Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
You can't enchant an infused weapon, right? You can't put flame weapon on a fire longsword and such?

Edit: Yes you can. Nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Alan Smithee posted:

If you open it you're dead, plain and simple. I don't think there are any monster grab attacks you can escape from by button smashing ala DS

The best part is that they have a lightning-fast grab that does the exact same chomping animation as if you opened it, and same damage too that they like to use. Especially when just awoken. So you can get the drop and STILL get eaten up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Logan 5 posted:

My problem isn't on the way to the smelter demon, my problem is the smelter demon himself (and the turtle guys if I try and skip him). Also it seems like everybody I summon cant even handle getting to the smelter demon, let alone taking him on.

And I'm a pure melee character, I got all my best fire def stuff on, I've learned his moves so I don't get hit with the worst stuff, and I hack away at this guy and it does nothing. Am I missing something here?

No, Smelter is a loving bitch. On the level of Ruins Sentinel for a lot of people I'd say. You still get :smug: people saying they beat him first time but I guarantee you they died to Flexile or something equally pathetic so gently caress those people. DEX build is rough on SD aint gonna lie. Even STR weapons suck on SD.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Artificer posted:

You can't enchant an infused weapon, right? You can't put flame weapon on a fire longsword and such?

You can, and this leads to sick damage. Dark weapons enchanted with Resonant Weapon dish out some serious loving pain.

you can't use resins, though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Alkydere posted:

The best part is that they have a lightning-fast grab that does the exact same chomping animation as if you opened it, and same damage too that they like to use. Especially when just awoken. So you can get the drop and STILL get eaten up.

Yeah best thing to do is stand behind but even then you can get hit by their attack

best thing to do is magic really

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I'm being warned of a trapped chest, here. Do trapped chests still contain items, i.e. I should man the gently caress up and eat the trap?

Eat the trap, it's usually one of two things, poison gas or a crossbow that shoots several bolts in an arc (easy to dodge). Neither is likely to kill you instantly

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Smelter Demon gets his rear end destroyed by any great hammer with whatever they renamed sticky white stuff to applied.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Alan Smithee posted:

Yeah best thing to do is stand behind but even then you can get hit by their attack

best thing to do is magic really

Or if you want to do it a cheap way...

Toxic Mist the drat fucker. He doesn't aggro if he gets hit by toxic mist.

edit: Yes you have to do the contracts in order.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 29, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Alan Smithee posted:

No, Smelter is a loving bitch. On the level of Ruins Sentinel for a lot of people I'd say. You still get :smug: people saying they beat him first time but I guarantee you they died to Flexile or something equally pathetic so gently caress those people. DEX build is rough on SD aint gonna lie. Even STR weapons suck on SD.

Yeah, I keep getting close on SD and then dying. I haven't even beaten him as a helpful ghost-bro. Everything from lag (had an SD just stand there for several minutes while we goofed around, beat on him, and one dude kept throwing out "HELLO." balls. Then suddenly he starts jumping around and loses 3/4 of his HP...and gibs me), dumb luck and stupid hosts. As a dual-wielding/no shield guy I love getting caught between him and the wall when I know he's gonna do the AOE burst.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cheston posted:

Beginning of Doors of Pharros:

that loving chest is going to haunt my dreams :tinfoil:

***the worst part is that I saw the teeth immediately and I TRIED TO ROLL AWAY AND IT SNAPPED ME UP

Hahaha that caught me off guard too.

The worst part was I saw a ton of bloodstains around the chest but completely ignored them since people somehow die EVERYWHERE in this game. I figured the first mimic I saw would have a ton of messages around it. Then as I open the chest I see a bunch of bloodstains right in front and I wonder if maybe it actually is an OH GOD NO :stonk:

Smelter Demon talk; stack all the fire resist you can to negate his flaming aura more or less. Without that its just a straight up melee brawl, and an awesome one too. He took forever to beat but it was really fun doing so. One of my favorite bosses of the game. Frankly he should of been the actual boss of the keep, not the joke you face after him.

He can be glitchy though. Twice he shoved me into the wall and I literally couldn't move. Not because he was blocking me, but because I got stuck in the wall itself somehow. Nothing you can do about that.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 29, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Alan Smithee posted:

Are you wearing the Merchant Traveler Hat (fully upgraded?) Also there's a Gold Covetous Serpeant ring. Must haves for farming items

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Covetous+Gold+Serpent+Ring#.U18-yVdUnv8

Would the same logic for the Merchant hat work with the Jester's Cap?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, think I will tomorrow. Though, it's not like I'm going to actually kill him for power or anything.

Actually, can I skip killing Cale and just give the guy Felkin's staff I bought, or do I have to do the contracts in order?

You don't have to kill any of them, although to do this you'll need to clear the game through the final boss first.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

neetengie posted:

Would the same logic for the Merchant hat work with the Jester's Cap?

