Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Front Mission 3 will always have a special place in my heart for having the ability to punch a pilot out of their mech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Also, are there any mech type turn based RPGs?
Vanguard Bandits :downs:

It's a fairly dumb game with sitting-duck AI on par with Civ 5, but I love it anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Vanguard Bandits :downs:

It's a fairly dumb game with sitting-duck AI on par with Civ 5, but I love it anyway.

Vanguard Bandits is pretty goddamn anime-face tho'. Still fun, if with a serious case of undocumented features.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

it's the good kind of anime

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, but I think Working Designs' stupid translation that takes itself seriously maybe a quarter of the time really helps to mitigate that. Plus, it has a fairly low amount of outdated pop culture references for what it is and they're mostly in the stage names ("Chapter 1: Destiny's Child" :v:) and the between-mission morale conversations.

I've always wondered if you can actually get the Crimson excavated ATAC, iirc it has separate stats for player and AI use buried in its code.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I've played one of the front missions (never finished) way back when I was younger. I remember enjoying it but It was a rental at the time and I was poor so I never got around to finishing it.

Thanks for the suggestions

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

Front Mission 3 will always have a special place in my heart for having the ability to punch a pilot out of their mech.

Then ejecting from you mech and stealing theirs while trying to squish them before they could get into your now abandoned mech.

Front Mission 3 also had the elaborate fake internet which I loved. Sprawling, 80 hour plot that diverges on a single choice you make at the beginning of the game leading to two wholly different campaigns? Psh, whatever, reading this fake website.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I reached the end of Trails in the Sky. Thanks for the tip for the ending party, everything went super-smooth. Now I only have to wait for the second chapter to be translated. :negative:

I don't suppose the other The Legend of Heroes games are worth tracking down? The few reviews I've seen weren't exactly enthusiastic about them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Gagharv trilogy is.. well, they're pretty standard RPGs. Their pull is the charm they have, but the English versions have botched-rear end translations curtosy of old Namco, which strips them of anything they had going for them. They also released them out of order, if I remember right.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

dis astranagant posted:

Front Mission 3 was the best game in the series but Japan hated it for trying to innovate.

Going to second this. One of the most fun little SRPGs. Two story lines. Loads of customization. I go back and play it every couple of years.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This might be a dumb question, but is there any legal way to play a console RPG on the PC via an emulator? Like say, I buy a PS RPG on a CD or something, can I install and play if I have a proper emulator?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

CommissarMega posted:

This might be a dumb question, but is there any legal way to play a console RPG on the PC via an emulator? Like say, I buy a PS RPG on a CD or something, can I install and play if I have a proper emulator?

It's kind of a legal grey area, but no one's gonna give you a hard time if you do exactly what you said.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Specifically, if you're using your own archive copy of the game (i.e., you ripped it) and the same for the BIOS/OS files if that system needs them then you're about as much in the clear as you can be, and nobody cares anyway. There's threads on PSP, Wii/GC and PS2 emulation.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Funny I just came in wanting to discuss FM3.

dis astranagant posted:

Front Mission 3 was the best game in the series but Japan hated it for trying to innovate.
Do you consider it a very good game in its own right? I've put in over a dozen hours, and as much as I'm theoretically in love with all the bullet points (Mech SRPG, punch-based vehicle ejections, unit takes overs, heavy customization, navigable in game internet etc.) the core feels superficial.

Chance plays too big a role, imo. In part the game is about manipulating those odds to your advantage, which is fair. For instance, you can't normally target individual parts of a wanzer but your choice of attack gives you some control over the outcome (e.g., single snipe vs. shotgun buckshot). That's on top of regular attack chances, of course. What, for me, pushes the game off balance are the activated abilities. Some of them are just overpowered and they trigger randomly (if you've unlocked them and meet the conditions). The one time I felt I was in a bit of a bind I got two consecutive combos on two units, which transformed a tense situation into a cakewalk. It felt double cheap because I had no control over the Hail Mary activating. I mean, yes, I was fulfilling the right conditions but getting two double combos was very lucky. You can't feasibly incorporate them into a strategy because of how random they are.

But you won't have to anyway, because the game is very easy (what I've played of it). Even without the special abilities the game I think it wouldn't be that challenging. The combos push it into cakewalk territory. The AI isn't very smart, and rarely takes advantage of superiority in numbers as far away units don't usually activate unless you get close enough to them. I've basically steamrolled through every encounter so far, save for a few were the special abilities triggering at the right moments trivialized them.

It's just felt like a very lightweight SRPG all the way through so far. Does it get more demanding? I don't think I have the patience anymore to sink in a large chunk of time just to eventually get the gameplay I want.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Every few months I'll try to play through Front Mission 5 again, but without fail I'll basically stop everything and just play the goddamn roguelike mode for a few days and then stop playing, entirely satisfied. That mode is so much goddamn fun.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Every few months I'll try to play through Front Mission 5 again, but without fail I'll basically stop everything and just play the goddamn roguelike mode for a few days and then stop playing, entirely satisfied. That mode is so much goddamn fun.

That has been my experience as well. I've never beaten FM5 despite my undying love for it. I wish FM3 would get a remake in that engine (or even a modern one). I know it will never happen; the game is so fantastic but it looks so lovely and is so slow comparatively. I've probably played Front Mission 3 through more times than many games I've played put together. It's too bad they gave up on the series but sales are sales I guess.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Since I brought up PC SRPGs the other day, I should mention that I stumbled into what is apparently a little known game called Gorky 17. It's a bit rough around the edges, but it plays decently enough. I couldn't get it running on my desktop, but it ran fine on my laptop. No idea why, they're both pretty good Windows 7 machines and the game is on Steam. Navigating environments is kind of clunky, but the battles are fun.

