Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really don't get how you can have such a selective memory that you forget about almost every boss being a 1v1 just because you encountered one chump boss that was a bunch of weaklings. There are a lot of bosses in this game and it is DEFINITELY not lacking in 1 on 1 fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Been doing a Simon Belmont playthough and its been going pretty drat well. I didn't appreciate just how good thrwoing knives and bombs were till now. Whips are seriously great too, power stancing them or even just two handing one.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

Also what's up with smelter demon barely taking damage from weapons? I tried a magic mace, large club and a greatsword and all did squat to him and his health.

Summon Lucatiel and have her face tank him. Use poison, he's very vulnerable to it. If you've unlocked the Doors of Pharos try to get a Gyrm shield, as it has 100% fire resist so it's worthwhile.

He is an optional boss though, you can skip him, but then what boss in the dark souls series is truly optional?

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Red Mundus posted:

Also what's up with smelter demon barely taking damage from weapons? I tried a magic mace, large club and a greatsword and all did squat to him and his health.

I used a Magic Mace, and it seemed to work better than a standard broadsword (I typically use a Greatsword, but I needed the mobility that not lugging around a 100 pound sword doesn't let you get). Reading above, I didn't realize poison is so strong against him, try a rotten pine resin?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

He is an optional boss though, you can skip him, but then what boss in the dark souls series is truly optional?

The Quit Game button :negative:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpVv-Y4EgMI

lol

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Artificer posted:

I suspect that my love of co-oping on my way through the game is inflating my Soul Memory and making me hilariously over levelled for the areas that I am in... Anyone else having this problem?

Yes I'm at 4.1m soul memory and I have two required and two optional bosses left in NG. I wish twinkling titanite and titanite chunks were unlimited buys.

E: Did anyone else find the boss of the Dark Chasm of Old really easy?

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 30, 2014

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Tracula posted:

Been doing a Simon Belmont playthough and its been going pretty drat well. I didn't appreciate just how good thrwoing knives and bombs were till now. Whips are seriously great too, power stancing them or even just two handing one.

FROM realized the Old Whip was way too much fun which is why they gave it a durability of fuckyou/20. :(

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Anyone have a link to something like a Complete Beginner's Guide to Dark Souls 2?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

I used a Magic Mace, and it seemed to work better than a standard broadsword (I typically use a Greatsword, but I needed the mobility that not lugging around a 100 pound sword doesn't let you get). Reading above, I didn't realize poison is so strong against him, try a rotten pine resin?

The Quit Game button :negative:

He also takes significantly less damage when he stops and does his "stab in the belly" thing, so if you're trying to take advantage of that it may be part of the reason.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Red Mundus posted:

I used my Great Club +4 and didn't really feel like damage was a problem. It's worth nothing that he takes less damage when he's in his powerup animations, though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

I used my Great Club +4 and didn't really feel like damage was a problem. It's worth nothing that he takes less damage when he's in his powerup animations, though.

Great Club does a ton of damage and does strike damage; it's gonna do a lot of damage to everything.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Oh bullshit. I know I caused it myself, but late in the game I missed out on someone's questline because I happened to go the other way behind some stairs first, saw a message from a player saying something like "spirit ahead don't you dare!" in front of a lever, along with a bloodstain of someone pulling the lever and immediately dying. So I flipped it and spun around because I thought I'd get jumped in the back, but apparently I hosed myself out of some items. Since I got there by jumping over the banister, I didn't see the half-dozen developer messages saying to turn around until I was leaving.

This just killed my mood to play right now. :(

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 30, 2014

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Cyberventurer posted:

Oh bullshit. I know I caused it myself, but late in the game I missed out on someone's questline because I happened to go the other way behind some stairs first, saw a message from a player saying something like "spirit ahead don't you dare!" in front of a level, along with a bloodstain of someone pulling the level and immediately dying. So I flipped it and spun around because I thought I'd get jumped in the back, but apparently I hosed myself out of some items. Since I got there by jumping over the banister, I didn't see the half-dozen developer messages saying to turn around until I was leaving.

This just killed my mood to play right now. :(

I did the same sort of thing, though it was more calling FROM's bluff and doing it anyway without exploring more.

