Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, aside from the story-fart we got with the prequels, their biggest crime was misusing John Williams.

The signature tracks from each prequel are pretty good but his music is never given the center stage through the rest of the movies like they were in the OT. I think it was a mistake on Williams' part for creating these big tracks as they get chopped up and reused all over the movies where maybe they aren't really appropriate.

Then there's his music trying to compete with the sound effects which are way too loud. Lucas is throwing poo poo all over the screen and the music should convey what's happening. Instead, the music can't get through laser blasts/explosions/dying stormtroopers so it's all jumbled and the movie can't get its storytelling (such as it is) across.

And you see this trend beginning with the Special Editions too as the sound effects have had their volume levels increased. The whole attack on the death star from ANH and it's fantastic opening are drowned out now by X-Wing engine noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Thwomp posted:

Honestly, aside from the story-fart we got with the prequels, their biggest crime was misusing John Williams.

The signature tracks from each prequel are pretty good but his music is never given the center stage through the rest of the movies like they were in the OT. I think it was a mistake on Williams' part for creating these big tracks as they get chopped up and reused all over the movies where maybe they aren't really appropriate.

Then there's his music trying to compete with the sound effects which are way too loud. Lucas is throwing poo poo all over the screen and the music should convey what's happening. Instead, the music can't get through laser blasts/explosions/dying stormtroopers so it's all jumbled and the movie can't get its storytelling (such as it is) across.

And you see this trend beginning with the Special Editions too as the sound effects have had their volume levels increased. The whole attack on the death star from ANH and it's fantastic opening are drowned out now by X-Wing engine noises.
This is mainly because they gave Ben Burt (sound effects guy) greater control over the final sound mix so he started drowning out Williams score so his beeps and pheoows and whoeeams could have center stage

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

quote:

2, 4, 6, 8, LFL's crime was very great! 'Great' meaning 'large or immense,' we use it in the pejorative sense!

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Thwomp posted:

That was only on the dvd release. They fixed the mix on the blu-ray and you can hear the music again.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Pops Mgee posted:

That was only on the dvd release. They fixed the mix on the blu-ray and you can hear the music again.
You can also hear Obi-wan step on a lego.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I think out of all the prequels, Phantom Menace has the best score. It seems to me that the film was mostly complete when John Williams got involved, so he could fit in little character themes and stuff.

While because how 'last minute' II/III seems to have been made, I imagine it was a case of "Here's a green screen shot of Obi-Wan, there'll be a bunch of clones here." and he'll have to put the imperial march there because there's not enough time to write a bit of music or has no idea how the CGI will be.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

"Okay so in this scene Darth Vader walks into the Jedi temple alongside a terrifying amount of proto-stormtroopers, ready to wipe out the last of the Old Republic Jedi."

"Wow okay that's pretty deep, I bet I could write a good musical piece for that."

"Actually you know what? Don't worry about it, we'll just use your droid march from the last movie and toss in some awkward footstep sound effects we found online."

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Hazo posted:

"Okay so in this scene Darth Vader walks into the Jedi temple alongside a terrifying amount of proto-stormtroopers, ready to wipe out the last of the Old Republic Jedi."

"Wow okay that's pretty deep, I bet I could write a good musical piece for that."

"Actually you know what? Don't worry about it, we'll just use your droid march from the last movie and toss in some awkward footstep sound effects we found online."

drat, really? :/

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bring on the Legends re-branding.

I prefer this.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/04/30/industry-reacts-to-star-wars-episode-vii-s-lack-of-women-1389899?lt_source=external%2Cmanual#!HdwTE

The tumblr crowd is already having a fit.

quote:

Gavia Baker at the Daily Dot predicted:

J.J. Abrams’s vision of Star Wars is a dystopia far more disturbing than anything Darth Vader could have hoped for: a universe where, without any real explanation, the vast majority of women are somewhere far, far away.

I'd love to see Abrams re-cast the entire film with Gonk droids, just to troll them.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So hey, this Clone Wars show is good. Like, really good. Like, holy poo poo I'm watching good Star Wars good.

