Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hooman posted:

Holy poo poo that picture.

"Tony Abbott is a crying woman and terrible, just like known terrible, crying woman Julia Gillard"

I don't even know how the gently caress that is considered even partially acceptable.

It can't misogyny because tony abbott is a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Piketty is a good read.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They don't need to sell it, they're going to get away with it and everything else with minimal resistance from anyone.

On the other hand, a bunch of Coalition MPs / Senators have publicly disagreed with it, as has News. Abbott's personal position has never been that secure, nor is it an especially popular government.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Used this to explain asset sales:

Selling the Holden you owned and used for business, and getting a push bike on lay-by forever.

It got the point across that asset sales bad, but I'm not sure it's a great allegory.

Anyway it worked. :toot:

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Woot :woop:

Only two more minutes till the full report is released and we can know how truly fukt we are

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Freudian Slip posted:

how truly fukt we are

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Breaking news
Commission of Audit calls for higher payments for services and cuts to welfare
Commission recommends pension age be raised to 70, the introduction of the NDIS should be slowed
Commission wants bulk-billing co-payment of $15 doctor visits

Quelle loving surprise

e:

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 1, 2014

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
There's no way they can actually implement half this stuff.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I think they'd get half of it. And thats the point you ram through as much as you can to follow your agenda. And this is before the Great Recession really kicks in.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
ABC article:

quote:

Commission of Audit report released by Federal Government
By political correspondent Emma Griffiths

A raft of potentially explosive spending cuts to government services and payments have been recommended by the Abbott Government's Commission of Audit.

Family payments, child care, health care, education, unemployment and pension payments, aged care and the National Disability Insurance Scheme are all among those areas in the firing line.

The audit also recommends swingeing cuts to industry assistance and the public service and a radical shakeup of the way all governments tax and do business.

Since it was set up in October, the commission has focused on the 15 biggest Commonwealth spending areas and found the long-term outlook for the budget is "ominous".

Its 86 recommendations, detailed in more than 1,200 pages, address major structural changes that the commission says could save the budget tens of billions of dollars a year and achieve a surplus of 1 per cent by 2023-24.

Commission chief and former head of the Business Council of Australia Tony Shepherd says the best course of action for the Government is to "act now, act incrementally, act fairly".

He has advised against "sudden shocks" for people, but says the Government "must bring future spending commitments in line with our means."

"Let's spend the taxpayers' money as though it were our money," Mr Shepherd said.

"Let's spend it carefully and frugally."

The commission says in its report that it has "not undertaken detailed costings of these recommendations" and says portfolio-by-portfolio reviews should yield "significant additional savings".

The Government has already said that some of the suggestions will be adopted, some will require more analysis, and others will be knocked back.

But the Government's full response will not be outlined until the May 13 budget is handed down.

Families

People with children would be hit with cuts to Family Tax payments, with FTB Part B abolished, and Part A subject to tighter eligibility tests.

Around 60 per cent of families, mostly single parent families or those with one parent staying at home, receive FTB Part B, which pays a maximum of $4,241.

But the commission says it is "not well targeted" and is a "significant" disincentive for mothers to work.

The other payment, FTB Part A, costs the budget around $15 billion a year and is paid to around 70 per cent of families.

The commission says the income cut-off should be lowered to better help "those in need".

Childcare and parental leave

Childcare payments, currently the Childcare Benefit and Childcare Rebate, are proposed to be merged and means-tested.

However, the commission recommends the payment be available for types of child care not currently covered, including nannies.

That would be funded by savings made to the Prime Minister's signature wage-replacement paid parental leave scheme. The commission wants to lower the threshold to average yearly earnings – currently $57,460.

Yesterday, in a major backdown, Tony Abbott confirmed he has already decided to lower the cap from his preferred $150,000 annual wage to $100,000.

Health

The health system is currently "not well-equipped" to deal with Australia's ageing population and rising costs, according to the commission.

It says high income earners should be forced to take out private health insurance to cover basic health needs, in place of Medicare, with no access to the private health insurance rebate.

