Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I took a trip out to LA last weekend, and decided to go check out The Snake in my rental car.

I figured all I would see are stuntas, and I wasn't disappointed.

Then I asked someone nearby if any /real/ exotics had been by. Not 5 minutes later, this rolled up.

(Click to embiggen)

By far, one of the most beautiful, awesome cars I've seen in person. And Jay was very friendly, so that was cool too.

He did let some chick sit in the driver seat who was wearing a pink Joe Rocket motorcycle jacket, and jeans with studs on the back pockets. I think he regretted doing that.

I also have photos from the Science Center if anyone wants to see crappy cell phone pics of the space shuttle Endeavour or it's liquid fuel engines. (I'm still bitter Houston didn't get a shuttle.)

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

*leaves this and steps out of the thread*

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Holy. loving. poo poo.

I need this. I need this now. What is that?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

MrYenko posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

I need this. I need this now. What is that?

Generally, GIS "airport station wagon conversion"

This one is a '62 Dodge Dart, supposedly modified for the Vatican, but formerly owed by a Catholic Church in KY.

It's also got a Dodge truck V-10, Viper T-56 transmission and some Z06 Corvette suspension bits.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

88h88 posted:

Want.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

88h88 posted:

Other than the hellaflush bull poo poo I like it. I've been toying with the idea of doing a E30 pickup because I want a small pickup truck but I'd also like a beater track car...and I'm stupid.

Something like this buy likely less nice, proper suspension and an engine swap.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Das Volk posted:

Given what it says and the fact it uses the USMC logo I'm betting the dent in the bumper next to it was a result of the sticker.

I think a dented bumper is the best case scenario if you are driving a car with that sticker anywhere near a military base. Out of all the branches, why would you pick the marines to piss off?

88h88 posted:

I kinda want it....

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
If the suspension weren't ruined and it was cleaned up and painted I would drive that everywhere I went for the rest of my life.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tactical Bonnet posted:

If the suspension weren't ruined and it was cleaned up and painted I would drive that everywhere I went for the rest of my life.

well it's not like a whole lot of complicated engineering went into making it, you should be able to make your own dream truck with a trip to the wreckers, a sawzall, an acetylene torch, some random nuts and bolts, and a case of beer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Linedance posted:

well it's not like a whole lot of complicated engineering went into making it, you should be able to make your own dream truck with a trip to the wreckers, a sawzall, an acetylene torch, some random nuts and bolts, and a case of beer.
You can substitute anything you're missing with more beer. Unless it's the beer you're missing, in which case I do have to ask what makes you think you're the kind of person who should own something with a pickup bed.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

InitialDave posted:

You can substitute anything you're missing with more beer. Unless it's the beer you're missing, in which case I do have to ask what makes you think you're the kind of person who should own something with a pickup bed.

Truth.

There is a "car" in Dixie Region that was actually prototyped using Natty Light cans as precision measuring devices.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Not a car, but my dad has begun using all the Keystone Light cans from my mom's alcoholism to panel the pump house back home.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Linedance posted:

While true, my plans for my miata are to turn it into a dedicated auto-cross/track car when I have the money, and I refuse to have more than one "project/toy" car at a time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Then take your El Camiata on trackdays. Duh.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Gronk Dad?

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

88h88 posted:

That's about half as cool as this one:

That's a Datsun 520 swapped to a Miata chassis. Full thread here:
http://community.ratsun.net/topic/7446-project-mx520-top-secret/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Stardotstar posted:

That's about half as cool as this one:

That's a Datsun 520 swapped to a Miata chassis. Full thread here:
http://community.ratsun.net/topic/7446-project-mx520-top-secret/

Which is a tenth as cool as this:

Okay.... stupid slammed pickup, right?

loving bam.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

loving bam.

