Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I just remembered something I wanted to ask earlier in the thread. Someone said something about an anti-piracy thing in this game like the Deus Ex boat, but I can't find the post. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

If you pirated the game JC Denton kills you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Going through Black Gulch I found a chest surrounded with blood stains that showed a phantom opening it and dying. I ended up destroying it, was there anything good inside or just a trap?

Pretty sure its still a Divine Blessing from the console version

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Going through Black Gulch I found a chest surrounded with blood stains that showed a phantom opening it and dying. I ended up destroying it, was there anything good inside or just a trap?

It wasn't a trap chest or mimic at all so you didn't need to destroy it. They died because there are those breakable poison statues on the way to and all around the chest that constantly spit poison as you get near them. The chest itself contains a Divine Blessing.

And yeah even trapped chests have good stuff, just open them and roll away.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

For some reason I'm really amused by all the incredibly immature messages that people try so hard to turn into something lewd. "Visions of tight spot..." in front of the Emerald Herald, a whole lot of messages ending in "but hole," and some other miscellaneous stuff that's not as juvenile ("Listen carefully, skeleton"). I left my own in Soldier's Rest in the room with the dead giant: "head but hole." Makes sense if you remember what the giant looks like :haw:

It had a good number of ratings until I lost it because I didn't realize you could only have ten messages out at once :sigh:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Just finished drangleic castle and found out that apparently I totally skipped Undead Purgatory. Is there some really exciting things there or can I just push on a little further?

Internet Kraken posted:

Does anyone else ever find that that in PvP they hit someone, the game makes the sound for them hitting the person, yet they don't take any damage? It happens for me on a regular basis with Pate's Spear. I'll clearly stab someone but they don't take any damage from it. Never see it happen to me though.

EDIT: like, this poo poo happens every loving fight. Its as if this weapon is broken.
You have five pages of bitching about Dark Souls 2. Just calm down dude.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622261&userid=163813&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

misguided rage posted:

Trapped chests still have items in them, I dunno what that one in particular had. You can open it and then roll away without dying if you're fast enough.

That sucks, hopefully it wasn't anything good. I guess Gavlan's chest made me paranoid.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

That sucks, hopefully it wasn't anything good. I guess Gavlan's chest made me paranoid.

Like I said, it wasn't a trapped chest and you missed a Divine Blessing. Not the end of the world, but helpful in the level full of poison.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Kimmalah posted:

It wasn't a trap chest or mimic at all so you didn't need to destroy it. They died because there are those breakable poison statues on the way to and all around the chest that constantly spit poison as you get near them. The chest itself contains a Divine Blessing.

And yeah even trapped chests have good stuff, just open them and roll away.

How do you get this far into the level and not clear the statues before opening the chest :psyduck: . I didn't even consider that because it seemed so stupid.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There we go, two out of four great souls. All I needed to do was stop getting hit! Now I'm sitting pretty at level 100.

With npc vendors, do you advance any of their questlines by buying out their stock like in DS1?

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Just finished drangleic castle and found out that apparently I totally skipped Undead Purgatory. Is there some really exciting things there or can I just push on a little further?

The two things in there is the Chariot boss fight and the pvp covenant. That's it, just the boss and the covenant leader.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

How do you get this far into the level and not clear the statues before opening the chest :psyduck: . I didn't even consider that because it seemed so stupid.

Well there's a few behind the chest that can get you, but yeah it would be hard to die from. I can't think of anything else it could be though, it wasn't the chest and probably not an enemy.

Edit: Unless they're just like letting those eel/hand things run around without killing them?

RBA Starblade posted:

There we go, two out of four great souls. All I needed to do was stop getting hit! Now I'm sitting pretty at level 100.

With npc vendors, do you advance any of their questlines by buying out their stock like in DS1?

The two things in there is the Chariot boss fight and the pvp covenant. That's it, just the boss and the covenant leader.

That guy in the house next to the pit will get more stock if you spend a lot of money. And they'll all give you stuff if you spend a certain amount, then talk to them.

Otherwise the others' stock updates when you reach certain milestones in the game (like certain bosses defeated/areas cleared).

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 29, 2014

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

lordfrikk posted:

It took me only about 40 tries but I finally killed the Ruin Sentinels :toot: And amazingly enough, it trained me so well I managed to murder the Belfry Gargoyles in one go!

I thought the latter were way harder than the former, until I stopped trying to get up in their business and just kept my distance. I used all 5 of my estus and like 12 lifegems on them even still. Bloody expensive, indeed...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kimmalah posted:

That guy in the house next to the pit will get more stock if you spend a lot of money. And they'll all give you stuff if you spend a certain amount, then talk to them.

Otherwise the others' stock updates when you reach certain milestones in the game (like certain bosses defeated/areas cleared).

Right, but I mean is there anything like Big Hat Logan where you finish his stuff by buying every single thing he's got?

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Oh my god invading is so fun and fast in this holy poo poo

People are so bad

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Oh sorry I didn't realize we weren't supposed to ask questions about Dark Souls in the Dark Souls thread. I was just checking to see if anyone else was experiencing an issue, yeesh.

They probably go "oooh treasure!" and run up without looking around. Alternatively they're dieing from poison with no way to stop it so they're just desperately running for the chest to get something before dieing.

VVV Says the guy trying to start an argument for no reason. Lighten up.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 29, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh sorry I didn't realize we weren't supposed to ask questions about Dark Souls in the Dark Souls thread. How about you stop fixating so much on my posting? I was just checking to see if anyone else was experiencing an issue, yeesh.

You're pretty much Chibisoma of the PC thread, dude.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I am in the level after the rat covenant. Found some giant spider thing farting white mist and killed it, got a lovely green moss for my trouble and then I saw a message on the floor that said "friend ahead", did I gently caress myself over yet again by killing an important NPC? :smithicide:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Having a loving blast crushing fools with my +10 Zwei for the glory of the Rat King.

This is seriously the best.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Right, but I mean is there anything like Big Hat Logan where you finish his stuff by buying every single thing he's got?

I don't know of any but I didn't buy anyone completely out. The only merchant with any kind of "story" that I know of is Licia (the miracles lady), which is triggered by finding a certain item. And McDuff sort of has a questline I guess if you spend money on infusions.

The Majula guy's new dialogue is sad though.

keyframe posted:

I am in the level after the rat covenant. Found some giant spider thing farting white mist and killed it, got a lovely green moss for my trouble and then I saw a message on the floor that said "friend ahead", did I gently caress myself over yet again by killing an important NPC? :smithicide:

Not really. The ant queen is just not-hostile and her white mist cures poison.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Jesus CHRIST, the area before the third bonfire in Shrine of Amana. 2 spellcasters that can see and snipe at you as soon as the game draws them on the screen, two knights that engage once you get close to the spellcasters, and a lizard hollow to boot. If I hadn't leveled up dex some to use bows, I would have been SCREWED. There's no way I could take all that on just with sorcery.

What were they thinking with that? :wtc:

That's enough for tonight. That area pissed me off too much to want to keep playing for now. And of course, I got invaded and one-shot right before the bonfire.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 29, 2014

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can someone give me advice on how to parry in DS2?
I can riposte a DS1 Black Knight to death with my eyes shut but for gods sake I can't parry anything in DS2.

I did bind attack buttons to keyboard keys and then used thrid-party software to trigger keys from mouse clicks. As far as I know that should remove the lovely mouse delay.

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

I can riposte a DS1 Black Knight to death with my eyes shut but for gods sake I can't parry anything in DS2.

I did bind attack buttons to keyboard keys and then used thrid-party software to trigger keys from mouse clicks. As far as I know that should remove the lovely mouse delay.

It's the same thing but with stricter timing.

(also to riposte you have to wait for them to fall on their butt or fall back a little bit)

Kiran fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 29, 2014

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

404notfound posted:

and some other miscellaneous stuff that's not as juvenile ("Listen carefully, skeleton").

I saw this the other night and chuckled pretty hard.

There was one someone put in Shaded Ruins that cracked me up on the console version where there is a spot you can walk around behind a building and if you turn the camera just right you will see Manscorpion Tark all the way in the background. The message said: "Look carefully... and then, Bug!"

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

I've been a phantom for dudes who tried to run through Black Gulch without clearing any statues, did not go well for them. Side note: try spear

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Cyberventurer posted:

Jesus CHRIST, the area before the third bonfire in Shrine of Amana. 2 spellcasters that can see and snipe at you as soon as the game draws them on the screen, two knights that engage once you get close to the spellcasters, and a lizard hollow to boot. If I hadn't leveled up dex some to use bows, I would have been SCREWED. There's no way I could take all that on just with sorcery.

What were they thinking with that? :wtc:

That's enough for tonight. That area pissed me off too much to want to keep playing for now. And of course, I got invaded and one-shot right before the bonfire.

Binoculars and lightning spears make that area a little more painless. A little.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Some rear end in a top hat burned the chest in oil when I summoned him in blackgulch. :argh:

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Summoning people is way too quick, there needs to be a cooldown or something. I just killed at least 10 of a host's summoned buddies, completely ran out of miracles, and then finally accidentally walked into lava while the host was several rooms away and nobody was anywhere near me.

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

garth ferengi posted:

Summoning people is way too quick, there needs to be a cooldown or something. I just killed at least 10 of a host's summoned buddies, completely ran out of miracles, and then finally accidentally walked into lava while the host was several rooms away and nobody was anywhere near me.

No way man, they're just making up for all of the time players wasted waiting for DS1 summons to not fail.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Summary of the Skeleton Lords fight:

Okay, this first guy is really easy to kill, is this like a 4K redux fight or what?
So now there's some skeletons that probably respawn if I kill them, no big deal.
Whew, third Lord down, just have to mop up the trash to fill out their hea-OH GOD BONEWHEELS :supaburn:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jack Trades posted:

Try watching their arms and parry early than you would in Dark Souls. In general I find you have to anticipate attacks heavily to parry them properly, as the parry window seems to be during the windup of the attack. If you wait til its just about to hit, then they'll just smack you in the face instead.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there any real chance of getting summoned back to Belfry Luna now that it's putting me in Sol's queue? I liked that tight, close-quarters layout more, and I'm barely getting any bites in Sol anyway.

Ravenfood posted:

Whew, third Lord down, just have to mop up the trash to fill out their hea-OH GOD BONEWHEELS :supaburn:

I'm kind of disappointed that at some point a few bonewheels don't come along for the ride with the Chariot. Like a wheel falls off and oh no it's a giant bonewheel! The Copse bosses are some of the most fun so far though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where is the Iron Keep, should I still be munching on all these souls I find? How do I know which ones are important. Apparently the Iron Keep is something I'm supposed to find early game, but I already feel like I killed 3 major bosses.

(Last Giant, Flexile, and Ruin bros)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

Summary of the Skeleton Lords fight:

Okay, this first guy is really easy to kill, is this like a 4K redux fight or what?
So now there's some skeletons that probably respawn if I kill them, no big deal.

Yeah you really gotta kill them one at a time and mop up the trash first. The fight is pretty easy if you just stock up on holy water urns from that Blue Sentinel dude.

Turtlicious posted:

Where is the Iron Keep, should I still be munching on all these souls I find? How do I know which ones are important. Apparently the Iron Keep is something I'm supposed to find early game, but I already feel like I killed 3 major bosses.

Iron Keep is after Huntsman's Copse/Harvest Valley/Earthen Peak. The important boss souls will be really obvious. All other boss souls can be used to get unique items from two merchants in game, but otherwise can be used.

Or if you just want it laid out, you need the souls of the Lost Sinner, Old Iron King, The Rotten and Duke's Dear Freja to progress. All others can be used for items or consumed for souls. Once you progress through the Shrine of Winter, those old one souls can also be used.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 29, 2014

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Try watching their arms and parry early than you would in Dark Souls. In general I find you have to anticipate attacks heavily to parry them properly, as the parry window seems to be during the windup of the attack. If you wait til its just about to hit, then they'll just smack you in the face instead.

Okay thanks, I'll try that. That change does seem pretty stupid though.

Also where's my kick? Is that long-windup bitch-slap supposed to be a replacement for it? It can't even destroy plank doors like kick in DS1 could.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Jack Trades posted:

Also where's my kick? Is that long-windup bitch-slap supposed to be a replacement for it? It can't even destroy plank doors like kick in DS1 could.

The long-windup hit is the replacement for the kick. It's not nearly as overall useful as the kick. However, it is a guard break, and at that it is better than the kick ever was. If you hit someone with the guard break when they have their shield up, you can follow up with a free riposte.

I've surprised many a greatshield invader with it. People think it's just like the kick and that they are safe even if it connects. I've fixed that misconception.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 29, 2014

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Jack Trades posted:

Okay thanks, I'll try that. That change does seem pretty stupid though.

If you successfully guard break someone in pvp you can riposte them from the front. It's incredibly satisfying.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Turtlicious posted:

My rule of thumb with boss souls is to not eat them until I find the smiths that use them. Then I'll see if the smiths have anything I want, and if not I'll use the souls at some point in the future. I prefer to save the consumable souls for when I need a few more souls to level up or buy stuff after losing all of them, rather than right when I get them.

Depending on what path you take you might not find the smiths for awhile, but most of the stuff you can make with them requires high stats anyways.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

If you successfully guard break someone in pvp you can riposte them from the front. It's incredibly satisfying.

Guard break seems so slow that most people would just backstep out of the way. I haven't tried it myself though, so maybe people are worse than I think.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think i've found my favorite thing to do ever in a video game and that's using Dark Fog on people in the bell tower :getin:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Turtlicious posted:

Iron Keep is actually mid-game, so don't worry about it.

Boss souls can be saved for weapons later, so hold on to those. The other souls can be used for cash, so best used when you are at a bonfire and want to level.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

Guard break seems so slow that most people would just backstep out of the way. I haven't tried it myself though, so maybe people are worse than I think.

Thing is if they even get tapped with that move while their shield is up, they go into a massive vulnerability animation. It's not like the kick where who cares if you get hit by it. Also you step forward during the windup yourself. Not something to overuse mind you, but effective where it's useful.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How effective is the Delicate String (ring that increases your chance of being invaded)? I want to get my brawl on.