Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nahxela posted:

Yes, you should always upgrade your casting implement. It'll buff their spell casting damage. The one Felkin sells is not a bad chime, the Priest's Chime is solid. If you want to stick with Faith and get to 50 Fth, the Dragon Chime is your eventual goal. Additionally, if you don't use your chime to cast hexes, you can imbue them with Lightning/a Boltstone to further buff their miracle damage.

For shields, Maughlin sells some decent ones.

Sounds good, thanks for the advice! Any shield in particular that is preferred? Yeah I wasn't planning on using Hexes (at least not with this char).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Dr. Carwash posted:

My opinion: game is too easy. 99% of bosses are complete pushovers. Didn't the DLC for Dark Souls get rave reviews? Why didn't they throw more fights like Artorias into DS2? That fight was loving badass. If every armored dude that I had to fight in DS2 was like Artorias, that would have been perfect. Instead, we get a bunch of fat sloths that are literally incapable of killing you unless you run out of healing.

It's to easily broken. Certain characters are just made for the game, while there are only two or three actual different bosses. (Four legged creature boss, armored sword boss. The blobs.) They try to make up for it by ramping up the damage over time without actually changing anything else up, turning it into a aggressive sort of damage race.

Think of it. How many bosses consist of strafe left, toward their weapon. They swing, you roll into it safely. They usually swing again, but it's fine. Occasionally they'll swing down for a burst of some kind. Later on in the game it's popular to have some sort of explosion attack. Occasionally a stomp is thrown in. Rinse and repeat. (This is true about regular enemies, too, as the game goes on.) Beast bosses you shove yourself into their hindlegs and swing wildly. Sometimes they lift a leg to stomp at you, but otherwise they're left leaping back, biting or firing a laser, because for some reason a lot of bosses have lasers.

Then the final boss just emulates all three.

Dark souls 2 has a lot more bosses then one! Except it doesn't. It has less enemies, too, for that matter.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Xaris posted:

Sounds good, thanks for the advice! Any shield in particular that is preferred? Yeah I wasn't planning on using Hexes (at least not with this char).
The tower shield he sells is pretty solid, and the kite shield he sells will also do alright. They both don't have 100% phys block, though. There's a shield with 100% phys block after a drop past the Pursuer boss area, but it needs twinkling titanite to upgrade. I forget where some of the other shields are found.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cardiovorax posted:

Visually great, though. It's like the Black Gulch was the one zone where they actually allowed the graphics team to use all their weird and bizarre ideas that the rest of the game just misses and that DS1 had all over the place.

Have you even made it to Shrine of Anama yet? If not you should probably hold off on your comments.

Lori posted:

The gutter wasn't difficult, but it was definitely obnoxious and not fun to play.

This. I also think Blighttown is easy after you've cleared it once and thus know where the toxic snipers are and where to go. However, its still annoying as hell to go through, and so is the Gutter. Smashing all those statues gets old pretty fast, and if you happen to slip off a ledge or just want to go do some stuff in Majula, you'll have to do it all again!

At least it doesn't have a loving swamp though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So, I've been wearing the chest and cuffs from the Lost Sinner set for a while because I like the way they look.

I just realized that the arm slot (the Sinner's cuffs hanging off your right arm) actually up the damage of pyromancy which is awesome and explains the buff icon I've had forever but couldn't figure out what was giving me it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm pretty far into the game already (probably midway?), with multiple options avaliable to me, but I feel like I might have also missed some optional bosses along the way. Does anyone have a non-spoilery way that I can find out what bosses I haven't fought yet in areas I've already explored?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I have 1.5k health and someone just one-shot me with something that looked like Force. :wtc:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Internet Kraken posted:

Have you even made it to Shrine of Anama yet? If not you should probably hold off on your comments.
Yes? I don't think it's much of anything, though.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

poptart_fairy posted:

I have 1.5k health and someone just one-shot me with something that looked like Force. :wtc:
That was Wrath of God. Yeah, it does that much damage.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Wrath of God is really easy to dodge though, just roll. The more I play this game the more and more obvious every single attack telegraph gets, and the players are starting to be as predictable as the AI :smith:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cardiovorax posted:

Yes? I don't think it's much of anything, though.

