Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is there any punishment for Alt+F4ing? I want to explore the Ratbro covenant area but I'm sick of getting summoned every 3 steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fat_Cow posted:

I've been sitting in the Servant Quarters with the bell ring on for 5 minutes and haven't gotten any sort of PVP, do I have to be in the bell place to get summoned?

It's been a slow Bellday. It is a weekday to be fair.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I was directly responding to a guy that said the weapon system in this game was better than in Dark Souls by pointing out how the first part of it is severely flawed, as limiting resources to one area in a nonlinear game discourages the player from trying out new gear. Maybe you should actually read before posting.

Maybe you should calm down. :v:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Christ, how long is this game? I've cleared a poo poo ton of areas and unlocked like 25+ bonfires, but I still see a bunch of stuff talked about in the thread that I've never seen and still haven't found an 1)ore seller or 2) a blacksmith that can enchant my poo poo.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

[...] there's a merchant that sells an infinite amount after clearing the Iron Keep.

This is exactly what Internet Kraken is identifying as the poorly designed element. There is absolutely no reason to expect all or even most players to go to the Iron Keep as the first great soul, and thus, some players do not get access to infinite titanite until much later in the game. He isn't saying it's required to progress, but he is absolutely correct in saying that it really feels odd for a game this non-liner to have specific events trigger the unlock of infinite upgrade materials.They could have tied that to Soul memory or great souls obtained for better results IMO.

It also doesn't help that getting to the huntsman's copse is probably the single worst part of DS2 level design. Locking this entire wing of the game until you exhaust a merchant dialog and THEN go find said merchant in an area you would NEVER need to walk through again with bonfire warp is a huge issue to me. Anecdotal I know, but I found the Copse entrance super late and only after mild spoilers, as did a bunch of people I work with.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

poptart_fairy posted:

If Bloodbro A invades Bloodbro B, but B kills A, will B still get a token of spite?

No. He's not invading. That's how it should work at least.

Does anyone want a Black Witches Staff or a Staff of Anime? Both rare drops, and I got 2, count em, TWO, Black Witches Staff. So if anyone wants to trade for them just say so.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Fun fact. The channeler trident's one-handed R2 strikes multiple times! :eng101:
It takes full durability damage for each hit. :pseudo:
I happened to hit 3 durability-ruining enemies at the same time and shattered it when it still had 1/3 durability. :eng99:

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

fargom posted:

This is exactly what Internet Kraken is identifying as the poorly designed element. There is absolutely no reason to expect all or even most players to go to the Iron Keep as the first great soul, and thus, some players do not get access to infinite titanite until much later in the game. He isn't saying it's required to progress, but he is absolutely correct in saying that it really feels odd for a game this non-liner to have specific events trigger the unlock of infinite upgrade materials.They could have tied that to Soul memory or great souls obtained for better results IMO.

It also doesn't help that getting to the huntsman's copse is probably the single worst part of DS2 level design. Locking this entire wing of the game until you exhaust a merchant dialog and THEN go find said merchant in an area you would NEVER need to walk through again with bonfire warp is a huge issue to me. Anecdotal I know, but I found the Copse entrance super late and only after mild spoilers, as did a bunch of people I work with.

Well, the sign above the door is lit up, so it definitely lets you know something's changed. If you bother looking over there.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is there a weapon like the Black Witch's Staff that lets you cast All Magic Ever but before, like, the endgame?

neetengie posted:

No. He's not invading. That's how it should work at least.

Does anyone want a Black Witches Staff or a Staff of Anime? Both rare drops, and I got 2, count em, TWO, Black Witches Staff. So if anyone wants to trade for them just say so.

Me I want the Black Witch's Staff :(

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just got to bastille now. It seems like a chill place, minus the first bonfire and the waist-high wall bullshit trying to get back to it. I have a few questions.