Yes. Also get prisoner's tatters off the undead dudes in loincloths you find in various places.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

The worst part was I saw a ton of bloodstains around the chest but completely ignored them since people somehow die EVERYWHERE in this game. I figured the first mimic I saw would have a ton of messages around it. Then as I open the chest I see a bunch of bloodstains right in front and I wonder if maybe it actually is an OH GOD NO :stonk:

I'm surprised that was y'alls first. Pharos is kinda the "last" area of the first four big objectives and I ran into my first in the poison-mill looking for loot above the boss door. There's also two illusory walls, one hiding a secret bonfire, and a Pharos contraption (kinda worthless, just makes a healing pool of water) up there too. The Pharos device in the windmill you really want is on the ground floor, and is best accessed AFTER you lowered the poison. But...suicide runs are good too.

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Cheston posted:

Beginning of Doors of Pharros:

that loving chest is going to haunt my dreams :tinfoil:

***the worst part is that I saw the teeth immediately and I TRIED TO ROLL AWAY AND IT SNAPPED ME UP

First mimic I found, I hit it and was hitting a few more times as it was waking up like in dark souls. It then proceeded to lunge out, grab me, and eat me to death. Holy hell that was scary.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Mimic chat.

My initial PS3 run was almost entirely blind, but I had a friend with more free time, who was well ahead of me in progress. When I got to the Doors of Pharros, I messaged him about how the mimic dropping the Dark Set piece was a nice callback to DaS1. He told me that the entire thing was pretty much a nod to DaS1, and that sadly there was only that one mimic.

I am embarrassed that I believed them, and the next mimic was a moment of sheer terror. :stonk:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Attestant posted:

Mimic chat.

My initial PS3 run was almost entirely blind, but I had a friend with more free time, who was well ahead of me in progress. When I got to the Doors of Pharros, I messaged him about how the mimic dropping the Dark Set piece was a nice callback to DaS1. He told me that the entire thing was pretty much a nod to DaS1, and that sadly there was only that one mimic.

I am embarrassed that I believed them, and the next mimic was a moment of sheer terror. :stonk:

Your friend is a beautiful bastard :darksouls:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Question; I'm looking at armour sets on the wiki and it seems some can only be bought in Majula on NG+. Is there any downside to using ascetics in majula to access those sets early? I can't think of any spawns it would mess with. Maybe those stupid pigs would power up but who cares about that.

I am also dismayed to learn that the one hat I was trying to find has an int requirement my character can't meat so I wouldn't even be able to use it. Too stupid to put a hat on :saddowns:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Attestant posted:

Those 3-4 seconds of OH poo poo when you see the chest you opened has loving teeth but your character doesn't notice and you can't make him stop are the best.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Internet Kraken posted:

Smelter Demon talk; stack all the fire resist you can to negate his flaming aura more or less. Without that its just a straight up melee brawl, and an awesome one too. He took forever to beat but it was really fun doing so. One of my favorite bosses of the game. Frankly he should of been the actual boss of the keep, not the joke you face after him.

He can be glitchy though. Twice he shoved me into the wall and I literally couldn't move. Not because he was blocking me, but because I got stuck in the wall itself somehow. Nothing you can do about that.

Hopefully I don't sound like a smartass, but if you read one of the items for SD, it basically the game saying yeah Iron King was a total pushover. :v: Pretty hilarious explaining why he was so easy.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Internet Kraken posted:

Question; I'm looking at armour sets on the wiki and it seems some can only be bought in Majula on NG+. Is there any downside to using ascetics in majula to access those sets early? I can't think of any spawns it would mess with. Maybe those stupid pigs would power up but who cares about that.

I am also dismayed to learn that the one hat I was trying to find has an int requirement my character can't meat so I wouldn't even be able to use it. Too stupid to put a hat on :saddowns:

Nope.. well..

Do you remember the skeleton in the Mansion? They increase in number with every ascetic you use.

edit: poo poo sorry for the double post.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Internet Kraken posted:

Putting on armor that you don't meet requirements for just lowers the overall defense, you still get the bonus effect/s.
Check the basement of the mansion when you ascetic Majula every time

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, I keep getting close on SD and then dying. I haven't even beaten him as a helpful ghost-bro. Everything from lag (had an SD just stand there for several minutes while we goofed around, beat on him, and one dude kept throwing out "HELLO." balls. Then suddenly he starts jumping around and loses 3/4 of his HP...and gibs me), dumb luck and stupid hosts. As a dual-wielding/no shield guy I love getting caught between him and the wall when I know he's gonna do the AOE burst.