First season was pretty weak, but I'm over half way through Season 2, and just finished the Duchess of Mandalore arc, and I'm floored. I think the turning point episode for me was The Deserter. Great episode, and the show just feels different ever since it.

I'm having a hard time explaining what I like about it so much, I'm just totally stoked to have so much left to watch. Anyone who hasn't seen it should check it out. It's the best Star Wars media that has been pushed out in, I'd say, decades.

Is there anything I should be wary of? Any episodes I should be ready to skip? If I read an explanation like, "Padme and Jar Jar are on vacation in..." should I just move on? Or is it mostly smooth sailing now?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Wish I saved my So Sick Of These Star Wars image so I could put a Legends goldband over the top now.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

So hey, this Clone Wars show is good. Like, really good. Like, holy poo poo I'm watching good Star Wars good.

First season was pretty weak, but I'm over half way through Season 2, and just finished the Duchess of Mandalore arc, and I'm floored. I think the turning point episode for me was The Deserter. Great episode, and the show just feels different ever since it.

I'm having a hard time explaining what I like about it so much, I'm just totally stoked to have so much left to watch. Anyone who hasn't seen it should check it out. It's the best Star Wars media that has been pushed out in, I'd say, decades.

Is there anything I should be wary of? Any episodes I should be ready to skip? If I read an explanation like, "Padme and Jar Jar are on vacation in..." should I just move on? Or is it mostly smooth sailing now?

You can skip jar jar and c-3po episodes, yes. I think that amounts to like 2 or 3 episodes.

I finished the series last night. Yoda's training at the end of "season" 6 was kind of dumb WRT the way George hammered home the strict duality--dark and light sides--of the Force, but the Moriband episode was all right. Overall I would just replace AOTC with this series. We actually get to see Anakin and Obi-Wan build a relationship, and it actually becomes a big deal when he turns in ROTS. Even Ahsoka grew on me towards the end. Now I just hafta rewatch ROTS.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

You can skip jar jar and c-3po episodes, yes. I think that amounts to like 2 or 3 episodes.

Personally, I never understood the "skipping episodes" practice. Either watch a series or don't. Take the bad with the good, but that's just me. I find that even the bad episodes usually have something in it that's redeeming and/or adds to the world building, such as Padmé's Rodian "uncle" Onaconda Farr in "Bombad Jedi", who turns up again in a later episode.

However, if you do decide skip the Jar Jar episodes, do yourself a favor and make an exception for his two-parter in the final season. It's basically a buddy movie where he gets teamed up with Mace Windu, and it's a lot better than it sounds. Also, Jar Jar gets some lovin'.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dave Syndrome posted:

Personally, I never understood the "skipping episodes" practice. Either watch a series or don't. Take the bad with the good, but that's just me. I find that even the bad episodes usually have something in it that's redeeming and/or adds to the world building, such as Padmé's Rodian "uncle" Onaconda Farr in "Bombad Jedi", who turns up again in a later episode.

However, if you do decide skip the Jar Jar episodes, do yourself a favor and make an exception for his two-parter in the final season. It's basically a buddy movie where he gets teamed up with Mace Windu, and it's a lot better than it sounds. Also, Jar Jar gets some lovin'.

I did watch those episodes because as I was binging I didn't see the episode description and thought it was all right. Mace was a good choice for that pair. I really did not want to see Jar Jar stick his tongue inside of anything ever again after TPM though.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

thrawn527 posted:

I'm in the same boat, I've been going through it lately and have been loving it. It's really fun seeing it from other perspectives, and the clone-centric episodes rock. I just saw the first few episodes of season 3 and it just gets better and better.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Muppetjedi posted:

I think out of all the prequels, Phantom Menace has the best score. It seems to me that the film was mostly complete when John Williams got involved, so he could fit in little character themes and stuff.

