Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

Don't keep talking about TFR in here, they'll throw up the Gun Signal and flood the thread with their obscure injokes about Yugoslavian rifles.

That isn't a TFR thing, it's a Gun Owner on the Internet thing. /r/guns and /k/ et al. are precisely the same way. I am an owner of firearms, but the community of gun owners on the internet is definitely in the running with libertarians for most dedicated proselytizers, probably because they intersect about 80%. It is impossible to have discussions about firearms on the internet because frankly most of the other "gun owners" on forums are either deeply unpleasant people or are simply mentally ill.

Dystram posted:

Well, either way, the whole election was GREAT to build a narrative for them, even with Romney's gaffes - I had a few (seemingly) fairly moderate guys whip out the 47% comment to me on Friday night.

Oh sure, and it was great because those of us who are paying attention to politics got a glimpse of what American conservatism looks like today and we got to see that even conservatives themselves don't understand exactly how for into the deep end they've gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Mineaiki posted:

That isn't a TFR thing, it's a Gun Owner on the Internet thing. /r/guns and /k/ et al. are precisely the same way. I am an owner of firearms, but the community of gun owners on the internet is definitely in the running with libertarians for most dedicated proselytizers, probably because they intersect about 80%. It is impossible to have discussions about firearms on the internet because frankly most of the other "gun owners" on forums are either deeply unpleasant people or are simply mentally ill.

Oh sure, and it was great because those of us who are paying attention to politics got a glimpse of what American conservatism looks like today and we got to see that even conservatives themselves don't understand exactly how for into the deep end they've gone.

Right. I just meant it was a great talking-point generator for their side. I think they're going to go all-in on tax reform this time - flat tax, fair tax, consumption tax, etc. - since it plays well with the moronic boomers and elderly who vote for these assholes, and most people don't even know how a progressive income tax system works (Anecdotal, but, I even had to explain it to a few of my fairly educated liberal friends this weekend :/ ).

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
I wish democrats would stop loving talking about guns. I Seriously just don't give two shits about gun control as its the least of America's problems right now. The people in TFR are fairly leftist in comparison to the average American so please stop trying to start poo poo with them because you're just dividing that already partisan electorate over dumb wedge issues. The sooner democratic politicians throw the anti gun stuff under the bus the sooner you'll start getting more people focused on things that actually matter like wealth inequality.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Kraustofski posted:

I wish democrats would stop loving talking about guns. I Seriously just don't give two shits about gun control as its the least of America's problems right now. The people in TFR are fairly leftist in comparison to the average American so please stop trying to start poo poo with them because you're just dividing that already partisan electorate over dumb wedge issues. The sooner democratic politicians throw the anti gun stuff under the bus the sooner you'll start getting more people focused on things that actually matter like wealth inequality.

I don't think it matters either way at this point, if a Democrat jerks off on or with the Second Amendment no one really buys it and the gun molesters view it as a Manchurian candidate ploy to take all our guns. We live in a post-factual world.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Kraustofski posted:

They talk about it because it's an easy bone to throw to your base - pro or anti gun - in your district or city that doesn't result in any substantive change or force you to talk about anything complex or make people think. It's the ultimate wedge issue.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Kraustofski posted:

I used to agree with this, now I'm not sure it is going to matter. Obama didn't mention guns at all his first term, this was taken as evidence he was going to come for guns soon.

Even beyond that, American gun culture has a really ugly racial subtext to it post Mulford act. My last gun show was 2007, so it might have gotten better, but I remember seeing plenty of confederate gear, "historic" nazi stuff, and praise for the border "minutemen". Hell, Lapierre's speech this weekend had him railing about "the knockout game" as a reason to constantly be armed. I don't think there is any way you get those people to roll to income inequality by dropping guns because nonwhites are the most hurt by the inequality. And yeah, the gun show going types who marinate in that kind of rhetoric are the minority of gun owners. But they are also the politically active ones.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jagchosis posted:

I don't think it matters either way at this point, if a Democrat jerks off on or with the Second Amendment no one really buys it and the gun molesters view it as a Manchurian candidate ploy to take all our guns. We live in a post-factual world.