I am doing a knight character. Rockin' a bastard sword, bound wooden shield, and elite knight armor. Should I be using titanite on any of that? Is it worth it to upgrade with that stuff? Also, should I upgrade any of it from the blacksmith guy in Majula?

So far, I've done Heide's tower to the end boss, Forest of Fallen Giants, and some of No-Man's Wharf (gently caress those long arm guys, hate em!).

I have a halberd and bastard sword. Really liking the bastard sword more. I got the Heide Knight Sword and Flame sword, too. Preference is definitely with bastard sword.

The plan is to not use magic. Will I be viable?

Also, I'm enjoying summoning/being summoned to do bosses. It makes it more fun to me.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

omg chael crash posted:

Some rear end in a top hat that I summoned just shot me with the ballista during the Pursuer fight. :darksouls:

It's me, I'm this guy.

My kill count is at three now, all other phantoms. Stop juking into the line of fire, you dumb asses! Put the bulk of the Pursuer between you and the ballista, then turtle with your shield up until he's dead. It's not hard! I haven't been hit once, and I always volunteer to serve as bait.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

fargom posted:

It's not better than Dark Souls 1 (way better than Demon's Souls though, man gently caress getting upgrade materials in that game) but it's not something to get up in arms over is what I'm saying. There are more than enough shards in the game for you to have 3-4 weapons upgraded past that point. What I was saying is that you find enough materials naturally through the game to keep your weapons up to date and that is far and away better than the last two games even if the merchant is kinda obtuse and dumb.

You're right about the Huntsmans Copse though, that was pretty stupid. Though there is reason to go back, since it's clearly obvious that that is supposed to do something. You just won't remember or think the miracle merchant would have anything to do with it. I thought it was what the lockstones were for when I first saw it. :shrug:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Do the enemy hitboxes feel really wonky to anyone else, too? I've been going through Heide Fire Tower earlier today and those big sentinel guys kept missing me with swings that should have hit my two times over by all rights. Like, the weapon actually passed through me, but the hit just didn't register.

I've been having the opposite problem with spear dudes. I just keep getting hit by stabs that are visually passing like three feet away from me and dodging doesn't do poo poo to help.

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's not better than Dark Souls 1 (way better than Demon's Souls though, man gently caress getting upgrade materials in that game) but it's not something to get up in arms over is what I'm saying. There are more than enough shards in the game for you to have 3-4 weapons upgraded past that point. What I was saying is that you find enough materials naturally through the game to keep your weapons up to date and that is far and away better than the last two games even if the merchant is kinda obtuse and dumb.
I can only speak for myself, but I have also got some serious issues finding upgrade materials. I've just finished the Undead Purgatory and have found 3 large titanite shards total, no twinkling titanite at all and at most five or six small titanite shards, I've had to buy the rest. Compared to the fairly regular pace at which you could upgrade your stuff in Dark Souls just from drops this is really awful.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 28, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Volt Catfish posted:

Is there a weapon like the Black Witch's Staff that lets you cast All Magic Ever but before, like, the endgame?

Sent you a PM.

vandalism posted:

I just got to bastille now. It seems like a chill place, minus the first bonfire and the waist-high wall bullshit trying to get back to it. I have a few questions.

I am doing a knight character. Rockin' a bastard sword, bound wooden shield, and elite knight armor. Should I be using titanite on any of that? Is it worth it to upgrade with that stuff? Also, should I upgrade any of it from the blacksmith guy in Majula?

So far, I've done Heide's tower to the end boss, Forest of Fallen Giants, and some of No-Man's Wharf (gently caress those long arm guys, hate em!).

I have a halberd and bastard sword. Really liking the bastard sword more. I got the Heide Knight Sword and Flame sword, too. Preference is definitely with bastard sword.

Also, I'm enjoying summoning/being summoned to do bosses. It makes it more fun to me.