I do love how the Emperor's theme from RotJ kept popping up in different guises. I actually liked the score for RotS quite a bit too, even where Duel of the Fates was recycled.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
If anyone cares, Steam is currently having a giant sale on many Star Wars games. Both kotor, empire at war, force unleashed, Jedi knight, battlefront, republic commando, dark forces, and more.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I do love how the Emperor's theme from RotJ kept popping up in different guises. I actually liked the score for RotS quite a bit too, even where Duel of the Fates was recycled.
I particularly like how the final fanfare in TPM is an upbeat version of the Emperor's theme. I hadn't even realized until a thread or two ago when someone pointed it out.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

If anyone cares, Steam is currently having a giant sale on many Star Wars games. Both kotor, empire at war, force unleashed, Jedi knight, battlefront, republic commando, dark forces, and more.

If you have never played Republic Commando, now is your chance. Do it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Amazon is having a giant Star Wars comics for Kindle sale today:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=Star+Wars+omnibus

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

:laffo: at Wookieepedia's new canon policy

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/WP:CANON

quote:

Although the Holocron continuity database's canon hierarchy system no longer officially applies to Star Wars canon, Wookieepedia contributors must still apply this system as needed when writing a Legends article in order to determine conflicting "canonicity" in regards to a given Expanded Universe subject. Because the Expanded Universe is so closely intertwined with the six Star Wars films and the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and feature film, Wookieepedia contributors must fully incorporate these works into Legends articles, even though these works are now officially considered to be part of the new canon and therefore unconnected to the Expanded Universe.

For Wookieepedia's purposes in regards to Legends articles, G-canon and T-canon are now effectively synonymous, and C-canon and S-canon are now similarly synonymous, with G-canon and T-canon taking precedence over C-canon and S-canon in the event of a conflicting story. Therefore, Wookieepedia may now effectively use the following, more simplified system:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I bet they really loving regret that name when they want to announce serious and official news in general. Puns are terrible enough.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

SeanBeansShako posted:

I bet they really loving regret that name when they want to announce serious and official news in general. Puns are terrible enough.

It's probably a good reminder to stay humble. Otherwise they could forget that they're spending so much time and effort on something so pointless.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sorry, I'm a bit dense right now. What name?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dave Syndrome posted:

Sorry, I'm a bit dense right now. What name?

The name of the Star Wars wiki dude. Say it out aloud a moment in real life.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

The name of the Star Wars wiki dude. Say it out aloud a moment in real life.

Oh that. I've been reading Wookieepedia for so long, it ceased to be a pun in my mind years ago.

Like an idiot, I had been reading and rereading the quote in alg's post above yours, looking for a newly minted name or acronym for a good five minutes: "Is there a pun with the canon letters? Is 'Legends' or 'Holocron' supposed to be the stupid name? How? What? Why?" :downs:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah it has been around so long now for some we've all ignored most of it and took the named for granted. Thankfully they exist at this moment now to provide comedy gold in that little canon flip.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best thing that could happen to Wookieepedia at this point would be for them to go, "You know what? Forget it. Let's just grow a sense of humour and copy the good Transformers Wiki."

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
The ridicule EU proponents are facing now rubs me the wrong way. Why is it so hard to understand that a lot of us devoted a lot of time and tons of money to a universe that has been officially ended? Yeah, it's not going anywhere but nothing new will ever be added to it again. That universe was a big part of a lot of peoples lives for decades and it's dead.

It's not the most important thing in the world to get worked up over, and I myself have already accepted it and am ready to move on to the new EU, but is just a little understanding of our situation too much to ask?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Esroc posted:

The ridicule EU proponents are facing now rubs me the wrong way. Why is it so hard to understand that a lot of us devoted a lot of time and tons of money to a universe that has been officially ended? Yeah, it's not going anywhere but nothing new will ever be added to it again. That universe was a big part of a lot of peoples lives for decades and it's dead.

It's not the most important thing in the world to get worked up over, and I myself have already accepted it and am ready to move on to the new EU, but is just a little understanding of our situation too much to ask?

