Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Tracula posted:

Isn't there a boss whip that has amazing poison scaling if you infuse it?

What, like the spotted whip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I did not know that the 'reeling' animation you get after getting all your stamina depleted while blocking leaves you open to a riposte, and I'm glad I found this out from the stabbing end.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Fargin Icehole posted:

What, like the spotted whip?

Yeah, that's it. I've not given it a go but reading a bit it sounds like a good dex weapon

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

lets dance

SM at 2.6m

throw your sign down

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
What rear end in a top hat designed the loving shrine level. Homing missiles, bleed-causing lurkers in the water, WATER you need to wade through so you can't escape that rear end in a top hat troll and if you by any chance make it almost to the mist door at the end you'll probably going to fall into a random well-shaped hole in the ground :mad:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

lordfrikk posted:

What rear end in a top hat designed the loving shrine level. Homing missiles, bleed-causing lurkers in the water, WATER you need to wade through so you can't escape that rear end in a top hat troll and if you by any chance make it almost to the mist door at the end you'll probably going to fall into a random well-shaped hole in the ground :mad:

This. gently caress that little gauntlet at the end, especially.

Also, got full Havel's (sans Dragon tooth), and rocking a Redeye Ring like a tank-daddy. I just write my name, Sunbro it up, and tank 90% of enemy boss attacks while the Host stabs the fucker.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lordfrikk posted:

Bow and arrows man, bow and arrows. Grab the lightening shortbow from Iron Keep, upgrade it a bit, and buy the biggest stack of wooden arrows you can afford. Assuming you're using a 360 controller, left bumper lets you aim in first person.

Alternatively if you're a caster build, grab the binoculars and start tearing the casters up before they're even in aggro range.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
I'm really contemplating if fighting Vendrick is worth it, this fight is not fun.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Learning the White Priest [LOWER ROBE] has sandals bums me out. I hope I won't have to kill Targray to get the robe under armour look, seems like a cool dude.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I've been pleasantly surprised that I haven't been sent back as a phantom during later levels considering my character is naked and uses lovely poison dex weapons and a mostly crap shield. I can only imagine the disappointment I bring when some guy struggling in Drangelic or the Shrine or whatever sees me in all my glory and pitiful attacks but then I go about and dodge everything while the host kills the stuff trying to hit me.

I know people want that guy swathed in huge armor and swinging a greatsword or some cool looking mage character but they end up with me and just deal with it since they're willing to take anything. I hope my naked phantom is enjoyable.

Also every other character I come across in PvP or co-op wears the jester head piece.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
gently caress. I'm getting BSODs now, due to Driver Failure. :( It started like two days ago, and it was really, really random. But now it just happened four times in a row, first during gameplay and now whenever I boot the game. Any thoughts?

Could it be BetterDS3? I'm using a Radeon HD7770

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Shrine of anime is one of my favorite levels because its really pretty and poses a nice challenge that isn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be.

Also because every bloodstain there is hilarious. I never get tired of watching people plunge right into the lake.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
edit: ^^^^ it's great for farming titanite to upgrade your special snowflake weapons/armor too

Doctor Zaius posted:

I'm really contemplating if fighting Vendrick is worth it, this fight is not fun.

I didn't find it to be "worth it" from a reward sense other than the souls, but I found that fight to be on par with Gwyn from DS1 in terms of atmosphere.

Unfortunately, this (boss spoiler) happened to me twice :suicide:

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Doctor Zaius posted:

You know who hate that guy? The giants. You should ask them for help. Also, bleeding weapons work well against him, I put the lacerating oil on my Murakumo for that fight.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Phoix posted:

Higher level PvP seems kind of terrible. It seems like there are two builds that exist. You max out your poise and use dual caestus to stunlock people or you spam GRS until one connects through the lag.

Give it time. Was like that on console for like a day until people realized sticking to those is pretty terrible since they're easy to deal with (outrange the caestus, and just learn the dodge timing for GRS).

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

Mimetic posted:

I didn't find it to be "worth it" from a reward sense other than the souls, but I found that fight to be on par with Gwyn from DS1 in terms of atmosphere.

Unfortunately, this (boss spoiler) happened to me twice :suicide:

The atmosphere's nice, but the fight itself is not much fun. He's basically just a giant hollow soldier with a big pile of hitpoints and a bunch of damage.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Doctor Zaius posted:

The atmosphere's nice, but the fight itself is not much fun. He's basically just a giant hollow soldier with a big pile of hitpoints and a bunch of damage.

If you stand behind his left foot, absolutely none of his attacks can hit you. I'd honestly wager that it's the easiest boss in Dark Souls 2 and probably one of the easiest in the whole series.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Umberger posted:

If you stand behind his left foot, absolutely none of his attacks can hit you. I'd honestly wager that it's the easiest boss in Dark Souls 2 and probably one of the easiest in the whole series.

