Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Jesus christ gently caress iron keep. I can't even get a good try on the Smelter demon because the path to him is such a loving chore. I keep trying to rush it an end up getting shot into lava because of those loving archers.

It's really not hard. Are you just fighting in the open or something? Fight behind the pillars instead of in the middle of the bridge or whatever you're doing. You only even have to get to one archer, the rest can be completely ignored!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Jesus christ gently caress iron keep. I can't even get a good try on the Smelter demon because the path to him is such a loving chore. I keep trying to rush it an end up getting shot into lava because of those loving archers.

Take your time, theres only one stage where you have to fight two guys at once and even then you can usually kill the first one with a backstab

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

bonerstorm posted:

Amazingly, it simply uses the name you give to your character in game, it's amazing. Also there's a filter, So 'ho' and 'nig' are censored in words like Thomas and Knight, quite silly yet hilarious.

K***ht T**mas 2014.

This is brilliant but terrible.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

ColHannibal posted:

So I picked Swordsman as my starting class and I am getting rocked pretty hardcore, I was thinking of starting over as I have just only gotten to the first boss and I feel like I wasted a lot of stuff. Is there another class recommended that will make life a bit easier?
I failed as melee for a while before starting over as a sorcerer and the ranged combat made a whole lot of things a whole lot easier. The first thing I got really stuck on was the boss in the Lost Bastille.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Is there some sort of tool for making this game look even more pretty? I have seen a bunch of screenshots of peoples games that looks amazing, and mine looks nothing like that.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Internet Kraken posted:

I feel ya bud. Am I even supposed to be doing this section yet? Everybody I try to help dies before me too, so hopefully its just not me sucking.

You can skip the smelter demon it seems, not that it did me any good in the rest of this godforsaken place.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

UberJumper posted:

Is there some sort of tool for making this game look even more pretty? I have seen a bunch of screenshots of peoples games that looks amazing, and mine looks nothing like that.

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=gedosato

Not sure whether its wise to use it now though, VAC may not be pleased about it.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Donald Duck posted:

Apparently now this is VAC enabled

Wonder if they'll ban people for using stuff like SweetFX and Gedosato. VAC is kinda famous for banning non-cheats.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I want to see what you guys are doing to die on the way to the Smelter Demon, it's a short walk and every enemy but one can be stunlocked into oblivion. There's only one archer that can attack you along the way, and you can hide from it easily.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Bellbroing and killing fellow bellbros is so much fun. At first I was a little put off at how easily you can be ganged up on, but once you realize that most bell keepers are poo poo and falter to the least amount of aggression, it becomes doable. Also fun to put white signs out in front of the belfry doors to have 2v2 matches and put the shoe on the other foot. :unsmigghh:

Does anyone here follow a "code of honor" when it comes to PVP? For bellbros, if the host is already engaged against another bell keeper phantom or the NPCs, I sit and watch until they die or succeed and are ready to fight me. For red invaders/gray summons/being invaded in bell, all bets are off -- I'll kill the bastards in any way I can. Not above dogpiling at all in those cases.

One other thing -- I prepurchased Dark Souls II and thus have access to the DLC bonuses, so how do I access the out-of-game stuff like the OST and comic? Was that for physical copies only or am I missing something?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Has anyone found some good boss soul items? I'm not quite sure what items I should waste them on. Mirror Shield sounds neat.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Appoda posted:

Does anyone here follow a "code of honor" when it comes to PVP? For bellbros, if the host is already engaged against another bell keeper phantom or the NPCs, I sit and watch until they die or succeed and are ready to fight me. For red invaders/gray summons/being invaded in bell, all bets are off -- I'll kill the bastards in any way I can. Not above dogpiling at all in those cases.

honor only for red soapstones and dragon eyes

Kild posted:

Has anyone found some good boss soul items? I'm not quite sure what items I should waste them on. Mirror Shield sounds neat.
Dragonrider Bow and Shield are neat.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I invaded someone who immediately got a blue sentinel then someone who already had two phantoms summoned. For how annoying it is, they made red stones really difficult to come by.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 28, 2014

Judas Priest
Jul 25, 2003
Breaking the law, breaking the law
So I'd like to use my xbox 360 controller for this, but honestly I'm a little confused.

