Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

As I work slowly towards my Platinum for FFX, I have a few questions about stat maxing:

1. Is maxing Magic worth it? It's the last stat I need to max and currently grinding for Magic spheres is a huge pain.
2. What exactly is required for the Sphere Grid completion trophies? I've unlocked the paths to all the extra areas on the standard grid so every character now has every ability but there are still a couple of Lv 4 Keyshperes I have yet to remove. To get the trophy, do I need to "travel" across every single node and/or remove all keyspheres?
3. It looks like i'm going to have a bunch of empty nodes left over, so is it worth pumping up HP? I was thinking it might be useful on Yuna for giving aeons more HP but i'm not planning on using any Break HP limit armour on my characters.
4. I read somewhere that increasing Agility beyond 170 is pointless. Is this true?
5. And finally.... Eva+Acc vs Luck: what do you guys think? I've already maxed Evasion and Accuracy but it was so easy, i'm wondering now if trying for max Luck wouldn't be better (please say no).

In conclusion, maxing stats is really goddamn tedious and I hope I never have to do it again.

1) Probably not, though there are a couple enemies that will be quite annoying without it. (there are other ways for those, though...)
2) Every single sphere both unlocked and filled, including the key spheres. You don't need to "travel" across the nodes, just have them all filled.
3) HP only helps to a point. For most enemies / bosses, 9999 is the absolute most they'll hit for, so having over 10K is more than enough. For the super super hard ones, they can hit for 99999 so you'll need some way of handling that anyway. I platinumed with only one or two characters over 10K HP.
4) I'm not sure, but I think maxing it out will give you more and more turns, which will help with the superbosses.
5) I didn't put any more luck spheres in than what I got during the game. I think the luck stats of my characters was in the 40s and 50s. This was NOT enough to hit many of the superbosses, and I'd have to use abilities during battle to increase luck and accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Once you raise luck to 100-130 or so, Accuracy and Evasion stop mattering entirely, and only a few of the dark magus sisters will be able to evade your attacks. Max accuracy won't help you hit most of the dark aeons after Shiva. The Aim ability can be used as a substitute - rather than raising the accuracy stat, it straight up increases your chances of hitting the enemy, up to 50% at 5 castings.

There is no reason to ever raise magic higher than what you get by just filling the grid regularly because physical attacks become straight-up better once you get into post-game stuff. The only exception to that is Jumbo Flan. Which you use to... get Magic Spheres. Right.

If you have auto-haste on your armor as you should, then between 170 and 255 Agility, the only difference will be how the turns are distributed at the start of the battle - the tickspeed (which is what determines how much time elapses between turns) is identical for all Agility values 170 and above, so there won't be any difference there.

The fastest way to get the "fill out the sphere grid" trophies is to branch off to a separate savefile where you delete all the luck nodes from the grid, then fill all the empty spots with MP nodes (they're the fastest to farm, the enemy they drop from can be downed with a single hit if your strength is high enough). I didn't do this because really why would you do this for something as pointless as a trophy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PTizzle posted:

No worries!

Sadly the later you get in the game the more useless Lulu and Kimhari get. Steal and use are always handy to have on more people though, Rikku's path also has lots of HP nodes early and plenty of agility along the way (which Kimhari and Lulu both tend to lack).

Having more of your party with slow/haste would be handy too. If you use a lot of any ability it's never a bad thing to have it on more party members.

But yeah, they're not going to be amazing late-game, but you can still try to pump them up with agility, strength (or magic if you'd prefer) and abilities to make them useful all-rounders.

I'd never used Kimhari much before this playthrough so I forced myself to keep him in the party at all times (switching characters around every random battle so everyone gets XP is a bit dull). Late-game he hits reasonably hard, has a good magic stat (grabbed basic white magic and a bunch of black magic on side paths) and has useful stuff like steal/use/cheers/reflex/mug/haste/slow/dispel/reflect. It's easier with one side character as you can just use all your magic/special spheres for learning off of others with him to make him well-rounded.

If you're thinking of doing any post-game stuff (weapon sidequests, monster hunting etc) everyone will start becoming very similar with overdrives being the only real separation point.

I *think* Holy might be stronger than Ultima but I might be remembering wrong. Does anyone know their respective power?

Are you using the standard grid or expert?

I'm using the standard grid. I didn't reach the end of anybody's path yet but I'm like one or two away on a few and I just beat Yunalesca. I haven't really looked anything up until this point, but from everyone saying "ARE YOU READY FOR THE FINAL BATTLE?" and there simply being a menu option that says "Sin", I think I'm at the point where I'm going to go and do a bunch of side content. First things first is to start capturing a lot of monsters.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

As I work slowly towards my Platinum for FFX, I have a few questions about stat maxing:

5. And finally.... Eva+Acc vs Luck: what do you guys think? I've already maxed Evasion and Accuracy but it was so easy, i'm wondering now if trying for max Luck wouldn't be better (please say no).

