Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
For session IPAs I was actually pretty impressed with Sierra Nevada Nooner, but then again it's not really a style I've been exploring too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Y-Hat posted:

That's rough. Be that as it may, if I had to choose between staying in a state that wants to kill craft brewing or moving to a state with that beer selling restrictions but a regular environment for craft breweries to thrive, I'd go with the latter. It's better than going out of business.

Their statement about moving seemed more of a statement of solidarity towards breweries that could be affected than it's effect on them. From what I've read:

"Those who brew beyond the 2,000-keg limit only could sell up to another 20 percent of their product in cans, bottles or kegs. Any more than that, they would have to market through distributors."

The bill looks like it would have major implications towards breweries that are trying to grow past brewpub stages, but I'd be very surprised if 20% of CCB's sales were from the brewery. I'm not saying the law isn't lovely towards small breweries, just that I'm not seeing how CCB's business will be largely affected. Then again, I'm not privy to any specifics so what the gently caress do I know?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

danbanana posted:

Their statement about moving seemed more of a statement of solidarity towards breweries that could be affected than it's effect on them. From what I've read:

"Those who brew beyond the 2,000-keg limit only could sell up to another 20 percent of their product in cans, bottles or kegs. Any more than that, they would have to market through distributors."

The bill looks like it would have major implications towards breweries that are trying to grow past brewpub stages, but I'd be very surprised if 20% of CCB's sales were from the brewery. I'm not saying the law isn't lovely towards small breweries, just that I'm not seeing how CCB's business will be largely affected. Then again, I'm not privy to any specifics so what the gently caress do I know?

At the time of the article written, the rule was if you make over 2000 kegs of beer, you need to go through a distributor for absolutely anything you want to sell in your tasting room, draft or package. The bill after rewrite is still not good, but not nearly the catastrophe for Florida's breweries that it would have been before. If anything, the new law will only squeeze out new, small breweries. Anyone starting will need to start big so they instantly have the capacity to supply distribution.

That said, the bill as written is pretty unlikely to pass the House, which struck down the Senate's companion bill before rewrite pretty easily. To be honest, right now is possibly the only time I've been glad Florida's House is full of crazy Tea Partiers. They know that if they sign a piece of Job Killing Legislation, their jobs are gone.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I actually like Stone Go To :shrug:

It is definitely lighter body than All Day, and has very little malt character... but I'm kinda okay with that. Isn't it good to have variation within a style? Some people want hop water. I know I do sometimes. I'm just glad I'm not very sensitive to the onion character that people get from Go To and Enjoy By. I get hints of it, but it's not to the point where I don't want to drink them.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
So that BrewBokeh guy who takes nice pictures just put some up of Firestone Walker.

http://brewbokeh.com/place-firestonewalker.html

:aaaaa: That place is so clean, and stainless :stare: And then the barrels. Must....have.... more Velvet Merkin. :negative:

If you're lazy just the first shot alone looks like a beer utopia

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 30, 2014

nah
Mar 16, 2009

danbanana posted:

CCB wouldn't be really directly harmed by the bill, except that so many other breweries would be, which as a result will hurt our business.

Hey who is going to the de Garde anniversary celebration this Saturday in motherfucking Tillamook Oregon?! Because I will be there as they tap a keg of Brandy Hunahpu's. I'm pretty sure this is the furthest west CCB has been on tap anywhere. Until we are at the big fest at Anchorage in a few weeks :parrot:

I'll also be in Portland the rest of this week until Sunday, and I'm bringing some cool CCB bottles so yeah let's meet up somewhere goons :geno:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Also pretty pissed I missed a whole page of Session IPA chat. That's virtually the only thing I seek out now. I must have drank nine liters of Easy Jack in Denver a few weeks ago. :allears:

I agree with the overall sentiment regarding Stone Go To. I enjoyed it enough but it is too bitter and resiny for my taste buds. Easy Jack, like virtually everything Firestone Walker does, it's balanced perfectly. Big tropical grapefruit notes. Juicy even, despite being sub-5%. I think the style as a whole is going to see more improvement, much like Black IPAs. The difference being that Session IPAs are good and Black IPAs are poo poo trash garbage.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

[...] and Black IPAs are poo poo trash garbage.

