Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Crain posted:

Is it just me or is there something really...off about this kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lix3d/lix-the-smallest-3d-printing-pen-in-the-world

It's another 3d printing pen. And to their credit they have a development plan and put a lot of effort into the proposal and their website. But the video and the fact that everything about the donor tiers and rewards makes me think this isn't a funding project and more of an ad. Something just seems wrong here.

Didn't some tech blog test one of these 3D printing pens and basically found that unless you were like a fairly skilled sculptor that even the most basic shapes just collapsed into big goopy messes? I seem to remember that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It only makes sense since you're squeezing molten plastic out of a pen, it's going to take time to dry and you have to do everything in as few strokes as possible. There's only so much weight gooey plastic can take.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
3D printing is advancing at a fast enough pace that I'm willing to wait for reviews for this particular model, mostly because I really really really want it to be that cool.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Crain posted:

Is it just me or is there something really...off about this kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lix3d/lix-the-smallest-3d-printing-pen-in-the-world

It's probably the fact that nobody in the pitch video ever looks at the camera. It's weird looking.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

The best thing about Soylent is that it basically already exists. People who cannot consume food have been living on tube feedings for years. It's a nasty tan liquid full of all the important stuff you need. Hell, I'm sure some of your grandmas and grandpas probably have peg tubes and T tubes (tubes grafted into their stomach so the liquid can be delivered automatically via pumps or via bolus). If you were in the hospital and were under anesthesia for a while because of an accident or something, you were also probably given tube feed via NG tube, or nasal-gastric tube.

Basically these nerds decided to cut out the whole "I had a stroke or cancer and cannot swallow anymore" middleman and are now just drinking it. That stuff gives you the worst runs imaginable, too.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

I dislocated my jaw once and had to be on an all liquid diet for 2 weeks. By the end of that second week, I was so sick of it that the thought of broth or a meal replacement shake made me queasy. Even with my jaw pain, I got this incredibly strong desire to chew something I can't imagine eating that way voluntarily and only one substance.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Rosalind posted:

Didn't some tech blog test one of these 3D printing pens and basically found that unless you were like a fairly skilled sculptor that even the most basic shapes just collapsed into big goopy messes? I seem to remember that.

I have a 3doodler and it's not goopy and it won't collapse but it's definitely more of an arts and crafts toy than anything at all practical. It's a fun thing to play with, and I got it under those auspices so I'm satisfied but it's definitely not a useful thing.

BabyChoom
Jan 7, 2014

by XyloJW

Fatkraken posted:

As far as I can deduce from the article, the detector is looking for SPECIFIC molecules. This is a different kettle of fish than going in blind, for which you would probably need some heavy duty lab equipment. If instead you're looking for a yes/no to compounds x, y and z, then you just need x, y and z sensors, maybe biosensors which can be relatively inexpensive; think of the $10 pregnancy tests you can get at the chemists. There are various other technologies which can essentially "smell" specific molecules too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosensor

Of course, having a sensor unit like this just tells you whether a very specific chemical is present, and *possibly* some indication of concentration, it can't tell you half as much as the marketing hype would have you believe. You won't be able to test for all contaminants or desirable components, just specific ones, and probably not very many of those at that price. This goes for pesticides and air pollutants as well as cannabis, you need a specially designed sensor for each specific chemical you're looking for, and to test a wide spectrum of chemicals you'd need a whole array of sensors.

Looking at the actual indygogo page, they seem to be testing for 6 cannabinoids and 3 potential contaminants, that's great but it's not gonna tell you if your weed has been cut with oregano, or is doused in pesticides or fungus. It's also really obviously designed for people who want to get baked, not medical users, since they are better served by doctors who know which strains have which effects, and growers who have testing done themselves by commercial laboratories.

I think what they're *suggesting* they can do is out there, but what they are actually promising when you get right down to it should be possible with current technology.

