Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Anybody mind if I keep posting Ham Shears? I don't remember who was posting it before.

Ham Shears

:3:

Also, have some The Dinette Set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh man this turned right back around to being amazing.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Anybody mind if I keep posting Ham Shears? I don't remember who was posting it before.

Ham Shears

:3:

By all means. I'm re-interested now. :v:

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh man this turned right back around to being amazing.

Agreed!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Winnie the Pooh

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Aztec posted:

When the strip first started, everyone was all " Oh they must be dating" because obviously if two 20 something women are in an apartment together, it must mean they're gay!

That absolutely was not the reason anyone thought that and we already went over it once before in this thread.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Save us Nemi!

Uh.. ok? To me she looks a little more wasted rather than in love, Lise.

Maybe she's in love with being wasted?

Edit - Jesus Christ those Eeyore comics are loving dark.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Coherent, funny, and it's even something I've had happen to me. The art doesn't really support it, but that's still very good for Boyce. Asking him to write a joke about smartphones and then actually draw one is the difference between driving a hummer and driving a hummer Out in the Elements Comix.

Pooch Café

I'm already convinced he's no dog, since he's gagging on that kitty litter. Dogs think kitty litter is like sprinkles for the tasty little treats the cat leaves behind.

Ballard Street

I have a friend who did this. His room is in the basement and he has no windows, so he put up a wallpaper mural of a forest scene, stuck a bunch of planters in front of it, and replaced the lights with UV bulbs. It's a pretty cool place to hang out.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

root posted:

If anyone is interested I've got some Peter Blegvad oddities that I could scan.

I have no idea what Leviathan is, but as far as I can tell it is a newspaper comic, so by all means please post!

It's All Right Chief Dharma

...Yes, you read that correctly. It's all over. Like so many actual jobs, it happens not with set-up, resolution, or even explanation. It just happens.

From a meta-perspective I'm not sure what's happening. It's odd that this happened in the middle of the week on a strip with no even number, which might indicate that the writer was sacked. But considering most of the joke here is about how life as we know it can end without warning, this could have been planned from the beginning. Either way, there are no more new Chief Dharmas to post.

There are, of course, hundreds of old Chief Dharmas. Haven't decided if I want to translate those, or just move on to something new. For all I know this guy could be starting a new comic next week, or there will be a different comic starting next week, or maybe the Daily Focus has just given up on comics altogether. Or maybe there will be an extended break until they find a new cartoonist they want to devote print space to. I really have no idea. But between this, my 2007 cartoons hitting a Monday, and my having to make a big trip this weekend, I'm not posting any more comics until next week.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Some Guy TT posted:

There are, of course, hundreds of old Chief Dharmas. Haven't decided if I want to translate those

Don't make me beg. :(

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

There are, of course, hundreds of old Chief Dharmas. Haven't decided if I want to translate those, or just move on to something new. For all I know this guy could be starting a new comic next week, or there will be a different comic starting next week, or maybe the Daily Focus has just given up on comics altogether. Or maybe there will be an extended break until they find a new cartoonist they want to devote print space to. I really have no idea. But between this, my 2007 cartoons hitting a Monday, and my having to make a big trip this weekend, I'm not posting any more comics until next week.

Coming out of lurk mode to say YES PLEASE! Chief Dharma is the main comic I look forward to, after Spiderman anyway.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

...Yes, you read that correctly. It's all over. Like so many actual jobs, it happens not with set-up, resolution, or even explanation. It just happens.

From a meta-perspective I'm not sure what's happening. It's odd that this happened in the middle of the week on a strip with no even number, which might indicate that the writer was sacked. But considering most of the joke here is about how life as we know it can end without warning, this could have been planned from the beginning. Either way, there are no more new Chief Dharmas to post.

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty gutted about this.

On the subject of Chief Dharma: I came across these strips and it looks like they're advertisements for hair restorer...? They seem legitimately funny and bizarre:

How much of a cultural touchstone is Chief Dharma in Korea? Enough so that its abrupt end would be something of a big deal?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TarDolphinorShark posted:

Coming out of lurk mode to say YES PLEASE! Chief Dharma is the main comic I look forward to, after Spiderman anyway.