Well then I have no idea what you're looking for exactly. Dark Souls was hardly weird and bizzare "all over the place". It was well designed but still had plenty of standard stuff like sewers and fortresses, which isn't a problem. Dark Souls 2 has those as well but also has its share of weird place so what exactly is the problem?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lori posted:

Wrath of God is really easy to dodge though, just roll. The more I play this game the more and more obvious every single attack telegraph gets, and the players are starting to be as predictable as the AI :smith:

He just flung his hand up and it hit me across the belltower. :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Internet Kraken posted:

Well then I have no idea what you're looking for exactly. Dark Souls was hardly weird and bizzare "all over the place". It was well designed but still had plenty of standard stuff like sewers and fortresses, which isn't a problem. Dark Souls 2 has those as well but also has its share of weird place so what exactly is the problem?

It's not Dark Souls 1. That's their problem. So far every complaint is, it ain't Dark Souls 1.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
These loving butterfly wings!

I bought the butterfly wings because I'm a pretty princess and I poison people and use dex so they're really efficient, anyway I accidentally pissed off the crow lady boss equipment mechant.

uuuugh

87000 souls later all sins forgiven...

Immediately pisse off gavlan instead

UUUURGH

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Dr. Carwash posted:

My opinion: game is too easy. 99% of bosses are complete pushovers. Didn't the DLC for Dark Souls get rave reviews? Why didn't they throw more fights like Artorias into DS2? That fight was loving badass.

The DLC came about when they had like 6 months to work with assets that already existed for the most part. Wouldn't you know it, when you have a large amount of time to make a couple of levels as extra content you can put an incredible amount of detail and polish on that small section of the game?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Motherfucker posted:

These loving butterfly wings!

I bought the butterfly wings because I'm a pretty princess and I poison people and use dex so they're really efficient, anyway I accidentally pissed off the crow lady boss equipment mechant.

uuuugh

87000 souls later all sins forgiven...

Immediately pisse off gavlan instead

UUUURGH
The Guilty Pay the Price.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Shindragon posted:

It's not Dark Souls 1. That's their problem. So far every complaint is, it ain't Dark Souls 1.

It's a shame they couldn't just give us more of the exact same thing, really. Because that's what I wanted. More of exactly what I had with better netcode. The DLC for DS1 was absolutely perfect in every way, especially the bosses. Artorias and Manus were the most fun I've ever had with a singleplayer game.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Nahxela posted:

The Guilty Pay the Price.

I'm only guilty of being fabulous. :(

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

I think that boss soul weapons are supposed to at least perform better than their equivalents in Dark Souls 1 because for each upgrade point they get a shitload more damage compared to run-of-the-mill weapons. So a +10 longsword does, say, 200% more damage than an un-upgraded longsword, but a +5 Boss' Big Sword does 400% more than an un-upgraded Boss' Big Sword

The issue is by the time you've got a lot of dragonbone relics handy (probably near the end of the game), you've already got a few +10 weapons that revolve around your stats, and the boss weapons can't even hold a candle to them.

The Smelter sword at +5 (an ultra greatsword) deals less damage than my dark bastard sword +10. Like...why?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lori posted:

It's a shame they couldn't just give us more of the exact same thing, really. Because that's what I wanted. More of exactly what I had with better netcode. The DLC for DS1 was absolutely perfect in every way, especially the bosses. Artorias and Manus were the most fun I've ever had with a singleplayer game.

Makes me sad that I never played the DLC. Don't think I could go back from 60 FPS, though, and getting that in DaS1 is still glitchy as hell. :(

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
what fun :haw:

There was a fourth pot off-screen somewhere.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Lori posted:

There are so many quality of life improvements in 2 and minor gameplay tweaks that I prefer how this game plays entirely. If you could have Dark Souls 1's world design, Demon's Souls' atmosphere, Dark Souls 2's gameplay, and the Prepare to Die Edition Content's level and boss design you would have the best game ever made.

Maybe after the Kadokawa buyout, FromSoft's team will expand a ton so it's not just like 100 people working on these games anymore and get the budget to do so. Who knows.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

There are so many quality of life improvements in 2 and minor gameplay tweaks that I prefer how this game plays entirely. If you could have Dark Souls 1's world design, Demon's Souls' atmosphere, Dark Souls 2's gameplay, and the Prepare to Die Edition Content's level and boss design you would have the best game ever made.

