Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CJacobs posted:

Seriously though the name censoring is just yet another tiny piece of the "this series is rated T now" jigsaw puzzle and it sucks.

You're right, censoring CUNTMASTER69ZORCH is absolutely what is killing Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

sushibandit posted:

Is there anywhere to farm Soul Vessels in NG? Too many builds to try, not enough vessels.

There's a corpse in The Memory of Orro that has one and can be farmed using a bonfire aesthetic. The bonefire behind the king's door in the forest of giants can reset the memory levels, so throw an aesthetic on that then head to The Memory of Orro (the tree behind where you fight The Pursuer.)

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Holy poo poo, Harvest Valley is terrible. Everything else so far, okay, but that place. Limited area for movement and ambush after ambush. Worse than Blighttown.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

kirbysuperstar posted:

You're right, censoring CUNTMASTER69ZORCH is absolutely what is killing Dark Souls.

Thankfully PizzaLawyer420 is still valid.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tasoth posted:

Holy poo poo, Harvest Valley is terrible. Everything else so far, okay, but that place. Limited area for movement and ambush after ambush. Worse than Blighttown.

You'll like the gutter. :getin:

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
A word of warning to invaders/NPC killers: you are going to pay for your sins really loving hard in NG+. I can't go 5 minutes without getting invaded by a blue sentinel with either a sunlight blade or a crystal magic weapon. If you have done invasions and want to actually make any progress in NG+, you're gonna want to make sure you have great magic barrier and the stats to use it.

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

Illegal Username posted:

PUNCHMASTER was born without a nose.

He will be the bro'est sunbro.

Sorry sunbro, but you're PUNCH****** to everyone else.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Because censoring Knight Horus, for example, into K***ht **rus is totally fine.

Incidentally Throbbin Wood and Nat Digger is totally okay.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

By the way, another question: Is there any viable equipment or progression for somebody who wants to do All Magic, Ever?

I know the Black Witch's Staff can cast all non-pyromancy magic, and then you get a pyromancy glove to go with it and you're good to go, but that staff is pretty close to endgame. Was wondering if there was any earlier equipment that could also suffice, or should I just use miracles or something till I can get the staff?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Talibananas posted:

PUNCH followed by any six-letter curse word is still great. Look out invaders here comes beefcake chosen undead PUNCHFUCKER.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah actually it is. The ban word list is a byproduct of other players seeing your character's name instead of your account name: Through GFWL or Live or PSN, there are already systems in place to prevent offensive crap (which people get around easily). Since they can't monitor it, they took the easy way out to preserve the T rating and avoid offending people's sensibilities. In case you hadn't noticed there's no parsing on the ban word list so anything that contains the letters 'nig' (as in, Knight) in that order is gonna get censored. That's stupid and they were lazy about it.

edit:

Jack Trades posted:

Because censoring Knight Horus, for example, into K***ht **rus is totally fine.

Incidentally Throbbin Wood and Nat Digger is totally okay.

This guy said it better.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 30, 2014

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Volt Catfish posted:

By the way, another question: Is there any viable equipment or progression for somebody who wants to do All Magic, Ever?

I know the Black Witch's Staff can cast all non-pyromancy magic, and then you get a pyromancy glove to go with it and you're good to go, but that staff is pretty close to endgame. Was wondering if there was any earlier equipment that could also suffice, or should I just use miracles or something till I can get the staff?

You have two hands with 6 weapon slots total. I'm sure you'll figure out some way to have both a staff and a chime equipped.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Yeah actually it is. In case you hadn't noticed there's no parsing on the ban word list so anything that contains the letters 'nig' (as in, Knight) in that order is gonna get censored. That's stupid and they were lazy about it. The ban word list is a byproduct of other players seeing your character's name instead of your account name: Through GFWL or Live or PSN, there are already systems in place to prevent offensive crap (which people get around easily). Since they can't monitor it, they took the easy way out to preserve the T rating and avoid offending people's sensibilities.

Why does it even matter?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I thought you were just allowed to say "online interactions are not rated" and hand-wave it off.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Why does it even matter?

Because it turns normal words into a tourettes-fest? It's not like they need to do anything about it right this second or the whole game is ruined, it's just that saying it isn't lazy or a problem is untrue.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Guys, why are there dozens of bloodstains underneath Majula near that contraption thingy?:ohdear:

Also how did someone manage to die in the air?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The ENB mods on Nexus are beginning to enter Poe's Law territory.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
How does the soul memory thingy work for matchmaking in the bloodbro arena? I decided to give it a try on my latest character and at SM150k the first person I fought had a resonant weapon washing pole and an avelyn, only a couple of people I've fought since have had non-endgame quality equipment. Is the only practical way to get those cracked orbs on NG really by farming from enemies?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Raygereio posted:

Guys, why are there dozens of bloodstains underneath Majula near that contraption thingy?:ohdear:

Also how did someone manage to die in the air?