I have a wireless controller (which does have the usb connection to the xbox to connect/charge), but is that all I have to do? The guide on the xbox page says I need a wireless adapter as well.

Anyone have any luck using the controller?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Can anyone give me advice on how to build a mage? I know I need lots of int and atn but not really sure how else I build my character. Will I need to level dex/str for melee weapons/shields ever? What about end/vgr/vit?

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

Appoda posted:

Bellbroing and killing fellow bellbros is so much fun. At first I was a little put off at how easily you can be ganged up on, but once you realize that most bell keepers are poo poo and falter to the least amount of aggression, it becomes doable. Also fun to put white signs out in front of the belfry doors to have 2v2 matches and put the shoe on the other foot. :unsmigghh:

One other thing -- I prepurchased Dark Souls II and thus have access to the DLC bonuses, so how do I access the out-of-game stuff like the OST and comic? Was that for physical copies only or am I missing something?

If you preordered on Steam, check your steamapps/common/Dark Souls II folder. There should be a Digital Extras or something folder with the files inside.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Manatee Cannon posted:

I want to see what you guys are doing to die on the way to the Smelter Demon, it's a short walk and every enemy but one can be stunlocked into oblivion. There's only one archer that can attack you along the way, and you can hide from it easily.

My problem isn't on the way to the smelter demon, my problem is the smelter demon himself (and the turtle guys if I try and skip him). Also it seems like everybody I summon cant even handle getting to the smelter demon, let alone taking him on.

And I'm a pure melee character, I got all my best fire def stuff on, I've learned his moves so I don't get hit with the worst stuff, and I hack away at this guy and it does nothing. Am I missing something here?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Judas Priest posted:

So I'd like to use my xbox 360 controller for this, but honestly I'm a little confused.

I have a wireless controller (which does have the usb connection to the xbox to connect/charge), but is that all I have to do? The guide on the xbox page says I need a wireless adapter as well.

I'm pretty sure the wireless controller doesn't play nice on PC. I spent a lot of time on google trying to figure out how to make it work and I'm pretty sure it's just not meant to be.

I ended up buying a wired one during the winter so I didn't have to put up with batteries and poo poo like that. The wired one is plug and play, super convenient.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Judas Priest posted:

I have a PS3 controller but you should be able to just plug the controller into your PC via USB cord and you're good to go.

e: idk if wireless ones are different from wired ones or not, i would assume no tho

de: apparently they are different ignore me

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Does anyone here follow a "code of honor" when it comes to PVP? For bellbros, if the host is already engaged against another bell keeper phantom or the NPCs, I sit and watch until they die or succeed and are ready to fight me.

When I see a host attacking a fellow grey phantom I warm up the ol' flame swathe.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Judas Priest posted:

You need a wireless dongle, those controllers don't transfer data over USB, just power. Wired controllers work by just plugging them in.

YOSPOS King
Apr 14, 2014

by XyloJW
The second tower is the good stuff.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I found some Dragon Remnants at the Iron Keep, is this more or the less the same as the Dragon covenant in DS1 where it was a PVP thing?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So if you're in the Bellkeepers, you can still be invaded by Bellkeepers if you're in the area?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Elysiume posted:

I invaded someone who immediately got a blue sentinel then someone who already had two phantoms summoned. For how annoying it is, they made red stones really difficult to come by.

If you're gonna give someone a lovely time you better work for it :colbert:.

I sorta wished they merged the blue factions into one covenant instead of having two covenants that really depend on the other.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

In what world is it a short walk? It takes over a minute even if you get past every enemy. Also while fighting the 3 knights guarding the bridge, at least 3 archers have a shot on me no matter where I stand. I can deal with them, it just takes awhile and is annoying when I die in 10 seconds to the smelter demon because my health bar is small and I'm losing my patience.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Appoda posted:

I wait my turn during bellbro 2v1s and always bow before engaging any opponent. My bushido spirit won't let me do it any other way.

