Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thauros posted:

More info on Kobashi's upcoming show courtesy of the Observer;

I wonder who he'll get from NJPW as none were listed.

That's a cool lil card. Gonna have to watch that. Somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
What is a "talk battle?"

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Probably a promo-off of some sort.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

ChampRamp posted:

What is a "talk battle?"

No idea, but I'm fairly certain it involves chops, lots and lots of chops.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

epitasis posted:

I don't know that it was ever made explicit that they passed on him. He came through then went home, maybe he expected an offer on the spot and they didn't extend one for five weeks. Would "Major League" or its equivalent be something people would use to refer to NJPW?

Meltzer noted that it may have been more that his contract with NOAH wasn't up until a few days ago. The May shows he's doing are per-appearance deals as a farewell mini-tour. But he's either going to WWE or NJPW, obviously. (Watch me be proven dumb and he shows up in TNA, pinning Eric Young for the World title before jobbing to EC3 the same night.)

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Gaz-L posted:

Meltzer noted that it may have been more that his contract with NOAH wasn't up until a few days ago. The May shows he's doing are per-appearance deals as a farewell mini-tour. But he's either going to WWE or NJPW, obviously. (Watch me be proven dumb and he shows up in TNA, pinning Eric Young for the World title before jobbing to EC3 the same night.)

Knowing the heat KENTA has with some of the senior wrestlers in NJPW, it's unlikely that he'd end up there unless Shibata really went out on a limb for him.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Meltzer says the belief is KENTA to WWE.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Knowing the heat KENTA has with some of the senior wrestlers in NJPW,
Not sure I've heard about this...

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
Couple random DDT notes from @DramaticDDT.

@DramaticDDT posted:

The Iron Man Title has its own theme music. Naturally it's "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath.

@DramaticDDT posted:

Oh, turns out Yoshihiko revived itself and turned into Magnum TOKYO during the 6-Man Tag.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Ditch posted:

Too good not to share.

http://dramaticddt.wordpress.com/2014/04/29/ddt-max-bump-2014-results/

DDT owner/booker Sanshiro Takagi became the 999th DDT Ironman champion. He threatened to retire the belt, but retired DDT mainstay Poison Sawada Julie convinced him to hold off until after a battle royal at Korakuen Hall. There, Sawada used his mind control powers to get several wrestlers to target Takagi, but that wasn't enough and Takagi won. Afterwards, Takagi and Sawada had an altercation, leading to easily the DDT-est of all DDT booking:

Later in the show, the belt was accidentally pinned by Jun Akiyama.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The only video I've found of that segment skips from the battle royal to the title having already won due to a video error...

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DDT is the True King of Sports.

:allears:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

epitasis posted:

Meltzer says the belief is KENTA to WWE.

I can't wait for KENTA to trip on Ultimo Dragon's cape at Wrestlemania

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Where did you get this? I want to see the full post-match too!

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Illinois Smith posted:

Where did you get this? I want to see the full post-match too!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1s51t8_ddt-max-bump-2014-29-04-2014-1-4_sport

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Nice, thank you. It's a great feeling to bookmark a guy who seems to regularly cap Samurai stuff.

Akiyama's WTF face at the end when he accidentally becomes champion #1001 was fantastic, can't wait to see him defend it.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 2, 2014

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
How do you look at stuff like Kaientai choppy-choppy'ing Val Venis' pee-pee or Okada's awful stint in TNA and think, "That's what I want to do with my career"? Admittedly NOAH is a small pond that's drying up, but better to be the top dog wrestling living legends like Takayama and Nagata than getting saddled with a racist gimmick and getting a lackluster push. How long until KENTA is Randy Orton's samurai page?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dude still gets a decent paycheck and gets to learn from some of USA's best talents, its not a total loss.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Panama Red posted:

How do you look at stuff like Kaientai choppy-choppy'ing Val Venis' pee-pee or Okada's awful stint in TNA and think, "That's what I want to do with my career"? Admittedly NOAH is a small pond that's drying up, but better to be the top dog wrestling living legends like Takayama and Nagata than getting saddled with a racist gimmick and getting a lackluster push. How long until KENTA is Randy Orton's samurai page?

He remembers this:

and then he sees this:

plus he's guaranteed to make good money for a while and like coco said, learn from some of the best the US has to offer.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The WWE still have really ridiculously stupid foreigner gimmicks, but eventually Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, and Antonio Cesaro got over really well, Sin Cara was treated pretty well until he hosed it up for himself, and Ambrose/Rollins were really well done from the start. I'd like to assume KENTA would be pretty safe from bullshit, and even if he weren't could probably get over pretty well on his own.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

quote:

@davemeltzerWON 2m

Holy crap the Dragon Gate show from Monday is out of this world. I'm only a few matches in and no way NJ & WWE this weekend are close.

drat, I usually only watch NJPW as far as puro goes but I've enjoyed what little DG I've watched and should probably check this out.

Edit: If someone more familiar with DG than I could do a brief summary of their stables/main wrestlers I'd appreciate it.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 7, 2014

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Thauros posted:

drat, I usually only watch NJPW as far as puro goes but I've enjoyed what little DG I've watched and should probably check this out.

Edit: If someone more familiar with DG than I could do a brief summary of their stables/main wrestlers I'd appreciate it.

This will help you http://iheartdg.com/roster.php

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Thauros posted:

Mad Blankey is the only heel group. Their colors are red and yellow and generally have a punk vibe. YAMATO assumed leadership after Tozawa left. Main wrestlers are him, Naruki Doi and Cyber Kong.