Yeah, it manages to be funny in translation and that's pretty cool in my book.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

How much of a cultural touchstone is Chief Dharma in Korea? Enough so that its abrupt end would be something of a big deal?

It's reasonably popular, but Korean comics aren't mired in nostalgia culture the same way American comics are. It's only five years old, and even that's longer than average. I imagine people will be disappointed that it's gone, but then move on to something else. Maybe remember the author's name for whenever and with whoever his next project starts.

And yeah, those are hair tonic advertisements. Apparently he does (did) for-hire work with the characters. Also not uncommon- comics are popular enough that certain titles can be a decent marketing boost.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

:(

Feels odd posting this one the same day as Chief Dharma's end.

Calvin And Hobbes

Gavin Aung Than does Zen Pencils on Mondays.

And Ziggy concludes this tour of what GoComics has to offer.

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...
Gilchrist continuing to smear his poo poo all over Nancy really pisses me off. Phil Fumble was based on Bushmiller himself you mouth breathing hack. :mad:

Tiggum posted:

Barney Google and Snuffy Smith

Some Guy TT posted:

I have no idea what Leviathan is, but as far as I can tell it is a newspaper comic, so by all means please post!
You got it! Lemme dig out my scanner and I'll get something up soon...

quote:

It's All Right Chief Dharma
No it's not all right... ghee... :( If you got 'em please post the old Chief Dharma's.

And that cat from the hair-grow ad looks like What's Michael?

root fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 30, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Zen Pencils

Ugh. For a moment I thought you were going to start seriously posting this on the regular before I realized you were going alphabetically. The meltdown the webcomic thread had about this one was fairly legendary. (Rightfully so, because holy poo poo that series about 'haters' was loving vomitous.)

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Allen Wren posted:

Ugh. For a moment I thought you were going to start seriously posting this on the regular before I realized you were going alphabetically. The meltdown the webcomic thread had about this one was fairly legendary. (Rightfully so, because holy poo poo that series about 'haters' was loving vomitous.)

The most hilarious thing about Zen Pencils was, that one where Hayao Miyazaki pilots a mecha to destroy all criticism in the world? There was such a backlash from people critical of the artist putting words into the mouth of Miyazaki that he recanted and removed the name 'Miyazaki' from the comic. His comic about not listening to criticism lead to him listening to criticism which sort of undermined the entire thing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LtStorm posted:

The most hilarious thing about Zen Pencils was, that one where Hayao Miyazaki pilots a mecha to destroy all criticism in the world? There was such a backlash from people critical of the artist putting words into the mouth of Miyazaki that he recanted and removed the name 'Miyazaki' from the comic. His comic about not listening to criticism lead to him listening to criticism which sort of undermined the entire thing.

It's especially hilarious because Miyazaki is critical as hell of anime and manga today, among other things. Whether you agree with him about those things or think he's a crotchety old bastard, he's definitely not the ideal face of the anti-criticism crowd.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

LtStorm posted:

Amaaaaaaaazing. Oh drat.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Dustin is doing more mother-in-law jokes than Moose and Molly, who has an actual mother-in-law as a main cast member.

These strips always feel weird, does the wife have a radio station? Does she work as a DJ? Or is this a Dale Gribble in the basement situation? Is she the newest member of the Yogscast?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think she's supposed to be a Frasier-style radio advice host.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Bobulus posted:

I think she's supposed to be a Frasier-style radio advice host.
It all feels a tier below that though, it doesn't look like she's a syndicated radio host. She's probably in Dustin's room using his equipment.