So I can't make a kickstarter that is a marijuana tricorder that detects the amount of cannaboids and at what percent it is because, right now, its technically unfeasible? :mad:

BabyChoom
Jan 7, 2014

by XyloJW

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

The best thing about Soylent is that it basically already exists. People who cannot consume food have been living on tube feedings for years. It's a nasty tan liquid full of all the important stuff you need. Hell, I'm sure some of your grandmas and grandpas probably have peg tubes and T tubes (tubes grafted into their stomach so the liquid can be delivered automatically via pumps or via bolus). If you were in the hospital and were under anesthesia for a while because of an accident or something, you were also probably given tube feed via NG tube, or nasal-gastric tube.

Basically these nerds decided to cut out the whole "I had a stroke or cancer and cannot swallow anymore" middleman and are now just drinking it. That stuff gives you the worst runs imaginable, too.

Yeah they also did this to people in gitmo who where on hunger strikes. A lot of people around the world condemned the force feeding of nutrient goo to political prisoners.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are they going to poo poo themselves after a while ?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

unpacked robinhood posted:

Are they going to poo poo themselves after a while ?

That'll be taken care of in the next kickstarter: Soylent brand adult nutrition expulsion control pants.

Or, ya know, like a buttplug or something.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Crain posted:

That'll be taken care of in the next kickstarter: Soylent brand adult nutrition expulsion control pants.

Or, ya know, like a buttplug or something.

Make the buttplugs hook up to your iphone. You'll make $250k right there.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rosalind posted:

Actually, its a plug with a valve. You have any methane (its a greenhouse gas) hook up to a portable methane-fueled power plant that you wear on your back. A little hose hooks up to the plug. Meanwhile, a separate hose removes solid and liquid wastes into a tank. You empty that tank out once a week at a public disposal facility where its processed at a waste->energy facility.

Its entirely green really. Meanwhile, the portable methane fueled power plant allows you to charge all your portable electronic devices for free. The only price you pay is the cost of having your clothes tailored to include holes for the hoses coming out of your ever-present buttplug.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Rosalind posted:

Zombie steampunk buttplugs.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Otisburg posted:

inspired by dark souls and minecraft

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Man, Kickstarter has helped film crews get budgets they only dreamed of but I also feel like they've become a necessity. I worked on a film last spring pro-bono (it's what you have to do to survive in this job market) and now they're launching a Kickstarter to raise money to make DVDs. In fact, I can only gain a copy of the movie if I donate money. They haven't even bothered putting my name in the credits and they expect me to give them money for something I helped make.

I kinda hope it fails, as well as the producer's other film he's about to launch on Kickstarter. No links since I'm technically invested in the Kickstarter (and I think that's the rules anyways) plus I don't want people purchasing a movie that features three rape scenes and a rape montage. Don't you just love slasher films? :smithicide:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Man, Kickstarter has helped film crews get budgets they only dreamed of but I also feel like they've become a necessity. I worked on a film last spring pro-bono (it's what you have to do to survive in this job market) and now they're launching a Kickstarter to raise money to make DVDs. In fact, I can only gain a copy of the movie if I donate money. They haven't even bothered putting my name in the credits and they expect me to give them money for something I helped make.

I kinda hope it fails, as well as the producer's other film he's about to launch on Kickstarter. No links since I'm technically invested in the Kickstarter (and I think that's the rules anyways) plus I don't want people purchasing a movie that features three rape scenes and a rape montage. Don't you just love slasher films? :smithicide:

You might as well link it, no one here is going to support the Kickstarter for a lovely slasher movie and we'd sure like to make fun of it.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Crain posted:

It's another 3d printing pen. And to their credit they have a development plan and put a lot of effort into the proposal and their website. But the video and the fact that everything about the donor tiers and rewards makes me think this isn't a funding project and more of an ad. Something just seems wrong here.

I would say the Russian accents, sounding as coming from James Bond movie.

Otisburg posted:

Solar-powered, made from real leather, can be used as a key/ipad/jewelry stand. With built in bottle opener. Tier 1: you get also a deck of playing cards, with retro butt plugs as the covers. Extension 1: we will create an iPhone application that will enable you to control your butt plug externally, even if you're far away. Socialize! Share your butt plug photos! Give it a treat! Or just send us your ideas.

I'm a bitter, bitter person :(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wait, so it doesn't tie in to instragram? Why would I even bother?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

:gonk:

Why would anyone ever think those two things should go together.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I'm totally taking all of these ideas and making this buttplug. It will be the ultimate buttplug. I will be the Tony Stark of rear end sealing devices.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Crain posted:

I will be the Tony Stark of rear end sealing devices.

