Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Is there a proper masterwork wiki or anything of that sort out there yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
There is some Masterwork-stuff on the regular Wiki, and there's an extensive manual (bundled with the mod). Not aware of anything beyond that though.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Masterwork:Main_Page

Edit:
The manual is also online (http://mwmanual.mapforge.net/Manual.html) and there's a database of items (http://dfdb.info/).

Apoffys fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 27, 2014

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Thanks. I'm more concerned about ~fun~ like as per the recent discussion about living stone and whatnot.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Dammit, it looked a lot nicer on the embark screen.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The best embarks are when everyone and everything in your fellowship (sans the wagon) starts out packed on a single tile on the tippy-top peak of the highest mountain on the map.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

scamtank posted:

The best embarks are when everyone and everything in your fellowship (sans the wagon) starts out packed on a single tile on the tippy-top peak of the highest mountain on the map.

I dig mountain embarks, since one of my first settlements was on a mountainside back before there were sissy warnings to let you know that not having timber was a poor choice for your fortress. But I have to contest your claim.

The best embarks are terrifying areas where it's not raining heinous sludge or anything too weird. Some neat glumprong trees, everything else seems average. And then, while everything is seeming to be normal and you've repulsed the first assaults of goblins, skeletal elephants show up. Skeletal elephants that hate dwarves. To me this epitomizes the hubris of starting out and being lulled into a sense of "well I don't see why people say this is so hard" before everything goes irrevocably bad.

On the plus side, the new migrants had their pick of quarters once they were finished installing the non-survivors in tombs. And the dwarf caravan that came by really helped us with their "free everything" once we tunneled beneath their remains (since traveling over land was basically suicide). The downside is that eventually the undead elephants lost their suspicion and fear of the tunnels. Once that happened they just began smashing their way through everything in their hatred of the living.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Do skeletal elephants have trunks made of a long series of femur-shaped bones? That's what I picture.

I don't like flat embarks, they're probably the easiest to start out with (you can quickly dig out an emergency starting fortress in a soil layer, and quickly create a defensive moat) but anything other than a horizontal 2D-style gateway into a cliff face feels undwarvenly. I usually try to find an alpine meadow, preferably with a waterfall. That is the dwarven way.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Meadows are completely alright. Just make a keep on the surface first.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Do skeletal elephants have trunks made of a long series of femur-shaped bones? That's what I picture.

I don't like flat embarks, they're probably the easiest to start out with (you can quickly dig out an emergency starting fortress in a soil layer, and quickly create a defensive moat) but anything other than a horizontal 2D-style gateway into a cliff face feels undwarvenly. I usually try to find an alpine meadow, preferably with a waterfall. That is the dwarven way.

I picture skelephants as being trunkless, just a gaping maw and two giant tusks.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I want to start in a desert biome some time, and build a palace to a dwarven sultan. No brook or river, just digging straight down to the cavern waters like those sahara tribes did.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Has Kobold Camp been updated at all recently? Last version of it I saw was still in .31

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I have always started fortresses by digging into the side of a mountain, or a hill if I have to. Starting your fortress with a downward stairway in a meadow? What are you a hobbit?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Splode posted:

I have always started fortresses by digging into the side of a mountain, or a hill if I have to. Starting your fortress with a downward stairway in a meadow? What are you a hobbit?

I made a giant fortress out of wood on the flattest land i've ever seen. It was great, lots of land, giant moat from the stream, water was taken out of a well that was built on a bridge above the river (I had my barracks separate from the rest of my camp).

I eventually remade the bridge out of metal, different kinds of metals, different quality, etc. Who gave a poo poo, it was like someone was vomiting colour at the wooden fort in the middle of elven ambush land. Every time I ended up getting a few to many dwarves i'd march them outside with lovely weapons and armour to try and take out some of the ambushes.

Show those hobbits and elves how meadows should be built on :black101:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Splode posted:

It's actually really fun to build like a human. Big, open quarry, build an abbey or castle instead of a fortress. Aboveground crops only. Etc. It's especially Fun if you, like a proper noble, demand that all your farm/farmers and simple laborers stay outside the castle walls except in the event of a siege.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's actually really fun to build like a human. Big, open quarry, build an abbey or castle instead of a fortress. Aboveground crops only. Etc. It's especially Fun if you, like a proper noble, demand that all your farm/farmers and simple laborers stay outside the castle walls except in the event of a siege.

How do you deal with Trolls and other building destroyers? Or is that just part of the 'Fun'?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Splode posted:

How do you deal with Trolls and other building destroyers? Or is that just part of the 'Fun'?

You kill them with your badass military, of course.