You now get a wonderful NPC phantom that has a spell that'll one shot you!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You know, I was wondering why they didn't have any of the NPCs say many different things as you progressed through the game. It would make revisiting Majula more interesting. Except, they DID have one NPC say a lot of different stuff depending on where you are.

Its the loving cat :psyduck:

Really, go talk to the cat and see how many different things she has to say regarding your goals. She gets new lines through the game that are relevant to what you are doing. So rather than giving the NPC you have to talk to every time you level up more lines, they instead gave them to the cat most players won't bother talking to more than once or twice.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

turtlecrunch posted:

FROM realized the Old Whip was way too much fun which is why they gave it a durability of fuckyou/20. :(

The whips that Gilligan sells are actually not too bad and don't break after literally five attacks. Is it worth infusing whips with any sort of element?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Internet Kraken posted:

You know, I was wondering why they didn't have any of the NPCs say many different things as you progressed through the game. It would make revisiting Majula more interesting. Except, they DID have one NPC say a lot of different stuff depending on where you are.

Really, go talk to the cat and see how many different things she has to say regarding your goals. She gets new lines through the game that are relevant to what you are doing. So rather than giving the NPC you have to talk to every time you level up more lines, they instead gave them to the cat most players won't bother talking to more than once or twice.

The cat and the sulken dude at the top of the stairs are pretty much lore spouts. They tell you where to go and what to expect, but hardly no one ever talks to them.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah she seems to have a lot of variety in terms of dialogue. She's also doing something different pretty much every time I come in there and they even remembered little details like making her ears flick occasionally. SO much detail on that cat.

Emerald Herald also has more unique dialogue (based on your progress) than people give her credit for.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Emerald Herald, the cat, and Saulden all get more dialog throughout the game. Cale and Leningrast get a some more too, Maughlin gets a couple extra lines every time his stock grows.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Seriously, if you're not wearing Gowers in PvP I don't know what to tell you.

On a side note, invading someone as a blue spirit while they're being invaded by a gray spirit and teaming up with said gray spirit is pretty loving awesome.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Saulden's dismissal of "May you find peace on your journey." is so :smith: it kind of hurts. Funny, to see a Crestfallen Warrior who I don't hate after two or three lines of dialogue.

... I hope he doesn't off himself :ohdear:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Emerald Herald, the cat, and Saulden all get more dialog throughout the game. Cale and Leningrast get a some more too, Maughlin gets a couple extra lines every time his stock grows.

That's true, I forgot about Lenigrast and Chloanne's little mini-storyline. Maughlin's made me sad first time I heard it.

Home? Where is home?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Soul Greatsword is an amazing PvP spell.
I don't know how it's in the NG+ and upwards, but here down in 1M-SM land the amount of players that do not expect you to pull that out is unbelievable. Especially as it sometimes takes off a good 50-60% of their health.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Broken Cog posted:

Soul Greatsword is an amazing PvP spell.
I don't know how it's in the NG+ and upwards, but here down in 1M-SM land the amount of players that do not expect you to pull that out is unbelievable. Especially as it sometimes takes off a good 50-60% of their health.

I was wondering where that was, I've seen footage of it loads of times before the game came out and I remember thinking that was the coolest drat thing in the world. Was starting to think it didn't make the cut because until now nobody's ever mentioned it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Ciaphas posted:

Saulden's dismissal of "May you find peace on your journey." is so :smith: it kind of hurts. Funny, to see a Crestfallen Warrior who I don't hate after two or three lines of dialogue.

... I hope he doesn't off himself :ohdear:

It gets very :unsmith: when your population of Majula grows.

edit: gently caress Maughlin, assuming I wouldn't be able to afford. I BOUGHT everything from you smug rear end prick.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
How much intelligence do you need to get the mage NPCs to give you the time of day? I can get 8 or so through equipment but that only brings me up to 11.

Also I'm amazed I completely overlooked the main part of Pharros for so long. I can see that boss giving someone trouble if they're not destroying a third or a quarter of its health with every great lightning and sun spear tossed.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Stat bonuses from equipment don't work, you need a natural int of 8.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Hipster Occultist posted:

Seriously, if you're not wearing Gowers in PvP I don't know what to tell you.