It's a long hard road back to legitimacy when you've staked your position on errors and lies. If not for Obama's post-Sandy Hook attack, Dems might have lost some of the taint of gun control come 2016. As it stands, they chose to portray rural working-class people who have every other reason to vote Democratic as hicks and crazies. Good outreach effort, there.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

It's still worth trying to get some sort of additional legislation, regulation or licensing or something, because goddamn, we do tend to kill more people with guns here in America than elsewhere. Trying to lower the rate of gun deaths (and lowering the rate of murder overall, ofc) should be considered a worthy aspiration by everyone, surely, because dying early sucks.

I don't know if there's any way to approach that without stirring up a hornet's nest, though, which also sucks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fried Chicken posted:

I used to agree with this, now I'm not sure it is going to matter. Obama didn't mention guns at all his first term, this was taken as evidence he was going to come for guns soon.

Even beyond that, American gun culture has a really ugly racial subtext to it post Mulford act. My last gun show was 2007, so it might have gotten better, but I remember seeing plenty of confederate gear, "historic" nazi stuff, and praise for the border "minutemen". Hell, Lapierre's speech this weekend had him railing about "the knockout game" as a reason to constantly be armed. I don't think there is any way you get those people to roll to income inequality by dropping guns because nonwhites are the most hurt by the inequality. And yeah, the gun show going types who marinate in that kind of rhetoric are the minority of gun owners. But they are also the politically active ones.

That's a good point but I like to hope it's at least possible, if only because that wildly racist demographic, while virulent, does seem to be shrinking (perhaps just due to age).

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mineaiki posted:

The worst part is that people like that almost always believe that they are speaking for a huge "silent majority" of gun owners who supposedly think just like they do. The idea of people owning guns and not having it define their politics never even once crosses their minds.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

BUSH 2112 posted:

I think the GOP is, depressingly, going to do an okay job of keeping the crazies down. Let's say, worst case scenario for the GOP, no one enters the race who hasn't already telegraphed that they would. The field would probably be something like Walker, Ryan, Paul, Cruz, and Perry. I don't believe that Rubio or Santorum are going to run, but they also have no chance of winning the nom, so whatever.

The GOP knows they can't let that happen. Despite the fact that some people downplay how much the GOPe want to win the White House, they definitely see it as the crown jewel. They also know that no matter how much you polish a turd, you'll never convince anyone that it's a diamond (besides the GOP base, of course.)

I just don't see them allowing such a drawn out process this time, nor do I see them letting crazies up on stage like last time. Having six people on stage throwing raw meat to a frothing audience is good to rile up your base, but it also made them look like a joke. I get the feeling that they're going to do whatever they can to reign that poo poo in this time. They've already kind of indicated their intention to do that by trying to draft Jeb Bush and reanimate Rick Perry's corpse because they know that average people react well to them.

Of course, I hope it all goes tits up and we get to see GOP Thunderdome '16 with even more insane people than before. I mean, hell, Cruz and Paul alone guarantee that we'll get some comedy before they get crushed by someone with an actual campaign.

[edit] Hahaha, gently caress, I didn't see that post that said that Romney would consider another funrun if JB doesn't get in. gently caress yes. Let's do this.
Here's the thing though: the crazies don't give a gently caress about what the establishment will "allow." Drunk Priebus already said that they were going to limit debates because he knows the radioactive poo poo they spewed last time is still making the rounds as jokes. But you think someone like Cruz gives a gently caress about what Reince Preibus wants? He already poo poo all over everybody in Texas to get where he is, poo poo all over his fellow Senators, poo poo on the House for doing exactly what he suggested they do. Rand Paul is probably slightly more realistic about things than his father but the Paulites have blown up before and started throwing poo poo at the walls when they find out that the guys in charge will just change the rules when the rules say the guy they've already decided should win loses.

The people who have been living in the Fox News/Breitbart/Drudge bubble have breathed too much methane and no amount of establishment oxygen is going to get let in. And there's enough of them that if the establishment doesn't at least give their guys lip service then they'll stay home at best and sabotage the convention at worst. All the loonies will do their own debates, their own appearances and if the establishment tries to punish them for it then there'll be hell to pay.

