracy (which would just shuffle around the haves and have-nots).

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

rockopete posted:

E: this basically illustrates how important it is to have a good universal education system. And despite how much education is talked up in US political discourse, people seem reluctant to actually invest in such things. Especially the libertarian 'meritocracy' evangelist set--tuition for the University of California system has gone through the roof since the recession due to budget issues, I haven't heard anything from the techies or investors about that.

Yes, but any 'good universal education system' should ALSO be in conjunction with real political and economic reform to address the depressing inequity that exists.

Otherwise, you basically get what we already have now - testing-centered & bootstrappy neoliberal educational privatization in the guise of "education reform", as well as a ridiculously expensive, and an increasingly unaffordable higher education system.

mA fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 29, 2014

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Even this wouldn't really be "ideal" from a more moral perspective; why should some individuals be privileged due to the talents they were born with?

Meritocratic arguments tend to go hand-in-hand with the idea that people are all equal at birth.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Kalman posted:

Meritocratic arguments tend to go hand-in-hand with the idea that people are all equal at birth.

"I'm all for equality, equality of opportunity! No handouts though!"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mornacale posted:

computer parts posted:

Kalman posted:

Well, actually the alternatives all tend to be pretty terrible (read: nepotism/inherited wealth/aristocracy which favors the rich/elite even more) I think people's vision of meritocracy is just colored because it's brought up against affirmative action all the time.

Typo fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

rockopete posted:

Testing the actual skills needed to work at a task - things like working memory, pattern recognition, and other information-processing type capabilities. This is how the HI-LAB test works.

Of course there's no guarantee that even that is an even playing field. Being poor forces you to devote a huge fraction of your brainpower to poo poo like making sure you are going to make rent and don't rack up a bunch of overdraft fees, and that has a direct, measurable impact on cognitive performance.

And for a large amount of tasks you don't really need any skills at all anyway - McJobs are specifically designed to be performed by someone with no skills and little training, and those types of jobs are making up an increasing fraction of our economy. There's not really an absolute shortage of cashiering skills such that we need aptitude tests to find good candidates.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 30, 2014

• Locked thread