Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Stultus posted:

Have any Long Island, NY goons played at the Twin Rinks at Eisenhower Park? It looks fantastic, but I haven't heard any of the adult leagues taking games there. Is it just being used as a facility for programs, and junior teams like the Gulls?

Is it even open yet? I thought it was supposed to open later this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
We lost our first playoff game after going 12-0 during the regular season. Tonight we got to play another playoff game with a faint glimmer or getting to the championship if we kept winning.

I knew we were in trouble when we started the game with 5 skaters.

There was talk about cancelling the entire game and just getting some of their players on our team to make it fun. For some stupid reason their captain suggested "Let's see what it's like after the 1st" and our captain agreed to it.

I don't know why he did but we mostly called him an idiot.

He looked a little smart when after the 1st we were up 3-0. I got us started with a coast-to-coast goal that went 5-hole through one of his own players, our other goals were some pretty decent back and forths where their team seemed to be coasting.

Of course we ran out of gas midway through the 2nd and they started to get back into it, but we went into the 3rd with a 3-2 lead and we had one of our guys show up because he thought the game started at 10:45.

They got 2 quick goals and somehow with a couple minutes left we get a flukey goal to tie it all up. Thankfully our goalie played lights out in the shootout, and really throughout the entire game, and we got the win in the shootout.

Holy hell am I tired now but yet also so goddamned amped.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I have had 3 games in the past 24 hours.

Last night, we were leading 1-0 pretty much the entire game. With about 3 minutes left, I blocked a hard slap shot from the point that took me off my feet for a second. I finished off my shift, and then came back on to finish the game about 30 seconds later, after we let in the tying goal. I blocked the shot in the same spot that I almost always get hit in. The tiny area between the heel and tongue of my skate, and where my shinpad overlaps. I have been hit there at least 3 times in the last 6 months. So, after the game, I have an actual scrape where the puck hit me, in addition to the bruise and swelling. I iced it when I got home, and eventually overnight the pain subsided.

Tonight, we had another game. Except we were missing our three best players and our regular goalie. We lost 10-1. They were being assholes all game too, which made it even less fun.

Then, I got undressed quickly after the game, so I could drive to my inline game. We won 8-3, but the highlight of the night for me was a single shift I had. I blocked 2 shots back to back, then after having the puck go back and forth, I defended a guy who had the puck, coming down the right wing, he tries to jump around me, but I know exactly what he was planning to do, so I stood my ground and gave an unintentional (it was completely intentional) hip check to him. Then right after that, I defended a 2on1 by dropping to the ice, and then clearing the puck. If it were the playoffs in the NHL, I would consider it a Conn Smythe winning shift(tm).

Oh, and the guy I hip-checked, I fought last summer. He's a dick.

Now, I am icing myself down because my ankle is swollen again and my hip hurts. I don't wear hockey pants for inline.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Stultus posted:

Have any Long Island, NY goons played at the Twin Rinks at Eisenhower Park? It looks fantastic, but I haven't heard any of the adult leagues taking games there. Is it just being used as a facility for programs, and junior teams like the Gulls?

Looks like it literally just opened last Thursday for adult open hockey. Midnight Hockey said they were going to host games there, but I haven't heard anything since last summer. And I noticed on the Twin Rinks facebook page a few weeks back they were trying to put together their own adult house league for the summer, so maybe they're going that route.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Here's a bit over 20 minutes of me being a horrible beginner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1vsRHdOfJE

Funniest part: Me being blown off my skates during the opening faceoff of the second period. Scary part was I basically ended up winning it.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Here's a bit over 20 minutes of me being a horrible beginner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1vsRHdOfJE

Funniest part: Me being blown off my skates during the opening faceoff of the second period. Scary part was I basically ended up winning it.

Winning a face off while falling on your rear end is the best.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Anyone got advice on where to get custom jerseys made up? They'd need to be online/have shipping since I'm in Australia - I know it's probably going to be expensive already :v:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I have a local source that customizes all my jerseys with a thick orange fuzz.

You pay shipping both ways + $5 a day cat food and I can get you the treatment.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Pleads posted:

I have a local source that customizes all my jerseys with a thick orange fuzz.

You pay shipping both ways + $5 a day cat food and I can get you the treatment.

My cats love to lay on my hockey bag when I've got it sitting around with my gear in it. As soon as I set it down, they compete to be the first one to hop up and lay down. Cats are weird.

Edit: Proof.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 30, 2014

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

NoArmedMan posted:

Anyone got advice on where to get custom jerseys made up? They'd need to be online/have shipping since I'm in Australia - I know it's probably going to be expensive already :v:

My team gets our jerseys from highstick.com. Everything is stitched, and they even had a logo for us. The jerseys are about the same level of quality as an NHL jersey. Today we were actually in the process of getting an alternate jersey, so I happen to have the pricing handy.

