Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I've been playing this, and I have to say, it feels quite a bit improved from how I remember. I wonder though, any tips for those of us who were dumb enough to pick engineer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

If you can't play well as an engineer (with all of its heals), you are bad at game.

e: Read the new player's guide: http://wiki.wesleyguide.com

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 29, 2014

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I love cover shield :laugh:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
fuuuuck you guuuuy

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

-Troika- posted:

I love cover shield :laugh:

It takes Bajoran Massacre Elite with Pubbies to an entirely new level.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Gorelab posted:

I've been playing this, and I have to say, it feels quite a bit improved from how I remember. I wonder though, any tips for those of us who were dumb enough to pick engineer?

10 blow poo poo up
20 set course for weed
30 goto 10

In all seriousness your class doesn't really matter all that much but I'd suggest getting some of those extra turret doffs for ground combat so you can just sit back and mortar everything to poo poo.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
I had almost forgotten how bullshit the Jem'Hadar BOFF was if you gave him ketracel white.

Dude just used his latent stealth ability to go invisible and one shot a Voth out of stealth by propelling himself across a platform to drop kick him in the face with both feet. He's like a coked up kung-fu Superman.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 29, 2014

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Are there requires for joining a goon fleet, such as not being terrible at this game?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

revtoiletduck posted:

Are there requires for joining a goon fleet, such as not being terrible at this game?

You got it backwards, you join then you get made not terrible.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

revtoiletduck posted:

Only requirements are don't be a shitlord and don't be an obvious J4G spy.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Morglon posted:

You got it backwards, you join then you get made not terrible.

This is good news. I read the OP and browse the STO wiki now and then, but still feel like I am probably missing some pretty fundamental things. Like, are the bits you get from the little scanner mini-game worth hanging onto? Is there anything I am likely to find at level 10ish that I absolutely should not sell?

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks
ya so DEAR RICHARD letter and all, but is there any way to get off the J4G list? I joined a bad pubbie fleet for fleet items access, then wandered across the s8 thread and discovered there was a goon fleet, asked for access and was labeled J4g. Having played in 3 or 4 goon guilds in different mmos over the years I know better than to try to argue about whether or not you're a spy right when someone calls you a spy, but it's been a while and uh, i'm not a j4g.

I joined the reddit fleet instead and they're ok so if it's "no you're branded j4g for life" it's not a huge deal, but i'd rather play with goons.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

300 Earth Dollars posted:

ya so DEAR RICHARD letter and all, but is there any way to get off the J4G list? I joined a bad pubbie fleet for fleet items access, then wandered across the s8 thread and discovered there was a goon fleet, asked for access and was labeled J4g. Having played in 3 or 4 goon guilds in different mmos over the years I know better than to try to argue about whether or not you're a spy right when someone calls you a spy, but it's been a while and uh, i'm not a j4g.

I joined the reddit fleet instead and they're ok so if it's "no you're branded j4g for life" it's not a huge deal, but i'd rather play with goons.

There isn't a checklist, no.

You can start by posting in something other than a Star Trek related thread and showing your ability to integrate with the Greater SA Community.

Don't ask "how long for" because there is no end date on this requirement.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

revtoiletduck posted:

This is good news. I read the OP and browse the STO wiki now and then, but still feel like I am probably missing some pretty fundamental things. Like, are the bits you get from the little scanner mini-game worth hanging onto? Is there anything I am likely to find at level 10ish that I absolutely should not sell?
No, and no as far as I can remember. Pretty much everything you get while levelling is only useful while levelling, you'll be replacing all your equipment once you hit 50 and start grinding rep projects. Even as a new level 50 you can get starter gear from the fleet bank. And if you're still afraid about accidentally selling something useful, link it in chat and ask.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

g0del posted:

No, and no as far as I can remember. Pretty much everything you get while levelling is only useful while levelling, you'll be replacing all your equipment once you hit 50 and start grinding rep projects. Even as a new level 50 you can get starter gear from the fleet bank. And if you're still afraid about accidentally selling something useful, link it in chat and ask.

The nebula pirate call signal you definitely want to keep - you don't have to slot it to use it, and it's pretty useful.

Other than that, the subspace field modulator and the devidian ground devices are nifty, but it isn't like you can permanently lose them if you miss them. Similarly, ghostbusters gun is cool, even if it isn't that effective.

Also, don't sell low-level gear to a vendor directly - a lot of it goes for significantly higher prices on the exchange. Why people pay 100k for some tier IV items I don't know, but it certainly helps get the ball rolling on spacerichness.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

welp the only other place i ever posted was the scifi books thread in yospos years ago, i guess im just more of a lurker these days

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Tunicate posted:

Also, don't sell low-level gear to a vendor directly - a lot of it goes for significantly higher prices on the exchange. Why people pay 100k for some tier IV items I don't know, but it certainly helps get the ball rolling on spacerichness.

Lack of supply(Since everyone blitzes it), a want or need for lower-level twinking(PVP?), as unnecessary as that is. Those are my thoughts, at least.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

I made pretty good bank a couple of times (not at all consistently) selling purple mk II drops that I'd get if I ran a solo SB24 after maxing out loot drops for the day. I assumed there was some kinda low-level PvP interest driving that, but can't imagine why.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
In regards to Dental Certification, is there a sponsorship policy? I have a RL friend I would like to get in if I could. He doesn't talk that much and he isn't a shitlord.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Melchior posted:

In regards to Dental Certification, is there a sponsorship policy? I have a RL friend I would like to get in if I could. He doesn't talk that much and he isn't a shitlord.

