Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SpookyLizard posted:

I suggest reading the OP. because I'm 90% sure that there is a link to a skyrim utility that works for FNV.

And FOMM always crashed when updating BOSS, it just downloaded it and then crashed.

Boss is unnecessary. Making sure that things don't laid before their masters is easily accomplished with your eyes and/or FNVedit. FNVedit helps loads.
In the post you responded to, I said I'd already downloaded it. In any case, everything works now. Not sure why. It still won't download the load order list, but everything just... started working when I tried to launch. Pretty crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I donwloaded GRA and Courier's Stash pretty much exclusively for use with Jsawyer.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

What's a mod that lets me fast travel directly inside the Strip? Also, one that takes down the gates in it. I'm fuckin tired of loading screens.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
The Strip Open does the gate inside, and Freeside Open does the same for Freeside. Both highly recommend a new save.

For fast travel to inside the strip, I always just put the Underground Hideout entrance there, and travel to that. I'm sure there's a more direct way though.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35128/

This mod adds a map marker to the Lucky 38's front steps.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Thank you both!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

SpookyLizard posted:

I donwloaded GRA and Courier's Stash pretty much exclusively for use with Jsawyer.

I bought both of those largely so that I could make the WMX add-ons for them (ACS too). I'm not sure how :psyduck: that makes me. I don't even use Courier's Stash, and while I do run the game with GRA, I don't use much from it. Some of the new ammo types, I think.

I mean when I got it, I thought I might get more out of GRA, but...

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Antistar01 posted:

I bought both of those largely so that I could make the WMX add-ons for them (ACS too). I'm not sure how :psyduck: that makes me. I don't even use Courier's Stash, and while I do run the game with GRA, I don't use much from it. Some of the new ammo types, I think.

I mean when I got it, I thought I might get more out of GRA, but...

Do you use shotguns? you probably use GRA ammos. GRA adds lots of ammos to the shotgun lists.

ARMS update: the only thing really keeping me from working on it is how goddamned clunky recipes are in the geck. It's actually got me working through my steam backlog. I'll try and put some effort in on it this week, promise.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Smarmy Coworker posted:

I have a vaigina' not a penis

Nice

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Naky posted:

It took me forever to actually buy it. My logic being 'Wait, pay money for new weapons? When I already implement better ones for everyone to use for free? Uhm. No.'. Finally I did but it still took a 50% off sale on the DLC for me to nab it.

You know you could always just have me make all the sound entries for Armory 3.0 and poo poo by hand again

just like the really old days :unsmigghh:

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
So I'm looking into playing New Vegas for the first time, and I'd like to use some mods to create Fallout New Vegas Plus, or whatever. Stuff that adds things to the game but doesn't change the feel or difficulty too much. I've added some mods already with that in mind, but I'm already crashing to the desktop as soon as the game loads. I don't have that much installed, and I really don't know what I'm doing to be honest. The instructions on the mod pages are...less than helpful. Here's my load order:

So my questions are, what are the problems with my load order, if any, what can I do to stop it from crashing, what information am I leaving out, because I know I probably am, and what mods beyond the ones I have are good for the criteria I have mind?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Lord Justice posted:

So I'm looking into playing New Vegas for the first time, and I'd like to use some mods to create Fallout New Vegas Plus, or whatever. Stuff that adds things to the game but doesn't change the feel or difficulty too much. I've added some mods already with that in mind, but I'm already crashing to the desktop as soon as the game loads. I don't have that much installed, and I really don't know what I'm doing to be honest. The instructions on the mod pages are...less than helpful. Here's my load order:

So my questions are, what are the problems with my load order, if any, what can I do to stop it from crashing, what information am I leaving out, because I know I probably am, and what mods beyond the ones I have are good for the criteria I have mind?

Some of the mods you have loaded need the couriers pack(all the preorder dlc, ie Mercenary pack) and the gunrunners arsenal on. Also, WME and WMX do the same thing, you only need one. I prefer WMX. You also have alot of conflicting patches on, like having the EVE all dlc and the EVE no dlc patch. Get rid of the no dlc ones, along with the Project Nevada no dlc and no gra ones.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Roobanguy posted:

Some of the mods you have loaded need the couriers pack(all the preorder dlc, ie Mercenary pack) and the gunrunners arsenal on. Also, WME and WMX do the same thing, you only need one. I prefer WMX. You also have alot of conflicting patches on, like having the EVE all dlc and the EVE no dlc patch. Get rid of the no dlc ones, along with the Project Nevada no dlc and no gra ones.

