Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Good Citizen posted:

Like most of life's problems, this one can also be resolved with poison arrows.

I hate how much I relied on poison arrows for a lot of late game stuff. The fire lizards, the ogres in Aldias, and the knights at Dragon Sanctuary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I have no idea about these things so I'll ask: is there some good video capture software that would be good for capturing some Dark Souls 2 footage?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

When do you start finding Soul Vessels?

On the way to a boss in Huntsman's Copse, I fought an NPC invader, who died by falling off a cliff. Did I miss out on some items?

With respecs in the game is there much point to making a new character?

Does anything unlock via summoning NPCs, like questlines or items? I haven't summoned anyone at all for bosses, only the odd shade I happen to see on the way.

Is progress within a Covenant preserved if I abandon that covenant and come back, or is it penalized like in DaS1?

In order:
The first soul vessel you find is in the mansion at Majula. You get about half a dozen per NG.
No.
Yes, respecs only bring you back to your original stats at game creation. If you chose a warrior, then those default stats you're stuck with.
Yes, if you summon NPCs for boss fights sometimes they'll give you their armor or weapons after being summoned a couple times at different fights.
No, you can switch Covenants freely in this one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kimmalah posted:

I don't think it matters, but I'm not 100% sure. For me, I talked to Pate in Forest of Fallen Giants, then Creighton in the the Copse, Pate in Earthen Peak, Creighton in Shaded Woods. Then Pate in Earthen Peak again because I screwed up and didn't go back to talk to him after opening the chest/door. :haw: If you just want his armor set, he gave it to me in Earthen Peak. But there's more to the story in a later area which will only happen if you exhaust everyone's dialogue.

I missed Pate in Earthen Peak? poo poo, I'll have to go back. I've seen Creighton twice so far, so I'm good for him.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Bobnumerotres posted:

So the fight being optional excuses it being horribly boring? Anyhow, I just noticed the pattern. The boss was surprisingly easy. I probably need to upgrade my vigor.

No I just think it's kind of weird to start a fight with a non-hostile NPC and complain that it's boring.

RBA Starblade posted:

I missed Pate in Earthen Peak? poo poo, I'll have to go back. I've seen Creighton twice so far, so I'm good for him.

Yeah, if you exhaust his dialogue he moves there. I can't remember where off the top of my head, but it's like a little side room full of those poison pots.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kiggles posted:

You can not use resins, but you CAN use element spells on infused weapons, and it is HIGHLY recommended that you do so.

Awesome, thanks!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Gortarius posted:

I have no idea about these things so I'll ask: is there some good video capture software that would be good for capturing some Dark Souls 2 footage?

MSI afterburner if you have an nvidia card. FRAPS, dxtory, and Open Broadcaster Software if not

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If I'm just using the utility and buff spells is it worth infusing and upgrading my chime/staff, or are their functions completely fixed in math terms?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anyone that sells arrows and bolts after you buy the 50 from the Majula blacksmith?

50 arrows and bolts run out really fast when you're helping people.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

poptart_fairy posted:

If I'm just using the utility and buff spells is it worth infusing and upgrading my chime/staff, or are their functions completely fixed in math terms?
They're completely fixed, no point in investing more than the absolute minimum requirements.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Mans posted:

Is there anyone that sells arrows and bolts after you buy the 50 from the Majula blacksmith?

50 arrows and bolts run out really fast when you're helping people.

Gavlan sells poison arrows and there's another blacksmith who sells them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Guh, I don't get it. As soon as I get past 200k soul memory I just stop getting summoned. I'm at 280k souls and trying to sunbro at Chariot/Skeleton Lords, but I get summoned like once every 20 minutes. supposedly people get summoned fast throughout the entire game though so I have no idea why I always seem to be alone.

VVV Wait seriously? I thought it made you more likely to get summoned, not less.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 30, 2014

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Internet Kraken posted:

Guh, I don't get it. As soon as I get past 200k soul memory I just stop getting summoned. I'm at 280k souls and trying to sunbro at Chariot/Skeleton Lords, but I get summoned like once every 20 minutes. supposedly people get summoned fast throughout the entire game though so I have no idea why I always seem to be alone.

Are you wearing the name ring? That really fucks you up unless you have some specific person you want to coop with.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Internet Kraken posted:

I think you have it backwards. 280k is not by any stretch of the imagination a large amount of soul memory. If soul memory is the culprit then it's because it's too low, not too high.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Doesn't seem like people are populating that zone. I think most of the population is at Bastille. Otherwise summoning does seem a bit slower. I couldn't find anyone to summon for Covetous, despite being the sunbro haven for a while.

May be that the PC audience is just leaning on solo experience. In part the audience likes to play that way, but a lot also may have come from playing on console, and are just bum rushing content without taking/dropping signs.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Speaking of the Name Ring - Have we decided on a name yet?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm at 1.3 million and getting summoned frequently.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Fashion Souls time!

Farming the berserker got a lot easier once I put on upgraded traveling merchant's hat and prisoner's tatters to go with my covetous gold serpent ring.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV Wait seriously? I thought it made you more likely to get summoned, not less.

The Name-Engraved Ring makes it easier to connect to specific players/groups of players. Like if you want to co-op with someone in particular, you choose the same god and it helps. At least that's how I understand it.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Speaking of the Name Ring - Have we decided on a name yet?

I think the console thread was using Nahr Alma God of Blood mostly, so you might find goons there on PC too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tagichatn posted:

Fashion Souls time!

Farming the berserker got a lot easier once I put on upgraded traveling merchant's hat and prisoner's tatters to go with my covetous gold serpent ring.