General rule of thumb is you can have friends in Dental provided they don't act out of order, and you understand you are responsible for their conduct.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Archonex posted:

I had almost forgotten how bullshit the Jem'Hadar BOFF was if you gave him ketracel white.

Dude just used his latent stealth ability to go invisible and one shot a Voth out of stealth by propelling himself across a platform to drop kick him in the face with both feet. He's like a coked up kung-fu Superman.

He's a killing machine without the Ketracel too.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I find the Breen Boff is also pretty great at shooting things.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

Archonex posted:

That is incredible. What did you name yours? Mine is Kukalaka Kaliki-Alihi.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Archonex posted:

Just hand him a batleth and let him run around like a crazyman.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Melchior posted:

Yeah if you're a Dental in good standing you can post his @handle in the thread and he will be invited to the chat channel/relevant fleets. Your fates will be linked though so if he acts like a shitlord and gets booted so will you.

NurhacisUrn posted:

That is incredible. What did you name yours? Mine is Kukalaka Kaliki-Alihi.

I named mine Roan'Amok. I loved running Bar Patron's Tale and watching him dropkick cat girls.

Lagomorphic fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 29, 2014

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Lagomorphic posted:

I named mine Roan'Amok. I loved running Bar Patron's Tale and watching him dropkick cat girls.

Speaking of which, there needs to be a list of goon or otherwise non-poo poo foundry missions, presuming they're still playable post-s9.

Bijor is a recent one, older one I can think of being A Dental Appointment. And The Well Ran Dry is a good one though it's a sequel to a mission that doesn't seem to be up anymore.

Farming missions, too.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ludicro posted:

General rule of thumb is you can have friends in Dental provided they don't act out of order, and you understand you are responsible for their conduct.

Speaking of which, can someone invite Vlad@malikcarr to the channel and SFD?

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

The undine deflector (which is pretty good) has a pretty :coal: effect imo

gallery of 4 at http://imgur.com/a/o9P93

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
So far the Undine set looks like a non lovely version of Aegis and I'm probably gonna go for the two piece Deflector and Engine for 5% extra accuracy and 10% extra def. Beyond that are two clicky abilities I didn't like at first glance so unless the shield is really good I'll go look elsewhere.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Gnome de plume posted:

Speaking of which, there needs to be a list of goon or otherwise non-poo poo foundry missions, presuming they're still playable post-s9.

Bijor is a recent one, older one I can think of being A Dental Appointment. And The Well Ran Dry is a good one though it's a sequel to a mission that doesn't seem to be up anymore.

Farming missions, too.

I would love to design some, but a little bit of :effort: and a little bit of not knowing what the gently caress. I tried to load the editor, but you have to be Gold? I think? That might be worth it, I suppose. Maybe? Anyone have any good resources for reading up on it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

I would love to design some, but a little bit of :effort: and a little bit of not knowing what the gently caress. I tried to load the editor, but you have to be Gold? I think? That might be worth it, I suppose. Maybe? Anyone have any good resources for reading up on it?

You only have to be gold to create a foundry development character, so it's one of those things you can do when you're gold for a single month. Doing a single month is definitely worth it, you get a bunch of features unlocked that stick around.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

300 Earth Dollars posted:

The undine deflector (which is pretty good) has a pretty :coal: effect imo

gallery of 4 at http://imgur.com/a/o9P93

Wanna see this on more ships. I hope the effect isn't limited to the Undine ones.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Nah, it appears on every ships. Mind you it's a bit less impressive on the larger ones - the Nicor's pretty tiny and the open "mouth" really shows off deflector graphics well - but it's quite a good look. Sort of want to see what the engine trails and shield graphics are like.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Doctor Zero posted:

The editor is down for a few weeks while they republish the existing episodes. They do this every time a new season gets released.

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!
In good foundry news, Bijor is back!

bubbles depo fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 30, 2014

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

Nah, it appears on every ships. Mind you it's a bit less impressive on the larger ones - the Nicor's pretty tiny and the open "mouth" really shows off deflector graphics well - but it's quite a good look. Sort of want to see what the engine trails and shield graphics are like.

Same here. If it looks good, I might start working on rep for my Scimitar.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

Same here. If it looks good, I might start working on rep for my Scimitar.

the deflector is worth getting regardless of looks, it's quite good and only tier 2

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

bubbles depo posted:

In good foundry news, Bijor is back!

As soon as the editor is back, I'll start on part two.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Hey so whoever is trying to frame us with the hamfisted "hack" of the diligram site, try doing some research next time.

For a start, there's no embedded mp3s or spinning gifs. Shameful. Secondly, why would you name @Atheonyirh as the person who did it, do you not know goons? Third, we wouldn't name Redditchat as one of our chats, you dozy oval office. You get a 4/10, and that's only because you used the Dental Eagle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Did a pubbie just give us a logo?

e: Also did they make a fake trading channel?

• Locked thread