Preach it.
Sooo excited that April is ending. And that I'll be able to drink CCB right as May starts.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Hey who is going to the de Garde anniversary celebration this Saturday in motherfucking Tillamook Oregon?! Because I will be there as they tap a keg of Brandy Hunahpu's. I'm pretty sure this is the furthest west CCB has been on tap anywhere. Until we are at the big fest at Anchorage in a few weeks :parrot:

I'll also be in Portland the rest of this week until Sunday, and I'm bringing some cool CCB bottles so yeah let's meet up somewhere goons :geno:

I'll be there. Riding the Brewvana bus out so I don't have to worry about driving or getting a hotel. Plus, bottle share on the way should be fun. I'll be the tall (not SUPER HASSLER-tall), average-looking, white guy - shouldn't be hard to spot. Sorry, I haven't planned my wardrobe just yet. Curious to see if it'll turn into a cluster or not, definitely looking forward to trying Brandy Huna either way though!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Black IPAs are poo poo trash garbage.

Spoken like a man who's never had Wookey Jack!

While we're on the subject of making GBS threads on sub-genres of IPA, gently caress white IPAs.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Midorka posted:

While we're on the subject of making GBS threads on sub-genres of IPA, gently caress white IPAs.

Hmm in that case, have you had Deschutes Chainbreaker?

Nothing comes close to Alpine Babyface for "session" IPA's though I still need to try Easy Jack. I'd also put Chainbreaker and Daytime at the top for that style.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

air- posted:

Nothing comes close to Alpine Babyface for "session" IPA's though I still need to try Easy Jack. I'd also put Chainbreaker and Daytime at the top for that style.

I've had Chainbreaker and I feel that it's just like 99% of white IPAs. I feel this way because they definitely use cascade hops which I feel completely clashes with any Belgian yeast that I've experienced it with.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

Or New Glarus Black Top. But those are pretty much the only good ones I've tried.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

crazyfish posted:

Or New Glarus Black Top. But those are pretty much the only good ones I've tried.

Oh oh, or Great Divide Yeti/Victory Storm King. I mean hoppy stouts count right? I know Storm King was based off Hop Devil.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Yeah Stone Go-To is loving awful. One of the best session IPAs I've had thus far is Funky Buddha Crusher, which is weird because I've not been a huge of FB outside of their gimmicky stuff.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I find Black IPAs inoffensive. Usually it's just a tradeoff of roastiness for hop presence. I personally don't get why you'd want to make that trade most of the time, but I don't get the hate.

air- posted:

Chiming into say I am not a huge fan of Chainbreaker. I really dislike the spices which I feel are overpowering. But then again, even the spiced/white IPAs I've had that I did like were the kind of beer that was good for me only for ~4 oz.

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

CCB wouldn't be really directly harmed by the bill, except that so many other breweries would be, which as a result will hurt our business.

How would this hurt other breweries? I honestly just don't understand. Is it that distributors cut into profit margins too much and they don't have the output to stay profitable?

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Hey who is going to the de Garde anniversary celebration this Saturday in motherfucking Tillamook Oregon?! Because I will be there as they tap a keg of Brandy Hunahpu's.

This is the only thing that makes me even a remotely sad that I am leaving for Japan on Saturday.

Midorka posted:

The only 3 of white IPAs I can think of are beers I like: Deschutes Chainbreaker, Anchorage White Galaxy, and Ecliptic/Stone White Asteroid. :shrug:

Midorka posted:

I mean hoppy stouts count right? I know Storm King was based off Hop Devil.

No. Mirror Mirror was based off of Mirror Pond, therefore...

I want to reverse this trend of making GBS threads on IPA sub-genres by saying that Wheat IPAs own. :colbert:

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Disappointing beer night last night.

First, we split a Bruery Rugbrod. It was decent, tasted totally different then we expected, and I'll be buying more next winter. This was not the disappointing part. I honestly thought this beer really was a great rye bread tasting beer.

Next, Mikkeller Funk(e)* , or whatever they're doing with the spelling.
Very "meh". It tasted like an immature sour/wild ale. Nothing about it seemed awesome. Seemed like a very average beer with an above average price tag. This beer kind of proves to me why I avoid the Mikkeller/Evil Twin section of my bottle shop usually.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Eejit posted:

How would this hurt other breweries? I honestly just don't understand. Is it that distributors cut into profit margins too much and they don't have the output to stay profitable?

Anytime you take on a middleman, your margins are going to be reduced. There's also added time expenditures dealing with said middleman.

