Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Drimble Wedge posted:

I'm beginning to think that there isn't supposed to be any continuity in Jane's World, and that she's just throwing out little snippets of stories to run for a few days and then bringing in another -- just little vignettes, or of a more novella or short story, say. I mean, there was that one woman (don't ask me who) was bodyguarding someone in a mountain cabin and the guardee started stripping off; something with the coffee shop; something with the newspaper; something with Jane trying to not be outed to her mother...and I think there were some guys watching TV at some point. :psyduck:

Don't forget the woman they brought forward from 1968 and the one that was abducted by aliens and then returned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Is Jane's World available anywhere in archive or book format? I like it when it's actually telling a story, but I can't follow it when it's blipping all over the place.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy tries to keep it in America. :patriot: (February 8, 1927)

Peanuts (May 2, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean decides to Cancerwife the hell out of the resolution that we hopefully all see coming now.

Popeye

Rip Haywire: It just dawned on me that he's buying crappy ingredients from Mister Haney. :neckbeard:

Pogo (May 1, 1956)

Out Our Way (November 14-15, 1924)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Hey, at least he let her live.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

I must admit I didn't see that coming at all. :suspense:

At long loving last, a lesbian couple that's actually going somewhere. The prophecies have finally come true!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (May 2, 1967)

Axemaniac?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (May 2, 1967)

No comic without lesbians.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I just realized that even though we always mock Funky Winkerbean for suggesting that Les could make money off the completely mundane story of his wife dying from cancer... that's exactly what happened when Funky Winkerbean, the comic, did.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Evil Mastermind posted:

You made me realize that nobody's posted Ham Shears in a while, so I went to GoComics to see what's been happening and

Am I the only person who finds this amazingly charming and sweet? :3: Jill and Other Jill, sittin' in a tree...

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Haha, oh my god those sideburns.

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

Note the silhouetted beer can.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

Both of those songs came out on the same record. In 1989.

Sideburns were not cool in 1989. Also Phil first appeared something like fifty years before that record came out. Get hosed, Gilchrist.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Who wants a Mark Trail being eaten by a bear avatar?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

My God, he's actually going to look into PHIL FUMBLE'S TRAGIC PAST

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

So Mark Trail's going to come in and punch him any minute now, right? Right?!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

I know what Spidey's thinking and that's, "Lesbians in every comic?"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

You have got to be loving kidding me.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean decides to Cancerwife the hell out of the resolution that we hopefully all see coming now.

I've forgotten what might be significant about her family members. If only there were some kind of introductory panel to remind me again.

I notice that the previous day's strip addressed my plot concern in a really confusing way. They bus stop was 40 minutes away from a parent or something?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Afraid not friend. We aren't going to see a joke any time soon. Actually, that wouldn't be so bad except that we're going to get a schmaltzy Gilchrist story instead.

edit: Evans has never been on a bus or in a field.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

:stare: I guess that's one way to wrap up a plotline.

Big Ben Bolt

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

For such a nostalgia buff, Gilchrist is loving terrible at being aware of what year anything happened in. I can't even figure out whether Retro Phil there is supposed to look like a stereotypical bad teen from the 1950s, the 1970s, or some unholy mixture of the two. But if he was going around with hair and sideburns like that in 1989 when this song came out, no wonder he's hiding miserably in the shadows while others ponder his worthlessness.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

What kind of flimsy rags is Katherine wearing that makes her think everyone is out to ogle her?

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

Nothing to see here, just a 14 year old conducting a puppet show.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

He's not even trying for continuity. Why even say his name is Phil, why not introduce an entirely new character, what the hell.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Probably Magic posted:

He's not even trying for continuity.
I'm pretty ok with him not using NONE OF YOU ARE SAFE Phil Fumble. If for nothing else than the strip is already so loving horrifying.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

You loving idiots.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Probably Magic posted:

He's not even trying for continuity. Why even say his name is Phil, why not introduce an entirely new character, what the hell.
Because this is his comic now and anyone who enjoyed classic or, heaven forbid, Jerry Scott's Nancy had better strap the gently caress in cause Captain Gilchrist is taking this thing for a spin into Wholesomeness Country kicking and screaming.

Tom Petty, man. The quintessential teen rebel soundtrack, for sure.

Calaveron posted:

No comic without lesbians.
Hey, only four years until Marcie.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Ew, Gil's watching more old people TV. They only show those commercials during old people shows.

Retail

Yeah, I'd say you really picked a bad decade to be in department store retail management. Your counterpart at Wal-Mart is probably profiting at your expense though.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

I think that game would be too advanced for Skip, actually.

Dustin

Dustin is doing more mother-in-law jokes than Moose and Molly, who has an actual mother-in-law as a main cast member.

On the Fastrack

Shameless bribery

Safe Havens

I had a pet chicken for a while. It was too fat too fly but it could easily jump 2-3x its height. Also I wouldn't let it wander around the house unless you like cleaning up gross bird crap.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Who keeps flowers and water in their invaluable ming vase?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Allen Wren posted:

Both of those songs came out on the same record. In 1989.

Sideburns were not cool in 1989. Also Phil first appeared something like fifty years before that record came out. Get hosed, Gilchrist.

Also, if he was a teenager in 1989 then he's significantly younger than Miss Three Rocks 1978. She must be at least ten years older than him.

