Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Internet Kraken posted:

Hahaha that caught me off guard too.

The worst part was I saw a ton of bloodstains around the chest but completely ignored them since people somehow die EVERYWHERE in this game. I figured the first mimic I saw would have a ton of messages around it. Then as I open the chest I see a bunch of bloodstains right in front and I wonder if maybe it actually is an OH GOD NO :stonk:

What's evil is that it actually does usually have a ton of messages, but since there's ankle high water you can't see them until you walk over them :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Jack Trades posted:

Holy poo poo, that's retarded. There doesn't seem to be any reason to play a DEX for PvE anymore. It was already a weakest and most difficult build to play in DS1 and now they nerfed it completely into the ground.

Only feasible DEX weapon is the Ricards Rapier but goddamn does the durablity go down hella quick if you use the R2 button.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just had the best bellbro kill. I got summoned to Luna. The gate was still up so I went up the ladder to wait for the host. When he got to the top of the ladder he saw me and immediately slid back down. So I did a plunging attack and took off 90% of his health with my +10 Large Club.

(the other 10% came from the exploding barrels right next to the ladder)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So what's the go to allotment for stat points on a Hexer? 30/30, Simpleton's Spice on Affinity, dump the rest in Attunement?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jack Trades posted:

Holy poo poo, that's retarded. There doesn't seem to be any reason to play a DEX for PvE anymore. It was already a weakest and most difficult build to play in DS1 and now they nerfed it completely into the ground.

Well you always have the reason of wanting to use a weapon that scales off DEX. Not an optimal one but DEX still has a lot of fun weapons.

Parrying in this game is definitely a lot less useful than it was in DS 1 though. I love to parry enemies and try to do it a lot, but even I have to admit to myself that it isn't usually a good idea. It carries a high risk and usually your better off just being aggressive. Its not completely useless though. Parrying is always useful when you have limited space to work with versus tanky enemies, and Pursuer gets wrecked when you parry him. However, most of the time your better off not even trying unless you're some kind of parry savant.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Strangely, I've heard Pursuer is parryable, despite his... err, girth.

He is, and is actually quite easy to beat if you can parry him. Plus parrying him is basically the only way your ever gonna nail him with the ballista in a solo game.

VVV There are plenty of enemies you can parry still. In fact I'd say there are just as many as there were in Dark Souls. Like I said, parrying isn't worthless it just is rarely an optimal strategy no matter how good you are at it compared to forward aggression.

As a comparison, I don't think you could parry the stone knights in Dark Souls and they are basically the same as the old knights in DS2.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 29, 2014

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Well you always have the reason of wanting to use a weapon that scales off DEX. Not an optimal one but DEX still has a lot of fun weapons.

Parrying in this game is definitely a lot less useful than it was in DS 1 though. I love to parry enemies and try to do it a lot, but even I have to admit to myself that it isn't usually a good idea. It carries a high risk and usually your better off just being aggressive. Its not completely useless though. Parrying is always useful when you have limited space to work with versus tanky enemies, and Pursuer gets wrecked when you parry him. However, most of the time your better off not even trying unless you're some kind of parry savant.

Seriously though, did PvE Dex really needed this gigantic nerf?
In DS1 it was already high skill/low reward build but now they not only made parry harder to do and near impossible with most weapons, riposte's taking longer time to do, general damage lower, roll invincibility frame and speed nerf but they made most enemies completely immune to Dex builds main method of defense and offense!

I'm totally fine with most of those nerfs, hard to play build is even harder, whatever, it's Dark Souls. But why can't I parry or at least partial-parry more than 50% of all enemies? That's not difficult, that's just punishing.

EDIT: I really wanted to bash my head against the new-parry-mechanics wall for a while to get an advantage over many players who decided to ignore parry because it's really hard now but now I see that there's no point at all.
I might as well finish the game with a viable character and then just respec to Dex for PvP.
That's loving retarded.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 29, 2014

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Sydin posted:

So I just made it through the Gutters. As bullshit and boringly linear it was, I enjoyed the fact that for the first time in the game I actually felt like I needed to utilize the torch.

I just hit the first bonfire in Black Gultch, and every message I've come across is "despair." How bad a reaming am I in for? :ohdear:

Black Gultch is a very short linear trek, just irritating as hell if you're farming/grabbing chests.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is covenant progress saved between NG/NG+/etc?

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

Captain Oblivious posted:

So what's the go to allotment for stat points on a Hexer? 30/30, Simpleton's Spice on Affinity, dump the rest in Attunement?

You can't use that much spice on a single spell. Affinity isn't great anyway.

If anything, you really only need Dark Fog (maybe), Great Resonant Soul, Resonant Soul, and Resonant Weapon to do a lot of damage, and all of those fit nicely in the 30/30 range. The only high stat hex that is actually useful 90% of the time is Lifedrain Patch, which needs 20 int and 35 faith.