Minimum order of 6
$85 Jersey with number only
$95 Jersey with number and socks
$100 Jersey with number and name on back
$110 Jersey with number and name and socks

Now bear in mind that's on the higher end. If you're on a team of deadbeats who barely pay their league fees, such as a team I captained 2 years ago, then you may want to go a cheaper route. Hockeytron.com made printed logo jerseys for me at $23 a jersey, with a minimum order of 10. I selected their DJ200 jerseys, and they silk screened a logo in a single color. They came out really good for that price.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For what it's worth my high stick jerseys, which I like, aren't really near nhl quality. They're nice, sure. But let's not go crazy. Also they are 45 or so if you don't get a front logo. Usually someone can screen a logo locally for cheap. I got blanks from them (no minimum order for blanks) and had numbers and logos screen printed locally (at Tronhockey actually)for the pond hockey team.

On the opposite end of the spectrum are Tron hockey jerseys. I hate the way they fit, I hate the fabric, I refuse to wear mine and wear a weird jersey from when I was 17 instead. It has a really cool stop sign on the back.

The best part about high stick is that after your initial order the reorders do not have a minimum which is good for new people that join the team. We got a few extras for subs but people end up wanting their own.

And paying 75 for jerseys in beer league is kinda really crazy to me, but to each their own. I've got no problem fronting the entire team registration fee but it just is an unnecessary expense to me. You can get fine jerseys for less IMO

sellouts fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 30, 2014

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I went to pickup yesterday and had a blast even though I could barely breathe (since I kinda ran out of my maintenance medicine for my asthma a week or so ago) The one I went to is usually pretty physical, which I already like, but yesterday there was actual hitting going on -- not hitting to hurt or hitting at high speed, but solid checks to separate the puck from the puckcarrier along the boards. It definitely changes how you play in the offensive zone when you can't just skate along the boards with the puck to look for an open man.

Also, dms666, my team plays your team tomorrow! I get to gently caress up passes and embarrass myself in front of another goon!

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Look Around You posted:

I went to pickup yesterday and had a blast even though I could barely breathe (since I kinda ran out of my maintenance medicine for my asthma a week or so ago) The one I went to is usually pretty physical, which I already like, but yesterday there was actual hitting going on -- not hitting to hurt or hitting at high speed, but solid checks to separate the puck from the puckcarrier along the boards. It definitely changes how you play in the offensive zone when you can't just skate along the boards with the puck to look for an open man.

Also, dms666, my team plays your team tomorrow! I get to gently caress up passes and embarrass myself in front of another goon!

At Brady's or Warrendale?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

dms666 posted:

Brady's. I'm loving these early starts too. 7:45 is so so so much better than 11pm.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Loqieu posted:

alternate jersey

Loqieu posted:

Minimum of $85

Loqieu posted:

anyone who wants to pay less is a deadbeat
Hmm

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Paying over $15 for a printed jersey is loving dumb. It's just a drat shirt.

Well okay there was that ghostbusters one I got from geekyjerseys, but that was a one time moment of insanity fueled by nostalgia.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah I'm not dropping $100+ on a shirt I'll wear maybe twice a month.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

beer league alternate jerseys: for when a white or black jersey just won't work because

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Hey, I said those cheaper jerseys were nice. :( Nothing wrong with going that route.

My main gripe was how difficult it was for me to find custom jerseys cheap enough that the guys on my roster were willing to shell out for. Especially after having to scrape together the league fee from them like I was a loan shark. This happened for 4 straight seasons before I called it quits.

And $23 is pretty good deal for a custom logo, name, and number. The closest in price I could find for the same was $28 from hockeymonkey, but they were pretty unresponsive on email.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

sellouts posted:

beer league alternate jerseys: for when a white or black jersey just won't work because
We only have one jersey right now which is white, and have had it for about 3 years now. Two teams joined our division recently which also wear the same color, so we decided on getting an alt dark which none of the other teams currently have. I'll still admit that we freely spend a lot on the jerseys, but no one seems to have an issue with it. The league also gives each player a $50 discount on the fee for having matching jerseys.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

The guy that set up the team I'm on picked a powder blue jersey with the reasoning "it'll work with either white or dark jerseys, so you only have to buy one!"

Unfortunately the way it ended up, the color is too dark to actually work with the other teams dark, especially if they have any shade of blue (eg, a couple teams use rangers colors) so it's turned out that every team we've played against has been forced to wear their whites.

I'm not sure how hard it is to just buy a black and a white and put a number on the back but I'm pretty new to all this so maybe I'm missing some fundamental detail.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bronze is definitely the best-dressed league here. Every team who comes out of LTP always goes nuts on shiny new jerseys. It's kinda neat to see what the new teams come up with. I don't care how other people spend their money.

e: Plus, y'all are soul-less if this doesn't make you feel like a kid on Christmas:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 30, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Loqieu posted:

And $23 is pretty good deal for a custom logo, name, and number. The closest in price I could find for the same was $28 from hockeymonkey, but they were pretty unresponsive on email.

You can get them down to about $15 each from Kamazu. That's the basement price with a number.. it goes up when you add logos and other frilly stuff.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

xzzy posted:

You can get them down to about $15 each from Kamazu. That's the basement price with a number.. it goes up when you add logos and other frilly stuff.