On a side note, invading someone as a blue spirit while they're being invaded by a gray spirit and teaming up with said gray spirit is pretty loving awesome.
When I was doing a ton of red soapstone dueling (as the one dropping the sigil), if a red phantom invaded I would kill them. This is my fight, leave! :argh:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Azuth0667 posted:

E: Did anyone else find the boss of the Dark Chasm of Old really easy?

I found it pretty easy, but I was throwing around spiced sunlight spears to kill it :shrug: (it took four of them).

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

AndroidHub posted:

I found it pretty easy, but I was throwing around spiced sunlight spears to kill it :shrug: (it took four of them).

Yeah I found the actual Chasm areas with their random pits and NPC tier baddies to be more of a headache. Once I figured out how much he loves hanging and tossing Dark I just said gently caress it and hurled as many Great Lightnings as fast as possible. Second attempt he didn't even get a chance to split in two.

Coincidentally this has turned into my strategy for just about every boss now.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Try fighting the darKlurker with a melee build. :colbert: (aka fists only)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Perfect Potato posted:

Yeah I found the actual Chasm areas with their random pits and NPC tier baddies to be more of a headache. Once I figured out how much he loves hanging and tossing Dark I just said gently caress it and hurled as many Great Lightnings as fast as possible. Second attempt he didn't even get a chance to split in two.

Coincidentally this has turned into my strategy for just about every boss now.

That's pretty much how I killed the final boss.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Great Club does a ton of damage and does strike damage; it's gonna do a lot of damage to everything.

yeah I kinda hate how all-around effective it is because I'm really tired of using it, hahah

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I haven't played in a few days and wanted to hop in for an hour or so before passing out but it can't connect to the server.

Doesn't it use Steam servers??

Tahjir
Oct 6, 2009
Okay I want to know how long it took them to write that list. I didn't even know the word waffle could be offensive.

Bingo
Aug 18, 2003

Does any other greatsword use the claymore moveset? It's perfect, I absolutely love it.

Also, for a quality build would the black knight halberd be better than the regular halberd? The black knight halberds got slightly lower physical but extra fire damage. I don't want to spend all my twinkling just to find out its a marginal upgrade, especially when it weighs more than the regular halberd too.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

I haven't played in a few days and wanted to hop in for an hour or so before passing out but it can't connect to the server.

Doesn't it use Steam servers??

This happened to me tonight as well. Try deleting ClientRegistry.blob in your Steam folder and restarting Steam.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Luisfe posted:

Anyone knows if x360ce is still safe to use? I am a bit worried.

No one knows for sure, but supposedly yes. I took the gamble and I'll let you know.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

I've been PVPing a ton in the Belltower phantoming for folks and getting invaded and I gotta say that I love that Longswords are good again. Sunlight Blade + the Heide Sword seems like a really great combination!

I just really wish I wasn't limited to using the small soapstone for summons for folks who are also wanting to team up to fight Bellbros, since a lot of folks who actually need the assistance tend to also summon me and proceed to rush headfirst into the NPC enemies during an invasion, meaning that if I try to save them by clearing the trash or cover them clearing the trash I still get unsummoned when they kill one or two of the NPCs. It's really a shame since those are the dudes I wanna help the most!

For the same reason, I dislike the Soul Memory implementation alot since it seems to slowly be pushing me out of the assistance range..

edit: If you spot "Paladin Marina", give a shout! I just wanna kill some bad dudes and whatnot

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 30, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Here's a lesson Dark Souls taught me; don't fulfill dubious requests in pursuit of a dumb hat.

I looked up where to get some gear I wanted and found out I needed to complete the murder requests of a crazy guy to get him to sell them too me. I could have completed said requests by simply progressing further in the game, but I figured "hey the only characters I care about in Majula so I can just kill them, burn a bonfire ascetic, and then they'll come back and everything will be just fine! I'm not gonna bother looking up if this plan will actually work because I'm lazy and tired.

Well it didn't work. Maybe I misunderstood ascetics and they don't reset NPCs, but either way I kind of just hosed myself overbecause one of the people I killed was the Emerald Warden. So no more leveling.

...but at least I got my hat :shepicide:

gently caress. She'll at least come back on NG+ right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

gently caress. She'll at least come back on NG+ right?

After some time, A gravestone should spawn - and you can use it to bring her back (As a ghost?). I think this is the same for all friendly NPC's.