Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Well I finally got aroudn to watching Jamie rape Cersie (been moving), and I have to say, I expected worse, given the outrage all over the internet. My wife agreed that it was pretty tame.

Her: "Wasn't that bad, even if it was done more tastefully in the book."

Me: "Well, as tastefully as a crippled child-murderer can gently caress his sister in a church on top of their murdered son."

You guys sound like you have fun.

It was pretty cool seeing things like Darth Maul and not knowing what the gently caress it was really about. Not sure about his design, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Me: "Well, as tastefully as a crippled child-murderer can gently caress his sister in a church on top of their murdered son."

It was attempted child murder, tyvm.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Well I finally got aroudn to watching Jamie rape Cersie (been moving), and I have to say, I expected worse, given the outrage all over the internet. My wife agreed that it was pretty tame.

Her: "Wasn't that bad, even if it was done more tastefully in the book."

Can your wife tell us precisely how you tastefully rape someone?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

rypakal posted:

No, but I believe these court transcripts from New Mexico v. Martin will, Your Honor.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

rypakal posted:

If it’s a tasteless rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Urdnot Fire posted:

If it’s a tasteless rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

I heard it too, from a doctor, I believe. Or someone really familiar with rape.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
So, why are you guys not sperging out about the Night's King reveal done by HBO?

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
It's not a spoiler if Winds never comes out.

rypakal posted:

tell us precisely how you tastefully rape someone?

I'm sure there was an episode of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy that dealt with that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Daktari posted:

So, why are you guys not sperging out about the Night's King reveal done by HBO?

Oh we did. I believe there were a few Darth Maul jokes and maybe one about rape or lemoncakes. Bookreaders embrace new material you see.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I don't get the whole deal with the Night's King reveal. That the Others turn humans into Others is basically "Renly is gay" level speculation that this point, given that we know that Others take Craster's sons and we know that Craster's wife refers to the people coming to take the baby as Craster's sons. I dunno, I have been assuming for at least 13 years (since I read ASOS) that the Others turn humans into Others.

Referring to him as the Night's King is more interesting, but we have no idea what that means. It could be anything from "that is a cool and ominous sounding name for a big evil dude" to "pact theory is totally correct you guys!" to "the Night's King, after being defeated by the Starks and the NW, fled north to join the Others" which, while new information, is not particularly earth-shattering. I mean, once you accept that humans can turn into Others, the idea that the Others are led by the Night's King is kind of a cool tie-in to a previously subtle hint but doesn't really change anything about them or what they do or anything. Does it matter who leads them if they're still making deadguy art and raising corpses? It might if the whole "pact theory" is true but we have no real confirmation on that, and so far there's no evidence besides our faith in GRRM's ability to write a good villain that they're anything other than implacably, inexplicably evil necromantic ice elves.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Could you change your username to DAD LOST MY HAND? iPods are an anachronism to the world of HBO's Game of Thrones. False hands made of solid gold, however, are perfectly fine.

Was Jaime's hand actually solid gold, or just golden? Pure gold would be pretty damned soft.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Man I shouldn't watch the show. I'd forgotten how much I liked the Hound.

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007
So with the Night's King thing being revealed so far ahead of the book plot... I've decided the HBO show is just GRRMs way out of having his legacy tarnished by never finishing the series. He's had writers block and procrastinated like crazy for years. Pretty sure this is just his way of not having to deal with that anymore, giving the ending to the HBO writers, and letting them fill in any blanks he can't between the end of book 5 and the eventual end of the series.

We'll never see the end of the print series. We all knew it, and apparently GRRM has decided that, too.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I think it would have been better if like, Jaime bent Cersei over the table and Cersei shoved Joffrey's corpse under her midsection to kind of prop up her rear end to give Jaime more leverage for his thrusting and then I guess he could have just jizzed in Joffrey's mouth since he's dead and wont care anyway and then no worry about pregnancy

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Why does it seem to be such a given that the Other who changed the baby is the Nights King? There isn't really any indication of it having a link to the Nights Watch in the past. I mean it makes sense, but there's very little to support it.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
The HBO synopsis for the episode directly stated it.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
To be clear it just called him the Night's King, but we don't know if he's THE Night's King or if it's just a separate title.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

unlimited shrimp posted:

I think it would have been better if like, Jaime bent Cersei over the table and Cersei shoved Joffrey's corpse under her midsection to kind of prop up her rear end to give Jaime more leverage for his thrusting and then I guess he could have just jizzed in Joffrey's mouth since he's dead and wont care anyway and then no worry about pregnancy

Sticky princes for the sticky prince.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
nah the rape scene should have just zoomed out to show tywin watching, and nodding satisfyingly

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I don't get the whole deal with the Night's King reveal. That the Others turn humans into Others is basically "Renly is gay" level speculation that this point, given that we know that Others take Craster's sons and we know that Craster's wife refers to the people coming to take the baby as Craster's sons. I dunno, I have been assuming for at least 13 years (since I read ASOS) that the Others turn humans into Others.