At some point you just gotta nail his attacks down pat. Unfortunately the three strike he does with the fire sword is a killer. All I can really say is make sure you get as much damage on him before he does the fire sword level up. Bring fire resistant gear if you got it (flash sweat pyro, small orange burr, not sure how long water lasts, any armor you got, I used Alonne set, a good fire resist shield like Gyrm if you have the STR which you probably dont. Next best thing is probably like a 70-90 fire shield, dont know which onees though, will keep you alive though)

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Internet Kraken posted:

If you're planning on getting all miracles make sure you kill Licia before going in to NG+. She is arguably the toughest NPC fight in the entire series, and going NG+ and beyond can make her really goddamn hard to beat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's not possible to parry every enemy anymore?
I figured out parry timings and I can parry pretty reliably now but I can't manage to parry an Old Knight. Is it just me who's bad or are they really unparryable?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Those 3-4 seconds of OH poo poo when you see the chest you opened has loving teeth but your character doesn't notice and you can't make him stop are the best.

Ive yelled at my guy for taking so drat long drinking Estus I dont even think he listens to me

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I know the one/two left light is the overall most useful move, but I have a soft spot for the goofy as hell left power attack. Also, the right light attack is really useful for quick strike and move away play.

I'm a little late for the caestus talk, but I wanted to point out that powerstance double caestuses also has the best rolling uppercut thing ever. Seriously, I want to yell fighting game attack names every time I do it. RORRING UPPAH

also, mimics

The metal mimic in Iron Keep was the first one to actually get me. I had mimic paranoia the whole drat game because of DS1, so I was giving every chest ever a good bare handed smack just to be sure. I never, never in my wildest dreams thought a metal chest was going to betray me. I trusted you, metal chest.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
After being summoned by this dude, I realized I have been playing wrong the whole time.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Axel Serenity posted:

After being summoned by this dude, I realized I have been playing wrong the whole time.

Could very well be the goon who posted in this thread

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Oh, also!

Look for clasps. Wooden mimics will have a single, weird clasp on the front keeping the chest shut. Metal mimics will have two silvery clasps. Normal chests don't have clasps at all.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Jack Trades posted:

It's not possible to parry every enemy anymore?
I figured out parry timings and I can parry pretty reliably now but I can't manage to parry an Old Knight. Is it just me who's bad or are they really unparryable?

Nah those are unparrayable. I think the general rule for what you can and can't parry is if it's double your size, nope.

Another tell for Mimics.

You can tell a mimic because of the teeth. If you move the camera a bit, you can see their teeth.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

Could very well be the goon who posted in this thread

It would legitimately make my day knowing I'm broing it up with random Goons since I've been spending the grand majority of the game summoning and being summoned.

Also, this thread is loving crazy fast. But, considering there were 44k players on Steam earlier, I guess it's not surprising. I don't think I've ever seen a game with more than, like, 5k on at once that wasn't DOTA or TF2. :stare:

e: As an aside, any Twitch streamers know why the Game sound feed goes quiet after summons? I've been having problems with my mic being too soft but then all of a sudden there's no game sound and only my voice. And no one wants that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Parrying in PVP can be pretty effective since nobody ever bothers. I don't, and it gets me half the time people bother to use it

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
Strangely, I've heard Pursuer is parryable, despite his... err, girth.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
So I was curious why I wasn't ranking up in the Brotherhood of Blood.

quote:

Red Sign Soapstone duels do NOT count towards your covenant rank
why

But seriously I might just give up on ranking up this covenant.

quote:

In addition, losses work against your kill count according to the Official Guide and tests by players.
Seriously, why

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Nah those are unparrayable. I think the general rule for what you can and can't parry is if it's double your size, nope.

Holy poo poo, that's retarded. There doesn't seem to be any reason to play a DEX for PvE anymore. It was already a weakest and most difficult build to play in DS1 and now they nerfed it completely into the ground.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Axel Serenity posted:

It would legitimately make my day knowing I'm broing it up with random Goons since I've been spending the grand majority of the game summoning and being summoned.

Also, this thread is loving crazy fast. But, considering there were 44k players on Steam earlier, I guess it's not surprising. I don't think I've ever seen a game with more than, like, 5k on at once that wasn't DOTA or TF2. :stare:

Yeah, a part of me wishes there was some infrastructure to have clan battles, but that would mean "casualizing" pvp or some poo poo. There are times I wish there were full scale battles and territory control though

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Strangely, I've heard Pursuer is parryable, despite his... err, girth.

Yeah surprised me he's parrayable and he's probably the only boss worth parrying.

Everyone else brushes it off like it ain't poo poo.

Goddamn Lost Sinner. :argh:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm doing a Cleric build, STR and magics. If you wanna melee I would say STR though having low DEX shuts me out of some admittedly good weapons. Nothing you can't live without, and I wouldn't recommend most DEX weapons for PVP anyway. Or PVE for that matter. Old Whip is a DEX weapon good for PVE but not PVP, swords are kinda meh without infusion

It's worth it to at least grab 12 dex for the Throne Watcher Greatsword, its actually an amazing faith weapon when its infused. It also casts sunlight blade on itself as a special for 10 durability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So I just made it through the Gutters. As bullshit and boringly linear it was, I enjoyed the fact that for the first time in the game I actually felt like I needed to utilize the torch.

I just hit the first bonfire in Black Gultch, and every message I've come across is "despair." How bad a reaming am I in for? :ohdear: