Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Baron Bifford posted:

I don't like how bland the defeat dialogues of the leaders sound. You'd think I had just beaten them at backgammon, not war.

Ramkhamhaeng could be interpreted as kind of...dark "Although I've lost, my honor shall forever endure. I have no other choice; I wish you good luck."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Boudicca's slumping shoulders and defeated "sword into wood" animation will never not be the most adorable thing ever. :3:

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

This is dependent on your game speed since culture prices don't scale up nicely. Your culture per turn remains constant across game speeds, but the culture prices skyrocket on Epic and Marathon. That +3000 culture is tasty on Normal and Quick, but on Epic and Marathon, it's like "poo poo I still need 15,000 more to get another policy." It's like they forgot to scale certain values on different speeds; Science and Barbarian Encampments are scaled perfectly, but goody hut gold and stuff like Great Writer culture don't seem to have been modified properly.

I once got 6 policies over 3 turns after expending about 4 great writers after a golden-age world's fair win. I think I got over 100,000 culture points. TBF I was pulling in ridiculous culture but it was all made possible by desert folklore, truly the greatest of pantheon gifts.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Meanwhile, in a polar ice cap near you!

It's poo poo like that which makes me want to never not use the fix Krakatoa mod.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ulvirich posted:

Meanwhile, in a polar ice cap near you!

It's poo poo like that which makes me want to never not use the fix Krakatoa mod.

Does that fix mod actually spawn Krakatoa near land at all?

I don't think I've ever been able to control a Krakatoa.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Well for me, given the relatively small sample size of krakatoa being present on a map after using the mod, it's never not been in the middle of the ocean. Doesn't necessarily mean it'll be in a GOOD location, but at least you could place a city that can work it.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Christo posted:

Catherine's is particularly... Uhh...

I still chuckle about the fact that Catherine's UA gives her more horses.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Genghis Khan's defeat is pretty nice. He leans forward and puts his arms behind his back so you can cuff him, and he says that now with his defeat, nothing stands in your way and you can conquer the whole world.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Speedball posted:

Genghis Khan's defeat is pretty nice. He leans forward and puts his arms behind his back so you can cuff him, and he says that now with his defeat, nothing stands in your way and you can conquer the whole world.

According to what I've read, he's saying in Mongolian "I await my execution."

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The Mongolian method for execution for nobles was to tie the victims hands to a pole and break his back (somehow).

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Celery Face posted:

I love how the leaders have the same reaction to being defeated as they do for having a spy killed (its hilarious when it happens to the Viking dude). Some of them will drop whatever they're carrying, get on their knees and lament their destruction just because one of their spies got caught.

I like to think the spy was their close personal friend or something. Shaka is the saddest man in the world when it happens, I can't help but forgive him.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Baron Bifford posted:

The Mongolian method for execution for nobles was to tie the victims hands to a pole and break his back (somehow).

I thought it was to build a big stage and crush people under it. Maybe they had a few variations. They had a lot of practice, after all.

I've just picked up Civilization: Revolution for the Xbox, and lo-and-behold, it's actually a really fun game. It even has some stuff that all civ games could benefit from, like ships coming with a free low-powered land scout unit so you can explore ruins you spot from the sea.

I can't believe how much I've missed advisors whose clothes change from era to era, as well.

Gort fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 29, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gort posted:

I can't believe how much I've missed advisors whose clothes change from era to era, as well.

Civ 5's advisors do this too, but nobody ever looks at or listens to them :v:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I just wish it had hotseat multiplayer. Needing two Xboxes and two TVs to play is a bit of a bridge too far.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I always liked the ability in Revolutions to in game assign names to various geographical features. Made it feel more immersive.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Soylent Pudding posted:

I always liked the ability in Revolutions to in game assign names to various geographical features. Made it feel more immersive.

Yeah, nothing quite like finding a river near Washington and naming it something like 'Eat poo poo Abe!'

I do really have a soft spot for Civ: Rev. I like their design decision of making everybody's UA's super powerful, but in a way which they were all pretty balanced (except for Rome, holy poo poo was Rome broken)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPh1gjuQw7k

Love Harald's ragequit.
Screw this game.
HARALD OUT.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked how in Civ 3 the leaders changed based on the era they were in. Modern Joan of Arc with her buzz cut and Army Tshirt made her pretty scary.

And who could forget civ 2 and its video advisors?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Doltos posted:

Does that fix mod actually spawn Krakatoa near land at all?

I don't think I've ever been able to control a Krakatoa.

Yes, it works very well. I've never found Krakatoa in the middle of an ocean since I started using it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

twistedmentat posted:

I liked how in Civ 3 the leaders changed based on the era they were in. Modern Joan of Arc with her buzz cut and Army Tshirt made her pretty scary.

This was my ~most favorite~ Civ feature, which will never come again due the cost of asset creation. :smith:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fintilgin posted:

This was my ~most favorite~ Civ feature, which will never come again due the cost of asset creation. :smith:

I'd rather it come back than having FULLY ANIMATED LEADERS that take a minute to load.