Trick question. The answer is Luck + some Evasion. Because of how Luck works, and the stats of Dark Mindy and Dark Ixion you want a Luck of 230+. You also want your combined Luck and Evasion to be 290. Accuracy can be wiped off the grid entirely and you'll still have no problems.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Great Lakes Log posted:

I'm using the standard grid. I didn't reach the end of anybody's path yet but I'm like one or two away on a few and I just beat Yunalesca. I haven't really looked anything up until this point, but from everyone saying "ARE YOU READY FOR THE FINAL BATTLE?" and there simply being a menu option that says "Sin", I think I'm at the point where I'm going to go and do a bunch of side content. First things first is to start capturing a lot of monsters.

Flying to Sin is not actually the point of no return for sidequesting. Inside of Sin is its own area with monsters to be captured for the Arena. The real point of no return is halfway through Inside of Sin. IIRC that point is clearly conveyed, and there are no save spheres past that part.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You max out magic on Yuna and Lulu because they're spellcasters. :colbert:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

You know, I think Final Fantasy X is the most memorable Final Fantasy game to me. I'm going to blame the sheer amount of dumb "challenges" the game has. I think there's one where you're not allowed to use anything but items and Use ever? poo poo's nuts.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I really like how smooth battle animation is. With people simultaneously running up to attack while others run back. So much faster. Especially after the slog fest of FF9.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I wouldn't do a bunch of side content before passing the point of no return anyway, you might overlevel. Finish the game and then complete the sidequests is my MO.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Man, if there's one thing I never get tired of in FFT, it's Algus/Argath's hilarious assholery. I'm kinda glad there isn't an alignment system in the game, because I feel like one of the routes would end up with you and Algus going on adventures to murder some peasants.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
If Yuna/Lulu/Rikku have their Taming weapons equipped, and they kill a monster with a spell or an item, do I still capture it?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Capsaicin posted:

If Yuna/Lulu/Rikku have their Taming weapons equipped, and they kill a monster with a spell or an item, do I still capture it?

Attack or Skills: magic doesn't work.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
ALso don't use overdrives.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Volt Catfish posted:

You know, I think Final Fantasy X is the most memorable Final Fantasy game to me. I'm going to blame the sheer amount of dumb "challenges" the game has. I think there's one where you're not allowed to use anything but items and Use ever? poo poo's nuts.

I just started playing X HD and I have to agree it's pretty memorable, but for a different reason. I hadn't played it in years and I've only hit Mushroom Rock but there's already a bunch of NPCs that I instantly remember. Can't say the same for XII or XIII. I know Tidus's VA is pretty goofy sometimes but a lot of the other VAs are pretty good for 2001, I think it helps making their characters stand out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
FFXHD bums me out because I like grinding trophies but the sphere grid one is the opposite of fun to me. I'm the RPG nerd who hates multi-classing and doesn't like job systems. I want my black magic user and my archer to do their thing and my knight and my thief to do their thing and not each other's thing. I don't get why a game with such an incredible cast of memorable characters would become so homogenous. I just really don't understand why anyone would want every dude to learn every power/spell. I'm not Mad About Video Games or anything but that just sounds so incredibly boring and sloggy for something that has no payoff "I beat Nemesis! *kazoo noise".

I think instead they should have created a Post-Game sphere grid so instead of learning each other's moves, there were weirder moves or prestige class skills that they could choose. As is I just cannot imagine a good reason for Lulu to learn power break or Wakka to learn cura but Wakka becoming a Dark Ranger or Lulu having option to become a calculator would be cool.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 29, 2014

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Bust Rodd posted:

FFXHD bums me out because I like grinding trophies but the sphere grid one is the opposite of fun to me. I'm the RPG nerd who hates multi-classing and doesn't like job systems. I want my black magic user and my archer to do their thing and my knight and my thief to do their thing and not each other's thing. I don't get why a game with such an incredible cast of memorable characters would become so homogenous. I just really don't understand why anyone would want every dude to learn every power/spell. I'm not Mad About Video Games or anything but that just sounds so incredibly boring and sloggy for something that has no payoff "I beat Nemesis! *kazoo noise".

Well there's always FFXII: International Zodiac Job System edition. You have to assign a job to your characters when you start, but you can't change it after. It's pretty fun and fixes that whole "everybody is exactly the same" problem the original had.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I think instead they should have created a Post-Game sphere grid so instead of learning each other's moves, there were weirder moves or prestige class skills that they could choose. As is I just cannot imagine a good reason for Lulu to learn power break or Wakka to learn cura but Wakka becoming a Dark Ranger or Lulu having option to become a calculator would be cool.

