Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Darth TNT posted:

How the heck is Mario Kart 67Mb to download from the Eshop? The rom on the internet barely clears 1mb and the emulator needed is like 3 mb (last I checked ages ago).

I bought Ducktales when it was on sale recently. God that game is gorgeous and playing on the tablet is great, but is it me or is it hard.

Has anyone here tried out the GBA Virtual Console? Does it work well? My misses wants to buy either Mario Kart, Yoshi island or Amazing mirror but I have no idea how well it works. (I also don't want to buy Amazing mirror since it doesn't have the godly multiplayer)
Almost all games from the same era as Ducktales were unforgiving and difficult. GBA VC versions of WarioWare and Advance Wars are both fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Seaniccus posted:

He might mean hyrule warriors?

I don't think that counts though.

Nah, probably not. That said, Miyamoto claimed that Zelda U was ready to show last E3 - personally, I think we'll see a 2015 release.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

deafmute posted:

Almost all games from the same era as Ducktales were unforgiving and difficult. GBA VC versions of WarioWare and Advance Wars are both fantastic.
I remember finishing Ducktales 2 on my NES fairly easily. I expected the game to be like that in difficulty, but it's probably more difficult. :) Don't see this as complaining, I love to be challenged again. :getin:

Good to hear the GBA VC works well, thanks for the responses.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Ultigonio posted:

Nah, probably not. That said, Miyamoto claimed that Zelda U was ready to show last E3 - personally, I think we'll see a 2015 release.
Wasn't that Aonuma who said that, not Miyamoto? Anyway when I mentioned it earlier all I got were some snarky responses along the lines of "don't you mean Hyrule Warriors, heh :smug: because Zelda U is never coming out :colbert:" But that might have been in the other Wii U thread, I don't remember. Anyway I think it's going to be a 2015 release too, more specifically that it's going to be their big title for the holiday season 2015, but that's just me and based on absolutely nothing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

FPzero posted:

So this popped up on Nintendo's UK Twitter account.

Better than Cranky's memes by far.

I never really looked closely at Samus's sprite, and now that I have I can't stop seeing the face in the visor, like Samus looks perpetually happy or something.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Darth TNT posted:

I bought Ducktales when it was on sale recently. God that game is gorgeous and playing on the tablet is great, but is it me or is it hard.

I found Ducktales Remastered pretty easy except for the last level, but I don't mind because the game is gorgeous, it's fully voice acted by the original cast, and just as a huge Disney fan it was a joy to play. And it's a solid platformer.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Macaluso posted:

I found Ducktales Remastered pretty easy except for the last level, but I don't mind because the game is gorgeous, it's fully voice acted by the original cast, and just as a huge Disney fan it was a joy to play. And it's a solid platformer.

It depends on what difficulty you play it on, really. That's the beauty of it. On easy you get and extra hit and even when you get game over you pick up where you left off, on normal you get kicked the gently caress out of the level if you get game over, and it continues to ramp up from there. On easy the game is really really easy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

deafmute posted:

Almost all games from the same era as Ducktales were unforgiving and difficult.

What? Ducktails is easy! It's one of the easiest NES platformers and the remake isn't much more difficult. You guys need to toughen up.

Edit: vvvv Blaster Master is also easy!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ducktales wasn't too bad difficulty wise. It was no Goonies 2 or Blaster Master.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

E3 related promo video thing

Looks like it is a direct instead of a conference again, or something like it. Which really, i'm okay with. Whether it's a live conference or a E3 Direct, it's still just a stream at dinner time locally. And a Direct does remove the chances of unexpected poo poo like peoples phones or whatever caused it souring the Skyward Sword reveal a few years back.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Y'know, they wouldn't have to work so hard to go viral if they'd just announce a few games every now and again.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crawfish posted:

Looks like it is a direct instead of a conference again, or something like it. Which really, i'm okay with. Whether it's a live conference or a E3 Direct, it's still just a stream at dinner time locally. And a Direct does remove the chances of unexpected poo poo like peoples phones or whatever caused it souring the Skyward Sword reveal a few years back.

Phones don't give off enough heat. It was most likely the stage lights.

I'm always of two minds on this. On the one hand, ditching the giant stage production is a good thing for a company; it's costly, ineffective, and a distraction from the actual business that they're at E3 to do. On the other, they're hilariously awful and provide me with a ton of unintentional entertainment.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It's not announcing them that's the problem, as much as releasing them are.