The widely reported Medicare co-payment is also on the commission's wish-list, but at a higher rate than has been mooted: $15 per visit and $5 for concession card holders, instead of the $6 fee for high-income earners.

It wants cuts to the $19 billion Medicare Benefits Schedule, which includes hundreds of medical services, for example pathology.

Free medicines would also be a thing of the past, with broad changes recommended to the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.

The commission says co-payments for medicines should be increased by $5 and for concession card holders a $2 fee should be imposed when the safety net limit has been reached.

Learn or earn

Schools spending from the Commonwealth should be capped at 2017 levels from 2018 and beyond, according to the commission, with all policy and funding responsibility handed to the states.

It wants university students to pay more for their education, calling for "increasing the average proportion of costs paid by students from 41 per cent to 55 per cent".

People between the ages of 22 and 30 with no children who have been on unemployment benefits for a year should be required to move to areas with more job opportunities or lose the payment, the commission argues.

Growth in the minimum wage should be contained, by establishing a benchmark of 44 per cent of average weekly earnings.

Retirement

Changes to pensions are central to the commission's proposals. It calls for the age pension – the budget's single biggest item at $40 billion – to be indexed to 28 per cent of average weekly earnings instead of the current link to the higher average weekly earnings of men.

The commission says the rationale is an "anachronism" given the major role women now play in the workforce. As previously reported, it wants the age pension eligibility age raised to 70, by 2053, and says the change would not affect anyone born before 1965.

The disability support pension and carers payments would also be subject to tighter eligibility rules.

Acknowledging the "significant risks involved", the commission has also recommended the Government examine the option of outsourcing the government payment system currently administered by Centrelink.

The age at which someone could access their superannuation – currently set at 60 - should also be increased to five years before the age pension age, according to the commission.

It wants fewer people able to access the seniors health care card by including superannuation payments – for the first time - in the eligibility test.

The commission also argues the full value of the family home should be included in the means-test for aged care support.

NDIS

The National Disability Insurance Scheme, which passed Parliament with bipartisan support and to wide acclaim a year ago, is also set to be wound back.

The commission says it must be introduced more slowly than the July 1, 2019 date set by the previous Labor government. It also wants it implemented by "exercising budget control to ensure long-term financial viability".

Public service targeted

A key theme running throughout the report is the need for cuts to the public service to avoid duplication and to allow the private sector to step in.

The commission says if all of its recommendations are adopted, 15,000 public servants would lose their jobs.

It wants wholesale changes to the number and role of government bodies, reducing the number of existing major government bodies from 73 by cutting seven, merging 35, consolidating 22 into departments and agencies and privatising nine, with a further 26 to be reassessed.
Taxes

One of the more startling recommendations from the commission is that the Commonwealth allow the states and territories to collect income tax to "make them more responsible in their own sphere".

It gives the example that the current rate of 32 per cent could be cut to 22 per cent, allowing the states to raise the gap or set their own level in a "state income tax surcharge".

If adopted, it would allow a US-type scheme of tax competition between states with a guarantee that taxes would not rise overall.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I just hope people see this poo poo for what it is

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

END OF UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE, because we should spare our American buddies the embarrassment of being the only allegedly first-world country without it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

State income taxes :shepface:

Although there's nooooo way the Feds would pass that.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Fakeed™ Butler ‏@fakeedbutler 4m

Breaking: loving boomers dodge yet another bullet pic.twitter.com/OSwE0pOQli

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Nup, that's what Newscorp is for. Fair fax won't rock the boat either. ABC keeping its head down.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

BCR posted:

I think they'd get half of it. And thats the point you ram through as much as you can to follow your agenda. And this is before the Great Recession really kicks in.

Yeah you're right. It looks like they're just shoveling as much poo poo and seeing how much of it you can swallow.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Classic rich guy wishlist.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

How does that work though? People born in 1983 will turn 70 in 2053.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

adamantium|wang posted:

Quelle loving surprise

e:

Sun in the bottom left corner is :eyepop:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How does that work though? People born in 1983 will turn 70 in 2053.