Maybe after the Kadokawa buyout, FromSoft's team will expand a ton so it's not just like 100 people working on these games anymore and get the budget to do so. Who knows.

I dunno man, the more people you have the more the feel of the game tends to get homogenized.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
I don't like some of DS2's gameplay changes. Rolling feels weird even at 100 Agility, it seems like it should be tighter / more rigid if that makes sense. I'm also not a huge fan of the "armor is even more useless than before" and the changes to equipload. One thing I especially hate is how much more damage poison does to you. I do, however, like the new estus system. I feel like having 20 flasks was just a giant crutch after making due with so few for so long. Then there's the new human/hollow thing that plays out really well in my opinion (despite how much I hate being hollow). I love it that it rewards you with humanity for helping with bosses, too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm glad they tried new things with the story and world in Dark Souls 2. They could of just done something similar to Dark Souls but instead they decided to create a different kind of experience. I think it worked pretty well. Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 both provide different story experiences, and both are good in their own way. The only significant problem I have with the story in Dark Souls 2 is that it feels like nobody sat down and thought "how do we connect all this stuff together?". In Dark Souls the world fit together near perfectly. There was a logical progression from one area to the next. Dark Souls 2 has plenty of great areas but very few of them fit together well, so the setting feels less organic.

Transitions from one area to the next can be pretty important. I think descending into the Gutter by falling down the massive pit in Majula is a great transition. Then you have ones like reaching Iron Keep which made literally no sense whatsoever.

VVV I agree that the Emerald Warden is pretty awful. I get why she is in the game but the execution of her character is really bad. I haven't finished the Dark Pilgrim stuff yet, but my general impression of the dark stuff is that everyone who makes excessive use of hexes has gone crazy. So admittedly I didn't pay attention to that guys rambling because I think he's just a nut.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 1, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm glad they tried new things with the story and world in Dark Souls 2. They could of just done something similar to Dark Souls but instead they decided to create a different kind of experience. I think it worked pretty well. Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 both provide different story experiences, and both are good in their own way. The only significant problem I have with the story in Dark Souls 2 is that it feels like nobody sat down and thought "how do we connect all this stuff together?". In Dark Souls the world fit together near perfectly. There was a logical progression from one area to the next. Dark Souls 2 has plenty of great areas but very few of them fit together well, so the setting feels less organic.

Transitions from one area to the next can be pretty important. I think descending into the Gutter by falling down the massive pit in Majula is a great transition. Then you have ones like reaching Iron Keep which made literally no sense whatsoever.

Meanwhile I felt like Dark Souls 2 made constant lore and story missteps. Two big ones for me:

Darkdiver Grahl. AKA Anselm from Kingdom loving Hearts. I'm convinced after doing the Pilgrims of the Dark thing that whichever writer at From had any idea what the Abyss or Humanity was about has left, because this guy is a hot mess of utter nonsense. You have unlocked the truest Dark within you! Dark darkity dark! Holy poo poo guy what does that even mean? I'm half expecting him to mid-rant tell me that now, having unlocked my truest Dark (????) that now we're going to go kick Mickey Mouse and Sora's rear end.

The Emerald Herald. Searching for the truth amidst the ruins of Lordran was fun because anyone who could tell you the truth is dead or insane. You kind of lose the satisfaction of gradually peeling back the mystery of Drangleic when all the answers are right there on hand, only held out of reach because of one rear end in a top hat's determination to be pointlessly Anime Mysterious. I really think she basically shouldn't even exist at this point.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lori posted:

I don't like some of DS2's gameplay changes. Rolling feels weird even at 100 Agility, it seems like it should be tighter / more rigid if that makes sense.
You get used to the new movement very quickly. The slower movement feels a lot more balanced, you need to be way more careful with your timing during fights. It grows on you.

quote:

I'm also not a huge fan of the "armor is even more useless than before" and the changes to equipload.
What? They relaxed the requirements. Now you have a good roll until 70% equip load, but Poise received a tremendous nerf. Until you have access to the ultra heavy sets in the endgame the most basic attacks will still stunlock you, it's pretty stupid but it reinforces that Dks2 is a slower, more defensive game.

quote:

One thing I especially hate is how much more damage poison does to you.