I mean, they sort of do that. There are skills that are either out of the way, REALLY far past what is considered part of normal gameplay, or just in the wrong part of the grid. Like in the original grid to get Ultima you have to go all the way back to the center, which someone with high casting stats won't end up next to. Or in the Expert grid Flare is located in Rikku's section behind a bunch of locks, and Rikku's end section actually branches off a bunch and has multiple paths you need to take at the end with some abilities hidden behind a LOT of level 4 locks. Full Break is near the beginning of Auron's section but behind a bunch of Level 4 locks again, so you have to backtrack to get his "best" move. You can easily beat the game without even getting to the end of grid sections.

It's sort of like how in FF9 everyone is a unique job but the endgame devolves into "make each one of these characters hit for exactly 9999"

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I really like how smooth battle animation is. With people simultaneously running up to attack while others run back. So much faster. Especially after the slog fest of FF9.

The way FFX handles combat animations is one of my favorite things. The hits are so satisfying. Even stuff like Tidus' first overdrive, where he flips and the sword hits and OVERKILL pops up.

By comparison his second overdrive is clumsy as gently caress when used on one enemy. Cool I'll just watch him run back and forth hitting a guy?? But in general it's pretty good. Also love the camera shifts as you get the last hit.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The way FFX handles combat animations is one of my favorite things. The hits are so satisfying. Even stuff like Tidus' first overdrive, where he flips and the sword hits and OVERKILL pops up.

I pretty much finish every battle with Auron. "Farewell." *WHACK* Definitely satisfying.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bregor posted:

I pretty much finish every battle with Auron. "Farewell." *WHACK* Definitely satisfying.

Deathstrike Rikku is great too. She goes up to someone, does a little spin and says WHOOPS and they burst into a bunch of pyreflies.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

According to an old interview, FFIX was supposed to have a very fast ATB system. However, Sakaguchi had it slowed down since the game was supposed to hearken back to class FF and the quick battle system suffered from performance issues.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Bregor posted:

This is really an iconic FFX thing for me. That poo poo's never not satisfying.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

TARDISman posted:

Man, if there's one thing I never get tired of in FFT, it's Algus/Argath's hilarious assholery. I'm kinda glad there isn't an alignment system in the game, because I feel like one of the routes would end up with you and Algus going on adventures to murder some peasants.

Man, screw that guy. First time through playing the game, I was completely underpowered when I had to fight him, and the cutscene that comes right before his fight... that just made it even worse. :mad:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Krad posted:

Man, screw that guy. First time through playing the game, I was completely underpowered when I had to fight him, and the cutscene that comes right before his fight... that just made it even worse. :mad:

It's hilarious because he's so universally hated they added a fight to War of the Lions where he gets revived and you kill him again. Memory serves, he's super easy too, just a shittier version of Gafgarion.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Enallyniv posted:

This is really an iconic FFX thing for me. That poo poo's never not satisfying.
It gets kind of annoying having him say "No time to waste, let's go" all the time. Auron's still awesome though.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
"Uh I'll be right back."

My favorite battle dialog is wakka asking how many steaks they might be able to make from a behemoth.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TARDISman posted:

It's hilarious because he's so universally hated they added a fight to War of the Lions where he gets revived and you kill him again. Memory serves, he's super easy too, just a shittier version of Gafgarion.

Algus, from the time you meet him, until the time you kill him has roughly 70 text boxes.. A good portion of those lines of text are nothing more than "...." or "!?" However in those 70 of lines of text you get such phrases as "Animals have no God!" when referring to the Death Corps saying something about God's will and after killing Teta saying this to Delita, "Angry, Delita? Angry because you're so utterly helpless? Know your limits! Commoners don't have power to change things! That's right, get angry! It's all you can do! Ha, ha, you deserve it!!"

It really shows the strength in writing that FF can have when this one character, can engender such anger in, well everyone. I don't know ANYONE who likes Algus who has played FFT.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 29, 2014

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Algus is an amazing villain in War of the Lions just for this line:

Either Algus or Argath posted:

You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Madmarker posted:

Algus, from the time you meet him, until the time you kill him has roughly 70 text boxes.. A good portion of those lines of text are nothing more than "...." or "!?" However in those 70 of lines of text you get such phrases as "Animals have no God!" when referring to the Death Corps saying something about God's will and after killing Teta saying this to Delita, "Angry, Delita? Angry because you're so utterly helpless? Know your limits! Commoners don't have power to change things! That's right, get angry! It's all you can do! Ha, ha, you deserve it!!"

It really shows the strength in writing that FF can have when this one character, can engender such anger in, well everyone. I don't know ANYONE who likes Algus who has played FFT.

It's funny because in the space of 3 battles he goes from "I just want to save my family honor" to "Fuckin' peasants are trying to be PEOPLE?! Rip and tear!" and it really does a great job of encapsulating how that random guy you met when you were in school/job orientation just turns out to be a huge rear end in a top hat 20 minutes later when he laughs at the homeless guy panhandling down the street. That aside, I'm doing the JP Scroll glitch to give Delita some black magic so he can have some fun at Fort Zeakden. :getin:

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

"Uh I'll be right back."