That's cool and all and I'm all for custom race / drift cars but it kinda misses the point as the tray is no longer useable.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It doesn't even have a stereo either!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Quick! Somebody post that picture of that lame white boy layin' frame. We've gone far too long without a hellfucked derail!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
you really hate that thing huh

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

VikingSkull posted:

you really hate that thing huh

..and everyone who posts it, you can't forget that.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Negromancer posted:

I think a dented bumper is the best case scenario if you are driving a car with that sticker anywhere near a military base. Out of all the branches, why would you pick the marines to piss off?

Because people should be allowed to have opinions without worrying about their property being childishly vandalised by grown loving adults? :confused:

For content, I love couches on wheels. Totally impractical, but dammit, I'll have one, one day.

:v:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

This is what it looks like jumping a Gator.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

angryhampster posted:

My spine hurts just looking at this picture.

Not that it doesn't look like fun.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

H1KE posted:

Because people should be allowed to have opinions without worrying about their property being childishly vandalised by grown loving adults? :confused:
Does implying you're loving a soldier's wife count as an opinion?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

BlackMK4 posted:

loving bam.

I was going to say, "Awww, that poor Taco", but 'loving bam.' is right on the money. Beautiful.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BlackMK4 posted:

loving bam.

I still remember the fake magazine image "Mini Truckers and Other Gay Activities"

Unfortunately I think that image is on my home PC

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

anonumos posted:

I was going to say, "Awww, that poor Taco", but 'loving bam.' is right on the money. Beautiful.

It's a hilux anyway.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

H1KE posted:

For content, I love couches on wheels. Totally impractical, but dammit, I'll have one, one day.

As the owner of a couch on wheels I highly recommend it. We'll be taking our couch to the drive in this weekend.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

H1KE posted:

Not supporting loving with someones car, I'm just saying that knowing marines and how pissed they can get when people talk poo poo about other marines/the marine corp in general/gently caress their wives having a sticker like that is just asking to have some giant marine beat the poo poo out of you. Is that OK? Hell no, but that doesn't mean its not going to happen.

You have the right to put any stupid sticker on your car, but you have to understand that it might piss off some unbalanced person who is prone to violent outbursts.

Slugworth posted:

Does implying you're loving a soldier's wife count as an opinion?

That too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Came across a DeLorean last night!

angryhampster posted:

How's your[?] neck?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
^^^When I lived in Boston, there was a dude in my neighborhood who used to DD his DeLorean in the summer. It's still one of the few cars that makes me stop and say, "Oh poo poo! It's a [car]!" Always made my day to see that thing cruising.

As an aside, I thought the sticker from a few posts ago was meant as more of a gently caress you to the "I Support Are Troops!!!" crowd. As in: Your look-at-me slacktivist bumper sticker is just as self serving as loving some dudes wife while he's on deployment...

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This guy owns one, and he probably isn't a drug dealer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2wN0nL5zQA

I saw a couple of those cruising around Helsinki but more of these right here: Mercedes W124. They are bricks man.. b.a. cars to own too. This is kind of like what I was thinking to do with a Mersu:

Best car to get in terms of reliability, imo. W124's are gangster cars but I saw a [small] number of them when I was working for Stapex Oy in Finland cause you can put so many miles on em. most people drive little Fiats & dinky turdbox Volkswagens. A guy I knew from Espoo suburbs had a silver Merc w124 with rims like that on it. pretty slick. Don't do like jamppas [or Russians] do and put crappy fartcan exhausts on it and ratty stickers, tho.. seriously, that just ruins an awesome car. Just upgrade the turbos & call it a day. Boom, 40 extra hp.

(image resized to fit nvm)
Man, those Acura NSX's are nice. In Phoenix there are a few I saw driving around.. not much power but they are true supercars, even if they're made by the same company of ppl who made the Honda Accord coupe (another favorite of mine! Ahh.. Jap crap :D. I had a black Accord 5speed that I used to rod around in back in the day, but that's a story for another time.. I forget sometimes how much fun cars are! Honda clutches are arguably the best mainstream clutches in the world imo. Much better than Subaru's softy crap. But I digress). A friend of mine @ Perlman Architects [big T] drives a stick-shift Camaro that is strikingly similar to that car, incidentally.. he still has it to this day, as I recall.