Iron Manus

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

This is why you never work for free.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

neongrey posted:

:gonk:

Why would anyone ever think those two things should go together.

It better be set to the Montage song from Team America.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Crain posted:

I'm totally taking all of these ideas and making this buttplug. It will be the ultimate buttplug. I will be the Tony Stark of rear end sealing devices.

Make it so it can measure your blood sugar and your total calories eaten and you've got a million seller. Hell, just make all that poo poo up and it'll still probably sell. Just make sure it hooks up to your iphone.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Blast Fantasto posted:

You might as well link it, no one here is going to support the Kickstarter for a lovely slasher movie and we'd sure like to make fun of it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1500620446/creeper

I'm not sure if they can find out people found the project from this link so I'm going to try to not say much more. I will say that I think the guy we had working the camera was really good and he's got a bright future ahead.

GenderSelectScreen has a new favorite as of 17:01 on May 1, 2014

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
You should make it so the URL isn't clickable then they can't see where it's referenced from.

Omghaiwtfaslplzkthx.

I'm not sure if they can find out people found the project from this link so I'm going to try to not say much more. I will say that I think the guy we had working the camera was really good and he's got a bright future ahead.

I tried to suggest something like anonym.to but it turns out the forums really spaz out at the way they format URLs.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
imagine a kickstarter only without actually producing anything

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

So an indiegogo then

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Have these guys done anything noteworthy before this? Because I swear I've been to the Heavy Cat Studios webpage before but for the life of me I can't recall why.

e: vvvvvv
Oh yeaaaah I remember now. I first heard about them because of their disastrous Indiegogo campaign where they didn't even manage to finish half of the work they were commissioned for and completely stonewalled their clients.

dijon du jour has a new favorite as of 07:38 on May 1, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They sound pretty terrible.

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

And the developer has responded.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

So there's a great bubble of people trying to work in video games and vg art, and that's shocking for some reason?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/903107259/scio-your-sixth-sense-a-pocket-molecular-sensor-fo

Oh hey its yet another molecular sensor :toot:

I guess at least this one's marketed at normal joes instead of stoners. :cheeky:

And look, they're already funded.

Pretty obvious its selling on the novelty of "its a tricorder! It'll magically be able to scan everything!" when in reality its just near-IR scanning, so at best if you point it at an apple, it'll say "that's an apple" and then it'll automatically google the average nutritional content of apples for you. You could just as easily use your eyeballs and jump right to googling.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Athletic Footjob posted:

You should make it so the URL isn't clickable then they can't see where it's referenced from.

Boom, done. Thanks. I just want to cover my rear end.

BabyChoom
Jan 7, 2014

by XyloJW
Kickstarter is for people who are irresponsible with money. You don't pay for a promise for a product!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/903107259/scio-your-sixth-sense-a-pocket-molecular-sensor-fo

Oh hey its yet another molecular sensor :toot:

I guess at least this one's marketed at normal joes instead of stoners. :cheeky:

And look, they're already funded.

Pretty obvious its selling on the novelty of "its a tricorder! It'll magically be able to scan everything!" when in reality its just near-IR scanning, so at best if you point it at an apple, it'll say "that's an apple" and then it'll automatically google the average nutritional content of apples for you. You could just as easily use your eyeballs and jump right to googling.

This is amazing. I sure hope you don't have any liquor besides vodka and water you want to test, it might show up as dirt, pepsi, or an orange.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Larz posted:

And the developer has responded.

"Every time the words "heavy cat studios" show up on the web, the same group of about 8-10 accounts (under various names) show up and spam the page with the same list of complaints within hours."

Is their argument that basically, the 8-10 people they worked with are complaining about how they ripped them off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

AxeManiac posted:

"Every time the words "heavy cat studios" show up on the web, the same group of about 8-10 accounts (under various names) show up and spam the page with the same list of complaints within hours."

Is their argument that basically, the 8-10 people they worked with are complaining about how they ripped them off?

I don't see that text on the page you quoted.