E: Or at least stab them until they fall over unconscious and if they're unkillable you just dig a pit around them.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Splode posted:

A simple moat would keep most of them out, filling it with lava is optional. A roof to keep out the fliers is probably a good idea too (they can't destroy constructions like walls/floors).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Splode posted:

Moats, or part of the Fun, depending on how you prefer to play.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Apoffys posted:

A simple moat would keep most of them out, filling it with lava is optional. A roof to keep out the fliers is probably a good idea too (they can't destroy constructions like walls/floors).

Humans don't have moats.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

dwarf dwarf dwarf dwarf dwarf dwarf devlog

Toady One posted:

I've been through 20 or so issues so far -- much fewer than I anticipated, due to the various filming and audio recordings going on the last several days. It may be a while before we see something arise out of it, but it was fun, and there should be Scamps footage. In any case, animals talk to me less, talking to gods doesn't crash the game, there are fewer battle announcements from the underworld, you can't skip out of the load progress bars, vampire accusations work again, and that sort of thing.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Do previously injured and healed dwarves stand longer in combat than uninjured ones?

I was told that after a dwarf gets beat up enough he will basically have thicker skin and last longer in combat despite the yellow text in the health screen.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

scamtank posted:

dwarf dwarf dwarf dwarf dwarf dwarf devlog

What filming and audio recordings?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

No-one seems to know. :iiam:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sex Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress

Starring Tard and Zach Adams!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
He's been spending most of his time working on a kickstarter that he know's will bring in the moneys -

Scamps - a cats guide to dwarf fortress.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I would imagine a documentary or news thing about the game, but I could be wrong. :v:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Found the perfect dragon to slay.

Mistrum.

The very last female dragon in the world, though there are still a few males out. 500 years in, hundreds of notable kills. Associated with wealth and fire.

By killing the last female, I can personally guarantee the end of the dragons. :black101:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Met posted:

Found the perfect dragon to slay.

Mistrum.

The very last female dragon in the world, though there are still a few males out. 500 years in, hundreds of notable kills. Associated with wealth and fire.

By killing the last female, I can personally guarantee the end of the dragons. :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7XZEcMVds0

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

I thought she would have had a higher-pitched voice.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

TildeATH posted:

I thought she would have had a higher-pitched voice.

Only if she was tiny. Only in cartoons do larger-than-human sized creatures have high pitched voices.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I hope someone's doing a documentary on Dwarf Fortress, because I'd totally buy it.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Only if she was tiny. Only in cartoons do larger-than-human sized creatures have high pitched voices.

Uh, whales?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

DO YOU SEE DE DEVLOG-MAN // HOPPING OVER ON DE WHITE HOT SAND
HERE HE COME WITH SOME FOR ME // FRESHLY TAKEN FROM DE DEVLOG TREE

Toady One posted:

Here is a Future of the Fortress reply. Various issues have also been completed... book reading crash, arena crash after you play a fort game, broken guide selection, broken creature occupancy flags after emotional breakdown, messed up tree lighting flags, dwarf mode conversations breaking all their jobs over time, etc.

Here's an article by David Shimomura I was interviewed for in preparation for our upcoming appearance at TWO5SIX in Brooklyn next month.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was going to flatten around 80 levels of mountain for aesthetic reasons, then I decided it would just be easier to cut it in such a way that I can collapse off half the cliff.

5 dwarves are dead so far just channeling a third of the cut into the mountain.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

I was going to flatten around 80 levels of mountain for aesthetic reasons, then I decided it would just be easier to cut it in such a way that I can collapse off half the cliff.

5 dwarves are dead so far just channeling a third of the cut into the mountain.
You do realize it's all just going to fall straight down and make a pile there right?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, natural formations retain their shape when they fall. Only constructed things crumble.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, natural formations retain their shape when they fall. Only constructed things crumble.
Well, they collapse to fill all empty space but don't spread out. Anything in any empty pockets is gonna get crushed.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
drat you're all right, I don't know why I thought it would just collapse.

Well I guess it's still easier to just keep collapsing it level by level and just dig out the bottom because my dwarves seem to have issues with channeling large areas at once.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

drat you're all right, I don't know why I thought it would just collapse.

Well I guess it's still easier to just keep collapsing it level by level and just dig out the bottom because my dwarves seem to have issues with channeling large areas at once.
I think it's relatively safe if you just channel the top layer off and wait for them to finish before ordering the next layer. Plus you don't need to keep buidlign remote-activated supports and keeping your dwarves out of the danger zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Just shave it off layer by layer with dig upward ramp designations. These cut off the ceiling too, so your dwarves don't have to climb the deconstruction site to do their digging. Lone ramps that get left by this method thanks to bugs can be stripped with the remove stairs/ramps designation.

Also, if you collapse a large enough chunk of terrain, you get weird splitting along cell boundaries which can mess up your precious collapses. Is a real pain when doing drops to block off parts of cavern.