The bloodstains below are because people 1. got tired of bein' taken for a sucker and 2. underestimated the miracle-fu mastery of a holy snake oil saleswoman.

The bloodstains above are a mystery, but probably involve hacking.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I decided to kill the NPCs that have items I want right off the bat, and NG+ will be the "real" playthrough. Gimme that Dragon Chime, old man. No need to get up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Welp, I'm at 1.08 million SM and have only just beaten Smelter Demon. Maybe I'm farming too much! :downs:

Seems like 900k+ SM on NG is what it took for red phantoms to finally start happening, though. I just had my second ever invasion.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm currently reading through the thread but am about 3000 posts behind the curve. I have a question though, I was just bumming around the tower of flame helping some bros do some damage when I got summoned into a world where all the enemies did a billion times more damage and had about double health. That and there were 2 separate invaders but they were just chilling, there was no '****sucker420supreme has invaded'

Can anyone shed any light on what went on here??

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

88h88 posted:

I'm currently reading through the thread but am about 3000 posts behind the curve. I have a question though, I was just bumming around the tower of flame helping some bros do some damage when I got summoned into a world where all the enemies did a billion times more damage and had about double health. That and there were 2 separate invaders but they were just chilling, there was no '****sucker420supreme has invaded'

Bonfire Ascetics amp up the enemies in an area. Don't know about the invader situation

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I really dont think it's a wonderful boss design choice to have such a small area of maneuvering and walking for the final boss of the Iron Keep. At least he's kinda predictable in his actions.

Is the zweihander handy to keep around for long? or is there another mega-sword I should look forward to/invest in?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

88h88 posted:

Bonfire ascetic. It was ng+ level. Also those were NPCs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

88h88 posted:

The person who summoned you had advanced the game to a higher NG+ either by playing through the game or using bonfire ascetics (more likely). This game adds NPC red phantoms on higher NG+ levels, they don't get an X has invaded message or anything.

efb

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Al-Saqr posted:

I really dont think it's a wonderful boss design choice to have such a small area of maneuvering and walking for the final boss of the Iron Keep. At least he's kinda predictable in his actions.

Is the zweihander handy to keep around for long? or is there another mega-sword I should look forward to/invest in?

As a magic user, I just felt bad for him.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Man, Darkdiving is no joke.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Al-Saqr posted:

The Black Knight Greatsword is a what I'm currently using, and it's served me pretty well so far.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

quote:

:words: bonfire ascetics

Thanks chaps, it was confusing running up to those massive knights and doing gently caress all damage compared to usual. Man it kinda sucks you can get pulled along for something like that when you're not really that good at the game, luckily you don't lose anything though.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Talibananas posted:

:laffo: seriously?

Gesture>Pumped up

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The easiest way to fix censoring issue would be to let players chose if they want censoring or not.
If you want to see everyone's proper names turn it off, if you're disturbed by NiggaFucker420's everywhere turn it on.
That would barely require any programming at all.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

The Dark Souls-Doom 3 crossover I always wanted :allears:

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

This is a joke, isn't it.

It can't possibly be real.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

verybad posted:

This is a joke, isn't it.
It can't possibly be real.
I didn't think it was bad until I realized where those screenshots were taken.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Someone on Reddit figured out how to remove name censoring:
"If you want an even easier time, copy Game\NGWord\Chinese\win32OnlyNgWord.bin or Game\NGWord\Korean\win32OnlyNgWord.bin over the others, as those two languages have empty word lists.

http://mod.gib.me/darksouls2/ngword/ contains the full word censor list for all languages, for reference.
"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Asterix's over peoples names isn't a huge deal. These souls I summon can loving do their job and gently caress off back to their world. No one cares about your stupid clever name.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Oh boy, I always wanted Tomb of the Giant's to be an entire game!

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Oh come on, I'm paying you a human effigy to open that portal, at least let me get straight to the boss. :mad:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Oh come on, I'm paying you a human effigy to open that portal, at least let me get straight to the boss. :mad:

just go do the one in shaded woods(location), it's the easiest. Also you're going to kill the enemies to extinction eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

havenwaters posted:

just go do the one in shaded woods(location), it's the easiest. Also you're going to kill the enemies to extinction eventually.

I made the mistake of going into the third portal the first few times. loving HAVEL THE ROCK KEPT SMASHING ME.