Baby Blues

Barney Google and Snuffy Smith

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Aardmania posted:

Nothing to see here, just a 14 year old conducting a puppet show.
*13 year old :smithicide:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Evil Mastermind posted:

You made me realize that nobody's posted Ham Shears in a while, so I went to GoComics to see what's been happening and

I didn't call this out in the thread, but I totally called this way back in the Boss/Ingrid date arc.

Also:

Looks like the rocketship's exhaust trail is in the shape of the Horde symbol. Couldn't expect Amend to go without a WoW reference.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

The intruder left fingerprints on the phone. The police matched the prints to a known burglar.
Well only humans and apes have fingerprints so uh...

Slylock Fox

They're animals. Maybe an elephant just lifted up the entire shack with its super-strength. Or some woodpecker drilled a hole through the wall and flew in and out with the tools. Or some animal trans-dimensionally phase-shifted inside. Animals have all sorts of crazy powers.

Moose and Molly

I'm surprised Chester listened to Moose's advice, and actually took the initiative to see a marriage counselor.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

bonestructure posted:

Am I the only person who finds this amazingly charming and sweet? :3: Jill and Other Jill, sittin' in a tree...

Eh, I just feel it's incredibly out of place for a strip like Ham shears. When the strip first started, everyone was all " Oh they must be dating" because obviously if two 20 something women are in an apartment together, it must mean they're gay!
Although, honestly it feels like the writer went " gently caress, I have no idea where to take this strip now" and just lost steam. That diamond story lasted way to loving long.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox

They're animals. Maybe an elephant just lifted up the entire shack with its super-strength. Or some woodpecker drilled a hole through the wall and flew in and out with the tools. Or some animal trans-dimensionally phase-shifted inside. Animals have all sorts of crazy powers.
It's going to be a raccoon digging a tunnel, isn't it? Or maybe a raccoon broke into the foreman's home, stole the key, looted the shed and replaced the key. Or simply that the key was copied at a convenient time earlier, by a raccoon. Or an insider job involving a raccoon splitting the profit from the theft.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

:stare:

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Poil posted:

It's going to be a raccoon digging a tunnel, isn't it? Or maybe a raccoon broke into the foreman's home, stole the key, looted the shed and replaced the key. Or simply that the key was copied at a convenient time earlier, by a raccoon. Or an insider job involving a raccoon splitting the profit from the theft.
Pretty sure it's actually the lifting thing since the shed's floor is bare dirt.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Eh, I just feel it's incredibly out of place for a strip like Ham shears. When the strip first started, everyone was all " Oh they must be dating" because obviously if two 20 something women are in an apartment together, it must mean they're gay!
Although, honestly it feels like the writer went " gently caress, I have no idea where to take this strip now" and just lost steam. That diamond story lasted way to loving long.

I would have to agree with you here. Especially regarding the diamond heist. That, to me, almost killed the strip. When Ham Shears was first posted, it was really pretty funny, and (I don't want to use the term "lighthearted") had a fairly quirky/funny plot. That changed with the diamond thingy. So yeah, maybe the cartoonist was like "poo poo, this is really starting to flatline... we need to change it up", and BAM! lesbians. Which, honestly, might just be the shot in the arm it needs. As long as it doesn't go all "Jane's World-y", or "DtWOF-y". I guess we'll see.

Speaking of which...

Jane's World

Whoops... :vince:

Non Sequitur

Cleveland streets are like a loving warzone due to this past winter's intensity. My two older kids who live up there have completely destroyed two brand new tires, and one rim by nailing some of these craters. And I mean craters. I've dodged a few that were at least 2 feet across and 18 inches deep that were surrounded by hubcaps, and pieces of wheel. :argh:

Heavenly Nostrils is still a day late.

Kliban

Yes, yes it is. I don't know if I should :nws: that or not.

E: #whoawow I just noticed. No "Kliban" signature. Huh.

9 Chickweed Lane 4/30/2003

:words: Of course, if you cover her mouth long enough, and hard enough, she won't talk forever. :v:

Zits

Teen_Appetites, v3.0, R2, Build 2.4x1018

Kevin & Kell

The strip's got it all today. Lesbians, lesbian animals, lesbian animals of different species, and conifer genocide. :suicide:

Save us Nemi!

Uh.. ok? To me she looks a little more wasted rather than in love, Lise.

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 30, 2014

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I would have to agree with you here. Especially regarding the diamond heist. That, to me, almost killed the strip. When Ham Shears was first posted, it was really pretty funny, and (I don't want to use the term "lighthearted") had a fairly quirky/funny plot. That changed with the diamond thingy. So yeah, maybe the cartoonist was like "poo poo, this is really starting to flatline... we need to change it up", and BAM! lesbians. Which, honestly, might just be the shot in the arm it needs. As long as it doesn't go all "Jane's World-y", or "DtWOF-y". I guess we'll see.

I guess it doesn't feel that way to me because there was so much foreshadowing of it, especially during the date with Boss arc. I was glad to see Madeline Queripel didn't go with the standard romantic comedy trope of "Jill yearns silently and endlessly for Ingrid instead of just saying something" and instead had Jill actually just speak up and get it out in the open. But yes, the diamond story was pretty slow and pointless. Still like Ham Shears, though. :) I'm curious to see where she goes with it now.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

The strip's got it all today. Lesbians, lesbian animals, lesbian animals of different species, and conifer genocide. :suicide:
I guess Rhino horn really is an aphrodisiac. Nudge nudge, wink wink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

• Locked thread