Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fetterkey posted:

K-turns are risky against potential blockers. If you're moving first, you know that the enemy isn't going to block you, so you'll be fine as long as you can judge distance correctly. This is one of the reasons Advanced Sensors is so good on a B-Wing-- the B-Wing's short K-turn is very vulnerable to being blocked, but with Sensors you can barrel roll prior to moving to mitigate this weakness.

Wouldn't Advanced Scopes from Rebel Aces give you the same benefit for fewer points then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Val Helmethead posted:

With the transport (almost) in my hands, I tried out a Starfighters of Adumar list.

Wedge Antilles - 29
Opportunist - 4
R2 Astromech - 1
Total - 34

Wes Janson - 29
Veteran Instincts - 1
Flichette Torps - 2
Total - 32

Tycho Celchu - 26
Push The Limit - 3
Assault Missile - 5
Total - 34

Hobbie - Left Home

Wes shoots first, stripping a target for Wedge. Wedge makes sure it is dead. Tycho flies a flanking route, and has Assault Missiles to break up or hurt a swarm. Flichettes... I could probably drop those, but for what?

If you want to try and make something like this work, you're way better off doing something with Wedge, Wes, and Biggs. The list you have now will mean wedge is dead maybe first combat round but for sure second round, then the list is done with only 5 attack dice. Replacing Tycho with Biggs means first pass you force range 3 shots through an asteroid which will help the list way more than Tycho ever will.

If im flying a swarm, unless you bring 2 or 3 assault missiles, im not going to care about it. There is a good chance it will miss anyways.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wouldn't Advanced Scopes from Rebel Aces give you the same benefit for fewer points then?

Only in that it will let you move first. It won't let you barrel roll (or boost, with engine upgrade), and THEN K-turn. Advanced Sensors will still be very powerful. It's also nice to barrel roll then one bank to dodge out of an arc and then set up a range 1 shot.

Not to mention, being able to Focus then K-turn is possible with AdvS, not with the scopes.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

:eyepop::eyepop:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Ohhh, very nice. That looks pretty good, especially for a mass-produced pre-painted model. Though I'm curious as to why they've made an unarmed, unarmored, slow and unmaneuverable bulk transport ship as a game piece. Is it supposed to be for a scenario setpiece or something?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Shoeless posted:

Ohhh, very nice. That looks pretty good, especially for a mass-produced pre-painted model. Though I'm curious as to why they've made an unarmed, unarmored, slow and unmaneuverable bulk transport ship as a game piece. Is it supposed to be for a scenario setpiece or something?

Because people will buy it for the attached X-Wing cards.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Shoeless posted:

It's for Epic Play and Cinematic Play. You won't see them in standard tournament play, but man are they pretty. If you haven't been keeping up, this is the next sweet, sweet model we are getting:

Edit: I really hope those turrets and the dish rotate :allears:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I am eager to torpedo the gently caress out of the transport with TIE Bombers.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Eventually we'll be able to game out the Redemption scenario.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Shoeless posted:

Because it's the only spaceworthy ship left from the movies which can fit on a table at the same scale as the starfighters.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Actually its still at a smaller scale. The Fighters are 1/270, This and the Tantive IV are 1/500.

:goonsay:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Devlan Mud posted:

Because people will buy it for the attached X-Wing cards.

Don't go down this road, FFG. Don't be a GW!

Carteret posted:

It's for Epic Play and Cinematic Play. You won't see them in standard tournament play, but man are they pretty. If you haven't been keeping up, this is the next sweet, sweet model we are getting:

Edit: I really hope those turrets and the dish rotate :allears:

Ah, so scenarios and such. Okay, fair 'nuff. And dat CR-90 :eyepop: Now -that- looks like something that would be an actual threat.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Carteret posted:

Actually its still at a smaller scale. The Fighters are 1/270, This and the Tantive IV are 1/500.

:goonsay:

I stand by my assertion that it can fit at the same scale. The fact that the next smallest ship can't is why they switched the scale up.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

I stand by my assertion that it can fit at the same scale. The fact that the next smallest ship can't is why they switched the scale up.