Basically I'm wondering if maybe Dustin is Zits in the future.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 30, 2014

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

:stonklol:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Why would you cut out the cestus for that!?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I'm so conflicted about Ham Shears. On the one side, it seems like we're gonna have one of the first actually decent, realistic, wholesome lesbian couples ever in comics, but on the other hand, it's once again furthering the whole "tomboys/short-haired women are lesbians" stereotype.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I don't know that I'd call them stereotypical lesbians, given the big argument the thread had over whether or not that was even a fair assumption. Seems kind of funny in retrospect now, obviously.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Grilox posted:

I'm so conflicted about Ham Shears. On the one side, it seems like we're gonna have one of the first actually decent, realistic, wholesome lesbian couples ever in comics, but on the other hand, it's once again furthering the whole "tomboys/short-haired women are lesbians" stereotype.

Is Jill actually a tomboy, though? I don't really remember.

Either way, I'm still holding out for a gay male romance comic. This is like the third lesbian thing this thread's had.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Oh, Brother

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

Either way, I'm still holding out for a gay male romance comic. This is like the third lesbian thing this thread's had.

Well, I have something-

...But I'm guessing you all would be angry if I posted this instead of Dharma reruns.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I couldn't even bring myself to read this, but holy crap that dog looks different every time it shows up. Maybe the original dog died shortly after being "rescued", and, not wanting to break the kids' hearts, the adults replaced it. And then their negligence (letting it eat garbage and stuff) got the replacement killed, and so on.

Seriously though, Gilchrist is bad at like every aspect of this. Bad writing, awful "jokes", schmaltzy and artificial attempts at emotion, no consistency in design for nearly anyone (besides the dog, we have Fritzi getting progressively more stacked and Phil hulking out), no respect for the previous work or its creators, the list goes on and on.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh Ham Shears. :3:

But Chief Dharma, I am sad to see that one go. I really liked it.

And I'm sad that Gilchrist is still doing Nancy. This is a stupid loving story arc, another in a long line of stupid loving story arcs, done by a hack writer. gently caress this trash.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Wanamingo posted:

[

Not that they've been seen in a year, but technically #9 Chickweed Lane...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

It's especially hilarious because Miyazaki is critical as hell of anime and manga today, among other things. Whether you agree with him about those things or think he's a crotchety old bastard, he's definitely not the ideal face of the anti-criticism crowd.

Didn't he also pick Teddy Roosevelt? Who was a bit of an art critic himself

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (February 9, 1927)

Peanuts (May 3, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

The mystery is resolved...on a Wednesday. Which means that we get to wallow in it for another three days.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (May 2, 1956)

Out Our Way (November 17-18, 1924)

Just for variety, here's a bonus from May 2, 1956: Droodles, by Roger Price. Price was a writer for the Bob Hope show in the 40s (when Hope still had some snap left in his elastic) and later became one third of name on the door for publishing firm Price Stern Sloan. He was also half-inventor of Mad Libs.

Stern described Droodles as "a borkley-looking sort of drawing that doesn't make any sense until you know the correct title," and to live up to that description they were usually kind of abstract sketches. The most famous one these days gave the cover and title to Frank Zappa's "Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch".

Does this look like something you could get behind? Because I'm pretty sure I could find a few more.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

Foxtrot does do pretty good nerd service. I can't get some of them though. What's the thing to the right of the rocketship (beneath mario and above the kraken/sea beast?) And what's the thing in the bottom left?

It's Batman in the Batcave, with some bats overhead and what looks like a coin-operated kiddie Batmobile ride.

:byodame: Why can't these useless GOD drat lazy kids take care of their GOD drat SELVES!?!?!?

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (November 17-18, 1924)

Could someone please Red-and-Rover this one for me? What's so embarrasing about hot-dogs? :psyduck:

Feed that poor animal, Fumble.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pentaro posted:

Could someone please Red-and-Rover this one for me? What's so embarrasing about hot-dogs? :psyduck:

Because it's nasty street food, I think.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Wanamingo posted:

Because it's nasty street food, I think.

Low class food more specifically, I'd argue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Not to mention the way the kids are speaking, which seems at odds with the fancy outfit Ma is wearing.

Edit: also it took me a while to realize "schedule babies" = babies raised on strict feeding schedule?

• Locked thread