What I'm saying is that you should buy a crate of whiskey, stock in the Betty Ford clinic, and :getin: because unless the tea party completely implodes and disappears in the next year and a half things are going to be way worse (or better depending on your point of view) than 2012.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

It's a long hard road back to legitimacy when you've staked your position on errors and lies. If not for Obama's post-Sandy Hook attack, Dems might have lost some of the taint of gun control come 2016. As it stands, they chose to portray rural working-class people who have every other reason to vote Democratic as hicks and crazies. Good outreach effort, there.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how afraid of the knockout game are you, because if saying 'yo maybe you don't need an AR-whatever' is calling every rural working class person a hick somehow you must be just enraged that one of the main faces of gun rights in this country uses that as a constant thing people should be afraid of.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10 how afraid of the knockout game are you, because if saying 'yo maybe you don't need an AR-whatever' is calling every rural working class person a hick somehow you must be just enraged that one of the main faces of gun rights in this country uses that as a constant thing people should be afraid of.

Thanks for providing an excellent example of the suicidal Democratic bigotry I was just alluding to.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

TFR, for all its other flaws, is entirely aware the NRA is nothing more than a shill group for the gun industry, and you're not likely to find many kind things said about that organization in that subforum.

IuniusBrutus posted:

I really don't understand where the idea of the massive, unbelievably wealthy gun lobby came from. The NRA alone has five million, typically highly motivated and aware members - it would have a ton of pull if they didn't spend a loving dime on lobbying.

Read a bunch of the replies and responses to this post. It's a mix of people quoting sources saying 'why yes the NRA spends a ton of money' and people going 'NUH UH' and spinning a web of stupidity to justify why the NRA is really the underdog.

I don't even hate on TFR - whatever, people are going to be super into whatever they're super into - but the idea that there's a TFR consensus that the NRA is actually the giant, bloated lobbying group they are is ridiculous. It is at best a contested idea, at worst flatly rejected.

Fried Chicken posted:

If I mentioned that posters in Games were writing rape and murder fantasies for female NPCs of the other faction of their MMO would anyone be surprised?

I would, personally. I read a lot of Games and admitting on the forums to writing that kind of poo poo would get you banned if not perma'd. Like I can buy the idea of it happening because Games is a big forum and it's going to inevitably have some people on the 'ultra creepy' end of the spectrum of video game players, but that's different than it being accepted and common practice, unlike TFR and pretending the NRA isn't this gigantic, bloated gun industry lobby.

Call Games idiot MRAs wrt defending their right to see women pixels that are basically masturbation material and I'm right there with you, though. There's plenty of actual bad poo poo with which to make fun of Games.

SedanChair posted:

Thanks for providing an excellent example of the suicidal Democratic bigotry I was just alluding to.

:laffo:

Please stop posting

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's a good point but I like to hope it's at least possible, if only because that wildly racist demographic, while virulent, does seem to be shrinking (perhaps just due to age).

I have heard from people that stores and shows are rolling back on the confederate/nazi/militia stuff because they are trying to pick up the suburban Hispanic demographic. Haven't been to a show in years though

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

SedanChair posted:

I know that the "knockout game" bigotry talking point has nothing to do with yourself, but can you at least see why a lot of pro gun control folks see that as a thing "they" believe when the head of the NRA, Ted Nugent and every other "voice" of the gun rights movement keeps ranting about it every time a microphone is nearby?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Kraustofski posted:

Obama had never once said anything about guns prior to 2012, had no record of any type of gun legislation one way or another.

Romney had signed into law an assault rifle ban in his tenure as governor and was an outspoken advocate of the bill.

The NRA still went hog wild on "Obama is coming for your guns, a vote for Romney is a vote for your guns."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Magres posted:

Call Games idiot MRAs wrt defending their right to see women pixels that are basically masturbation material and I'm right there with you, though.