Yes, you'll be viable even without magic. Bastard Sword is a worthy upgrade, I'd wait on the other stuff till you get armor and shields you really like.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

DrNutt posted:

Christ, how long is this game? I've cleared a poo poo ton of areas and unlocked like 25+ bonfires, but I still see a bunch of stuff talked about in the thread that I've never seen and still haven't found an 1)ore seller or 2) a blacksmith that can enchant my poo poo.

Harvest Valley has a woman right by the entrance to it (you literally cannot progress past her without noticing her) that sells roe, buy some stuff from her and talk to her and she'll go to Majula. McDuff is in Bastille in an area you access by blowing up a wall (bottom of a staircase with a big mummy dude who chucks an explosive barrel down it at you). You need the Dull Ember from the Iron Keep to actually be able to buy poo poo/infuse poo poo from him.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Volt Catfish posted:

I got pissed off at the shrine of whatever on my Strength character and rolled a sorcerer. Just when I was thinking gee it'd be nice to have a Black Witch's Staff, I go back to the Strength character and guess what drops off the first witch I kill. :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

vandalism posted:

I pretty much finished Bastille with the same set-up, though I was putting a lot of stat points into attunement, faith, and int so I could eventually use spells. Bastard sword is a goddamn beast and is totally worth upgrading.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Maybe you guys are overleveled for it? I've had constant (like 10 second downtime) between invasions for a few hours now.

Elman posted:

Is there any punishment for Alt+F4ing? I want to explore the Ratbro covenant area but I'm sick of getting summoned every 3 steps.
If the Bone of Order in your inventory is any indication, yes. Doing it too many times will cut you off from online play.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Captain Oblivious posted:

Knocked out all 100 of my kills on Sunday in a quick fashion, no one was ringing that bell.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Man, after the awesome fight with the Smelter Demon the actual boss of Iron Keep is such a disappointment. Not even remotely challenging, and I didn't even use ranged attacks. I can only imagine how big of a joke it is for a mage.

How do you get those treasure on the lava tiles in the Keep though? Even when I stacked tons of fire resist, the fire still hurt a ton. No way I could survive opening a chest so I feel like there's something I missed but I'm not sure what.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ravenfood posted:

Maybe you guys are overleveled for it? I've had constant (like 10 second downtime) between invasions for a few hours now.

I've been hanging around near Sol which is where people about my level range should be tooling around. Nada. Just a slow Bellday. :shrug:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Elman posted:

I thought there would be a timer on how often you could get invaded like in DS1. I was only summoned once.

The real lovely thing about the rat covenant is not only do the enemies not attack the host of the world, but everything you kill is in their world so you aren't even making real progress. There's no incentive to do anything other than kill the host or die quickly. I was summoned by a crappy shield-stalling player who was constantly retreating behind enemies, I cleared out just about every rat before I finally killed him... and then returned to my world only to have to clear them all again. :sigh:

Just getting summoned is a victory for them in how they can force you to waste time killing enemies in another player's world. Or you can both do a mexican standoff since there is no incentive for the summoned player to progress in the level.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

How do you get those treasure on the lava tiles in the Keep though? Even when I stacked tons of fire resist, the fire still hurt a ton. No way I could survive opening a chest so I feel like there's something I missed but I'm not sure what.

Try water.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

I can only speak for myself, but I have also got some serious issues finding upgrade materials. I've just finished the Undead Purgatory and have found 3 large titanite shards total, no twinkling titanite at all and at most five or six small titanite shards, I've had to buy the rest. Compared to the fairly regular pace at which you could upgrade your stuff in Dark Souls just from drops this is really awful.

You've not found a bunch of high end materials because you're not supposed to have +5 super armor and a maxed out weapon that early in the game. :v: It does partially depend on what order you're doing things in, but I know I had twinkling titanite and at least a +5 sword without ever grinding for materials so it's entirely possible. After getting all four great souls I'm sitting on a +10 sword, +7 bow, +6 catalyst, and +5 talisman and the only grinding I did was incidental to remove the enemies from Black Gulch (being a bellhop is a far easier way to get that material but that wasn't exactly what I was going for at the time).