Yeah, the only problem comes when you back him up to the edge of the arena and you have trouble strafing around him. That's where basically all my deaths came from, either getting caught up on walls or trying to bait him back to the center.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Umberger posted:

I haven't gotten to him yet but I sincerely doubt he's as easy as Pinwheel, Phalanx from Demon's Souls or even roving magus from this game. They went down like pre-sliced sacks of potatoes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

homeless poster posted:

As far as the lore theorizing goes I completely believe that Vendrick was supposed to be the protagonist from DaS. The four "major" souls align too perfectly with the four lord vessel souls from the first game for that to be coincidence, with the exception of the Four Kings, who don't really seem to get an analogy in this game.

They align with them because they are them. Well kinda. They're four beings who have been extremely influenced by the lord souls (and Seath's soul, which despite not being a lord soul stuck around. I guess you could assume the shard he got from Gwyn ended up becoming imbued with his essence). It is very unlikely Vendrick is the Chosen Undead; many many times it is mentioned that countless kingdoms have risen and fallen where Drangleic is now. Vendrick is simply the latest in a line of undead who attain enough power to conquer the four lords; though unlike the chosen undead he did not do anything with the Kiln/Throne of Want, for reasons not quite explained.

quote:

Also, I would contend that not lighting the kiln is the canon ending, because in that ending of DaS the narrator says something like how this action by the chosen undead will usher in an age of darkness, and like half the content in DaS2 is all about the darkness.

Also unlikely, for the same reason above. Well not unlikely, but it could go either way. The fact that it is in an age of darkness means nothing, since there likely have been countless repetitions of the cycle since the first Dark Souls, given it's been so long no one remembers any of the great figures from that time.

It's important to understand that what happened in dks literally does not matter in the slightest, because it was simply a continuation of an endless cycle that perpetuates itself.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Azran posted:

gently caress. I'm getting BSODs now, due to Driver Failure. :( It started like two days ago, and it was really, really random. But now it just happened four times in a row, first during gameplay and now whenever I boot the game. Any thoughts?

Try another game, because that's normally a sign your card is dying.

Do you get any maths errors with geometry having polygons spike out into infinity?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

I haven't gotten to him yet but I sincerely doubt he's as easy as Pinwheel, Phalanx from Demon's Souls or even roving magus from this game. They went down like pre-sliced sacks of potatoes.

Pinwheel can actually really catch you off guard if you face him before Sen's Fortress. The problem is people go Catacombs->Tomb of the Giants with near endgame equipment and kill him in two hits. I know this isn't by any means official or anything but his song in the OST is placed between Gaping Dragon and Quelaag, which lends at least some credence to the theory that you're meant to take a trip down there way earlier than most people ever do/did.

The only reason he's harder than Phalanx is because he has a lot of health and deals a lot of damage. Mechanically he's incredibly simple.

As for Prowling Magus there's an argument there. That's certainly one of the easiest bosses in the series. It's confusing why it's even a boss encounter really.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Don't forget our good friend jabba the hu-I mean covetous demon.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Azran posted:

Delete the Motioninjoy drivers (you may have to look up instructions to completely remove them) and BetterDS3, use Xinput instead.

I had an issue with repeat BSODs while playing with MIJ program/drivers and when I googled it there was evidence others had the same problem. Deleted all MIJ content and switched to Xinput, have not had an issue since.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

If I use bonfire ascetics to make bosses respawn can I summon Lucatiel to do them with and get her armor (and for that matter scottish dude)?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

turtlecrunch posted:

Delete the Motioninjoy drivers (you may have to look up instructions to completely remove them) and BetterDS3, use Xinput instead.

I had an issue with repeat BSODs while playing with MIJ program/drivers and when I googled it there was evidence others had the same problem. Deleted all MIJ content and switched to Xinput, have not had an issue since.

Alrighty, will try this.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Try another game, because that's normally a sign your card is dying.

Do you get any maths errors with geometry having polygons spike out into infinity?

Nope. And I'm not getting BSODs in any other game. Just Dark Souls 2. Had not even seen a BSOD till a couple days ago.

Azran fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 2, 2014

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Baron O Beefdip posted:

If I use bonfire ascetics to make bosses respawn can I summon Lucatiel to do them with and get her armor (and for that matter scottish dude)?

Yep. You can fight the same boss three times if you don't feel like summoning them for any of their respective fights.

Doctor Zaius posted:

Don't forget our good friend jabba the hu-I mean covetous demon.