Honestly we've been having a blast using a midi-scale LEGO Star Destroyer as dressing and figuring out rules. Yes it's comically off scale compared to the x-wings but who cares.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 1, 2014

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Full contents listing of the transport here : http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1163668/x-wing-rebel-transport-a-summary-and-initial-impr

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Corbeau posted:

Eventually we'll be able to game out the Redemption scenario.

My goal is to live out the entirety of the TIE fighter campaigns.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
So, moseying around the internet and such, I've been hearing references to Cinematic/campaign play for X-wing, and phrases such as "+1 hull cards" and "+1 shield cards". But for the life of me in googling and looking through FFG's site I cannot find rules for such. Likewise, a look at the vassal module for X-wing shows some tokens with Hull and Agility values with two Attack symbols on them and other such things. Knowing me, the answer's right under my nose and I'm just overlooking it, but if anyone can point it out to me I'd appreciate it!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

You are referring to modification cards. Each ship can normally have one modification, except Interceptots with Royal Guard TIE title. Currently there are mods whic boost hull, shield, agility, give thr boost icon and gives target lock.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Leo Showers posted:

You are referring to modification cards. Each ship can normally have one modification, except Interceptots with Royal Guard TIE title. Currently there are mods whic boost hull, shield, agility, give thr boost icon and gives target lock.

Ah, so I was likely hearing people referring to their own homebrew campaign systems, not any official thing. Thanks for clarifying. I knew about Modification upgrades, it just didn't click that they were talking about that with the phrasing they used.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Going to be a special tournament this weekend at a local store - each player controls 1 fighter, up to 50 points. Still split into Imperials vs Rebels, 4 hour length, you chalk up points for kills, and can reenter from your team's edge after being killed.

Basically a massive furball.

If playing rebels, I was thinking Wedge as the base pilot, then upgrade towards 50 points. 3 attack dice with his ability means a easier time killing, since survivability does not seem as important. Though dying too easily means I will have to spend more time moving back into the engagement from respawn.

Any suggestions?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'd rather take Ibtisam or whatever in the B-Wing and pair it with Push the Limit, because that would be pretty :black101: and while you are losing out on X-Wing agility and Wedge's abilities, I think the B-Wing can be better tailored to kill poo poo.

So it'd turn out something like Ibtisam with Push the Limit, Heavy Laser Cannon (Or autoblasters for extra :black101:), Fire Control System and whatever modification you want, I think Engine Upgrade is actually pretty appealing in this case.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I tried to kick Tycho up to 50 points. It is not possible.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Biggs Darklighter + R2-D2 + Advanced Proton Torps + Shield Upgrade is only 39 points. But everyone else would be your best friend.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

On the suggestion of a B-wing, I played around with the squadron builder and got this:

Ten Numb (B-Wing) + Fire Control System + Autoblaster + Proton Torpedo x2 + Marksmanship for 49 points.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

If you are in a B-Wing and need to make up all those points, you absolutely should have Advanced Sensors, no excuses.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I tried to kick Tycho up to 50 points. It is not possible.

Tycho with Push and Homing Missiles for target lock + focus send pretty solid, though.

Krassis might be good too, fairly durable, can drop bombs for big AoE and the HLC is good.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

alg posted:

If you are in a B-Wing and need to make up all those points, you absolutely should have Advanced Sensors, no excuses.

Not even "I don't want to have to find somewhere to keep the hunk of plastic that comes with that $30 card"?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Not even "I don't want to have to find somewhere to keep the hunk of plastic that comes with that $30 card"?

Those E-Wings can't come soon enough. Till then I'm using proxies, gently caress that noise. On the list of "ships I'd never remotely want to play as" in the Star Wars universe, the Imperial Shuttle is riding pretty loving high.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm really hoping the TIE Advanced (not the x1, aka the TIE Avenger) comes out at some point, that fighter is really sweet and I remember flying it a whole lot in TIE Fighter in the campaigns before the TIE Defender/Missile Boat came out.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

midge posted:

Those E-Wings can't come soon enough. Till then I'm using proxies, gently caress that noise. On the list of "ships I'd never remotely want to play as" in the Star Wars universe, the Imperial Shuttle is riding pretty loving high.