I think they're just looking to push the eligibility age up anytime before that date but anyone born before 65 will be safe regardless.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

adamantium|wang posted:

ABC article: The health system is currently "not well-equipped" to deal with Australia's ageing population and rising costs, according to the commission. 

Which is why the National Preventive Health Agency needs to be abolished.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
this is what happens when you appoint a bunch of idiot hell fuckers to 'fix' the budget

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Seams posted:

this is what happens when you appoint a bunch of idiot hell fuckers to 'fix' the budget

I remember taking my dog to the vet to get 'fixed', this seems eerily similar.

piss explosion
Apr 2, 2005
I THINK MURDER AND BIGOTRY ARE FUNNY!!
The adults are back in charge.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I've heard several great things about this book. I'm no economonist, despite working for a bank, but I am really interested in sitting down and trying to wrap my head around it.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I need a break from being mad. Can somebody post this article?
http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/05/01/rundle-wingnuttery-and-racists-the-last-gasp-of-a-dying-right/

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

I've heard several great things about this book. I'm no economonist, despite working for a bank, but I am really interested in sitting down and trying to wrap my head around it.

Yeah I'm interested to know if this is a good read for someone without a strong economic background.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

quote:

Dang nabbit — there I was all gearing up for a tour of the intercontinental assorted wingnuttery of the Right this week, a perfect grand slam, when Gerry Adams was hauled in for questioning over the murder of an alleged “informer” in 1972. Gerry Adams, the proud Irish freedom fighter and peaceful Sinn Fein memb- ah, who am I kidding? He’ll probably wriggle out of it.

Back to the wingnuts. In the United States, the big story over the past two weeks has been the rise and fall of a Nevada rancher named Cliven Bundy, who set a new record for being first a hero, and then a liability for the US Right. Bundy — the surname was surely a warning — is a cattle rancher who grazes his herds on federally owned land in Nevada. Twenty years ago he stopped paying fees (which he had paid for years) after some rule changes. The US government’s Bureau of Land Management pursued him through court judgments in their favour for two decades — Bundy making money off the cattle all the way through — before eventually moving in to confiscate the herds.

That’s when a stand-off developed. Bundy and his family, and a number of supporters, armed to the teeth, refused to budge. Bundy began giving daily press conferences and announced that he did not recognise the United States government — only that of Nevada, a sovereign state. This is a position similar to that of the growing “sovereign citizen” movement: people — OK, angry white men — who reserve the right to only obey the laws they recognise as constitutional. Such anarchism would be anathema to a Right who believe in the rule of law, you would think.

You would think, but as Bundy began giving daily press conferences in glorious wingnut gonzo style, he was feted by the Right — in particular by Sean Hannity, Catholic-pageboy-tonsured Fox News anchor, who praised Bundy as a “patriot” (for Nevada, presumably).

In the National Review Online, obsessive anarcho-conservative Kevin Williamson compared Bundy to Gandhi, for standing up to tyrannical power — even though the power Gandhi stood up to was the one that the people who founded the (non-existent) US stood up to.

Bundy’s daily pressers continued for days, on various topics — eventually only local press and the omnipresent New York Times was there. Thus it was that the Grey Lady got the goods, when, on Tuesday last week, Bundy began musing about race relations.He had been driving past a “Negro” housing project in North Vegas and:

“… in front of that government house the door was usually open and the older people and the kids — and there is always at least a half-a-dozen people sitting on the porch — they didn’t have nothing to do. They didn’t have nothing for their kids to do. They didn’t have nothing for their young girls to do.

“And because they were basically on government subsidy, so now what do they do? … They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn’t get no more freedom.

“They got less freedom.”

Oh noes. If Bundy had been an Obama organiser under deep cover, he couldn’t have done more damage. A lot of crap remarks can be explained away by the Right — but the desirability of slavery ain’t one of them. Fox held out for a while then cracked, Hannity denouncing the remarks as “beyond repugnant”, while lamely remarking that he had supported Bundy’s stand, not the man himself. NRO’s slow backing away from the man — he was not like Gandhi, his situation was — is a delicious read.