Eh. Yeah. As melee maybe someone would be bad at reading queues and get caught off guard I dunno.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Well i just beat it. Gameplay-wise it was a huge step forward but goddamn, the story was nowhere near DS or DaS1 quality. Ending sperging ahead, major spoilers:

So it turns out that the link the fire ending was the true ending of dark souls 1 and that the cycle cannot be broken? Since when did the dark become synonymous with evil instead of the things that make humans well... human? I thought the titular Dark Soul was the soul that the furtive pygmy found and used to make humanity, not some ancient evil force or other such horseshit.

Such a letdown, at least the actual game is good enough to warrant another playthrough.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

homeless poster posted:

I'm a little miffed at how there's content that you can literally lock yourself out of if you don't have the prescience to know what knob to twist when (or play the game with a wiki open in another window). I just found out that I can't actually get the pyromancy forbidden sun because I pulled a lever on the first floor of the dungeon and freed Navlaan without knowing how that would hose me. My question is, if I finish this dungeon and then go back to the opening bonfire and use an ascetic, will that reset Navlaan's quest chain or am I going to have to re-play through the game up to this point on NG+? Also, since apparently I've gotten way too many souls for NG in order to actually get matched with any BoB duels, if I toss two ascetics into the fire under the Chancellor, is that going to make the final boss NG++ status on my first go thru? I'd like to try and wrap up all the pryomancies in one go, but I'm seriously bummed about loving up with Navlaan.

As far as the lore theorizing goes I completely believe that Vendrick was supposed to be the protagonist from DaS. The four "major" souls align too perfectly with the four lord vessel souls from the first game for that to be coincidence, with the exception of the Four Kings, who don't really seem to get an analogy in this game.

Also, I would contend that not lighting the kiln is the canon ending, because in that ending of DaS the narrator says something like how this action by the chosen undead will usher in an age of darkness, and like half the content in DaS2 is all about the darkness.

Not quite

Vendrick is not the protagonist, from DaS. Period. The Sublime Bone Dust description refers to the Chosen Undead, who sacrificed himself to rekindle the First Flame and prolong the Age of Fire. The Four Lord Souls from Dark Souls 1 have been rematerializing in different hosts for an indeterminate period of time ever since, this is extremely clear by the descriptions of the Four Old One Souls in DaS2 and hammered home by what they drop on NG+. The Old Iron King is a manifestation of Gwynn's Lord Soul, the Rotten is a manifestation of Gravelord Nito's Lord Soul, the Duke is Seath, the Lost Sinner is the Witch of Izalith.

Vendrick defeated prior incarnations of these four, used their power to become the buff sonovabitch he was, and was manipulated by Nashandra whom is the reincarnation of Manus/Furtive Pygmy and aspected towards the Abyss. Vendrick is urged to go across the sea and gently caress up the Giants by Nashandra and claim some prize. The art of making golems? Seems like there was something more, somehow. Here's where things get a little unclear: Nashandra wanted Vendrick to ascend to the "true" Throne and do something, but it's not really clear what that is. The Throne of Want is clearly connected, and the ending talks about you linking the Flame...again. But I don't really see how sitting on a throne accomplishes that, and the talk of "what lays before you who even knows" in the ending also seems to run contrary to that. The ending is a garbled mess, basically.

There's some kind of theme that the Curse is ambition/greed/desire itself though I guess. Which is odd, because letting go of those things is what makes you go Hollow.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Doctor Zaius posted:

Question

Do you have the giant souls? if you have 4 to 5 of them, the fight doesn't take too long and his defense and hp won't seem that big once you lowered his defenses

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
For anyone who's using ENB graphics mod, how do you get it to work? I have the files in the game folder and the actual user interface is in the game (the menu that comes up when you press shift and enter) but none of the effects at all are actually enabled. A little help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
In brightstone cove I Went into the room where two NPCs are supposed to be fighting, but neither of them were there, did I miss some dialogue somewhere or did I just miss the fight? If I missed the fight where did the one who won go?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey, is there a name checker tool or site anywhere yet? I dont want to wander through the game as some ***hole.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BombiTheZombie posted:

Well i just beat it. Gameplay-wise it was a huge step forward but goddamn, the story was nowhere near DS or DaS1 quality. Ending sperging ahead, major spoilers:

So it turns out that the link the fire ending was the true ending of dark souls 1 and that the cycle cannot be broken? Since when did the dark become synonymous with evil instead of the things that make humans well... human? I thought the titular Dark Soul was the soul that the furtive pygmy found and used to make humanity, not some ancient evil force or other such horseshit.

Such a letdown, at least the actual game is good enough to warrant another playthrough.

Did you guys complaining about the DS2 story even pay attention to the story of Dark Souls? For how much you love it you sure seem to get it entirely wrong.

