Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Sash! posted:

There's not a second of Star Trek I haven't seen.

It's too late. I've seen it all.

Watch playthroughs for the 25th Anniversary game and Rites of Judgement. They're pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Sash! posted:

Naw, Romulan ale just has a shitload of sugar in it, see, but the Federation types are so used to all that ultra-healthy stuff that they don't even know what sugar really tastes like. Like that weird kid at school that wasn't allowed candy and then went out of his mind if he got a bite size Snickers in him

I can't think of a society that would enjoy sugar less than Romulans. Vulcans maybe but only because they can't actually enjoy anything.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Yeah there's no way that stuff was supposed to be anything other than some sort of distilled drink.

I like to imagine its illegal because its methanol based, and the only reason Kirk isn't dead is because Bones has something in his magic medicine bag for it.

I'm pretty sure the only thing in Bones' magic medicine bag is more Romulan Ale.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

Watching DS9 here and there while working on some stuff and I have to say the aliens that made those "Harvester" bio-weapons are the dumbest motherfuckers in the entire franchise. Pakleds are smarter than these guys.

Their plan:

1: Gather up all their smartest scientists and outside Federation help to figure out how to get rid of a Bio-Weapon. Don't just chuck them into the sun now.
2: Proceed to murder everyone who saw the data, but were entirely responsible for figuring out how to get rid of and cure said Bioweapons, not create them.
3: Extend that plan to two Federation officers who would never have any reason to re-create them "just to be sure." Except, you know, The Federation could make infinitely superior and more deadly weapons, bio or otherwise, if they had even a REMOTE mind to. So to insure that the Federation doesn't just roll a ship up and blast the crap out of them, they try to murder their people.
4: And all of this, in the end, is over a bio-weapon that gives you some mild flu-like symptoms and can be cured so rapidly and easily that if you can just get to a sick bay, you'll be 110% cleared to go home an hour later.

The whole plot would have worked infinitely better if it was some kind of game changing, solar-system destroying weapon or something that could not be disposed of properly, like highly unstable energy or something. But the aliens are fixated on something that makes any modern day bio-weapon look worse than a nuke in comparison in an era when a single ship can render an entire planet uninhabitable with a single torpedo. This is like antagonizing someone with a fleet of Death Stars because you're scared they might learn how to make an easily, easily curable version of Anthrax.

Dumbest. Aliens. Ever.

ED: Seriously though there's never any reason why they don't just load all of them onto a ship and hurl it straight into the nearest star.

The aliens may be dumb, but its basically the true start to the Bashier/O'Brien bromance so I can't hate it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Somebody extracted all the latinum! There's nothing here but WORTHLESS GOLD!!

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Fister Roboto posted:

Somebody extracted all the latinum! There's nothing here but WORTHLESS GOLD!!

Ferengi know that the only true currency in the galaxy is continuity errors

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Kibayasu posted:

The aliens may be dumb, but its basically the true start to the Bashier/O'Brien bromance so I can't hate it.

Time to nominate episodes for a Star Trek: Best of Bromance DVD collection.

TOS: Amok Time
TNG: Elementary, Dear Data
DS9: Armageddon Game; The Ascent
VOY: uh...
ENT: Shuttlepod One, or just an animated .gif of Trip and Malcolm doing the Butch Cassidy jump out of the Romulan airlock.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Romulan ale is clearly some sort of bum wine. Nothing natural could have that blue raspberry like color.

You don't eat blue/drink natural blue things.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

I can't think of a society that would enjoy sugar less than Romulans. Vulcans maybe but only because they can't actually enjoy anything.

Cardassians, on the other hand, LOVE sugar. Kanar is basically blackstrap molasses rum, evaporated to the consistency of syrup. Your Cardassian grandmother likely enjoys Kanar Liqueur, which is the aforementioned beverage mixed with Cardassian vole milk, producing a thick, creamy texture.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Thanks to that watch-a-random-Trek-episode thing, I have a question for this thread:

- Is it possible to dislike an episode where Riker becomes a caveman, Barclay becomes a man-spider, and the phrase pygmy marmoset* is spoken?

Bonus second question:

- If you believe the answer to the question above is 'yes', how does it feel to be wrong? Is it pain? If so, is it a sharp acute pain or broad, dull pain?

* Considered one of the funniest phrases by Ghandi and Jesus, just throwin' that out there.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Brawnfire posted:

Cardassians, on the other hand, LOVE sugar. Kanar is basically blackstrap molasses rum, evaporated to the consistency of syrup. Your Cardassian grandmother likely enjoys Kanar Liqueur, which is the aforementioned beverage mixed with Cardassian vole milk, producing a thick, creamy texture.

I'm pretty sure that sugary water would just naturally turn to caramel at the temperature that Cardassians find comfortable.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Delsaber posted:

Equinox Part 1 wherein Harry Kim refers to his best bud Tom Paris as Turkey Platter

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Yeah there's no way that stuff was supposed to be anything other than some sort of distilled drink.

I like to imagine its illegal because its methanol based, and the only reason Kirk isn't dead is because Bones has something in his magic medicine bag for it.

You mean he has more booze in the bag?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Ferengi know that the only true currency in the galaxy is continuity errors

I noticed this when Quark mentions that nog shaves the latinum. What does that even mean if the latinum is inside a gold container?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I noticed this when Quark mentions that nog shaves the latinum. What does that even mean if the latinum is inside a gold container?

I assume given there's a lot of references in the series to latinum as a solid thing that gold-pressed latinum is actually some kind of gold/latinum alloy rather than just a container.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

It's mixed with the gold, or made into an alloy as MikeJF says.
Latium is just a magical material that can not be replicated, but probably still adheres to chemical laws.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

LEGO Genetics posted:

You don't eat/drink natural blue things.

Ahem.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Watching DS9 here and there while working on some stuff and I have to say the aliens that made those "Harvester" bio-weapons are the dumbest motherfuckers in the entire franchise. Pakleds are smarter than these guys.

You forgot the best part. The dumb aliens are still committed to killing O'Brien and Bashier even after Sisko, and by extension Starfleet, have already gotten to wise them. Yep, these aliens are willing to commit an unambiguous, unprovoked act of aggression against a goddamn superpower over a bioweapon that's less scarier than the common flu.

Best case scenario is that the Federation cuts off diplomatic ties and the aliens are left to fend for themselves in a galaxy full of agressive, expansionist powers that are certainly armed with weapons a thousand times more destructive than these "Harvesters." Worst case scenario is all war with a Fleet of a thousand starships a hundred years more advanced than a vessel that could single-handedly glass the entire surface of a planet.

BrandonGK fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 29, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Also:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That's a lot of Pepsi Blue.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I started Enterprise. It has its share of problems already, certainly, but after watching two straight seasons of Voyager, it seems like the greatest thing ever made. The production value alone definitely makes it feel very different.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Crosspost from PYF Funny pics:

Honestly, the most offputting thing to me is the smiling Spock.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A gold Enterprise the size of the Death Star?

Fascinating.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Dark One posted:

I'm pretty sure that sugary water would just naturally turn to caramel at the temperature that Cardassians find comfortable.

So Cardassians enjoy a brisk 170 celsius? I guess that "armor" is actually a torso-oven. Makes sense, like a snake with a heat-lamp suit.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
http://twitter.com/CaseyPBiggs/status/330553907803734016

Damar posted:

If you want to have seconds, cut your seconds in half, so you can have thirds too. I got that lil trick from @Jonathan_Frakes. ATB, Casey

:allears:

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Subyng posted:

I'm looking for a picture...

Found it.

From this deviantart page

http://thundercake.deviantart.com/art/Star-Trek-redesigns-115189820

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Crosspost from PYF Funny pics:

Honestly, the most offputting thing to me is the smiling Spock.

Really? Not the name Winkie Pratney?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Delsaber posted:

Time to nominate episodes for a Star Trek: Best of Bromance DVD collection.

TOS: Amok Time
TNG: Elementary, Dear Data
DS9: Armageddon Game; The Ascent
ENT: Shuttlepod One, or just an animated .gif of Trip and Malcolm doing the Butch Cassidy jump out of the Romulan airlock.

"Bride of Chaotica!" would be a good candidate, I think.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
From a book summary (there's not much out there):

quote:

'Trust the Force, Luke!'

Wouldn't it be wonderful
If there really was a Force?
Something of great and awesome power
Available to anyone anywhere at any time!
Who would pay the price to learn of its ways and surrender to its direction?

Long, long ago, of a galaxy not far away,
It was written
'The Kingdom of Heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by Force'

Will you dare to lay aside your limits
And trust your life and destiny to the wisdom that holds together the stars?

'May the Force be with you.'

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

After having pecked around the edges of Voyager with a watchlist, I'm watching Bride of Chaotica for the first time.

I think this may be the first time the shitter has been directly referenced in one of the shows, and a shortage of functioning shitters is apparently going to be a plot point.

And Neelix intimated that there's something particularly messed up with Bollians that the shitter shortage will exacerbate. Bolians have like IBS or something now, that's canon.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Otisburg posted:

After having pecked around the edges of Voyager with a watchlist, I'm watching Bride of Chaotica for the first time.

I think this may be the first time the shitter has been directly referenced in one of the shows, and a shortage of functioning shitters is apparently going to be a plot point.

And Neelix intimated that there's something particularly messed up with Bollians that the shitter shortage will exacerbate. Bolians have like IBS or something now, that's canon.
Bolians are like more acidic than your average humanoid. There was another episode where the Doctor was advising against getting Bolian acid jizz up in you.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Trickjaw posted:

Really? Not the name Winkie Pratney?
No, but that does sound like a nickname Bashir had for his dick in medical school.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

LEGO Genetics posted:

Romulan ale is clearly some sort of bum wine. Nothing natural could have that blue raspberry like color.

You don't eat blue/drink natural blue things.

This?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Mad Dog is in no way, shape, or form natural.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's pretty cool except the cardassian doesn't look nearly duplicitous enough.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Oh my God Casey Biggs is honored that I made a nail polish inspired by him. And he named it. Oh my God this is better than the time Michael Moore DMed me.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Stairs posted:

Oh my God Casey Biggs is honored that I made a nail polish inspired by him. And he named it. Oh my God this is better than the time Michael Moore DMed me.

huh?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MikeJF posted:

I assume given there's a lot of references in the series to latinum as a solid thing that gold-pressed latinum is actually some kind of gold/latinum alloy rather than just a container.

Latinum is a liquid. It is stored within a container of gold. As shown in the episode Who Mourns for Morn.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cojawfee posted:

Latinum is a liquid. It is stored within a container of gold. As shown in the episode Who Mourns for Morn.

But things can also be made of solid latinum, be plated in latinum, gold is valuable but also worthless, gold pressed latinum can be meaningfully shaved and it's all just inconsistent.

Also gold doesn't just break into powder so basically don't get worried about what it physically is other than "money that you can't replicate".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

But things can also be made of solid latinum, be plated in latinum, gold is valuable but also worthless, gold pressed latinum can be meaningfully shaved and it's all just inconsistent.

Also gold doesn't just break into powder so basically don't get worried about what it physically is other than "money that you can't replicate".

Also a single bar of the stuff is apparently a significant amount of money (ie. more than you'd expect someone to have on them - in terms of wallet cash and not just the fact it's a really inconvenient bar).

• Locked thread