But I imagine the biggest issue is this forces small-ish breweries to enter into a distribution system that is at best crowded and at worst corrupt. Instead of allowing your customers to buy direct from them, it requires them to have a point of sale that directly competes with every other brewery that their particular distributor handles. And that might include A-B or MillerCoors. Or, frankly, CCB. This isn't an ideal environment for a new name in the industry. Basically, the law forces them to compete more directly with competitors much earlier in their business life than they may have wanted to.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Session IPAs is a pretty disappointing trend. I finally had a bottle of Stone's Go-To last week and I didn't even want to finish it. It was just straight watery. All Day IPA is better, and I like that it comes in 15 packs of cans. Daytime was the best of them I've had by far but I only ever saw it for sale once, enjoyed the sixer and never seen it again in CT.

I was pleasantly surprised by Blue Point's Mosaic Session IPA. Mainly because Blue Point sucks and that beer didn't.

I'll just keep drinking pale ales and IPAs instead of a compromised version of both.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The law does nothing to serve the public. All it does is make some rich people richer by forcing growing businesses to deal with a 3rd party. It's a shameless moneygrab and people should be outraged by every politician who votes for it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

HatfulOfHollow posted:

The law does nothing to serve the public. All it does is make some rich people richer by forcing growing businesses to deal with a 3rd party. It's a shameless moneygrab and people should be outraged by every politician who votes for it.

Shut up, you work at Walmart

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Vertigo posted:

Mikkeller
a very average beer with an above average price tag
That's been my experience 90% of the time too.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

a worthy uhh posted:

Shut up, you work at Walmart

I don't actually work at Walmart. This is in reference to a post on that ISO:FT group on Facebook where some jagaloon posted a thread saying we should all be ashamed of ourselves for drinking BCBS because ABInBev is a huge corporation that uses money and political influence to crush competition. Meanwhile the person posting the thread works for Walmart. It quickly devolved into a ridiculous shitstorm.

But as silly as that was, he had a point. And if he phrased it better/not been a total moron it might have gone over better. Of course, it's also ISO:FT so probably not.

I both love and hate that group at the same time.

</clarification>
</over-explaining-jokes>

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Last night I drank a blueberry beer (Blue Paw Wild Blueberry, by Sea Dog Brewing Co) that was served with actual blueberries floating in it. Normally I detest putting fruit in/on beer but it was surprisingly delicious. Like drinking a blueberry muffin. Would recommend.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Welcome to Florida politics.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I don't actually work at Walmart. This is in reference to a post on that ISO:FT group on Facebook where some jagaloon posted a thread saying we should all be ashamed of ourselves for drinking BCBS because ABInBev is a huge corporation that uses money and political influence to crush competition. Meanwhile the person posting the thread works for Walmart. It quickly devolved into a ridiculous shitstorm.

But as silly as that was, he had a point. And if he phrased it better/not been a total moron it might have gone over better. Of course, it's also ISO:FT so probably not.

</clarification>
</over-explaining-jokes>

No, I'm pretty sure you're employed by Walmart, Inc.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

their lil poopers posted:

Welcome to politics.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

HatfulOfHollow posted:

</clarification>
</over-explaining-jokes>

I dont give a drat who makes the beer as long as it tastes good. Bravo to Goose for still making good beer (except for the poo poo that AB makes)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Munkaboo posted:

I dont give a drat who makes the beer as long as it tastes good. Bravo to Goose for still making good beer (except for the poo poo that AB makes)

I do care, because I'm sure there is an abuse of the system going on here when AB-funded distributors are funding legislators to pass laws that are clearly designed to benefit one specific party.

But I also think that BCBS is a fantastic beer and Goose Island, as a brewery, is not some evil force or "sellout" (quoting the ISO:FT guy again) that should be punished for being a business that grew enough to solicit a buy offer from the biggest beer conglomerate in the country.

You have to think about this logically. GI's production is .002% of ABInBev's total. The profit they contribute? A fraction of that. Is every dollar from BCBS sale funding hosed up legislation in Florida? No. Would this still be happening if GI was still an independent company? Yes.

So I'm going to keep drinking BCBS, and focus more on the real issue: Florida legislature being bought by Florida distributors. That's something that can be tackled and real change made, rather than impotent rage against an associated brewer half the country away.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cervixalot posted:

Rum Zukhov sounds delicious.