Affinity is just too slow, easy to avoid, and requires too much stat investment to actually get good (60 Int to get all five orbs, or 50 Int to get four).

But yes, you're gonna need a lot of attunment, so if you're going to NG+ for PvP, get the Southern Ritual Band +2 ASAP, and have like 25 attunement at least.

DrGreatJob fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 29, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sydin posted:

So I just made it through the Gutters. As bullshit and boringly linear it was, I enjoyed the fact that for the first time in the game I actually felt like I needed to utilize the torch.

I just hit the first bonfire in Black Gultch, and every message I've come across is "despair." How bad a reaming am I in for? :ohdear:

Drakes posted:

Black Gultch is a very short linear trek, just irritating as hell if you're farming/grabbing chests.

Black Gultch is thankfully hilariously short. Just a straight walk, or run, to the boss door in an area that's tiny compared to even Majula.

Getting from point A to B is the irritating issue. The Gutter was the difficult but potentially fun parts of Blight Town. Black Gultch is the worst parts, concentrated and amplified.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Elysiume posted:

Is covenant progress saved between NG/NG+/etc?

Pretty sure it is because I went to the Dark Pilgrim convenant on NG+ and it still said I was rank 3.

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012

Jose posted:

Can anyone give me advice on how to build a mage? I know I need lots of int and atn but not really sure how else I build my character. Will I need to level dex/str for melee weapons/shields ever? What about end/vgr/vit?

I am currently running cleric as a melee caster hybrid. The mace can carry most of the game.

stats are at VGR 30 END 20 VIT 8 ATN 25 STR 12 DEX 5 ADP 4 INT 39 FTH 23.

I did INT/FTH evenly to 20 first with sprinkles of VGR, got ATN as I wanted to open spell slots. I think I opened 3 and ran heal/resonate soul till I gained better spells. I raised INT last.

I am almost done bellbroing currently running Great Heal, Dark Fog, Resonate Weapon, Soul Greatsword, Soul Spear, and Soul Vortex. Dark Mace +10 and Black Witch Staff+10 infused to magic. You can leave it normal if you want to use more dark spells. Get a Batstaff for Dark Fog. Armor is for Fasion Souls, but I use a hexer hood since it gives +1 INT/FTH. I think I used spices on great heal, and maybe Crystal Homing Mass. Soul Vortex and Soul Spear get swapped out between Crystal Homing Mass and the Resonate Souls. I want to try out Afinty and Maybe Darkstorm but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Burn a bonfire upgrade thingy, at skeleton lords for the casting speed ring +2, and scorpian naswhatever for the atunement slot ring +2 (gives 3 slots). I also did chariot for the stam regen+2 ring, and use Third Dragon Ring as the last. This gets swapped between bellbro ring and life protection depending on pve or pvp or whatever.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I just beat lost sinner, I didn't have that much trouble with him but I'm probably pretty over-levelled for him (also killed The Rotten today without much hassle except for the loving poison ninja loving statues).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ignimbrite posted:

I just beat lost sinner, I didn't have that much trouble with him but I'm probably pretty over-levelled for him (also killed The Rotten today without much hassle except for the loving poison ninja loving statues).

Nah, it's not you, those two are mostly chumps.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Man, it was really easy to hit 1m soul memory if you grind trying to get the armor sets :|

I only have half the great souls too

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Man, it was really easy to hit 1m soul memory if you grind trying to get the armor sets :|

I only have half the great souls too

I'm around 900k and the only old soul I have is the Lost Sinner. I'm not really sure I like soul memory as a concept, but I guess it works to stop invading twinks, so whatever. :shrug:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Which gauntlets/gloves give bonuses to unarmed attacks? Finally got myself a Vanquisher's Seal :getin:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sydin posted:

:smithicide:

I'm just gonna tell you straight up there's a bonfire on the other side before the fog wall, make it your priority to find it

you have to enter from the cliff edge where it meets the cave wall

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 29, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Alan Smithee posted:

:smithicide:

I'm just gonna tell you straight up there's a bonfire on the other side before the fog wall, make it your priority to find it
I carefully killed every enemy and destroyed every poison statue (a handful I used throwing knives) because I thought Lucatiel's sigil was at the first bonfire and I wanted to make sure she got to the gate at full health. That was a bit of a waste of time.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Elysiume posted:

I carefully killed every enemy and destroyed every poison statue (a handful I used throwing knives) because I thought Lucatiel's sigil was at the first bonfire and I wanted to make sure she got to the gate at full health. That was a bit of a waste of time.