Because the EU was awful. Like really, really, really awful. Many people who enjoyed it enjoyed it while recognizing it was pulp at the best of times and that actually recognizing most of it as canon would involve recognizing some incredibly dumb things as 'canonical.'

That is basically the big thing I suspect is the gap between like, Nu52 and the end of the Star Wars EU. There is so little redeeming value in the Star Wars EU that even people who really like it can only name a few things they hope make the carry over to the new universe, most of which are written by Timothy Zahn.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 6, 2014

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Taking the good with the bad it's still like your favorite tv show was cancelled after being on for 20 years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Taking the good with the bad it's still like your favorite tv show was cancelled after being on for 20 years.

Well, I can't speak for other people, but there are very very few long-running shows I've watched where I didn't feel a distinct sense of relief that it ended before it got much worse. Lord knows that when the Simpsons is finally off the air, my feeling is going to be "about loving time" and not "fare thee well, Simpsons, you were taken too soon."

And it isn't like this is the end of Star Wars material in general. It's the end of this very specific realm of EU and anything significantly popular enough will probably find its way to the new EU in some form or another.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah most of the EU was poo poo but some of it was pretty good and I don't know if any of the new stuff is going to have the same appeal. It's all pointless until the new movies actually come out though, they could be anywhere between the MCU and Transformers.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Esroc posted:

Source your quotes. :colbert:

The EU is still there, it just exists in a weird canon state where it can be drawn from but doesn't influence the movies or TV shows. You know, like it was before.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's not hard to understand, non-canon is a good thing!

It means the stories you liked are still stories you can enjoy, and now you can ignore the junk that you only read just to keep up on the canon.

Much like superhero comics, it's not like the EU was ever going to give permanent closure on the main cast anyways.

Srice fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 6, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

There is so little redeeming value in the Star Wars EU that even people who really like it can only name a few things they hope make the carry over to the new universe, most of which are written by Timothy Zahn.

In no particular order:

Thrawn Trilogy (3x Tim Zahn)
all 10 X-Wing Books (5x Aaron Allston, 5x Michael Stackpole)
The general plot thrust of New Jedi Order (Let's call this the 5 'main' hardcovers, so 1x R.A. Salvatore, 1x Kathy Tyres, 1x Troy Denning, 1x Walter Jon Williams, 1x James Luceno)
Traitor (1x Matthew Stover)
Hand of Thrawn Duology (2x Tim Zahn)
The non-Traviss books of Legacy of the Force (3x Allston, 3x Denning)
The Republic Command series, (4x Karen Traviss)
Medstar Duology (2x Michael Reeves/Stan Perry)
Death Star (1x Michael Reeves/Stan Perry)
Coruscant Nights trilogy(3x Michael Reeves)
Bane Trilogy (3x Drew Karphyshan)
Splinter of the Mind's Eye (1x Alan Dean Foster)
Revenge of the Sith novelization (1x Matthew Stover)
Kenobi (1x John Jackson Miller)
Scoundrels (1x Tim Zahn)

That's my 'off the top of my head good stuff that I'm sad is non-canon now' list, and doesn't include some of my old favorite young reader stuff my mom bought me when I was a kid. There's 6 Zahn novels to 38 non-Zahn ones. Sure Tim Zahn's stuff is well-known, as far that Expanded Universe goes, but its not the be-all end-all of Star Wars fiction.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Yeah and all of those blow except maybe the Stackpole/Allston ones.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Quite honestly, I don't think "canonicity" was ever a selling point for me when I was a regular EU reader. Consistency in the EU (with itself and the movies) mattered to a certain degree (as in, it bugged me when Jacen Solo went from being "conflicted" to "Snidely Whiplash" and back again over the course of three books), but the abstract notion that the stuff was "canon" or not never really affected my enjoyment of the material.

Of course, as I've mentioned, I mostly read Star Wars stuff between the ages of 13 and 17, so maybe I just never had the right mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Canon is dumb anyways. In my book Revan is actually female and the Exile Jedi Jesus is male :colbert: