Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

DalaranJ posted:

What's a good way of dealing with Khamer's hasten world in chapter 8?

I still haven't tried giant's drafting everyone but I have the feeling they'll just meteor * 4 + multiburst * 4 in one turn if I do that.

Moderation from the Spiritmaster, Group-Cast All Sleep, spamming the Performer's Zero Sum, clever use of Stillness, kill them really hard before they kill you, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Well I beat the rear end in a top hat magic fight from chapter 8. Stillness hosed up four times. Twice I got hit, twice it left Tiz to rage himself down to 1 hp. I hope that is the worst of it, but it was a very interesting and tense boss.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

alcharagia posted:

Moderation from the Spiritmaster, Group-Cast All Sleep, spamming the Performer's Zero Sum, clever use of Stillness, kill them really hard before they kill you, etc.

It turns out I was able to trivialize the fight with stillness setup turns. The only real threat was Khamer with both meteor and stop.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Oh god what is this boss in the fire temple

what

what

i've died once so i get the pattern but after seeing the last 2 temple bosses this one kind of caught me off guard in terms of visuals.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Oh god what is this boss in the fire temple

what

what

i've died once so i get the pattern but after seeing the last 2 temple bosses this one kind of caught me off guard in terms of visuals.

It is a reminder to watch out for rear end in a top hat jrpg patterns and to start using default.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also items bypass his barrier so if you've been rebuilding Norende feel free to stock up.

His weakness is Lightning.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

i just threw x-potions at his face until he died.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

x-potions? he counts as an undead or somthing? Or do you mean like with the Salve Maker?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
He's talking about a different, later boss.

Edit: Fire temple guy can be cheesed with abilities that have fixed damage, like the phoenix thing from monk, or most combat items. However, if you just pay attention enough to default when he uses energy blast, he's not very hard.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

bobtheconqueror posted:

Edit: Fire temple guy can be cheesed with abilities that have fixed damage, like the phoenix thing from monk, or most combat items. However, if you just pay attention enough to default when he uses energy blast, he's not very hard.

no im not

also i just did the six dragons quest in Chapter Four, and Unscathed 2 of them :mrgw:

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

I AM THE MOON posted:

no im not

also i just did the six dragons quest in Chapter Four, and Unscathed 2 of them :mrgw:

Oh right! Salvemaker stuff. That makes sense. My beezie.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

bobtheconqueror posted:

With jp at that time I don't think most people will have phoenix flight.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

There is a full-fledged artbook out there for Bravely Default, right? I know the collector's edition came with a 60 page one or something? (dunno I bought it digitally) but if I'm going to buy one it'll be the real, full thing.

vvv: Oh boy, a true artbook does exist! Thanks.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 26, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Volt Catfish posted:

There is a full-fledged artbook out there for Bravely Default, right? I know the collector's edition came with a 60 page one or something? (dunno I bought it digitally) but if I'm going to buy one it'll be the real, full thing.

You mean the Design Works book?

http://www.amazon.com/BRAVELY-DEFAU...efault+art+book

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Asterisk boss theme in Mario Paint.

Pretty goddamn cool.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
I remember that guy. He makes good Mario Paint mixes, and I'm glad he did this one.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Finally started playing this weekend. I can't wait for New Game+ so I can rearrange my party roles without hating myself for grinding out extra job levels.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Im at the Lontano Villa (yes I just got around to playing seriously). I have Ringabel and Tiz as monks, Agnes as White mage and Edea as Freelancer. Is there any value in getting a few ranks in Freelancer early on? IF not, what do you recommend for Edea? All I have access to is Black Mage, White Mage, Monk, and Freelancer.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

vulturesrow posted:

Im at the Lontano Villa (yes I just got around to playing seriously). I have Ringabel and Tiz as monks, Agnes as White mage and Edea as Freelancer. Is there any value in getting a few ranks in Freelancer early on? IF not, what do you recommend for Edea? All I have access to is Black Mage, White Mage, Monk, and Freelancer.