That's fine if you can get to the 2nd bonfire on your first run or kill The Rotten right away, otherwise it's making beds in a burning building

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm around 900k and the only old soul I have is the Lost Sinner. I'm not really sure I like soul memory as a concept, but I guess it works to stop invading twinks, so whatever. :shrug:

at 500sm heide was hopping while i was grinding for the sets

still didn't get that fuckin legs tho.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Jack Trades posted:

Here's how you play a dex build:

Dual wield.

No, seriously. One dex weapon's damage is really lovely. They're usually slash weapons and have low damage and dex weapons have poor scaling. But you know what they have on average?? Really good power stance attacks. Dual-wielding rapiers is equivalent to a big fuckoff strength club at half the weight and twice the speed.

Yes, you're giving up a shield and that sucks. Unfortunately, this is the only way to make dex builds really work, so you'll have to get over it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I love being a Blue Sentinel. The other day I was dicking around in the beginning of Giant's forest, and I got summoned almost on top of the red guy who was getting ready to meanace my little 'bro as he got to the top of the ladder by the white knight. Dude had a greatsword and I started sorcery kiting him around the area, throwing infinite missiles into his face. Meanwhile the guy I was summoned to save just casually walks past us and continues on with the level as if we weren't even there. I basically turned an invasion into background scenery.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

What. DS1 dex fighters were great. I never bothered to parry (except when showing off for friends) but still wrecked faces just fine with Balder Side Sword/Scythe/Great Scythe.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Given how quickly I scythed through the huntsman Copse I as beginning to think that I had become OP for the game, until I hit the harvest valley and suddenly GIANT ONE HIT KILL OGRES EVERYWHERE HOLY poo poo AM I EVEN SUPPOSED TO FIGHT THESE FUCKS?!, also, apparently somebody told me that there's a whole other area I missed while passing through the huntsmans copse so I'll go see what I find there.

Where can I find some twinkling titanite? I've had this man bitchin' drangelic sword/armour/shield combo since forever and I'm dying to upgrade them since by far they're the best thing I have.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Playing as a sorcerer, do I throw everything into int aside for some bare minimum to wear a shield and have a backup weapon?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Given how quickly I scythed through the huntsman Copse I as beginning to think that I had become OP for the game, until I hit the harvest valley and suddenly GIANT ONE HIT KILL OGRES EVERYWHERE HOLY poo poo AM I EVEN SUPPOSED TO FIGHT THESE FUCKS?!, also, apparently somebody told me that there's a whole other area I missed while passing through the huntsmans copse so I'll go see what I find there.

Get the high ground for those dudes and shoot down with a bow/magic. There's only two that are really in the way. The one before you can run past while he takes an eternity to wind up, the ones afterwards ignore you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Here's how you play a dex build:

That's not the problem. I get how you're supposed to play DEX builds in DS2.
Get weapon(s) with highest burst damage, get in, spam attack, roll, spam attack, repeat.
The problem is that it's just as boring as playing any STR build. There's no finesse.

In DS1 you could play DEX the same way, sure, but it was also viable to be fancy by learning how to parry every enemy and that would give you a big advantage. High skill, high reward.
You could even parry those rear end in a top hat archers in Anor Londo is you were a baws.

DS2 made parry mechanics more complex (and fun if you ask me) but at the same time, too many enemies completely ignore parries and backstabs so it ends up not being a viable playstyle. You could play that way but there's no reward anymore.

Same with STR builds, thought not as severe. The new "kick" is only useful on a fraction of enemies that have shield, the effect on everything else is so minor that you might just ignore it.
In DS1 a simple move like that spiced things up a bit when fighting against normal enemies.

All this crap together with technical issues that they promised to fix but that are still loving there (You said "Any supported resolution"! Why the gently caress is it locked at 16:9 aspect ratio?!) really makes me want to just give up on this game.

EDIT: I'm sorry for these rants but it really pisses me off how From lied about technical details and at5 the same time hosed up the game in a way that made it so much more stale than the original.
I can ignore one thing (DS1 was a disaster of a port but I loved the poo poo out of it because the gameplay was great) but not both.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 29, 2014

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Is there any easy way to guarantee I can summon my friend or vise versa? Seems that we get picked up by some other dudes REALLY quickly but cant ever see each other's signs

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Verviticus posted:

Is there any easy way to guarantee I can summon my friend or vise versa? Seems that we get picked up by some other dudes REALLY quickly but cant ever see each other's signs

Name-Engraved Ring, sold by the cat in Majula.
Equip it, pick the same god, make sure you're within each others SM levels (+/-25% of the other player) and you'll see each other every time.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

In DS1 you could play DEX the same way, sure, but it was also viable to be fancy by learning how to parry every enemy and that would give you a big advantage. High skill, high reward.
You could even parry those rear end in a top hat archers in Anor Londo is you were a baws.