(Not really, but they do take a long time to load for me. The game is 2 years older than my current computer, but it takes forever to do anything)

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPh1gjuQw7k

Love Harald's ragequit.
Screw this game.
HARALD OUT.
I was pretty happy when I found some videos of the leader's dialogue with the translations of what they're actually saying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRFXG-mdeGU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy5rCQw5ibw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STbcToC3sho

Harald may be kind of a dick but you gotta love him.
".....Too bad that I'll probably have to kill you."

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

I'd rather it come back than having FULLY ANIMATED LEADERS that take a minute to load.

(Not really, but they do take a long time to load for me. The game is 2 years older than my current computer, but it takes forever to do anything)

I just switch the leaderhead settings to minimal, giving an unanimated CG image. gently caress having my computer chug for multiple seconds every time I want to weigh diplomacy with multiple leaders. Plus, it reduces the annoyance of being hassled by other leaders during the interturn. Which is the slowest part of the game anyway.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phobophilia posted:

I just switch the leaderhead settings to minimal, giving an unanimated CG image. gently caress having my computer chug for multiple seconds every time I want to weigh diplomacy with multiple leaders. Plus, it reduces the annoyance of being hassled by other leaders during the interturn. Which is the slowest part of the game anyway.

Exactly. It takes forever when you have 12 civs, and each one just has to tell you how much they like your proposal.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Celery Face posted:

Harald may be kind of a dick but you gotta love him.
".....Too bad that I'll probably have to kill you."

I pretty much give into Harald whenever he makes requests and poo poo, he's so awesome :allears: Whoever animated and voiced him deserve awards, I say.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Huh, when Venice takes over CS you can't free them? That's annoying.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Nope. Austrian Diplomatic Marriages and Venetian Merchants remove city state "status" from city states.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Phobophilia posted:

Nope. Austrian Diplomatic Marriages and Venetian Merchants remove city state "status" from city states.

It's hard to "liberate" a CS that willingly absorbed itself into an empire. I forget, can you burn them down?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think you can!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ugh because Venice had pretty much absorbed every CS on the map. There were maybe 6 that they had not absorbed. And they kept grabbing them after i pumped 1k into them to ally with them.

So I started out a new game. Wow, great start location 4 Salts, a dye and ivory all within the capitals range. Only bad thing is that I'm on a narrow piece of land with a land bridge on one side and mountains with another pass. Luckily with all these resources I have something like 15 happiness, so i pump out a settler. Get another good location that gives me furs and truffles. Then in the time I took me to build a second settler, Hiawatha sets a city right by the way out through the mountains. Okay, you can have that, its near your capital anyways. My scouts show you have some space you can expand, but you have Rome and the Huns to worry about. So I send the second settler across the land bridge, and there is another Iroquois city right there. How the hell did they get that through my territory without me noticing?

So i say "gently caress you, Manifest destiny bitch!" and march my army to their land bridge city, only to be greeted by 2x as many troops as I sent, who completely destroy my army or composite bowmen, spearmen and catapults. Hiawatha managed to do this while being at war with Rome and the Huns too, who he was beating because I got the message Rome lost its capital.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

twistedmentat posted:

And who could forget civ 2 and its video advisors?
She's hideous.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker

Pvt.Scott posted:

It's hard to "liberate" a CS that willingly absorbed itself into an empire. I forget, can you burn them down?

You can burn them down. I had a war with Venice in one game where he absorbed a CS that was right near my capital and eventually gave it up as part of a peace treaty. You better believe I razed that sucker immediately.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008

Celery Face posted:

I was pretty happy when I found some videos of the leader's dialogue with the translations of what they're actually saying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRFXG-mdeGU

Maria Teresa burps up a seagull upon defeat.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
What are the benefits of playing epic/marathon?

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
You get more time to be finicky and tactical with units relative to the total game span, and leads you build up in things like production can be more substantive (due to the higher turn granularity, a hammer or two can actually be a turn or two). It also lets you do things like farm barbarians easier. Overall it probably benefits you more than the AI.

It also takes a lot longer to beat. I've recently been trying different settings and I think I go 1-2 hours for quick, 3-4 for standard, and marathon is like 10-12+.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Khagan posted:

What are the benefits of playing epic/marathon?

The AI gets even worse at the game since military action becomes a larger part of it. You also have a lot more time to get gamebreaking promotions on your units.

It's a bit like dropping the difficulty a few notches.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008
I'd love to play epic or marathon just to really get deeply into micromanaging and barb farming but my computer is so old and creaky that by the medieval era just ending a turn can take over 5 minutes.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Sarah Bellum posted:

Maria Teresa burps up a seagull upon defeat.
Maria thinks there will be a "next time". Hahahaha. Game of backgammon indeed.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

René: Look, Willem. Everything the light touches is our kingdom.
Willem: Wow.
René: A king's time as ruler rises and falls like the sun. One day, Willem, the sun will set on my time here, and will rise with you as the new king.
Willem: And this'll all be mine?
René: Everything.
Willem: Everything the light touches...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Well, at least little Willem can lay down plenty of polders.

• Locked thread