I'm definitely looking forward to be able to get AdvSensors somewhere else, but I've found the Lambda to be more fun than I'd expected the couple of times I've run it. It may be a big white cow, but it can put out some hurt and you can do some weird things with it, maneuver-wise that can really aggravate your opponent. Not saying I'm buying a second one, but I was surprised at how not terrible it was to fly the one I've got.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Tekopo posted:

I'm really hoping the TIE Advanced (not the x1, aka the TIE Avenger) comes out at some point, that fighter is really sweet and I remember flying it a whole lot in TIE Fighter in the campaigns before the TIE Defender/Missile Boat came out.

I'm hoping so too, but I'm not sure how easily it will fit between the Interceptor and the Defender, stats wise. In the games it was roughly a slightly faster Interceptor with shields and missiles, which is pretty much what the Defender is as well, only better. Maybe give it 2 shields and have it capable of the 1-speed white turns that regular TIE's get instead of crazy k-turns?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah, you'd have to fiddle around with its dial to make it stand out from the TIE Defender. It really does sit in an uncomfortable space that is filled by the TIE Defender/TIE x1/TIE Interceptor, unfortunately.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Last time I did a huge furball a shuttle with HLC and vader dominated hard. He would fly slow HLC then vader every turn then blow up before he had to turn around. That was a free for all though.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I think the shuttle is pretty legit, it just takes a certain touch to fly. It'll soak up fire , block flight paths and sling some ok firepower on the cheap.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Weissritter posted:

Going to be a special tournament this weekend at a local store - each player controls 1 fighter, up to 50 points. Still split into Imperials vs Rebels, 4 hour length, you chalk up points for kills, and can reenter from your team's edge after being killed.

If playing rebels, I was thinking Wedge as the base pilot, then upgrade towards 50 points. 3 attack dice with his ability means a easier time killing, since survivability does not seem as important. Though dying too easily means I will have to spend more time moving back into the engagement from respawn.

Any suggestions?

Luke
PTL
Engine upgrade
Ad Proton/Reg proton
Either R2 astro or R2-F2

R2F2 if you want to spend less time returning to the fight, R2 to pull off better turns with boost

For imps just take a loaded Soontir with shield + hull + ptl

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

zVxTeflon posted:

Luke
PTL
Engine upgrade
Ad Proton/Reg proton
Either R2 astro or R2-F2

R2F2 if you want to spend less time returning to the fight, R2 to pull off better turns with boost

For imps just take a loaded Soontir with shield + hull + ptl

Fel with PtL, TC, Shield. Focus + TL + another action every turn.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Weissritter posted:

Any suggestions?

Major Rhymer with 2x Advanced Proton Torpedoes, Push The Limit, Shield Upgrade, Proton Bombs- 50 points.

Fly off the board after using your ordnance so that you respawn with more and your opponents don't get points for killing you!

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
Yesterday I took my seven year old son to the gaming store to check out the transport, because he was really excited that one of the "big ships" were finally released. The guy told me that they weren't getting any in until Monday so we left and I said, "I bet Barnes and Noble have it. Let's just stop in and check it out." Sure enough, B&N have the transport but right next to the X-wing Miniatures is the Clearance poo poo with all kinds of random garbage just piled into these bins. I noticed a lone Millennium Falcon with a red 50% off sticker, which was weird because next to the bin are all these other Millennium Falcons in the regular display. Even when I was checking out the guy behind the register was like, "This is a mistake. That Clearance section is basically for seasonal items...However we will honor the discount." Boom! 15 dollar Millennium Falcon.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Weissritter posted:

Any suggestions?

If it's going to have a bunch of enemy ships, and you respawn after death, then... maybe Carnor Jax with Opportunist, Royal Guard, Stealth Device and one other modification depending on your tastes? Keep the enemy from getting Focus and Evade tokens with your ability, and Opportunist gives you an extra attack die, plus one more for being at Range 1. Stealth Device because you want to be hard to hit, and since you do get to rejoin after dying, it's not as much a worry that one shot will take it out, since once you die you come back with it again. And the fact that the ability effects all enemies at range 1 means that you'll get some goodwill from the other Imperial players.

Though this assumes you're okay playing Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreyaXI
May 1, 2011
So I bit the bullet and bought the Core set. Since this is pretty much Babby's first Wargame I didn't go to hard into it. Played the 31 point game against my wife (lost because gently caress dice) and I was curious to be a decent rebel pilot what should I buy for expansions? I know the Falcon is pretty much the end all be all buy but what else?

• Locked thread