I don't know what threads you look at, but I've never seen anyone say this and, if anything, I would say that the games posters are way to quick to say every depiction of a woman in a game is sexist and bad.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It honestly doesn't matter what the average gun owner thinks about gun ownership policy positions. Even if they are on average more moderate on some positions like gun shows and whatnot, the leadership of the lobbying groups they give money to hold some of the most extreme positions you possibly could on the issue. If a gun owner gives money to the NRA, it doesn't really matter to me what his own personal views on gun regulation is, I'm going to treat him as if he shares all views on guns with the NRA, because he is supporting that worldview financially.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

forbidden lesbian posted:

I don't know what threads you look at, but I've never seen anyone say this and, if anything, I would say that the games posters are way to quick to say every depiction of a woman in a game is sexist and bad.

Yeah, but D&D has a well established and practiced history of despising literally every other forum, Goon or not.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Khisanth Magus posted:

Obama had never once said anything about guns prior to 2012, had no record of any type of gun legislation one way or another.

Yes he did.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080415212157/http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/issues/issues.gun.html

quote:

Barack Obama
Supports extending the assault weapons ban. Supports national law against carrying concealed weapons, with exceptions for retired police and military personnel. Supports limiting gun sales to one per month.

http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/barack_obama_gun_control.htm

quote:

KEYES: [to Obama]: I am a strong believer in the second amendment. The gun control mentality is ruthlessly absurd. It suggests that we should pass a law that prevents law abiding citizens from carrying weapons. You end up with a situation where the crook have all the guns and the law abiding citizens cannot defend themselves. I guess that’s good enough for Senator Obama who voted against the bill that would have allowed homeowners to defend themselves if their homes were broken into.

OBAMA: Let’s be honest. Mr. Keyes does not believe in common gun control measures like the assault weapons bill. Mr. Keyes does not believe in any limits from what I can tell with respect to the possession of guns, including assault weapons that have only one purpose, to kill people. I think it is a scandal that this president did not authorize a renewal of the assault weapons ban.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090122232955/http://www.whitehouse.gov/agenda/urban_policy/

quote:

Address Gun Violence in Cities: Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=6960824&page=1

quote:

The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.

"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder told reporters.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Magres posted:

I would, personally. I read a lot of Games and admitting on the forums to writing that kind of poo poo would get you banned if not perma'd. Like I can buy the idea of it happening because Games is a big forum and it's going to inevitably have some people on the 'ultra creepy' end of the spectrum of video game players, but that's different than it being accepted and common practice, unlike TFR and pretending the NRA isn't this gigantic, bloated gun industry lobby.

Call Games idiot MRAs wrt defending their right to see women pixels that are basically masturbation material and I'm right there with you, though. There's plenty of actual bad poo poo with which to make fun of Games
I won't post the name because this isn't a callout thread, but there is a poster who does this in games:blizzard:goon squad.

Most of games is as you said, but that guy... Well "that boy ain't right". He has been banned, avatared, and posts deleted, but bounces back (I'm told because he writes for a site, don't know though). When it inevitably comes out he went Patrick Bateman on some cosplayers at blizcon, it will be a tragedy, but not a surprise.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

forbidden lesbian posted:

I've seen chat about women in games in Games swing between Goons being decent human beings and 'ugh SJWs bitching about this again' kind of chat. Iirc bringing up social justice chat in Games was probatable for a while because they didn't want to deal with the derails. It's not a universal thing (and likewise, there are TFR posters who argue that the NRA is not the scrappy underdog defending their rights) but it's a thing that I've seen happen a fair amount and that won't get someone probated for being lovely.

Fried Chicken posted:

I won't post the name because this isn't a callout thread, but there is a poster who does this in games:blizzard:goon squad.

Most of games is as you said, but that guy... Well "that boy ain't right". He has been banned, avatared, and posts deleted, but bounces back (I'm told because he writes for a site, don't know though). When it inevitably comes out he went Patrick Bateman on some cosplayers at blizcon, it will be a tragedy, but not a surprise.

:rip: Helldump

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Talmonis posted:

I know that the "knockout game" bigotry talking point has nothing to do with yourself, but can you at least see why a lot of pro gun control folks see that as a thing "they" believe when the head of the NRA, Ted Nugent and every other "voice" of the gun rights movement keeps ranting about it every time a microphone is nearby?