Referring to him as the Night's King is more interesting, but we have no idea what that means. It could be anything from "that is a cool and ominous sounding name for a big evil dude" to "pact theory is totally correct you guys!" to "the Night's King, after being defeated by the Starks and the NW, fled north to join the Others" which, while new information, is not particularly earth-shattering. I mean, once you accept that humans can turn into Others, the idea that the Others are led by the Night's King is kind of a cool tie-in to a previously subtle hint but doesn't really change anything about them or what they do or anything. Does it matter who leads them if they're still making deadguy art and raising corpses? It might if the whole "pact theory" is true but we have no real confirmation on that, and so far there's no evidence besides our faith in GRRM's ability to write a good villain that they're anything other than implacably, inexplicably evil necromantic ice elves.

It doesn't really change anything, what matters is the fact that it's new info. We've been talking about this for years but poo poo, it's real now, the show is catching up and they'll finish before the books do (if they do).

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

I Own Soulz posted:

Why does it seem to be such a given that the Other who changed the baby is the Nights King? There isn't really any indication of it having a link to the Nights Watch in the past. I mean it makes sense, but there's very little to support it.
Viewer's guide called him the Night's King but it was quickly deleted.
He has a crown.
One shot is composed such that he's the 13th of 13 Others on screen. The Night's King was the 13th Lord Commander and reigned for 13 years.

I also find it interesting that the viewer's guide refers to the location as a "city".

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Elman posted:

It doesn't really change anything, what matters is the fact that it's new info. We've been talking about this for years but poo poo, it's real now, the show is catching up and they'll finish before the books do (if they do).

Wouldn't it be just lovely if the show got cancelled as well?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

OhYeah posted:

Wouldn't it be just lovely if the show got cancelled as well?

This would kind of be the ideal ending at this point. The bad thread wins.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

unlimited shrimp posted:

I also find it interesting that the viewer's guide refers to the location as a "city".

Also not really a surprise. Isn't Valyria or whatever supposedly some kind of radioactive city now?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Franz von Dada posted:

Oh poo poo I better go watch the new episodes fast before everything is revealed

SPOILERS GUYS GEEZ :qq:

Quick everyone pile into the TV thread and start very seriously getting angry about them being such assholes because something exists

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

IRQ posted:

Also not really a surprise. Isn't Valyria or whatever supposedly some kind of radioactive city now?
I think so. Or at least a super taboo ruin. Maybe it's like the Forbidden Zone in Planet of the Apes and weird wizards scare people away from it to remain hidden :v:

But it surprised me because it seemed like another thing that wasn't explicit in the show. It certainly didn't look like any sort of city, just a big ice flow and a spooky altar. But the Viewer's Guide describes it explicitly as a "city of ice".

I think it would have been a safe assumption that the Others had a city or cities, but the books never touched on it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It looked like an ice fort of sorts, at the very least.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Referring to him as the Night's King is more interesting, but we have no idea what that means. It could be anything from...
Or it could be that HBOWebpageDude made an actual mistake.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

wukkar posted:

That's a very specific mistake.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Tyrion runs away with jon's mother Penny the dwarf

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jeffrey posted:

Tyrion runs away with jon's mother Penny the dwarf

to where whores go. Turns out Brienne knew all along.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Bran puts down his roots north of the Wall.

IRQ posted:

to where whores go. Turns out Brienne knew all along.
Only because Pod told her.

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

wukkar posted:

With there being only a few books left in theory and with what little we know about the Others it makes more sense that it actually was the Night's King because that creates a link with the Starks and moves the whole thing forward. You can Westeros.org "IT'S NOT CANON IT'S NOT CANON(WE ARE ALSO ON THE PAYROLL)" all you want but they dropped a cool hint and I think everybody is just desperate for anything.

On a side note I can't wait till the series is over so I can go to a con and make GRRM sign the DVD's of the show.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

IRQ posted:

I always read it as being buried in a massive volcanic disaster, and the ocean around it still being filled with lava.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gone Baptizin posted:

With there being only a few books left in theory and with what little we know about the Others it makes more sense that it actually was the Night's King because that creates a link with the Starks and moves the whole thing forward. You can Westeros.org "IT'S NOT CANON IT'S NOT CANON(WE ARE ALSO ON THE PAYROLL)" all you want but they dropped a cool hint and I think everybody is just desperate for anything.

On a side note I can't wait till the series is over so I can go to a con and make GRRM sign the DVD's of the show.

I'm pretty sure GRRM dies before the show ends, never mind his adaptation.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Could you change your username to DAD LOST MY HAND? iPods are an anachronism to the world of HBO's Game of Thrones. False hands made of solid gold, however, are perfectly fine.

Was Jaime's hand actually solid gold, or just golden? Pure gold would be pretty damned soft.

Jaime says on the show that it's gilded steel.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Whereas in the books it was solid gold with mother of pearl fingernails.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Show writers cleaning up for George's inability to write plausible dimensions. Especially age. He had a tough time with that particular dimension for some reason.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Never forget the 700 foot high, 300 mile long wall of ice. That people fight off of somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

PittTheElder posted:

Never forget the 700 foot high, 300 mile long wall of ice. That people fight off of somehow.

That always bothered me. I wondered how wildlings fired arrows up 700 feet with primitive bows and they still could kill a man but something something words words physics something Ren Faire something

Let me tell you about my Warhammer figures.