Are...are you a Predator?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Gortarius posted:

Afterburner is the poo poo, it's even got a shadowplay-like buffering function. You need to download the beta for that one, though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

No I just think it's kind of weird to start a fight with a non-hostile NPC and complain that it's boring.

I'm so sorry for complaining that a fight with a massive ancient dragon was executed in pretty much the worst way possible.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Has anyone found a real, practical use for the items that reduce a spell's stat requirements? I've got a bunch, but I can't figure them out.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Now wearing Darangleic set with a Heide hat, still rocking the Tower Shield from the Cathedral of Blue, I'm currently in the Huntsman's Copse, should I throw some shards at upgrading it my gear or will there be more heavy/upper medium armour just around the corner?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Something tells me it wasn't wise to build my character with 25 vigor and 50 attunement, but I wanted to be a ~*~wizard~*~. It's really starting to bite me in the rear end even harder now, with the giant rat one-shotting me with every attack once I was fully hollow. :v:

gently caress it. Glass cannon forever.

Edit: I can't bring myself to use the hexes that cost souls, though. It's like I'm literally throwing money away.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Has anyone found a real, practical use for the items that reduce a spell's stat requirements? I've got a bunch, but I can't figure them out.

There's an NPC in Iron Keep with an 'incense' option. From there, you can use those items to lower the requirements of whichever spell you want for as many points as you have the item, down to a minimum of 10. It's really good if you're a pure melee character who just wants great magic barrier for PvP, since there are ways to farm those indefinitely.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 30, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cyberventurer posted:

Something tells me it wasn't wise to build my character with 25 vigor and 50 attunement, but I wanted to be a ~*~wizard~*~. It's really starting to bite me in the rear end even harder now, with the giant rat one-shotting me with every attack once I was fully hollow. :v:

Edit: I can't bring myself to use the hexes that cost souls, though. It's like I'm literally throwing money away.

I'm level 110 and I have 15 vigor. Wizards 4 lyfe. :c00lbert:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
God the giant undead guarding Purgatory are such a pain in the rear end to fight with dual caestus. I'm just short on the stamina needed to fully stunlock them from full health to zero, so they'll survive with a sliver and kill me when I gently caress my dodge up. If i accidentally aggro more than one then I'm just hosed.

I lost my first bloodstain of the run because of them and it had 20k souls :negative:

EDIT: 50k souls now because I botched a jump trying to recovery them twice :suicide:

Cyberventurer posted:

25 vigor? My witch character has like 15 vigor. You don't need health if you never get hit :colbert:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 30, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The whole effigies/phantoms thing with Darklurker really wasn't necessary. Make the boss hard, not the path or the cost to access him.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'm so sorry for complaining that a fight with a massive ancient dragon was executed in pretty much the worst way possible.

I'm not upset that you complained about it. Apologies for responding to your post at all I guess.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Cyberventurer posted:

It is for enemies that drop 400 souls or less. Using GRS takes up 500, RS just 100, so you're guaranteed a return on investment if you are in an area where the enemies drop loads of souls i.e. Iron Keep.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

My game has an issue where it switches to my desktop at random. I've tried googling it and nothing. Anyone have a possible solution?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bobnumerotres posted:

My game has an issue where it switches to my desktop at random. I've tried googling it and nothing. Anyone have a possible solution?

Are you hitting your windows key? For a while I thought I had some kind weird glitch of that kept toggling my left hand, but it turns out I was just resting my hands (holding the controller) too close to my keyboard and was nudging the left arrow key sometimes. The keyboard will still respond to anything and everything while using your controller.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Tagichatn posted:

Fashion Souls time!

Does upgrading that hat improve its item find bonus?

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.

Kimmalah posted:

I'm not upset that you complained about it. Apologies for responding to your post at all I guess.

All I can think of in that fight is "Onyxia takes a deep breath...."

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
Whelp, I completed my bows only run through.

Retardedly easy. Even in the instances with PvP. I was getting bored with it towards the end, so I sped through the last bit and avoided the optional boss dragon .
I found the last couple of bosses easy, but called in back up just to get the fight over with faster.

So now, I'm going NG+ I respec'd to strength and doing my caestus only run. I started one on 360. It's also going to be my Champions run as well. I only got half way through the forest but the hollows are crumbling under my might already. The only challenge is the phantoms right now, but I have a feeling some bosses are going to annoy the poo poo out of me.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

neetengie posted:

It is for enemies that drop 400 souls or less. Using GRS takes up 500, RS just 100, so you're guaranteed a return on investment if you are in an area where the enemies drop loads of souls i.e. Iron Keep.

It's not quite that simple, since all those extra souls add up if you can kill them just as well with something that doesn't cost money to cast.

In related news, I sure wish I had realized what a big difference upgrading my catalyst would make. I kept expecting to find a better one, and I'm sure I've missed several better ones, but someone in the Before I Play thread made a big deal about how hard titanite is to find, so I used an unupgraded sorcerer's catalyst until after my third primal bonfire. Eventually I said hell with it and dumped some bellbro chunks into this thing and it's like a runner realizing he'd been wearing his shoes on the wrong feet all this time.

At least I got good at dodge rolling.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

There are better staffs damage-wise, but the basic staff is actually pretty good upgraded and has a really fast casting speed (which sometimes can be more important than just damage). I didn't switch to something else until I was almost at the end of the game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cardiovorax posted:

They're completely fixed, no point in investing more than the absolute minimum requirements.

Cool, thanks! Guess Ill just find something with absurd casting speed over high scaling/damage ratings then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Tagichatn posted:

Fashion Souls time!

Greetings skeletal brother. I hope we run into each other as phantoms and crack some skulls. :yohoho: