Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Here, have this horrible thing:

Close to Home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 4/28/2003

Yep, they're a family of voyeurs. Oh, and exhibitionists too, based on the "Brussels Incident". Yay Brooke! You go dude!

Why do they have knee-high windows? Did Edda climb a drainpipe to look in on them, or is she crawling around on all fours out there?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Kismet posted:

Why do they have knee-high windows? Did Edda climb a drainpipe to look in on them, or is she crawling around on all fours out there?

Or are they dancing on a table next to the window.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Here, have this horrible thing:

Close to Home

The best analysis of Close to Home:

http://blog.tompappalardo.com/?p=895

quote:

Jesus gently caress, McPherson. Can’t you draw a loving car? Do you know what perspective is? Is that supposed to be fire in a trashcan? Is that an Asian man in that broken window? Is that rat the same size as that man’s head? When did car manufacturers stop producing vehicles with hood ornaments, exactly? Is that a knife on the ground? Do most brick wall dead-end alleys have floor trim along the ground? Jesus loving gently caress, LOOK HOW loving TERRIBLE THAT CAR LOOKS. Is it 40 feet long? Is the front tire bigger than the back one? IT IS REALLY REALLY BAD.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

*sigh* she is going to find some note her father John Darling left her, and he is going to call her by his pet name for her, Barbie.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The Little King

Can someone Red & Rover this one?

Mark Trail the angry beast

Buz Sawyer

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

It always weirds me out when they say the cat's name, because Solange is my sister's name. I don't want her to be associated with this terrible comic. :smith:

At least the cat strips are better than the others, I guess.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

The Little King

The Little King is shockingly bad at golf but no one will say so. Also his caddy is a kangaroo because why not?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kismet posted:

It's Eddahaus. :v:

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Tomorrow's Nancy is going to have Phil putting on a jetpack and then terrorizing the Vegas strip.

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Oh, Brother

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

*sigh* she is going to find some note her father John Darling left her, and he is going to call her by his pet name for her, Barbie.

I'm sure going to be relieved when I learn that the father of a tertiary character, who never appeared in this strip because he died before it started, was not cheating on his wife, something that was only introduced as a possibility two days ago.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Looks like Margo's ready to forget she runs another business!

This is is one I'd like to see redrawn, or would even try myself if I had the time. There's just so much there in the dialog that Bolle completely fails to even try to bring into the art. Margo's pissed that Tommie's not around to worship her and has gotten all fired up with her crazy plans to drag her friend home from the country against her will. Lu Ann has seen this all before and doesn't even feign interest or look up from her newspaper (or her phone/tablet if we want to be this century about it). That's funny to me. A3G could be a funny strip if somebody wanted to try. :smith:

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

I bet it's more than one, Ted.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
I have a bad feeling about this one. Besides the usual "Holy poo poo, Nancy is such a bad comic" feeling, I mean. Nothing good can come of a Phil-focused story in Gilchrist's hands.

I'm just saying, if this story ends with Phil becoming a cowboy-hat-wearing country singer who draws cartoons, I will not be surprised. Appalled, horrified, nauseated...but not surprised.

(It would be awesome if he turned into Phil Fumble from the old Fritzi Ritz comics, though. That shrimpy little goggle-eyed anger engine powered by pure jealousy was about five billion times the character Gilchrist's version is.)

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

So Jacko was here to track the car then quickly exit again? Gah.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

In a shocking twist, the bus that goes toward the prom will be back on the other side of the field they just crossed.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Aw, look! Willie felt bad about eating Gordon's food, so he went and made sandwiches!

Never let it be said that Willie Garvin doesn't repay his debts.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Humanoid Female posted:

In a shocking twist, the bus that goes toward the prom will be back on the other side of the field they just crossed.

Isn't that the traffic jam?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
After a hard night of drinking and soul searching, Phil realized he'd been wasting his life, so he's running away from his perfect, sickeningly sweet, diabetes-inducing lifestyle and leaving to become a pimp in Vegas. Fritzi is tied up unconscious in the back of the truck.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Foxtrot does do pretty good nerd service. I can't get some of them though. What's the thing to the right of the rocketship (beneath mario and above the kraken/sea beast?) And what's the thing in the bottom left?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Tender Bender posted:

Foxtrot does do pretty good nerd service. I can't get some of them though. What's the thing to the right of the rocketship (beneath mario and above the kraken/sea beast?) And what's the thing in the bottom left?

If you turn your head, it looks like an astronaut planting a flag about to be attacked by a Xenomorph.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

Tomorrow's Nancy is going to have Phil putting on a jetpack and then terrorizing the Vegas strip.

Oh goddammit, Gilchrist. I let you have Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings, but you keep Tom Petty out of your loving mouth (or Phil's mouth, in this case.)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

I'm glad I'm not the only person who immediately associates that song with GTA (ps laughed like a looney gj).

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Oh, dear. Looks like our Eve is in for some good hard talking with an older man.

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Tender Bender posted:

First one's the Batcave.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I think I'm going to try to work that into my speaking somehow.

Regarding Luann, why are they 40 minutes away from home/prom? I just don't see how that works. I guess if they were going far for dinner, but why would you do that? Wouldn't you pick a place reasonably close? And if they were going like an hour away for dinner, doesn't that mean they would have a good hour or two (give or take) of time where they would have been eating, leaving plenty of time for one of their parents (or friends, for that matter) to come pick them up? Why am I even thinking so much about this? This is stupid. Luann is stupid. They can't even loving walk through a field without absolutely ruining their entire outfits and hair.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"I knew she would come back. Now, to force her to perform rear end-to-rear end with a prostitute."

Rex Morgan MD

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
From the faces to the dialogue I expected this to be edited but it totally isn't.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Seriously Mark Trail You Are Just loving With Me Now

Buz Sawyer

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Little King

The Little King plays golf wherever he drat well pleases.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Monty is great. :allears:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

Looks like Margo's ready to forget she runs another business!

This is is one I'd like to see redrawn, or would even try myself if I had the time. There's just so much there in the dialog that Bolle completely fails to even try to bring into the art. Margo's pissed that Tommie's not around to worship her and has gotten all fired up with her crazy plans to drag her friend home from the country against her will. Lu Ann has seen this all before and doesn't even feign interest or look up from her newspaper (or her phone/tablet if we want to be this century about it). That's funny to me. A3G could be a funny strip if somebody wanted to try. :smith:

It kind of already is, you just have to use your imagination a little bit...

Heathcliff

The Lockhorns

On the Fast Rack

Knowing how most businesses set up their computers, I'd be surprised if they weren't all still using Windows XP and Internet Explorer. There'll be some weird thing they have to use that would utterly break if you tried anything else.

Pluggers

Where would you even get a mobile phone that can't text?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Tiggum posted:

Pluggers

Where would you even get a mobile phone that can't text?

If you're a horrifying chicken woman with arthritis in all your fingers and no handy grandchildren to tell you about the talk functionality in a smartphone?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Tiggum posted:

On the Fast Rack

Knowing how most businesses set up their computers, I'd be surprised if they weren't all still using Windows XP and Internet Explorer. There'll be some weird thing they have to use that would utterly break if you tried anything else.

My company (small retailer under a big corporation) basically sent out a memo saying "We know Microsoft is cutting out XP, but upgrading all our systems would be a pain in the rear end for our IT department so instead we're going to buy a perpetual service contract from Microsoft so they will support XP just for us, forever."

I'd be willing to bet nearly all businesses with corporate components will have an identical service contract.

(Fun fact: Large portions of the memo were in Comic Sans)

Charlie72
Apr 21, 2010

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oooh! That's gotta sting!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

The pun works better in Finnish but I hope this suffices.

It's a stressful time in Fok_It.

In many ways.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tiggum posted:

On the Fast Rack

Evilreaver posted:

My company (small retailer under a big corporation) basically sent out a memo saying "We know Microsoft is cutting out XP, but upgrading all our systems would be a pain in the rear end for our IT department so instead we're going to buy a perpetual service contract from Microsoft so they will support XP just for us, forever."
That's not how it works :negative:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I love the multiple iPlops at the end.. :v:

Plop? You mean "koong", at least according to this blog:

http://blog.korea.net/?p=10770

Though "cheolpuhduck" sounds funnier.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

It's actually pretty cool when you're knee deep in the water with a net and a bucket.

Retail

"Yeah, some of our 75% off Easter chocolate was made in some plant in North Carolina. We tried carrying a Chinese variety but the amount of cockroach legs and rat droppings in those was over the maximum allowed by the FDA."

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Pretty much me when Animal Crossing New Leaf came out.

Dustin

Dustin recently got some new sponsors: the Food and Golf Networks.

Safe Havens

They are, it's just that all the adults in this strip are woefully negligent.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

They are, it's just that all the adults in this strip are woefully negligent.

Where do those trapezes keep coming from :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Where do those trapezes keep coming from :argh:

Trapeze Hut. Or Crazy Larry's Discount Trapeze World.

• Locked thread