I'm still hoping they have more to bring to the table than Bayo 2, SMT X FE, Yarn Yoshi, Hyrule Warriors and maybe the new Zelda, possibly?

Random Stranger posted:

On the other, they're hilariously awful and provide me with a ton of unintentional entertainment.
Nintendo's weren't really that bad as of recent, more painfully average if anything. Microsoft will likely continue their hilariously terrible streak they've had going since the Kinnect was revealed, but probably won't top last year.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 29, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Okay, this I can get behind:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/461136644276375552

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The Smash Bros. invitational sounds cool. :shrug:

Eh, either way, I hope whatever they announce isn't completely underwhelming, though last year's announcements were pretty good.

EDIT:

Random Stranger posted:

I'm always of two minds on this. On the one hand, ditching the giant stage production is a good thing for a company; it's costly, ineffective, and a distraction from the actual business that they're at E3 to do. On the other, they're hilariously awful and provide me with a ton of unintentional entertainment.

Agreed. People kept losing their poo poo last year that they didn't have a live conference, and honestly the only difference between that and a Direct is that one has a live studio-audience, the direct doesn't. It's still occurring during E3 and the same 'journalists' will be able to see stuff at their booth or whatever. So it's not as if any announcements go under the radar.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 29, 2014

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

This whole video is pure magic. :allears:

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Yeah as much as I love the awkward live on-stage things and all the mishaps that can happen, I really think I'd rather just watch a Direct than an E3 presentation.

Also that video was great. EDIT: Whoa hold on, no Urban Champion 2? Nintendoomed

MykonosFan fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 29, 2014

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Treehouse is livestreaming the entire E3 as well, so that'll be good for some background noise.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Is Nintendo actually making fun of a lovely old game? Did they overhaul marketing?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Is Nintendo actually making fun of a lovely old game? Did they overhaul marketing?

In a perfect world, they are actually listening to the guys at Mega 64 as well as hiring them to make videos.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Crawfish posted:

This video was pretty fuckin funny I'm not gonna lie. Reggie coming face to face with the Reggie-bot and going "Sweet I'm gonna go home" was hilarious

So wait Smash Bros is gonna be in Best Buy demos during E3? :psyduck: I didn't care enough to go to Best Buy for Mario Kart demos but goddamn do I love Smash Bros

edit: Also can I just say how happy it makes me seeing big name companies start to do stuff with these youtube personalities? I thought it was really cool for example when the Game Grumps, Jesse Cox, Totalbiscuit, Dodger and uh... the other... guys did that thing for Pacific Rim. Polaris Network shows, Mega64, Giantbomb, HAWP, etc these are all things I watch more than actual loving TV so it's good to see companies really starting to notice and include them in their marketing.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 29, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Random Stranger posted:

Phones don't give off enough heat. It was most likely the stage lights.

Sorry but if you didn't think that Nonspecific Action Figure video was bad on purpose I don't know what to tell you

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

MykonosFan posted:

Yeah as much as I love the awkward live on-stage things and all the mishaps that can happen, I really think I'd rather just watch a Direct than an E3 presentation.

Also that video was great. EDIT: Whoa hold on, no Urban Champion 2? Nintendoomed

Besides, there's no way to recreate that Tomodachi Life in a live presentation.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
By calling it a 'Digital Event" and not a direct I get the feeling the presentation is going to be a little more focused and professional, and less goofy than a typical Nintendo direct.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Are there any rumors about price cuts for the WiiU? I think I am gonna get one, but I dont want to right now on the chance that they announce a price cut at E3, since its so close. I guess there is no way to know for sure until it actually happens but what do we think the odds are?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good stuff Rocco

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Are there any rumors about price cuts for the WiiU? I think I am gonna get one, but I dont want to right now on the chance that they announce a price cut at E3, since its so close. I guess there is no way to know for sure until it actually happens but what do we think the odds are?