Story edit:

My Accord was similar to this but the older model. I did a clutch [blue/gold Clutchperformance Trojan, naturally], got a stereo from Best Buy where I worked, red 'thulite' brand brakes, changed the oil a ton, redid the slave cylinder, machine washed the thing, & was forced to get new headlights for that ride, and then to top it off an idiot Scottsdale broad t-boned the drat thing at the downtown Scottsdale Pavilions Mall.. Stupid broad :|.

My dad checked the AZ Federal Magistrate Court records & apparently she had a bunch of other speeding tickets too, so we fought it out & got half of the damage to the car paid for by Allstate insurance. You know how you can 'probably' get away with going 5mph over the speedlimit [at your own risk of course]? Well she went like 20mph over -everywhere-. Her husband pulled out part of my engine bay with a hook that he had attached to his massive Chevy Silverado [i'm dead serious I documented it for the cops & the insurance claim], then they left. He wore a huge cowboy hat & cowboy boots with spurs..seriously who wears f-n spurs downtown.. pricks do! Did he think he was going horsebackriding later? Just imagine the Top40 blaring on the radio in that truck on the way home as they argued over the details of that [one of many documented] crashes. That ends the saga of that car, sadly. from then on I drove like a grandma, especially in parking lots.

Oh yeah, then I had the Honda towed to my friend russ's Performance Muffler shop to fix it [to junk the thing, as it turns out] and got on a plane back to Minnesota, to work at my company, LKP LLC. This happened around finals time in my scholarship biomed engineering studies at ASU Tempe. Wow, what a crazy semester that was. I managed to push out an A-average that semester also, which was really great & I was hardcore stoked on that :D

General Car Commentary edit:

Just thought of this while working at FlexTech Mgmt... You may imagine that there is a certain style of car that works for hardcore auto enthusiasts, the ones that like to -drive- not just get to work & back. Tight clutches, predictable power output and modifiability. The best cars for a car guy [mostly guys, lets be honest here] to modify are ones with solid stock internals. Thought of this at about the time my buddy Chris started his muffler shop.. Generally reliability used to be the mainstay of Toyota and Honda (especially in the 90's/2000's), since they took that over from GM & Chevy as American manufacturers' reliability ratings went into the shitter in the 80's. Nowadays in the 2010's I suppose BMWs, Hyundais & Subarus are taking that crown. You don't see many modified Saturns or Saabs out there, just sayin. That's because they are pieces of junk.

A3th3r fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 23, 2014

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

A3th3r posted:

I saw a couple of those but more of these right here: Mercedes W124. They are bricks man.. sweet cars to own too. This is kind of like what I was thinking to do with a Mersu:

Best car to get in terms of reliability, imo. W124's are gangster cars but I saw a [small] number of them in Finland cause you can put so many miles on em. most people drive little fiats & dinky volkswagens. A guy I knew had a silver w124 with rims like that on it. pretty sick. Don't do like Russians do and put crappy fartcan exhausts on it and ratty stickers, tho.. seriously, that just ruins an awesome car. Just upgrade the turbos & call it a day. Boom, 40 extra hp.

I love those wheels more than I should. I know it was(is?) the cool thing to put on your VW with broken suspension, but I kinda want a set for my jetta sportwagen. I think it looks good

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

F it, less blah more car. Have some cool poo poo from my FB feed:

H1KE fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 30, 2014

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

CharlesM posted:

Came across a DeLorean last night!

Hey it's Fremont! My office is just a couple blocks down 35th.

DeLoreans are weirdly exciting to see, they aren't that rare and I'm not a huge BTTF fan or anything, but that stainless is just so distinct.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Doriftu has finally become directly analogous to figure skating.