But then, reversal! Bundy’s remarks had been edited! Those nefarious liberals again! When the full tape was played it revealed that Bundy had said Mexicans are good family people. So that was all right, then.

Quite aside from the ludicrous inconsistency in celebrating a right-wing anti-statist — while still moaning that Obama would never have been President if the American people had known about his history with Weatherman bomber Bill Ayers — the rush to canonise shows an increasing desperation on the part of the Right. I mean what part of armed sovereign citizen giving shotgun sermons in the desert doesn’t set off alarm bells?

“Magical thinking has become the norm, as has a near-hysterical white skin victimology.”

But though they are cruising towards a good mid-term result, deep down the Right know that their chance of winning the White House in ‘16 — or ‘20 or ‘24 — is remote. Magical thinking has become the norm, as has a near-hysterical white skin victimology. Hence they doubled down on “political correctness” when LA Clippers basketball team owner — a saurian white guy named Donald Sterling (pictured) — was caught on tape berating his (young, Asian) girlfriend for bringing a black man to a game. There being one or two black men in the team, this looked suspiciously like a plantation model of sports ownership. With Sterling’s friends defending him (including black superstar Kareem Abdul-Jabbar), the Right decided this was an issue of … privacy, and had to begin yet another series of articles with “X is a racist but …”. That worked — until NBA players threatened what US papers called a “boycott” (i.e., a strike), if something wasn’t done. Within an afternoon, the LA Clippers were on the market, and Sterling had been banned from games for life.

The US wasn’t the only place where they couldn’t get race right. Across the pond, the wacky UK Independence Party is on course to become the No. 1 party in the vote for the European Parliament, a body it wants the UK to withdraw from. They’re polling at 38% (turnout is about 20-25% — in some areas as low as 10-15%), with Labour on 27%, Con 18%, and Lib Dems 7%. Such a result would be an embarrassing absurdity for the UK-EU elite, and it has been built on UKIP’s ability to draw in socially conservative Labour voters — many of them once quite leftish (and therefore deluded about UKIP’s Thatcherite intent) — but decidedly not-racist.

So it’s been with increasing glee that everyone has watched as UKIP’s campaign has self-unravelled. First there was the poster campaign featuring a “British builder” scared about his job — who was an Irish actor, working as an immigrant — and a young woman “ordinary voter” who had decided that UKIP made sense — because she was their events organiser (and days later, the victim of a circulated revenge sex tape). The would-be feature candidate of a five-minute TV slot had to be suspended after saying that all Africans should kill themselves, another candidate said that Ed Miliband wasn’t really British — his father was Polish — and was only here to take an Englishman’s job — and everyone’s favourite was Andre Lampitt, who said black comedian Lenny Henry should go back to a black country. Henry was born in Dudley, in the Midlands — in an area called the Black Country, for its industrial heritage.

All crazy in a very British way, with none of the US hysteria — just suburban and village souls quietly going obsessively mad in Little-Sodding-On-The-Crutch, until they get national media exposure and it all goes pear-shaped, innit? The hysteria was all in the political class, which decided — with days to go until the election — to go in hard on the party, and its Toby Jug leader Nigel Farage, who got a roasting on TV for employing his German wife as his secretary when a Brit could do the job (no one ventured the line that since duties include wanting to have sex with Nigel Farage occasionally, the job counts as having unique prerequisites that cannot be locally sourced). The call was on to portray UKIP as racist and sinister — which as usually gormless Labour former deputy PM Jacqui Smith observed, seemed designed to speed uncertain Labour/UKIP voters faster than ever to Farage’s party. The only problem for UKIP in all of this was that it actually had to sack candidates faster than it could find their replacements.

But for all the embarrassment of UKIP topping the European Parliament polls, Labour will not be sorry. UKIP’s support is still Tory heavy — a 10% vote across the board in 2015 will turn the Tories into a one-term government. The obvious reason why in their very different ways, these hysterical race scares are kicking off everywhere — our local bubbling burko, Andrew Bolt, having been quieted somewhat — is simply that the world they want to hold off is inexorably winning. As we get closer to a time when the idea of a white national ethnicity makes no sense in these countries, the temperature rises until the lid can’t be kept on. Craziest, best moment: has-been politician, has-been candidate, has-been commentator Sarah Palin telling the National Rifle Association “water-boarding is how we baptise terrorists”.