Hm...All right, a lot of that is kind of obvious in hindsight, thanks. Still a bit confused on WME and WMXUE. I have Weapon Mod Expansion.esm, Weapon Mod Expansion.esp, and WMXUE.esp. What do I turn off and what do I leave on if I want WMXUE? What about Project Nevada - WME.esp?

Here's my new load order, and it's still crashing on start up:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Try turning the .esm back on? CTD on startup is usually going to mean that a master file is missing, as far as I know. You're running EVE FNV - NO GRA.esp (in addition to EVE FNV - ALL DLC.esp) now, but you have GRA enabled, which will probably cause problems. Also, looking at the files page for WMX it looks like WMXUE is obsolete and unsupported. Finally, have you run BOSS at all?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Lord Justice posted:

Hm...All right, a lot of that is kind of obvious in hindsight, thanks. Still a bit confused on WME and WMXUE. I have Weapon Mod Expansion.esm, Weapon Mod Expansion.esp, and WMXUE.esp. What do I turn off and what do I leave on if I want WMXUE? What about Project Nevada - WME.esp?

Here's my new load order, and it's still crashing on start up:

You don't want WMXUE. It's outdated and unsupported, the Convergence module for it isn't even available for download anymore, I have no goddamn idea where you got that. Toss it, grab the newest version of WMX and the FOOK-PN-WMX-WME-EVE Convergence module. Also, you have two EVE esps enabled, disable the "No GRA" one. Keep the "Project Nevada WME" patch enabled, it's required for convergence to work. I think the first stage "FOOK-PN Convergence" module is also in the wrong place, I'm pretty sure it goes directly underneath the "Project Nevada - All DLC" patch.

Also, I wouldn't recommend using AWOP for your first playthrough. Save that for repeat playthroughs, it adds extra dungeons and such to spice up the game.

And one more thing, if you're going to use a patch designed to make FOOK, PN, WME and WMX function together, you may want to install FOOK. :v: That is definitely, without a doubt the main reason your game is crashing.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 22, 2014

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
Definitely skip AWOP on your first playthrough. It adds so many extraneous dungeons and NPCs - really takes away from the experience of exploring and discovering the game world and story.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

So, there's a really cool mod that came out that revamps Vault 22 that seems like it's getting looked over:
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/54472/

It adds a lot of foliage and changes up the lighting of the vault, making it both better and creepier.

Preview images:

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

So I decided to completely remove all the mods and follow the directions better as provided, and got the game working, finally. Thanks for all the help. As reccomended, I've turned off AWOP, as it doesn't seem to be what I want out of the game. If it helps, I have no intention of replaying this game, I can only once and done games like this. I've started looking into other mods now, and Jsawyer looked interesting, if purely for the fact it stops the game from dumping a bunch of weapons in your inventory at the start of the game. Is it worth it though, and will it have compatiblity issues with what I have installed already?

Also, just two quick questions about the game itself, and if necessary I can ask in the main Fallout New Vegas thread. Is going Charisma/Intelligence worth it at all, or is it just a trap? I prefer being a more diplomatic character. In that vein, is there any traps I should be aware of? It's kind of hard to know what to pick at the start of games like these without any reference. Finally, if Charisma/Intelligence is a trap, are there any good mods that fix that? If not, any good mods that improve it?

My current loadout:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
If you want to use jsawyer, that's fine, but if you just want to stop it from dumping a million items on you, try this: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/46251/. Also, you can just throw that poo poo on the ground or in the oven in Doc's house and not think of it again.

Also, you can't talk your way past everything. Not even most things, because almost every enemy you encounter is just some random ghoul or tribal that you couldn't have talked to anyway. Speech can get you shortcuts through some quests/dialogs, but other skills are used in conversation just as often, like Guns, Medicine, Science, Barter, or Survival. In any case, stats have such a small effect on skills that you don't really have to worry about building your stats for diplomacy.