That applies to STR builds too, you know. You could go the easy way and just flatten everything with an ultra greatsword of some kind, but it's a hell lot more fun to see people barehand parry Gwyn and 1 hit him with a Demon Greataxe. :v:

Verviticus posted:

Try putting your summon signs at out of the way, but safe locations. Safe because you don't want people panic summoning you in the middle of a fight.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Jack Trades posted:

DS2 made parry mechanics more complex (and fun if you ask me) but at the same time, too many enemies completely ignore parries and backstabs so it ends up not being a viable playstyle. You could play that way but there's no reward anymore.

I'm going to go ahead and say you're both misremembering how many enemies in Dark Souls 1 that you could parry and backstab and you're being misinformed about how many enemies you can parry and backstab in 2 because the people telling you just haven't succeeded in doing so.

You can parry and backstab any enemy in the game that's roughly your size and not explicitly a beast, just like in 1. Just like in 1, this is a slight majority of enemies in the game. Unlike in 1, you can also parry a fair number of bosses, instead of just one.

Enemies that are over twice your height? Probably can't parry them. This was true in 1 as well, with one specific exception (you can parry the berenike knights, but hey, you can't riposte them so it doesn't do much.)

You could never make "doing nothing but critical attacks" into a viable playstyle any of the three Souls games.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Bell dude PVP isn't so bad. I seem to flit between being awesome and getting my poo poo kicked in by anyone with lightning. hopefully the farm to 100 kills isn't as dull as it sounds. So far its usually pretty short between invades.

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.
I love using guardbreak on people who don't realize that it's 'a thing' yet and think they can just block everything. :smug:

It definitely has fewer uses in PvE than parrying did in DaS1 though.

All in all I'm kinda sad that bellfry invasions seem to be slowing down for me because of SM, I've had an absolute blast running around like an asshat while wearing the butterfly outfit and knocking invaders teeth out with dual caestuses.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Same with STR builds, thought not as severe. The new "kick" is only useful on a fraction of enemies that have shield, the effect on everything else is so minor that you might just ignore it.
In DS1 a simple move like that spiced things up a bit when fighting against normal enemies.

But you could only parry like 7(?) enemy types in dark souls 1; and the kick is only practically useful against shields. The guard break is basically a more effective kick that has its own critical animation. It isn't nearly as silly as the kick though, I'll give you that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My gamepad's right analog stick isn't being recognized for camera control, instead it treats it like strong/weak attack. So I can't control the camera with my gamepad. Is there a way to fix this that anyone knows of?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Mighty Dicktron posted:

You can parry and backstab any enemy in the game that's roughly your size and not explicitly a beast, just like in 1. Just like in 1, this is a slight majority of enemies in the game. Unlike in 1, you can also parry a fair number of bosses, instead of just one.

Can you parry the Lion Guards in Shaded Ruins? I first assumed they were supposed to be the "Can you parry check?" of this game, similarly to the Silver Knights in Dark Souls 1. Just running past them or rolling in front then doing a backstab worked good enough as well, though.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Randler posted:

Can you parry the Lion Guards in Shaded Ruins? I first assumed they were supposed to be the "Can you parry check?" of this game, similarly to the Silver Knights in Dark Souls 1. Just running past them or rolling in front then doing a backstab worked good enough as well, though.

I... actually don't know. I would assume you can, because most enemies you can backstab you can parry and riposte as well. But their attack timing is super weird and I've never managed it.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Also it's worth noting that parries and backstabs have always have been pretty Dex/Str neutral. For every high critical damage dagger there is a big rear end hammer that criticals for just as much due to high base damage. And weapon speed has never mattered with either.

DaS2 dex weapons being a bit iffy has nothing to do with nerfed parries or backstabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Enemies that are over twice your height? Probably can't parry them. This was true in 1 as well, with one specific exception (you can parry the berenike knights, but hey, you can't riposte them so it doesn't do much.)

You could never make "doing nothing but critical attacks" into a viable playstyle any of the three Souls games.

You could parry anything in DS1. You couldn't riposte or backstab a whole bunch of things but you could parry any attack of any enemy with exception of grabs since DS1 had a partial parry mechanic.
DS2 doesn't.

Also I'm pretty sure that more than half of all enemies in any DS1 area were either riposte-able or backstab-able, if I'm not mistaken. It didn't have a whole area filled exclusively with un-riposte-able and un-backstab-able enemies.

EDIT: I double checked that.
Almost all DS1 locations had primarily riposte-able or backstab-able enemies with exception of:
Quelaag's Domain
Ash Lake
Crystal Cave
Valley of the Drakes
New Londo Ruins

First 4 of these were really brief and barely contained any enemies.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 29, 2014