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, this. I think one of the worst offenders for this is a game called Odium, a tactical survival horror game. You walked around an isometric map, got into pre-determined battles (of which there were a limited amount), tried to conserve bullets and health in your party, etc. They had a system where you got better at a class of weapon the more you used it. Unfortunately, there were only so many battles in the game, and only so many bullets. So you basically had to choose a weapon for each of your guys to get strong in, and if they ever deviated (or ran out of ammo), they'd be useless, with no way to get them back up to speed.

Apparently this is the same game. Well poo poo, I wish I had known that before playing through a bunch of missions and switching weapons between guys. gently caress.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Rinkles posted:

It's just felt like a very lightweight SRPG all the way through so far. Does it get more demanding? I don't think I have the patience anymore to sink in a large chunk of time just to eventually get the gameplay I want.
Nah the game is pretty much very easy from start to finish.

The series is just not very difficult. FM5 is probably the best tuned simply because of stage design and the game using an array of different objectives. Suddenly being forced to aggro every pack as you try to meet the objective makes the fights more interesting and more intense.

People like to say FM2 was the hardest but I thought it was also really easy outside of like 5 fights where the enemy loves to smash a ton of numbers at you in tight packs. Although arguably the most annoying fight in the game is one near the start where you have to restart until the enemy decides to not fire at this puny unit you're trying to protect. Which served as a good reminder to myself that no matter how much people talk up FM2, it's still a game from that era of iffy SRPG stage design.

I need to go back and replay FM4 sometime. I played it once and remember enjoying it, but that's about it. It's the one Front mission that just draws a blank in my memory. I remember two things from it: something about losing evidence 10 times and thinking I was playing a scooby doo simulator, and this one scene where the one dude just fires his cannon or something by accident at the enemies while the team is trying to metal gear solid their way through some territory.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 29, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

http://www.crystalsforlife.ca/

Posted in another thread but a bunch of RPGs are getting speedrun here.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Specifically, if you're using your own archive copy of the game (i.e., you ripped it) and the same for the BIOS/OS files if that system needs them then you're about as much in the clear as you can be, and nobody cares anyway. There's threads on PSP, Wii/GC and PS2 emulation.
Not to mention that you can usually use your actual game disc itself, but in an era when we can just rip them to our computers, why risk scratching it?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Nah the game is pretty much very easy from start to finish.

The series is just not very difficult. FM5 is probably the best tuned simply because of stage design and the game using an array of different objectives. Suddenly being forced to aggro every pack as you try to meet the objective makes the fights more interesting and more intense.

That's a disappointment. I like the pressure of efficiency in SRPGs, that is how you're constantly on alert for any mistakes or inefficient moves you might make - even if you don't actually have to be that perfect to succeed. I never felt that way for long during FM3 because 1) there was little punishment for mistakes, big or small and 2) the range of actions of any individual unit was comparatively limited next to those in most other SRPGs.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rinkles posted:

That's a disappointment. I like the pressure of efficiency in SRPGs, that is how you're constantly on alert for any mistakes or inefficient moves you might make - even if you don't actually have to be that perfect to succeed. I never felt that way for long during FM3 because 1) there was little punishment for mistakes, big or small and 2) the range of actions of any individual unit was comparatively limited next to those in most other SRPGs.

Well, FM5 has additional mechanics --- in particular units can assist each other
(which IIRC draws from the same pool of action points as their own actions), which makes
it somewhat deeper, IMHO, though it's not like it's a NIS game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was only speaking from experience with 3. I know it's fairly different from the rest of the series.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The only SRPGS that have held my interest long enough for me to finish them are FFT and Front Mission 3 (both campaigns). For what it's worth, I thought FM3 was fantastic.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 30, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The SRPG genre in general pretty much gave up on the idea of difficulty years ago with the possible exception of the Fire Emblem series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, I'd say some of Sting's SRPG work can be a decent challenge. Yggdra Union has its moments, though since it's a Sting game a lot of it comes down to figuring out the somewhat obtuse systems the game uses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think Sting's stuff is very challenging so much as insanely obtuse. Once you grasp the systems they're usually pretty simple or breakable, just poorly documented and explained.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Admittedly I'm mostly thinking of the early going of Yggdra Union, where Yggdra is such a massive liability that it's almost hilarious.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

dis astranagant posted:

The SRPG genre in general pretty much gave up on the idea of difficulty years ago with the possible exception of the Fire Emblem series.

The Devil Survivor series can be pretty tough.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

with the possible exception of the Fire Emblem series.

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FE11 and 12 were legitimate challenges on the higher difficulties/reverse mode.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

sword beats axe. thats my 'strat' folks

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I was trying to be nice :v:

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

CommissarMega posted:

I think Court rulings stated that the Commercial PSX emulator Bleem was Legal, but it requires the actual CDs and what not. So theres that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Richey posted:

I think Court rulings stated that the Commercial PSX emulator Bleem was Legal, but it requires the actual CDs and what not. So theres that.

Yeah, they briefly sold Bleem for Dreamcast. But I think you had to get specific copies for specific games. Like you'd have to buy the Grand Tuorismo version to play GT on your Dreamcast, and a different disk to play Parapa the Rapper (or whatever). Surprisingly, it wasn't a huge success.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Speaking of not particularly challenging SRPGs - though still more than FM3 - Square please make a new FFTA with Matsuno involved, thank you very much.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I liked the fake internet in Front Mission 3 :(.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bleusilences posted:

I liked the fake internet in Front Mission 3 :(.

Who didn't? You can even download secret wallpapers!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also you eventually get the most broken Wanzer from doing secret internet stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

Also you eventually get the most broken Wanzer from doing secret internet stuff.

And a Particle Beam! Sure it took gobs of AP to fire but man it was worth it to watch enemy parts just shear off.