My favorite battle dialog is wakka asking how many steaks they might be able to make from a behemoth.

Near the beginning of the game, there's a cutscene in which Wakka calls Tidus "newbie". The next time you switch Tidus into battle, he says, "Newbie here!" and Wakka apologizes.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The line that sticks out to me is using Flee and Tidus yelling "Live and Let Live!". Tidus, they are the rage of the unconsecrated dead please stop taunting them with your vitalist privilege.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Near the beginning of the game, there's a cutscene in which Wakka calls Tidus "newbie". The next time you switch Tidus into battle, he says, "Newbie here!" and Wakka apologizes.

The best one is when you start the party with Yuna/Lulu/Wakka and Yuna does an impression of 'Lots of fiends around here, ya?' and Lulu goes, 'Stop that.'

It seems to be pretty rare and stops appearing after a certain point, which is sad because it is gold.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sunning posted:

According to an old interview, FFIX was supposed to have a very fast ATB system. However, Sakaguchi had it slowed down since the game was supposed to hearken back to class FF and the quick battle system suffered from performance issues.

It's pretty hard to go back once you're used to playing Final Fantasy VII on maximum battle speed. The maximum speed in FFIX isn't anywhere close to that.

Also, does anyone else prefer the ATB system from FFVI, VII, and X-2 where the bar continues to build while animations take place? It lets you queue up commands, rather than having to enter them instantly for efficiency.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

It's pretty hard to go back once you're used to playing Final Fantasy VII on maximum battle speed. The maximum speed in FFIX isn't anywhere close to that.

Also, does anyone else prefer the ATB system from FFVI, VII, and X-2 where the bar continues to build while animations take place? It lets you queue up commands, rather than having to enter them instantly for efficiency.

I'm one of those people who never had a problem with IX's battle speed. If anything, of the three mainline games on the PSX, the battle system is my favourite. :shrug:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

It seems to be pretty rare and stops appearing after a certain point, which is sad because it is gold.

Wasn't there a thing where all those quotes stop happening after a certain point in the game? Did they fix that? (assuming it was unintentional, I forget)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Polsy posted:

Wasn't there a thing where all those quotes stop happening after a certain point in the game? Did they fix that? (assuming it was unintentional, I forget)

Maybe the opening battle quotes. I think I was still getting "Farewell" "Boo yah" "See Ya" fairly often when I was catching all the monsters at the end.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Deathstrike Rikku is great too. She goes up to someone, does a little spin and says WHOOPS and they burst into a bunch of pyreflies.

Can't wait til I get to the Calm Lands, Deathstrike+Capture+Mug :swoon:

ApplesandOranges posted:

The best one is when you start the party with Yuna/Lulu/Wakka and Yuna does an impression of 'Lots of fiends around here, ya?' and Lulu goes, 'Stop that.'

I am doing this immediately.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

I'm one of those people who never had a problem with IX's battle speed. If anything, of the three mainline games on the PSX, the battle system is my favourite. :shrug:

I love FF IX to death, but I could never warm up to the battle system. It's not even the speed. It just feels profoundly weird to me: whenever you enter a command, you never quite know when it's gonna happen. Sometimes, enemies and the party just seem to stare at each other, as if both aren't quite sure what to do next. It feels incredibly stilted to me. Not to mention the countless little annoyances, like how you can't control exactly when Trances will trigger, how stealing is incredibly tedious, and how... get this... Zidane, after casting his "Always Escape" thingie, slowly reverts to his default animation before running away with his teammates, who have been running in place for half a minute.

You can't believe how that last one annoyed me.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

I love FF IX to death, but I could never warm up to the battle system. It's not even the speed. It just feels profoundly weird to me: whenever you enter a command, you never quite know when it's gonna happen. Sometimes, enemies and the party just seem to stare at each other, as if both aren't quite sure what to do next. It feels incredibly stilted to me. Not to mention the countless little annoyances, like how you can't control exactly when Trances will trigger, how stealing is incredibly tedious, and how... get this... Zidane, after casting his "Always Escape" thingie, slowly reverts to his default animation before running away with his teammates, who have been running in place for half a minute.

You can't believe how that last one annoyed me.

I like to think he's just surprised the little spark/light bomb thing he set off actually worked before remembering he's supposed to be running away with everyone else.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
In FFX what things, if any, should you do first when you get control of the airship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Polsy posted:

There are definitely still quotes up to Zanarkand, at any rate.

KDdidit posted:

In FFX what things, if any, should you do first when you get control of the airship?

Look up a guide and open the secret areas. In particular you'll want Baaj Temple for Anima.