Of course. But if you are truly reaching out to constituencies you won't tar them with a broad brush. I'm very comfortable challenging gun owners about stupid poo poo like the knockout game. Despite the efforts of the NRA to fully align gun ownership with racism and the GOP, it's becoming less true every day.

Fried Chicken posted:

My what a catalog of hatred you've assembled. Who in the end is the most repugnant, obsessive goon?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Fried Chicken posted:

Mal'Ganis Goon Squad? Because I have this horrible mental image of the Nefarian/Hellsjudge copy-pasta in long form.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SedanChair posted:

My what a catalog of hatred you've assembled. Who in the end is the most repugnant, obsessive goon?

Literally 24 hours ago you were internet diagnosing people as sociopaths that didn't love the people they were married to. Pretty sure none of us will ever come close to you there champ

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Oh come on. Thinking someone is crep for writing murder/rape fanfiction is completely reasonable.

What would someone have to do to, in your opinion, be worthy of being called a despicable piece of trash? This is getting ridiculous.

Fakeedit:

Fried Chicken posted:

Literally 24 hours ago you were internet diagnosing people as sociopaths that didn't love the people they were married to. Pretty sure none of us will ever come close to you there champ

Apparently "get married" is the answer to my question :laugh:

Realedit:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I can't speak for his list but I'd think you're pretty high up in the running.

:thurman:

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 28, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SedanChair posted:

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

SedanChair posted:

The worst goons are the ones who post.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

Nah, nah bro, Bush was an emotionally intelligent super-genius social ninja and Obama is a dark inky sociopath. /s

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fried Chicken posted:

It's totally true that the Obama's feel nothing for each other save for the satisfaction that they have each maximized their power acquisition potential, though. I mean even Michelle said she had to be convinced to marry him, probably via intense negotiations through lawyers.

Dating? What's dating?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

N. Senada posted:

The worst goons are the ones who post.

Hopefully this is something we can all agree on, in this forum or others, be we left, extreme left, ironically extreme left, rightish, or a coupons and deals poster.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Everyone do me a solid and shut the gently caress up about other forums in this thread that is not about other forums, thanks!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Politicians: jest reg'lar folks who laugh and love

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm not running. I'm not interested in running. Not a Sherman statement :getin:

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Dystram posted:

Nah, nah bro, Bush was an emotionally intelligent super-genius social ninja and Obama is a dark inky sociopath. /s

wow nice racisnm

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Speaking of weirdos, that Xlyo kid is such a power tripping dick, going around like he's the judge, jury, and executioner.

Oh hey, what's up?

In "on topic" news: Fried Chicken said he was going to use my thing from earlier in the month for next month's thread: Everything is hosed, Emphasis on Everything.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Also shut up about whatever you two are talking about too.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Phone posted:

Speaking of weirdos, that Xlyo kid is such a power tripping dick, going around like he's the judge, jury, and executioner.

Oh hey, what's up?

In "on topic" news: Fried Chicken said he was going to use my thing from earlier in the month for next month's thread: Everything is hosed, Emphasis on Everything.

Everyone just shut up about everything.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
“Well, fine, Joe Squirt Gun, if your rapist is a bird.”

Discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
So anywaaaaay, looks like Texas has successfully stolen jobs from other, more prosperous states:

quote:

Toyota is relocating its sales headquarters from California to Texas to bring its various U.S. operations, which are currently spread across the country, into one space, Reuters reports.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry reportedly courted Toyota by promising lower taxes and easier regulations, according to Bloomberg.

Sales, service, marketing, advertising, manufacturing, and quality operations will relocate to suburban Dallas, according to Reuters. Employees will be informed of the move on Monday, and some will be offered relocation packages and financial assistance.

The relocation is a blow to California, which holds the biggest auto market in the U.S. Toyota has more than 5,300 employees in California, most of whom work at the Torrance headquarters near Los Angeles, Bloomberg reports.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2014/04/28/toyota_moves_its_headquarters_from_california_to_texas.html

I wish there was some form of national legislation to mitigate this race to the bottom bullshit, but I'm not sure what would be considered constitutional by the current, federalist (when it furthers right wing ideology) Supreme Court.

• Locked thread