I will say that you'll find some skill checks in conversation in the 7-8 range, and I think most of them are INT and PER. Mentats can help out here, so again, you don't necessarily need to build your character to meet these checks.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
From a mechanical perspective, Charisma gives your ally's bonuses and Intelligence gives you access to a ton of skill points which makes it easier to put points into both combat and non combat skills. Which is what you want to do if you want to be a talky character, because avoiding combat is impossible. I would not consider that build a trap at all as long as you also put a modest amount of points into at least one combat skill.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Clever Spambot posted:

From a mechanical perspective, Charisma gives your ally's bonuses and Intelligence gives you access to a ton of skill points which makes it easier to put points into both combat and non combat skills. Which is what you want to do if you want to be a talky character, because avoiding combat is impossible. I would not consider that build a trap at all as long as you also put a modest amount of points into at least one combat skill.
On my last build, I went with INT/CHA, and used implants and intense training to get all my stats up to eight or better. High INT let me max out just about every skill, and the other three are above 90.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

Fereydun posted:

So, there's a really cool mod that came out that revamps Vault 22 that seems like it's getting looked over:
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/54472/

It adds a lot of foliage and changes up the lighting of the vault, making it both better and creepier.

Preview images:

loving hell I want the entire game to look that nice :stare:

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are the transitions in Nevada Skies supposed to be extremely sudden? as in, I'm walking on a cloudy day and in less than a nano second there's a full on sandstorm. Or sometimes I look at the sky and turns from clear night to semi cloudy night.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I finally got a computer that would let me play the PC version of this game, and have been experimenting with modding it. I've been using the tutorials by the youtube channel GophersVids (the guy is awesome) but the first time I finished installing everything I would like, the game wouldn't run, some mod somewhere was screwing things up. I got rid of all the mods save the NMC Texture pack, the OJO Bueno texture pack, and Darnified Hud. Game started working again, so I've been slowly adding mods again.

I have a question about the WMX (weapon Mods Expanded) mod and all the compatibility patches. The current version is 1_1_3, what compatibility patches are necessary. I know I need the Project Nevada patch, I assume I need the EVE patch for this mod as well. There's a DLC compatibility patch I assume I should get as well. Should I get the compatibility grab-bag as well? I also want to get the weapon retexture project, so is the WMX patch needed as well?

I just want to make sure I'm not getting anything I don't need and potentially causing game crashing like last time.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It's fairly straightforward; if you're using both WMX and EVE then you need the WMX-EVE patch, both WMX and PN then you need the PN-WMX patch, etc. (Actually you don't strictly need PN-WMX, but it gives you more stuff and makes things smoother.)

Don't use a patch made for something you're not using; that's about it. The readme files included in the different downloads list their requirements. Especially check out the grab-bag readme. Some people seem to just grab it, install it and activate everything in it in FOMM/NMM without looking to see what the various patches in it are actually for.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Is there a Fallout 3 modding thread? The most recent is from sometime back in 2008. I'm feeling like playing it again but I'd rather not stare into the Nexus pit for too long to figure out which mods I should get.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Sensenmann posted:

Is there a Fallout 3 modding thread? The most recent is from sometime back in 2008. I'm feeling like playing it again but I'd rather not stare into the Nexus pit for too long to figure out which mods I should get.
It fell into the archive abyss.
If you don't have archive access, some basic recommendations:
Fallout Wanderers Edition
Mart's Mutant Mod: Adds more variety and has options to increase spawns.
Weapon Mod Kits
Fallout Interoperability Program: Compatibility patches for the above. Don't know if they're all still up-to-date though.
Darnified UI

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Raygereio posted:

It fell into the archive abyss.
If you don't have archive access, some basic recommendations:
Fallout Wanderers Edition
Mart's Mutant Mod: Adds more variety and has options to increase spawns.
Weapon Mod Kits
Fallout Interoperability Program: Compatibility patches for the above. Don't know if they're all still up-to-date though.
Darnified UI

Thanks. Time to become the scourge of the wastes again.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I've got the game as modded as I wanted and I think I figured out why it was crashing before, when I was installing the mobile truck base mod (with sortomatic functions) I neglected to use the main mesh file as well as the truck type mod. The game is working fine so far and have started the afterschool special quest. Quite good so far.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

So I got a few graphic mods and stuff and everything was working fine, but one day when I was in Zion the frame rate was super slow and there's an input lag for some reason. As if my computer's graphics card got downgraded. When I finished Honest Hearts and went back to the Mojave, the problem only arose when I was out in the wasteland; indoors or using the pipboy, it's back to normal. Has anyone else had this problem? Could I possibly uninstall and re-install the game without deleting the save files?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
When that happened to me, I was running Project Reality. I turned off Depth of Field (I think - it was one of the visual options in PR, at least) and the sluggishness went away, even after turning DoF back on a minute later.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

El Jeffe posted:

So I got a few graphic mods and stuff and everything was working fine, but one day when I was in Zion the frame rate was super slow and there's an input lag for some reason. As if my computer's graphics card got downgraded. When I finished Honest Hearts and went back to the Mojave, the problem only arose when I was out in the wasteland; indoors or using the pipboy, it's back to normal. Has anyone else had this problem? Could I possibly uninstall and re-install the game without deleting the save files?
When this started happening to me, it was because my wife's cat shed a bunch of hair and it got sucked into my video card fan, clogging it and burning out the motor.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Twobirds posted:

When that happened to me, I was running Project Reality. I turned off Depth of Field (I think - it was one of the visual options in PR, at least) and the sluggishness went away, even after turning DoF back on a minute later.

Yeah, I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but toggling those graphical features in Project Reality's MCM menu magically clears up the strange slowdown you can eventually get in exteriors with it.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I don't have Project Reality (or a cat for that matter). I forgot to mention that when the problem arose, I checked the graphics settings and clicked default and it automatically set it to Medium, whereas it originally set it to High when I first got the game. :|

Here's my load order for what it's worth, although disabling all mods didn't fix it before:

FalloutNV.esm
CaravanPack.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHears.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
NevadaSkies.esm
Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm
Interior Lighting Overhaul - L38PS.esm
EVE FNV-ALL DLC.esp
NevadaSkies-Ultimate DLC Edition.esp
Interior Lighting Overhaul-Ultimate Edition.esp
Lucky38MarkerV3.esp
Vurt's WFO.esp

I also have 4GB FNV. Could I try uninstall/reinstalling that?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
What you described is a dead ringer for what can happen with Project Reality, but I guess other things could cause it too, especially since exteriors usually have a lot more going on than interiors, of course.

If starting a new game fixes it, then it could be a borked save. The detect settings thing going for something lower than before is concerning though; could be a dying video card or something, like LividLiquid said.

Beyond that I'm out of ideas, sorry!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Is there some special trick to creating a merged patch in FNVedit? Because I'm following the common directions and it's giving me an empty file with a null reference form ID.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Is there some special trick to creating a merged patch in FNVedit? Because I'm following the common directions and it's giving me an empty file with a null reference form ID.

These are the instructions I give in the readmes for my mods:

quote:

- Download FNVEdit (http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/34703) to create the 'merged patch'. This should be done after you have installed and activated all the mods you wish to play the game with (and have configured your load order using a mod manager tool). This is how to do it:

- Run FNVEdit, and a list of all the plugins in your Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\Data\ directory will come up, listed as per your load order. By default, the plugins you have activated in the New Vegas Launcher or in a mod manager tool will have ticks next to them. This is what you want, so just click 'OK'.

- Once FNVEdit has finished loading, right-click somewhere in the panel on the left that lists your activated plugins, and select 'Create Merged Patch' from the context menu. (Note that this may be under the 'Other' sub-menu, depending on which version of FNVEdit you have.)

- Enter a name for the patch into the window that pops up (any name you like), and click on 'OK'.

- Once FNVEdit has finished generating the patch (it creates a new .esp file with the name you entered), which should only take a few seconds, close FNVEdit. Click 'OK' on the window that pops up to save the Merged Patch that was generated.

- Finally, make sure the Merged Patch esp is loading after all your other plugins (which it should already be, by default), and activate it using the New Vegas Launcher or a mod manager tool.

- If you ever uninstall plugins, update existing plugins, or install new ones, deactivate and delete the Merged Patch, and then follow these instructions again to create a new one.

If you end up with an empty file, you may just not need an automatic merged patch - or it might be hitting a plugin that isn't set up properly and is causing the process to fail before it's actually merged anything. The message log should tell you if that's the case.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't see another thread, is this the place to ask about Fallout 3? What mods do you recommend for that game.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
As buggy as it is, I'd still probably recommend playing all the FO3 content in FO:NV using Tale of Two Wastelands with jsawyer, CCO, Project Nevada (I only use the core module), and then whatever graphical mods you like. Graphics-wise I recommend Poco Bueno textures, Vurt's Wasteland Flora Overhaul, Nevada Skies (Blueberry Nights and Colorful Sky is the prettiest and all of it is meant to work in FO3 through TTW as well) and Interior Lighting Overhaul.

e: Oh and I don't know if this was mentioned in the thread yet but 'Enhanced Camera' is a really awesome and simple mod IMO.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The best mod for fallout 3 is falloutnv.esm