The section of the game where you really need to deal with poison is short, if you're careful you shouldn't be poisoned at all and then you pretty much never see poison-based enemies/traps again. If you get poisoned in PvP you're basically hosed, though.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Iron Keep is probably my favourite level idea.

A giant-rear end keep made out of brick and iron built on top of a massive loving volcano, so heavy that it starts sinking into it after they wake up a demon in the iron they were mining to make it.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

You get used to the new movement very quickly. The slower movement feels a lot more balanced, you need to be way more careful with your timing during fights. It grows on you.

I hope it will.

Bobnumerotres posted:

What? They relaxed the requirements. Now you have a good roll until 70% equip load, but Poise received a tremendous nerf. Until you have access to the ultra heavy sets in the endgame the most basic attacks will still stunlock you, it's pretty stupid but it reinforces that Dks2 is a slower, more defensive game.

I don't like the nerf to poise, and I don't like it that you can fastroll with under 70%. In DS2 I stunlock the vast majority of players I go up against (I've had 99 Titanite Chunks and Tokens of Spite for a long while) I really liked the old system. Even if I ran into someone in a full-Havel's getup it was still managable and fun to fight them even though they wouldn't ever stagger. I can appreciate taking things slowly and playing more defensively, but it gets really dull when every hit you give or take means you could very well get stunlocked.

Bobnumerotres posted:

The section of the game where you really need to deal with poison is short, if you're careful you shouldn't be poisoned at all and then you pretty much never see poison-based enemies/traps again. If you get poisoned in PvP you're basically hosed, though.

The PvP is the main reason I'm hating poison. Someone can deal next to no damage with their actual attacks, but the poison will do all of their work for them while they run away from me and it turns into this dumb game of cat and mouse on a timelimit. That and the Pyromancy / Sorcery that inflict it (or toxic) are annoying as hell.

Lori fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 1, 2014

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

A giant-rear end keep made out of brick and iron built on top of a massive loving volcano, so heavy that it starts sinking into it after they wake up a demon in the iron they were mining to make it.

It's pretty kickass all around, and it also doesn't induce spontaneous blindness unlike the lava from lost izalith.

Lava owns.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Lori posted:

The PvP is the main reason I'm hating poison. Someone can deal next to no damage with their actual attacks, but the poison will do all of their work for them while they run away from me and it turns into this dumb game of cat and mouse on a timelimit. That and the Pyromancy / Sorcery that inflict it (or toxic) are annoying as hell.

Eh, this isn't so bad. Try somebody with a poison whip until they get it to stick, and then they switch to an actual weapon.

It's kind of boring to fight against, honestly.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

It's pretty kickass all around, and it also doesn't induce spontaneous blindness unlike the lava from lost izalith.

Lava owns.

Too bad its location makes no sense. I'm still not over this. I would've been happy if the elevator just went down a mile below the earth.

quote:

I can appreciate taking things slowly and playing more defensively, but it gets really dull when every hit you give or take means you could very well get stunlocked.

I like the effect the Poise nerf has had on PvP, you don't get bass cannons anymore just brute forcing through players. Getting in a good hit can basically end a duel, so spacing and defense are really important. Along with the changes to mobility, the fights feel a lot more tense and balanced instead of a race to who-backstabs-who.

Unless they're using great resonant soul then gently caress it balance just gets cast into the wind why the gently caress did From even put magic in these games god damnit

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

I basically imagine the Old Iron King having the same thinking from the Holy Grail. "When I first came here, this was all magma. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a volcano, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the lava. So I built a second one. That sank into the lava. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the lava. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Chosen Undead, the strongest castle in all of Drangleic."

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Poison Moss can help with poison a lot, just saying. Kinda tough to find an opening to use it though.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Kinda tough to find for a long time, too, though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

Kinda tough to find for a long time, too, though.

This is the worst of it, really. Not only did they give poison a super buff but you don't have access to good amounts of antidote until AFTER the poison sections are over. Poison resist doesn't do jack loving poo poo, either.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'd just crack two basic life gems and not worry about poison when going through some areas.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Bobnumerotres posted:

Too bad its location makes no sense. I'm still not over this. I would've been happy if the elevator just went down a mile below the earth.

All cursed undead have severe memory issues, you included.

You just forgot the trek south-east from the windmill lift into the mountains. (Look at the official map)

Edit: also the area was originally supposed to be around/near the Last Giant.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I love this game.