Millenials are tweener. They formed in Mexico when they were on a learning excursion. Their gimmick is based on the Mexican roots and that all their members were born in the 90s. Their colors are green white and red. T-Hawk and Eita are the leaders with UT, Flamita and Yosuke Santa Maria being the other notables.

Veteran Army Returns are a rehash of an earlier Veteran Army that joined up with Windows MG. Their gimmick as one can guess is that they are the senior members of the roster and founders of Dragon Gate/Original members of Toryumon. They don't have a clear leader but CIMA, Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fuji and Dragon Kid are the biggest members. They're mostly face but can act heelish

The Jimmyz need explaining. KAGETORA and Susumu Yokosuka were a tag team inside of Junction Three during the J Three v Blood Warriors angle of 2011. Their rivals were BxB Hulk and Akira Tozawa whom beat them in a title contra name match. Hulk/Tozawa thought they were the most boring members of the roster and Jimi means plain in Japanese and renamed them Jimmy Susumu and Jimmy Kagetora.This wasn't the first time Susumu lost his name. They decided to embrace it and a stable spun off of it. Currently Jimmy Kanda and Mr. Kyu Kyu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin aren't getting along but they've seem to put it behind them and saved the unit (they are the oldest unit currently active in DG). Their logo is a pair of eyeglasses as all of them wear glasses.

Monster Express is the newest unit and the most face one. Their color is orange and they are based on all being best friends and being formed by members of dead units or kicked out of units. There really isn't a leader but the main native members are Akira Tozawa, Masato Yoshino and Shingo Takagi. Save Millenials they are the only unit with gaijin. Ricochet, the first gaijin Dream Gate Champion and Uhaa Nation are apart of it.

There are a couple of roster members without units but they are either part time or young boys or Stalker Ichikawa (he's kind of a member of Veteran Army but isn't really treated as one because he's Stalker.)

Hope that helps.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 7, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, thanks guys, that definitely helps. I knew that Mad Blankey was heel and Akira Tozawa and Ricochet's group was face but that was about the sum of it.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 7, 2014

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I want to watch that Dragon Gate show, but 4.5 hours of New Japan, plus Extreme Rules, plus another 4.5 hours of Dragon Gate, plus ROH/NJPW this weekend, is starting to be a bit much. I wish you could pay for stuff off Ustream and watch it once some time down the road.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Dunbar posted:

I want to watch that Dragon Gate show, but 4.5 hours of New Japan, plus Extreme Rules, plus another 4.5 hours of Dragon Gate, plus ROH/NJPW this weekend, is starting to be a bit much. I wish you could pay for stuff off Ustream and watch it once some time down the road.

UStream's a lot better with replays thab they used to, you get unlimited replays until the 23rd instead of just a week.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

From yesteday's Observer update:

quote:

This is a feel good pro wrestling story at http://youtu.be/njFdlTyASLg It's a Japanese TV show called Knight Scoop about a 97-year-old woman who has loved pro wrestling dating back to Rikidozan's days, and how she still hates all the foreigners, most notably Abdullah the Butcher. She is now in hospice care and is passing the time by watching wrestling DVDs with the nurses. There are times they think she may be passing into a coma, but when they put a DVD on and tell her wrestling is on, she becomes responsive. She's now a big fan of Dragon Gate, and in particular, Yosuke Santa Maria. But even though she's been a fan from the beginnings of pro wrestling in Japan, she had never been to a live show. Now she's living in a facility, so the wrestlers from Dragon Gate came to the facility and did a show especially for her. (thanks to Jae Church and others)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njFdlTyASLg

Fantastic gesture on DG's part, though I admit I do find it funny that a 97 year old woman's favorite wrestler is an exotico.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

If Bullet Club showed up she would have had a rage-fueled stroke.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

coconono posted:

If Bullet Club showed up she would have had a rage-fueled stroke.

AJ Styles going for that good heat as the Strokemaker.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Beautiful Ninja posted:

I don't even have to make the double entendre here, do I?

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

I Before E posted:

I don't even have to make the double entendre here, do I?

No, we all got the Double J reference

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Solomonic posted:

No, we all got the Double J reference

As in Jerkin' and Jizzin', maybe.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Beautiful Ninja posted:

the GAIJIN community??, etc.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Antonio Inoki has partnered with the DPRK to organize and promote another show in Pyongyang, because of course he has (even though iirc the last time he pulled this sort of thing he got suspended from Parliament, I suspect the best way to get Inoki to do something is to tell him not to do it).

Who should be on the show, besides noted WCW main eventer Dennis Rodman?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Solomonic posted:

Antonio Inoki has partnered with the DPRK to organize and promote another show in Pyongyang, because of course he has (even though iirc the last time he pulled this sort of thing he got suspended from Parliament, I suspect the best way to get Inoki to do something is to tell him not to do it).

I found out yesterday that incredibly, Ishii still does shows for IGF, so he might be.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Solomonic posted:

I hope they keep him. I doubt the Japanese government would mind at this point.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Solomonic posted:

Bruce Tharpe can bring the heels.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I found out yesterday that incredibly, Ishii still does shows for IGF, so he might be.

Wrong Ishii.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

dsriggs posted:

Wrong Ishii.

Or really? I saw the name and just assumed it was something Ishii would do when he's not trying to murder NJPW guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

coconono posted:

Or really? I saw the name and just assumed it was something Ishii would do when he's not trying to murder NJPW guys.

NJPW Ishii is Tomohiro, who owns.

IGF Ishii is Satoshi, the gold medalist judoka and awful MMA fighter.