I had Rum BA Ten Fidy at FOBAB last year and thought it was pretty drat good. Are there any other good Rum BA beers out there? They seem pretty few and far between...

Rum BA beer chat: Thanks to my little sister, I have 9 bottles of New England Brewing Company's Attempted Redrum - their barleywine (Premeditated Murder) aged in rum barrels. The first bottle I had was absolutely amazing, rum very well balanced with the base barleywine without getting that 'rum and coke' flavor profile that other posters mentioned. Will absolutely be up for trading some of this a little bit later if anyone's interested - I hadn't posted it in the trade thread yet because I have no clue yet what I'm ISO and have spent too drat much money on beer lately anyhow.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Podima posted:

Rum BA beer chat: Thanks to my little sister, I have 9 bottles of New England Brewing Company's Attempted Redrum - their barleywine (Premeditated Murder) aged in rum barrels. The first bottle I had was absolutely amazing, rum very well balanced with the base barleywine without getting that 'rum and coke' flavor profile that other posters mentioned. Will absolutely be up for trading some of this a little bit later if anyone's interested - I hadn't posted it in the trade thread yet because I have no clue yet what I'm ISO and have spent too drat much money on beer lately anyhow.

You're in NJ close to Philly, right? Save on shipping and let's trade in person.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

HatfulOfHollow posted:

</clarification>
</over-explaining-jokes>

The ISO:FT group is insane. There's some thread from yesterday where the OP is asking about the reputation of a trader and it turns out that the OP is only willing to pay cash for beer because he refuses to use banks, credit cards or paypal period - which he goes on to try and justify.

At this point, I'm only a member to watch and laugh at the carnage.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

All the Facebook beer trading groups are so terrible. People constantly posting pics of what they are considering buying and asking for opinions annoys the hell out of me. Are these people just hanging out at the liquor store waiting for replies? Just google it dude!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

LeafHouse posted:

All the Facebook beer trading groups are so terrible. People constantly posting pics of what they are considering buying and asking for opinions annoys the hell out of me. Are these people just hanging out at the liquor store waiting for replies? Just google it dude!

Or you know, ask one of the dudes working there.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

a worthy uhh posted:

You're in NJ close to Philly, right? Save on shipping and let's trade in person.

Sure! I'm like a hour and a half out from Philly (Somerset area - nowhere near as close as Midorka) but we can definitely work something out for meeting in the middle since I go to Lambertville/New Hope pretty often too. Oddly enough I'll actually be in Philly this weekend for a tailgate/bachelor party, so if you're super excited about it we can work something out - either way, PM me whenever!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

LeafHouse posted:

The whole thing is a mess of misinformation and junk in general. I just look at them for laughs, but getting something useful from these groups never happens.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

air- posted:

The whole thing is a mess of misinformation and junk in general. I just look at them for laughs, but getting something useful from these groups never happens.

ISO, 4:1:
VSB
DB Huna
BVDL 14
Fou Foune 11

FT:
[Picture of one bottle of Fuzzy]

Aumuller
Jun 25, 2009

The horror..
Is anyone here going to Copenhagen Beer Celebration this weekend? They just released the beers available at each session and I lurk here a bit, but it's still a bit overwhelming with all these beers - the past two years it's been my experience that since the beers are free, I get drunk way too fast and lose track, so I want to drink the best beers first this time. I've looked at Ratebeer for a while, but if a knowledgeable goon can point me to a few beers I should go for I would appreciate it! :)

http://taplist.net/cbc/session/blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Aumuller posted:

Is anyone here going to Copenhagen Beer Celebration this weekend? They just released the beers available at each session and I lurk here a bit, but it's still a bit overwhelming with all these beers - the past two years it's been my experience that since the beers are free, I get drunk way too fast and lose track, so I want to drink the best beers first this time. I've looked at Ratebeer for a while, but if a knowledgeable goon can point me to a few beers I should go for I would appreciate it! :)

http://taplist.net/cbc/session/blue

Me = jealous.

There's a ton of stuff there from some well-respected U.S. breweries, many of whom don't distro. Cycle/Peg's, Boneyard, and Funky Buddha would all be near the top of my list, as would Jester King's CdT. If you've never had Sucaba, make sure you do that. Cigar City's offerings are nice. And on the European side, I don't know how common it is by you, but Freigeist's rhubarb gose is the best gose I've ever had by far.