^^^: Patience is your best tool in Dark Souls, I find. I've died so many times across both games because I either lose my cool or try to get that extra attack in that usually ends up with me getting stomped into the floor.

Azzents fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 28, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Perfect Potato posted:

I found some Dragon Remnants at the Iron Keep, is this more or the less the same as the Dragon covenant in DS1 where it was a PVP thing?

Yes, winner gets a dragon scale, and that's for leveling up the covenant. IIRC the last reward is a pretty decent greatsword.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Drakes posted:

If you're gonna give someone a lovely time you better work for it :colbert:.

I sorta wished they merged the blue factions into one covenant instead of having two covenants that really depend on the other.
And now I spent about ten minutes running around a zone, being unable to find the guy. He just now summoned someone so...I'll probably just black soapstone out. I bitched about invaders in DS1 but they took it way too far to the point of uselessness. I've been invaded all of twice in over 20 hours of play.

edit: I just ran out of time before finding the guy. gently caress cracked red eye orbs.

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

:|

Internet Kraken posted:

Just take your time and explore, no need to rush things, take the mobs 1 by 1, the archers are easy to dodge if you fight with pillars in between you and them. Make sure you hit the switches to lower both sides of the bridge. You can do it buddy!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

This game looks seriously amazing with that ENB thing. I mean, it looked great already on PC but this takes it up even further. It might be just a little too dark, if anything.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I summoned a guy for the skeleton Lords and he proceeds to kill all three of them at once. Rude!

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Ravenfood posted:

So if you're in the Bellkeepers, you can still be invaded by Bellkeepers if you're in the area?

Yes. If you don't want to be invaded but want to invade, being in the Servant's Quarters bonfire area will still summon you to defend the bell.

bonerstorm
Jul 26, 2009

:|

Gimbal lock posted:

I summoned a guy for the skeleton Lords and he proceeds to kill all three of them at once. Rude!

What a selfish prick!

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Every single black phantom I've encountered has been a hacker. This is going to be bad :(

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So what's the deal with No Man's Wharf? I got to what I presume is the end, but there was just an empty dock and the ship that should be there is still way off by the entrance to the cove. I already have access to the Old Bastille, but I was trying to go the other way and there's just...nothing there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

In what world is it a short walk? It takes over a minute even if you get past every enemy. Also while fighting the 3 knights guarding the bridge, at least 3 archers have a shot on me no matter where I stand. I can deal with them, it just takes awhile and is annoying when I die in 10 seconds to the smelter demon because my health bar is small and I'm losing my patience.

If you killed every enemy along the way to the point they didn't spawn anymore it'd take like 30 seconds to get to the fog door. Unless you decide to detour through the ballista room or stand around and take in the scenery. Starting from the bonfire you go across the bridge, up the stairs, over the bridge to the right, turn left and you're at the door.

There are two enemies outside of the keep, two in the room with the flamethrower, three in the room up the stairs. Outside you have two enemies straight forward and one on the bridge to the right. There's an archer to the right just as you enter the area. If you don't walk on the bridge that enemy won't attack you, the other two will aggro at the same time (one is further back and you have time to take care of the first one and the guy on the bridge before he even reaches you). There's a pillar right next to the bridge and it will block all of the archer's shots. Don't run past the bridge because that will set other enemies off and there's no point in going over there in the first place. You can take care of the enemy by the fog door easily because it's by itself and nothing else can hit you where it is. There, I played the game for you.

fake edit: and seriously, just kill them until they stop spawning or something if it's this bad for you.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Artix posted:

So what's the deal with No Man's Wharf? I got to what I presume is the end, but there was just an empty dock and the ship that should be there is still way off by the entrance to the cove. I already have access to the Old Bastille, but I was trying to go the other way and there's just...nothing there.

At the top of the level is a lever to pull to bring the ship to the dock.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm being warned of a trapped chest, here. Do trapped chests still contain items, i.e. I should man the gently caress up and eat the trap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Artix posted:

This is a thing I missed too, my first run through.

There's a bell you have to ring at the highest point of the wharf that calls the ship over. Either climb all the way back up or shoot the bell with an arrow.