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Leadthumb posted:

I found through trial and error, the reason your halberd is breaking so fast is because you are hitting things with the shaft of the weapon.
This is why you do like 1/4 your damage sometimes as well. You have to hit enemies with the tip of it or you will do less damage and break it faster.

It's no DS1 halberd. :(

This is a pro-tip (literally?), thanks man.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Elman posted:

If you disconnect after being invaded some set number of times you'll get locked out of all online play. Using the Bone of Order resets this, but you only get one (as far as I know). Either join the rat covenant or don't explore the zone.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

No problem. I played through all of Dark souls with the halberd, so I started using this one as soon as I got it. Took a while to figure out what was happening. It's a very strange change, I miss my old trusty halberd.

Leadthumb fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 28, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You've not found a bunch of high end materials because you're not supposed to have +5 super armor and a maxed out weapon that early in the game. :v: It does partially depend on what order you're doing things in, but I know I had twinkling titanite and at least a +5 sword without ever grinding for materials so it's entirely possible. After getting all four great souls I'm sitting on a +10 sword, +7 bow, +6 catalyst, and +5 talisman and the only grinding I did was incidental to remove the enemies from Black Gulch (being a bellhop is a far easier way to get that material but that wasn't exactly what I was going for at the time).
I don't know about what sort of gear progress you're "supposed to" be able to make at what point, all I can say that it feels like my ability to improve my equipment really doesn't seem to hold pace with the speed at which enemies get tougher. I've been sitting on my Fire Longsword +5 for ages now and done a bunch of different areas, hoping to find a way to improve my stuff, but for the last ten hours or so my strength has basically plateaued completely while enemies keep getting more health and hitting harder. What's worse, I still get hosed up just as hard when trying to do the Bastille boss as I did when I got there the first time.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

turtlecrunch posted:

Also applies to scythes too apparently. Makes me sad, the Great Scythe was my favorite weapon in DS1.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

We went through the game in different paths, and likely this is causing us to not agree on this. However, no. I absolutely do not agree that there is enough titanite "naturally through the game" in order to keep your weapons upgraded. Sure, if you follow the wiki or a guide and know exactly the optimal path to take, or know exactly what weapon type you want to upgrade you probably aren't going to run into a problem. The issue Internet Kraken identified and I agree with is that there is not enough titanite to experiment, or you know, try out that bad rear end weapon you just found.

Also, nobody is getting "up in arms" over this, it's just discussing video games in a video game thread. We can disagree on elements of a game design without trying to force other people to agree with an individual opinion.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Sanctum posted:

I thought there would be a timer on how often you could get invaded like in DS1. I was only summoned once.

The real lovely thing about the rat covenant is not only do the enemies not attack the host of the world, but everything you kill is in their world so you aren't even making real progress. There's no incentive to do anything other than kill the host or die quickly. I was summoned by a crappy shield-stalling player who was constantly retreating behind enemies, I cleared out just about every rat before I finally killed him... and then returned to my world only to have to clear them all again. :sigh:

Just getting summoned is a victory for them in how they can force you to waste time killing enemies in another player's world. Or you can both do a mexican standoff since there is no incentive for the summoned player to progress in the level.

Actually, by killing the rats in the host world, you are actively hurting him. The rats are on the same respawn total as everything else. So if people keep killing the rats in the guy's dungeon, eventually the rats stop respawning when he rests at his bonefire, and now his little dungeon isn't as nice anymore. (Mind you, he can burn the item to repop mobs)

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

Elysiume posted:

If you disconnect after being invaded some set number of times you'll get locked out of all online play. Using the Bone of Order resets this, but you only get one (as far as I know). Either join the rat covenant or don't explore the zone.

According to one of the wikis you can get another by waiting for "hours" in the starting area. Sounds dubious and dumb, but w/e.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh wow, they actually enabled VAC. I'm shocked.

