Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Lazlow posted:

Scored a nice one yesterday. Went to collect a throw from the keeper about 10 yards outside our own penalty area toward the left wing but came under pressure pretty quick and had to tap it further wide. The guy was bigger than me (most are) and as we fought for the ball and position he shouldered me off pretty easily. He got between me and the ball and tried to turn, but I stuck my foot in between his legs and knocked it up the wing a yard or so, then ran around him as he was still trying to turn (toward my goal). I streaked up the left wing, nearly 2/3 of the entire drat pitch (lord knows why they weren't defending it), got to the corner of their area, and as their keeper started to move toward me I curled it up and over him to the far post. It floated in just inches from the post and crossbar. He actually grazed it with his fists but at that point he was practically diving backwards and he just managed to knock it into the top of the net.

Which brings me to my question: How much do you celebrate goals? :v: Yours or other teammates?

After this one I went a little hoarse from yelling "YEEAAAAAHHH!!!! YEAAHHHH!!!" so loudly. I know it depends entirely on the circumstances, you're not going to pull off your shirt and run screaming up the sideline in a pickup game (or maybe you are, I dunno), but this was a league game against a team two or three places above us in the table, and I worked my rear end off for that goal. Plus it was a great shot, and while it didn't win us the game it tied us up with only about 5 minutes left (after a pretty stupid mistake by our center backs led to an easy goal for them in the first half). And goals are usually pretty rare in 11s games.

Granted I'm pretty vocal all around, and usually yell loudest whenever anyone on the team scores.

Just go mental. Sounds like it was a proper goal, so it deserves a proper celebration. Maybe don't go all Tardelli if you tap the 8th in against minnows, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I hate to bring this up again but after playing 3 games in this Co-Ed league I finally got sick of these stupid female touches on the offensive half I sent an email and am talking to the league director about it and here was his response:

quote:

Getting touch on the offensive half before going to goal is pretty standard across all other facilities in the area that I know of and have played at for years. This is probably the first time I have heard that the rule is demeaning towards females. In fact this rule allows the female to be more involved in the game taking all free kicks and getting involved into the offense before scoring.

He also said he doesn't see the rule changing but will poll some players and see what other people think. I did find out in the Men's leagues they allow Co-Ed teams and they don't have these rules so my team is going to meet this week and talk about switching to the Men's league.

Other than this bullshit I am really glad I am getting back into playing soccer (got 2 assits this week!). There is one spot on my shoe that keeps giving me a horrible blister on the top of my toe, would throwing a bandaid help, I'm pretty sure it would just fall off though.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
wow

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

fyallm posted:

I hate to bring this up again but after playing 3 games in this Co-Ed league I finally got sick of these stupid female touches on the offensive half I sent an email and am talking to the league director about it and here was his response:

He also said he doesn't see the rule changing but will poll some players and see what other people think. I did find out in the Men's leagues they allow Co-Ed teams and they don't have these rules so my team is going to meet this week and talk about switching to the Men's league.

Other than this bullshit I am really glad I am getting back into playing soccer (got 2 assits this week!). There is one spot on my shoe that keeps giving me a horrible blister on the top of my toe, would throwing a bandaid help, I'm pretty sure it would just fall off though.

Liquid skin is the answer to all blister problems.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Lazlow posted:

Liquid skin is the answer to all blister problems.

Awesome! I remembered using something like this in the past but totally forgot, thanks!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Good luck Soulex

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Lazlow posted:

Scored a nice one yesterday. Went to collect a throw from the keeper about 10 yards outside our own penalty area toward the left wing but came under pressure pretty quick and had to tap it further wide. The guy was bigger than me (most are) and as we fought for the ball and position he shouldered me off pretty easily. He got between me and the ball and tried to turn, but I stuck my foot in between his legs and knocked it up the wing a yard or so, then ran around him as he was still trying to turn (toward my goal). I streaked up the left wing, nearly 2/3 of the entire drat pitch (lord knows why they weren't defending it), got to the corner of their area, and as their keeper started to move toward me I curled it up and over him to the far post. It floated in just inches from the post and crossbar. He actually grazed it with his fists but at that point he was practically diving backwards and he just managed to knock it into the top of the net.

Which brings me to my question: How much do you celebrate goals? :v: Yours or other teammates?