At that point if it's just for a blank and a number it's not really worth all the effort. I would just tell everyone to show up with both a white and dark jersey in whatever mishmash they had, and take poo poo from the league operator. That's actually what I did for 2 seasons before making the dip into custom team jerseys.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Loqieu posted:

The league also gives each player a $50 discount on the fee for having matching jerseys.

Loqieu posted:

At that point if it's just for a blank and a number it's not really worth all the effort.

Can you expand on this? The league gives you 50 dollars off per player to have matching jerseys? That's what, 2 or 3 games free. Per season.

Is there a minimum level of jersey or something? Because to me it seems worth the most effort to get something as cheap and basic as possible to get 50 off per year. The effort would decrease as cost rises because it'll take more seasons before people see overall savings. Overall savings = more hockey or better sticks or something.

Am I missing something?

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Look Around You posted:

Brady's. I'm loving these early starts too. 7:45 is so so so much better than 11pm.

Oh okay, good luck tonight. We lost to that team in the finals last session, I don't think you were on it though. Your goalie is up there with ours, definitely the best two in the league. If the starts were 8:15 they would be perfect, have a few people on our team that have to rush there straight from work.

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

sellouts posted:

Can you expand on this? The league gives you 50 dollars off per player to have matching jerseys? That's what, 2 or 3 games free. Per season.

Is there a minimum level of jersey or something? Because to me it seems worth the most effort to get something as cheap and basic as possible to get 50 off per year. The effort would decrease as cost rises because it'll take more seasons before people see overall savings. Overall savings = more hockey or better sticks or something.

Am I missing something?

I'd bet they have some rule about what the jersey quality/feature minimum has to be so that the cash winds up as a jersey subsidy more than a handful of free. That's a pretty solid idea to encourage teams to invest in a decent looking kit as well as gear new additions to the roster before the season even starts. It's such a good idea that I can guarantee my rink will never even consider it and we'll continue looking like a parade of clowns on skates, and not just because we're bad.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

thengeance posted:

I'd bet they have some rule about what the jersey quality/feature minimum has to be so that the cash winds up as a jersey subsidy more than a handful of free. That's a pretty solid idea to encourage teams to invest in a decent looking kit as well as gear new additions to the roster before the season even starts. It's such a good idea that I can guarantee my rink will never even consider it and we'll continue looking like a parade of clowns on skates, and not just because we're bad.

That's pretty much the idea. They even have this matching jersey qualification guide.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

Loqieu posted:

That's pretty much the idea. They even have this matching jersey qualification guide.

Honestly, the guy in that grey jersey should be charged an extra $50.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Loqieu posted:

The bottom row was half the teams in my league, with those numbers mysteriously going up throughout the year, and those players mysteriously getting much better throughout the year.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

shyduck posted:

The bottom row was half the teams in my league, with those numbers mysteriously going up throughout the year, and those players mysteriously getting much better throughout the year.

That's pretty much every team.

Also, that league is a bunch of assholes if that lower Jets jersey doesn't qualify.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What I think they're saying is that it's the same pattern across all 3. Logo is irrelevant.

Jets would qualify if the others in the bottom row looked like it.

I don't see minimum quality, just a definition of matching. That being said any plain jersey with a number seems to work so I'm still not following the minimum quality idea or a reason to spend more.

Jersey subsidies make sense I guess when they're one time or through the rinks pro shop. But I still don't understand why a rink would care at all.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Drove 30 minutes to the rink.
Got all my gear on.
"Sorry guys, the ice plant just broke, we're closing both sheets."
Took all my gear off.
Drove 30 minutes home.

:suicide:

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

dms666 posted:

How many other Pittsburgh hockey goons are there?

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
I played my first game of ball hockey today! I backhanded the ball into our slot and the other team scored a goal. The game-winning goal.

Nowhere to go but up, boys!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Guignol posted:

I played my first game of ball hockey today! I backhanded the ball into our slot and the other team scored a goal. The game-winning goal.

Nowhere to go but up, boys!

That is RULE #1, 2, 3!

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

he knows...
In my defence I'm loving terrible at hockey and should get off the rink immediately
Wait what

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Guignol posted:

In my defence I'm loving terrible at hockey and should get off the rink immediately
Wait what

Since Pleads is out drinking somewhere right now, I'll say what he would normally come here and say.

"You fuckin plug"

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

he knows...
He's right here and yes he has said so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Anybody got leads for stores/intro classes in Boston? North Shore specifically.

Was in a lovely beer league in Jersey using my roommates gear and my ~10mins of ice time a game was mostly spent skating into the boards and I'd like to do a winter league here but I need to buy my own gear. Before that most of my ice hockey experience was pond hockey in elementary school with couch cushions duct taped to my chest so I mean...

I figure I can scoop up some deals since it's end of season.

Edit: also I noticed in pickup games I got muscled the gently caress out because I'm 5' 7" and like 150. How do I turn into not a ping pong ball on contact?

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 1, 2014