Shame that now I have to wonder if I'll get hit for x360ce.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Should add a "if you want to upgrade your gear path" to the OP: Heide's Tower of Flame---->Huntsman's Copse---->Harvest Valley---->Earthen Peak----->Iron Keep

That and burn the loving windmill.

Everything else is irrelevant.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sivek posted:

Should add a "if you want to upgrade your gear path" to the OP: Heide's Tower of Flame---->Huntsman's Copse---->Harvest Valley---->Earthen Peak----->Iron Keep

That and burning the loving windmill.

Good luck getting through Huntsman's Copse without better gear though! Seriously that area is full of some nasty poo poo.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

HAHAHA! I finally figured out the "trick" to Ruins Sentinels! It's so stupidly obvious I feel stupid for not thinking of it earlier.

In short: DON'T SUMMON TWO PEOPLE! The health and defense bonus the trio have when there's three people are why they're so tough. I summoned only one guy, and between us the first Sentinel only got a single swing in before we knocked it down to half health. The Sentinels with two people might as well be made of paper compared to the Sentinels with three people.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Man, I am loving this so far. I'm still before the first boss of the game, but it's been a ton of fun. I really made a mistake starting with an Explorer, though. No damage whatsoever, so I decided to reroll as a Warrior and it's made a world of difference. That first Ballista Room was giving me so much trouble until I switched.

Also having a ton of fun getting summoned and helping people with bosses. I may be getting an excess of souls, though, so I should probably slow it down. Still, if anyone wants to randomly bump into me sometime, my Steam name is Serphius and I'm always up for some jolly cooperation. :buddy:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wonder how many areas there are that I completely forgot about just because I saw the entrance so long ago. I heard people talk about there being more than one Koopatrol in the Forest So I tried to find the area they were talking about. Ended up heading down to where I fought the Last Giant and remembered there was a locked door there. Might as well try to open it.

Well I could, using the key I got from an area on the other side of the map dozens of hours later :psyduck:

Still can't find the turtle knights though.

EDIT: Jesus christ these slamanders are wrecking me.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 28, 2014

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I wonder how many areas there are that I completely forgot about just because I saw the entrance so long ago. I heard people talk about there being more than one Koopatrol in the Forest So I tried to find the area they were talking about. Ended up heading down to where I fought the Last Giant and remembered there was a locked door there. Might as well try to open it.

Well I could, using the key I got from an area on the other side of the map dozens of hours later :psyduck:

Still can't find the turtle knights though.

The door is in the small room right after climbing down the bonfire ladder and before the large open area with the Hollow snipers. No clue why there is a bonfire there, it's pretty pointless.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

fargom posted:

We went through the game in different paths, and likely this is causing us to not agree on this. However, no. I absolutely do not agree that there is enough titanite "naturally through the game" in order to keep your weapons upgraded. Sure, if you follow the wiki or a guide and know exactly the optimal path to take, or know exactly what weapon type you want to upgrade you probably aren't going to run into a problem. The issue Internet Kraken identified and I agree with is that there is not enough titanite to experiment, or you know, try out that bad rear end weapon you just found.

Also, nobody is getting "up in arms" over this, it's just discussing video games in a video game thread. We can disagree on elements of a game design without trying to force other people to agree with an individual opinion.

That remark was largely aimed at this:

Internet Kraken posted:

:lol: You're a loving joke.

As to the rest, I wasn't trying to force you to agree with me but I apologize if that's how I came off. But you really don't need to take an optimal path or know much anything for things to work out. Yeah, it doesn't allow you to upgrade everything you find (and I don't think it should, which is likely were we differ) but you do have the leeway to use more than one if you so choose, or even drop one you've sunk upgrades into without losing much. The materials are definitely there if you look for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I only got annoyed because that guy was resorting to hyperbole rather than addressing my points. He also kept posting as if he knew exactly how I played the game and suggested all my faults with it were because of a minmax mentality, which is pretty obnoxious.