After this one I went a little hoarse from yelling "YEEAAAAAHHH!!!! YEAAHHHH!!!" so loudly. I know it depends entirely on the circumstances, you're not going to pull off your shirt and run screaming up the sideline in a pickup game (or maybe you are, I dunno), but this was a league game against a team two or three places above us in the table, and I worked my rear end off for that goal. Plus it was a great shot, and while it didn't win us the game it tied us up with only about 5 minutes left (after a pretty stupid mistake by our center backs led to an easy goal for them in the first half). And goals are usually pretty rare in 11s games.

Granted I'm pretty vocal all around, and usually yell loudest whenever anyone on the team scores.

If i score in an 11 a side game i'm fuckin' yelling and jumping on people

In my 6 a side league goals are really common so maybe a muted fistpump

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I'm going to start playing in a 6v6 Coed indoor soccer league, and I figure this is the best place to ask for advise.

Shin guards are not mandatory for play, that seems strange to me. I would think it would be in my best interest to not have my shins kicked in. Has anyone heard of a league that does that?

Do indoor soccer shoes actually provide significant benefits over regular athletic shoes? I have a pair of simple puma running shoes I plan on wearing, and I don't think I'm skilled enough playing soccer for my footwear to make any meaningful impact. However, if the shoes really are something standard that people wear I'm all about getting some.

My league has two divisions, a "Gold" league which I assume is more competitive and a "Rec" league which my team will be playing in. Looking at the results from last season there seems to be a wide range of skill among the teams in the Rec league. Undefeated teams all the way to teams that have a -50 goal differential over 10 games. Is this typical? How serious are people taking the matches?

I'm sorry if these questions are silly, but I'm a bit anxious about playing. I only have one year experience playing soccer, and that was in a YMCA youth league about 12 years ago.

Fake edit: If anyone has any general advise for indoor soccer, or soccer in general I would be grateful for it.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
buy the football shoes or you will be given a dirty look if you prance around in your running shoes. you will eventually need them if you continue playing and improving.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Lazlow posted:

The only goal I scored that wasn't indoor footy was celebrated by a low fist pump and a smiling happy job to my waiting teammates. I didn't know how I was going to react but I guess that was it.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I am hoping I can get back to playing soon.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Yeah, proper soccer/football shoes/boots are constructed differently than running shoes, obviously, and might even help you improve your touch since they're built to kick a ball with. Running shoes tend have a thick, wedge-shaped sole that can get in the way of (proper, inside of the foot) passing and a upwards-pointing toe that could get in the way of proper kicking, and maybe even encourage you to kick with your toe.

Best general advice for indoor is just be drat fit, it's a lot of running.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Diplomat posted:

I'm going to start playing in a 6v6 Coed indoor soccer league, and I figure this is the best place to ask for advise.

Shin guards are not mandatory for play, that seems strange to me. I would think it would be in my best interest to not have my shins kicked in. Has anyone heard of a league that does that?

Do indoor soccer shoes actually provide significant benefits over regular athletic shoes? I have a pair of simple puma running shoes I plan on wearing, and I don't think I'm skilled enough playing soccer for my footwear to make any meaningful impact. However, if the shoes really are something standard that people wear I'm all about getting some.
Fake edit: If anyone has any general advise for indoor soccer, or soccer in general I would be grateful for it.
Shin guards - it's an indoor league so people aren't playing with studs (or they shouldn't be) so shin guards aren't as necessary. I never wear them when I play five-a-side, but that may be because I have no nerves in my shins from my years of playing. I actually have dents that you can feel in the bone. Wear them if it makes you feel better.

General advice:
- Don't be afraid to use your body/arse to shield the ball. I honestly believe this is one of the most important skills you can learn since it often buys you time to pass the ball, clear it, shoot, whatever. Being able to hold the ball up also makes you useful even if you're a poo poo player technically.
- Communicate.
- Practice basic passing until you can reliably find a teammate.

Charlotte Hornets posted:

buy the football shoes or you will be given a dirty look if you prance around in your running shoes. you will eventually need them if you continue playing and improving.
You say that but some of the best fives players I've played with run around in granddad jogging trainers.

Still, I would recommend going to a shop and trying some astro boots on. Personally I wouldn't play without boots since they offer much better control.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 28, 2014

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Whenever I score I usually congratulate my team mates for their past in the goal and then I commiserate my opponents but in a non condescending manner. Sometimes if its a good goal I give myself a congrats too

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chas McGill posted:

Shin guards - it's an indoor league so people aren't playing with studs (or they shouldn't be) so shin guards aren't as necessary. I never wear them when I play five-a-side, but that may be because I have no nerves in my shins from my years of playing. I actually have dents that you can feel in the bone. Wear them if it makes you feel better.

what the gently caress? you have dents in your shin bone as a result of never wearing pads. I am amazed they let you play in a league without shin pads.

wear shin pads in any competitive game people. 5a side 11 a side, whatever wear them. pre-season friendlies count as competitive games for this purpose.

the only time I wouldn't wear them is when having a kick around in the park with my mates.

ShaggiusPrime
Aug 30, 2005
Kill my boss, dare I live out the American dream?

Lazlow posted:

Goal celebrations

Generally my feel is celebrating my own or a team mate's goal is totally legit, but whenever the other team does it it's a dick move.

In seriousness it's all about the situation. When it's an intense close game and your team scores, how can you not celebrate? In your situation I probably would have done something similar. Moments like that are what make football so fun. That said, gently caress anybody that goes crazy after scoring a goal that puts up their team 8-1. People like that are pretty few and far between for the most part though.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

ShaggiusPrime posted:

Generally my feel is celebrating my own or a team mate's goal is totally legit, but whenever the other team does it it's a dick move.

In seriousness it's all about the situation. When it's an intense close game and your team scores, how can you not celebrate? In your situation I probably would have done something similar. Moments like that are what make football so fun. That said, gently caress anybody that goes crazy after scoring a goal that puts up their team 8-1. People like that are pretty few and far between for the most part though.

The freakish back heel goal I popped over the keeper's head while falling got a couple of fists to the sky after I hit the ground, otherwise I pretty much act like every goal is an accident. Because if you saw my warm up shots, you'd know there is a fat chance that my scoring shots went where I actually tried to put them.

In my league, the sidelines tend to do 80% of the goal celebration. Not much special about goals in a game that tend to end up with scorelines of 10-6 anyway.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I have way too much respect, so I don't celebrate if I score a goal.

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014
My celebration:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

If a teammate scores I'll congratulate him, maybe a low five too, and anyone else involved. If it was a crucial goal like an equaliser or one to put us in the lead then I definitely break out the tiny fistpumps.

If I score I act all casual about it, if it was a great goal then in my head I'm basically celebrating like it's the winner in the Champions League final or something, but still acting dead casual like it was no big deal.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

ephex posted:

I have way too much respect, so I don't celebrate if I score a goal.

Same except instead of respect it's contempt.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

The only goal I scored that wasn't indoor footy was celebrated by a low fist pump and a smiling happy job to my waiting teammates. I didn't know how I was going to react but I guess that was it.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I am hoping I can get back to playing soon.

Tell us more about this smiling happy job

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 509 days!
Inside the box - high five the guy who passed you the ball
Outside the box - hootin' and hollerin' and the puttin' of the shirt over the headin'

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I usually sub myself out after most goals. Had 2 goals and 3 assists Saturday. One goal and 2 assists as stopper, and 1 goal and 1 assist as centermid. Played less than 45 min total and left before the game was over so I could make it to a pick up game. The way I play stopper would give a real coach a heart attack. I'm not super awesome or anything,, but the team we played was overmatched.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
Wearing shin guards in competitive soccer is important, but if you're in a rec league you and others need to not be blasting people in the shins. It's just poor form and is the go to move of new guy that is so-and-so's friend so they stuck him on defense. It also can cause some severe injuries, shin guards or no. If you do it to me a bunch in one game, I will punch you in the dick when the referee isn't looking.

In regards to shoes, it's more about personal comfort and restrictions. Tennis shoes will restrict your handle a bit, but only so you have to be a little more careful about whatever touch you're putting on the ball. In the end it's just what you're used to. There is a reason they make a dedicated turf shoe or cleat for grass, though.

Sometimes if I have a breakaway goal I will pretend-knock myself unconscious on whatever goal post I'm running at.

The one true heezy fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 29, 2014

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I wear my normal shinguards anytime I play soccer. Not for protection, but so that I'm used to it and don't feel weighted down when they are required.

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 509 days!
Wearing tennis shoes or trainers is a terrible idea because those things aren't made to handle cuts, running backwards, running sideways, etc. It's asking to roll an ankle or worse, screw up your knee. Cleats on the bottom are a plus (and a huge one, so make sure you get studs that match what you're playing on), but the more important thing is to wear a shoe designed for how you need to move. Wearing a running shoe for anything but "running" is just :stare:

Also people who don't wear guards in actual "competitive" league games are almost invariably a "that guy" who thinks the scouts are out for the Tuesday night co-ed leagues.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Also be sure to find out what kind of field you are playing on. Either field turf or astro turf

Xbox One
Apr 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 509 days!

fyallm posted:

Also be sure to find out what kind of field you are playing on. Either field turf or astro turf

lol I literally said this, mate :D

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We used to play in trainers all the time as kids, on concrete there's not much other option. and I remember I had a pair of addidas cross trainers that I wore for a summer that I thought were loving awesome for playing football in. The main problem I found with trainers is that it's hard to get under the ball if they have a big wedge like sole to them.

the main thing is you're more likely to slip if you wear trainers on grass or astro turf, but on rock hard dry mud trainers are fine, and probably better on your feet than anything but astros.

Also you're not a real keeper until you've dived on concrete or tarmac. after saying, 'oh I'll go in goal but I won't be diving'.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Soulex, I'm late but yeah, good luck and get well soon.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Thanks for the insight. I ended up grabbing some Shin Pads and a pair of Sambas today. The facility is a roller hockey/volleyball/basketball/all purpose field.

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

cosmicjim posted:

The way I play stopper would give a real coach a heart attack.

I play stopper like David Luiz wearing beer goggles. My ankles and shins are always bloody but so are the oval office strikers who I go up against.

And I can't imagine what your feet must feel like after an hour or two of playing in loving trainers.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
My scoring celebration is to pull my shorts and underwear down and helicopter like a madman.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

The way I play stopper would give a real coach a heart attack.

Too soon

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Jsy got out of surgery. Apparently there was some complications.

What was suppaosed to be a short procedure ended up longer because my breathing slowed down to 6-8 breaths a minute while I was put under. I also apparently started to convulse.

Hurts worse than the other one did.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Soulex posted:

What was suppaosed to be a short procedure ended up longer because my breathing slowed down to 6-8 breaths a minute while I was put under. I also apparently started to convulse.

Glad you're OK man. Get well soon.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Yeesh. Good to hear you're okay now.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

If you keep this up, we're never going to be able to complain about our minor knocks or how I limp into work on some Mondays. Good luck in recovery, dogg

This Sunday I was complete and utter trash. I misplaced several passes directly to an opponent from short distance, and had a deflection that lead directly to a goal. Also my only attempt on goal was inches away from being a sick toe-poke from 12 yards.

Granted, I had scored in the previous week and had a great game, but gently caress if I can't stop thinking about how annoying that game was for me.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

TheBigAristotle posted:

Granted, I had scored in the previous week and had a great game, but gently caress if I can't stop thinking about how annoying that game was for me.
I hate remembering moments from games where I've played badly.

Soulex posted:

Didn't they have the data from your previous op or anything? Glad you're alive and hopefully you heal fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
Well I got in a fight this week during a game - was loving poo poo. I play as a defender, and an opposition striker was beaten to the ball by another defender and proceeded to completely lose his poo poo. The striker grabbed my teammate around the throat with both hands and started squeezing, so I ran in and pulled the guy off around the neck. He then turned and put me in a headlock, so I picked up his leg and dumped his fat poo poo on the ground. At this point I realized that I was being loving stupid and let go, just in time to get kicked in the back while on the ground by the opposition coach who'd decided he needed to run on. At this point the game has descended into general argy bargy and there's a bit of a rat pack around us wrestling on the ground.

Then the ref gave yellow cards to myself, the opposition striker, and a random defender on the other team who'd walked over after the brawl to see what the gently caress. Long story short, my back and shoulder blade is hosed from that kick, and we went on to lose.

Striker and I shook hands afterwards, apologized to each other. Coach is still a oval office however.