Extremely low, since they are already selling it below cost

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bef posted:

Good stuff Rocco

Shame he won't be able to post in the thread again for another month.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So Child of Light is pretty rad. I'm only about an hour in, but it's really pretty and kinda challenging on hard mode. It's a pretty basic RPG, but it's got a couple wrinkles like a totally-not-ATB meter down at the bottom, and if you do an attack on an enemy that hasn't finished charging it, you can interrupt them and they won't be able to do whatever it is they were doing, and your firefly buddy can slow down one enemy at a time so you can combine the two mechanics to manipulate who gets to attack and when. Music's kinda eh, it's pretty generic JRPG stuff so far, and I'm not sure how to feel about doing all the dialogue in poem form because it leads to some really weird word choice and sentence structure.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Extremely low, since they are already selling it below cost

well poo poo. fair enough

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

well poo poo. fair enough

It might be worth checking around though. I want to say Sears was doing clearance on their Wii U consoles a couple of weeks back. Sams did the same thing as well last fall at certain locations. I'm not sure if there is anything like that going on now, but its worth looking into.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Zack_Gochuck posted:

It depends on what difficulty you play it on, really. That's the beauty of it. On easy you get and extra hit and even when you get game over you pick up where you left off, on normal you get kicked the gently caress out of the level if you get game over, and it continues to ramp up from there. On easy the game is really really easy.

I'm playing on normal. I was mostly surprised at that the game isn't a Kirby cakewalk. I sat down for it today and finished two levels. :) It's great fun and seeing all the characters again (even if I don't know these voices) is just great fun.

Artix posted:

So Child of Light is pretty rad. I'm only about an hour in, but it's really pretty and kinda challenging on hard mode. It's a pretty basic RPG, but it's got a couple wrinkles like a totally-not-ATB meter down at the bottom, and if you do an attack on an enemy that hasn't finished charging it, you can interrupt them and they won't be able to do whatever it is they were doing, and your firefly buddy can slow down one enemy at a time so you can combine the two mechanics to manipulate who gets to attack and when. Music's kinda eh, it's pretty generic JRPG stuff so far, and I'm not sure how to feel about doing all the dialogue in poem form because it leads to some really weird word choice and sentence structure.

Does it look as gorgeous in game as it does in the trailers?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Anyone have one of these? Pretty decent or total piece of crap? I like the button layout a little better than the official one and it's like 1/3 the price, I'd like to have a good traditional controller for Mario Kart/ Smash Bros.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

robot roll call posted:

Anyone have one of these? Pretty decent or total piece of crap? I like the button layout a little better than the official one and it's like 1/3 the price, I'd like to have a good traditional controller for Mario Kart/ Smash Bros.

They're ok for the price but I found the buttons to be stiff and not quite as responsive as a Pro Controller.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
For those of you who are playing Child of Light, what percentage RPG is it compared to platformer? I was all about it when I saw the first trailer and it looked like a nicely stylized RPG, but then the most recent trailer didn't show any RPG elements at all and it looked mostly like a platformer which I am less interested in.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

katkillad2 posted:

For those of you who are playing Child of Light, what percentage RPG is it compared to platformer? I was all about it when I saw the first trailer and it looked like a nicely stylized RPG, but then the most recent trailer didn't show any RPG elements at all and it looked mostly like a platformer which I am less interested in.

You platform to get around, but all battles are done in a separate, turn-based system. I'm not too far in, but so far the platforming has been very easy.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
There's not really much "platforming" in the traditional sense after the first half hour since you get the ability to fly around the overworld after that. There's some stuff to dodge here and there while you're flying around and there's some puzzles to solve sometimes but it's mostly just flying between battles and story beats.

The game is super pretty and charming but I'd recommend anyone with a decent amount of JRPG experience play on Hard since Normal is really easy.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Started playing NES Remix 2 and it's fun but I am already getting irritated at the Dr. Mario levels.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is it just me or is it a LOT easier to 3-star or even Rainbow-star levels in NES Remix 2? I've gotten gold or rainbow borders on every individual game I've played through (waiting for the 2x on some), and only the later Remix and Bonus stages are giving me much trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Even with the video replays to see what you were doing wrong, it is FAR more lenient on times than the original. I've been playing 2 and then going back to the original to try and grab the last three stamps and the room for error is FAR harsher in the original than the sequel.

Like, stuff like Super Mario Bros. and Excitebike demand you to be pretty much perfect to rainbow rank, while most stuff in 2 just needs you to do it the right way. I think Lost Levels last few challenges were the only thing that demanded anywhere as much perfect play to rainbow rank it.

• Locked thread