Getting up to level 4 in Freelancer will get you Divining Rod, which tells you how many chests are in a dungeon, and Dungeon Master, which turns off dungeon hazards. If these are things you want, then sure, go for it. If not, go Black Mage until you get Knight here in a few minutes because Heinkel's hilariously weak to thunderbolts and Edea's the "best" at hitting things.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

vulturesrow posted:

I sat on Freelancer for a little while on each character, but in retrospect I should have just assigned a job class instantly for Ringabel and Edea for quality of life reasons. That said, Divining Rod is a pretty handy thing to have in your build, and just swap it out before boss fights. I kept "Miscellaneous" on at least one party member for a pretty long time for Examine, too.

Did anybody else stop using Abilink? I used it up until the third boss or so. It just feels kinda cheaty :shobon:

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

i just used it to see what skills are at which levels, and also to test things i thought might work (like red mage bp battery) before i put in the time to grind them out.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

Did anybody else stop using Abilink? I used it up until the third boss or so. It just feels kinda cheaty :shobon:

I only used Abililink to :10bux: Big Pharma :10bux: once. That's all because Abililink is way too OP

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I didn't use it at all. I could see a case for it on Hard, maybe.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Too bad it wasn't Ringabel's theme. Best song for pulling out all the stops.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

alcharagia posted:

Getting up to level 4 in Freelancer will get you Divining Rod, which tells you how many chests are in a dungeon, and Dungeon Master, which turns off dungeon hazards. If these are things you want, then sure, go for it. If not, go Black Mage until you get Knight here in a few minutes because Heinkel's hilariously weak to thunderbolts and Edea's the "best" at hitting things.

So Knight is a good job for one of the party early on?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

vulturesrow posted:

Knight is a fantastic class. You want anyone who's going to be using physical attacks to at least take a dip in it so that they can use the Two-Handed support ability.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

vulturesrow posted:

Every class is good in this game except Freelancer.

Edit: Every class. Except Freelancer.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

alcharagia posted:

It is a great subclass though. Pick a really high BP skill and mimic a poo poo ton.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

alcharagia posted:

Yeah I was just tryingto get a feel for what classes are good to prioritize early as you acquire them to build up the more desirable abilities. Wish we had all the crazy combos and party setups people have posted about saved somewhere. The thread has gotten huge to trawling through it for the good effort posts is tedious to say the least.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 29, 2014

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Even Summoner!?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Volt Catfish posted:

Even Summoner!?

Summoner's pretty good as a subclass on Swordsmaster with Phantom Weapon + Knuckle Lore + Natural Talent. :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Volt Catfish posted:

Even Summoner!?

I've just been using Summoner interchangeably with Black Mage :shobon:

If you can pull off a Piercing Bolt + Summon marathon, it's a good way to shorten a boss fight. Then pop a turbo ether and use regular Black Magic for the remainder.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

alcharagia posted:

Ahem. Mimic.

Volt Catfish posted:

Even Summoner!?

Having strong group attacks is pretty handy for endgame when every boss fight is against groups actually.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I will defend Summoner as a good class for all time. A Summoner was in my party for a huge chunk of the midgame, as they make great crowd control characters, especially with Summoning Amp and the million and one ways to restore MP at the drop of a hat. For the end game, I switched out with more things now and then, but Summoner still got use. Hell, I took a Summoner with Summoning Amp and Convergance straight into the very end. Held their own pretty well when compared to the physical classes.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Yeah I was just tryingto get a feel for what classes are good to prioritize early as you acquire them to build up the more desirable abilities. Wish we had all the crazy combos and party setups people have posted about saved somewhere. The thread has gotten huge to trawling through it for the good effort posts is tedious to say the least.

Just re ask about whatever when you need it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Freelancer does have a twenty percent jp boost support ability but I forget how deep it is to unlock.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Freelancer does have a twenty percent jp boost support ability but I forget how deep it is to unlock.

Level 10

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh this game.:allears: (Minor Chapter 8 spoilers)

DeRosso, the Immortal Vampire Cosplayer, complaining about getting paired up with the "Duchy's Psychopaths" is pretty great.

Then I wipe them all out with Fairy Aid rendering their tactic moot.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

After beating this my JRPG itch was going full-bore so I ended up playing SMY IV and Tales of the Abyss.

I gotta say, this game really does have some of the best music in the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Is there just something strange that I accidentally did, or is the Ranger class better than, like, everything. My Tiz Ranger out damages any other anything. I'm at about level 50 coming up on the Fire Temple (I've been grinding to the point of ridiculousness).

• Locked thread