By their acts ye shall know them. Which might also apply to Mr Adams.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GRundle posted:

E: gently caress, beaten.

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

I'm not that far into it (50 pages or so), but it's been very readable so far.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Amethyst posted:

Yeah I'm interested to know if this is a good read for someone without a strong economic background.
Apparently it's not too bad if you're willing to put the effort of reading it.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

*tips fedora*
thanks

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
This government is really getting me down :(

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

ColtMcAsskick posted:

This government is really getting me down :(

:smith::hf::smith:

I was explaining the refugee :siren:situation:siren: to my Norwegian housemate the other evening, he was kind of horrified.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

:barf:

I don't want to live here any more. :smith:

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

This Commission of Audit report is clearly designed to be as ridiculously harsh as possible, so the budget in a couple of weeks seems nice in comparison.

We're hosed.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Endman posted:

I don't want to live :smith:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Endman posted:

:barf:

I don't want to live here any more. :smith:

If they get rid of the PBS and gut the public health sector, you probably wont live here much longer.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

GoldStandardConure posted:

If they get rid of the PBS and gut the public health sector, you probably wont live here much longer.

Honestly, with the combined cost of all my medication without the PBS, you're probably right.

Also this:

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Amethyst posted:

You don't need an economic background at all, really. It's not some Gladwell-level fluff, but it's also not an overly challenging read. He structures his arguments well, and explains concepts along the way.

On the other hand, that doesn't make it a good read per se. It ambles all over the place like a pensioner driving home after a box of sherry. It could have been cut down by like 40%.

TL;DR: interesting lightbulb moments interspersed with meandering slogs. It's The Lord of the Rings with a pocket protector.

If you couldnt be bothered, Paul Krugman's analysis is an excellent read.

*edit*
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/may/08/thomas-piketty-new-gilded-age/

BCR posted:

Selling the Holden you owned and used for business, and getting a push bike on lay-by forever.

It got the point across that asset sales bad, but I'm not sure it's a great allegory.

It really depends whether it's a) a natural monopoly asset where it's stupid to put it in private hands or b)some non-core thing that you own because of historical reasons but you should probably sell.

a)
You are a welder. People give you money to weld poo poo, because welders are expensive and everyone owning a welder is retarded.

You take the welder down to cash converters, get a lovely price for it, then make some vague agreement that you can rent it back from them for a set price.

It's always going to work out badly for you, because Cash Converters know that it's the only welder in town and you need it, so they charge you more than it would cost to just keep the drat thing.

On top of that, they poke holes in your lovely contract and use thinly-veiled justifications to raise the rental price. But since you are the only welder in town, you just gently caress over your customers.

You are a loving idiot and have no business running anything, let alone a welding business/country.

b)
You are a welder. People give you money to weld poo poo, you weld poo poo.
For some historical reason, you also own a jetski that you rent out to uncashed-up bogans on weekends. It's really nothing to do with your job, but you make a bit of money on it and also waste a bit of time on it.

You sell the jetski, because you don't know poo poo about running a jetski business, and in theory the capital sitting there would be put to far better use in your real job buying a better welding dealie, and it would let you concentrate on your actual job.

In theory.

In reality, you take the $10k you sold it for and you drive around town throwing it at random people in return for them pretending to be your friend for the next 3 years. Because you are a loving idiot and have no business running anything, let alone a welding business/country.

Freudian Slip posted:

Only two more minutes till the full report is released and we can know how truly fukt we are

Watch in total shock and amazement as sensible suggestions like 'maybe dont pay pensions to people with 1.1m in assets (excluding their home) and 75k annual income' are ignored in favour of 'lets just beat up on unemployed 22 year olds and make them move to the mines'.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmen
Jul 16, 2006
DRAGONS!!
Can't I have just one quiet day working here for once? Working on politics everyday for news drives you mad and then poo poo like this happens :(

Goddamn this country sometimes :( :(

• Locked thread