Dark isn't inherently evil, and it isn't inherently evil in Dark Souls 2 either. However, as was shown perfectly clearly in Dark Souls with the abyss and Oolacile, dark is incredibly destructive and humans will misuse it. Which is why the cycle cannot be broken. The idea presented in Dark Souls 2 is that entire kingdoms rise and fall as humans repeat the same mistakes, their mastery of the world inevitably bringing about their downfall. This is literally what happended to Oolacile, which was in Dark Souls, the game you supposedly think the story is amazing in.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 2, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Reason posted:

In brightstone cove I Went into the room where two NPCs are supposed to be fighting, but neither of them were there, did I miss some dialogue somewhere or did I just miss the fight? If I missed the fight where did the one who won go?

Basically here is the check list.

For Pate, did you (one) already talk to him Cardinal Tower and he gives you the soapstone? (2) Go to Earthen Peak and talk to him after getting the treasure behind the door? You gotta do both to make him move to Brighstone cove.
For Creighton, did you (one) release him from his cell in Huntsman Copse? (two) Did you talk to him in the Shaded Wood fork road, and exhausted his dialogue options? All those have to be met for them to fight.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

This is the best change they made to Dark Souls 2.

Moving while using carvings. :v:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Captain Oblivious posted:

Not quite

Vendrick is not the protagonist, from DaS. Period. The Sublime Bone Dust description refers to the Chosen Undead, who sacrificed himself to rekindle the First Flame and prolong the Age of Fire. The Four Lord Souls from Dark Souls 1 have been rematerializing in different hosts for an indeterminate period of time ever since, this is extremely clear by the descriptions of the Four Old One Souls in DaS2 and hammered home by what they drop on NG+. The Old Iron King is a manifestation of Gwynn's Lord Soul, the Rotten is a manifestation of Gravelord Nito's Lord Soul, the Duke is Seath, the Lost Sinner is the Witch of Izalith.

Vendrick defeated prior incarnations of these four, used their power to become the buff sonovabitch he was, and was manipulated by Nashandra whom is the reincarnation of Manus/Furtive Pygmy and aspected towards the Abyss. Vendrick is urged to go across the sea and gently caress up the Giants by Nashandra and claim some prize. The art of making golems? Seems like there was something more, somehow. Here's where things get a little unclear: Nashandra wanted Vendrick to ascend to the "true" Throne and do something, but it's not really clear what that is. The Throne of Want is clearly connected, and the ending talks about you linking the Flame...again. But I don't really see how sitting on a throne accomplishes that, and the talk of "what lays before you who even knows" in the ending also seems to run contrary to that. The ending is a garbled mess, basically.

There's some kind of theme that the Curse is ambition/greed/desire itself though I guess. Which is odd, because letting go of those things is what makes you go Hollow.

I thought Nashandra went after the giants because they had the Throne of Want. She made Vendrick steal it from them (which is why they attacked Drangleic in the first place: Giant Lord Soul: "The Giants landed on the northern shores, and set siege to King Vendrick's castle to claim an invaluable prize." Nashandra somehow did some weirdo magic to make slave giants/golems to build the castle, hiding the Throne at the bottom before the giants attacked. She wanted to find someone to use the Throne, but Vendrick wouldn't use it, so she kicked him the gently caress out "Drangleic has no need for two rulers." There was also something about the Throne fulfilling some desire or dream or something. I read it as saying that the Throne makes you see the reality you want.

Yo I think Dark Souls is just Inception

edit: I still don't know why the Emerald exists. I think she's just one of Nashandra's tricks and ~you were the bad guy all along~

edit2: Giant's Kinship: Each king has his rightful throne.
And when he sits upon it,
he sees what he chooses to see.

Or perhaps, it is the throne,
which shows the king only what he wants.

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 2, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just got summoned by Little Mac, going shirtless, with the same black hair and wielding dual caestus. If that was one of you, thanks for making my night :allears:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Propaganda Hour posted:

I thought Nashandra went after the giants because they had the Throne of Want. She made Vendrick steal it from them (which is why they attacked Drangleic in the first place: Giant Lord Soul: "The Giants landed on the northern shores, and set siege to King Vendrick's castle to claim an invaluable prize." Nashandra somehow did some weirdo magic to make slave giants/golems to build the castle, hiding the Throne at the bottom before the giants attacked. She wanted to find someone to use the Throne, but Vendrick wouldn't use it, so she kicked him the gently caress out "Drangleic has no need for two rulers." There was also something about the Throne fulfilling some desire or dream or something. I read it as saying that the Throne makes you see the reality you want.

edit: I still don't know why the Emerald exists. I think she's just one of Nashandra's tricks and ~you were the bad guy all along~

Well..
The Emerald exists because she's basically a hybird of a human/dragon. She's a failed experiment. They were trying to get rid of the curse by making her. I think Vendrick/Alida knew dragons were the key to getting rid of the curse. She's basically the last firekeeper and wants you to rekindle the flame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Propaganda Hour posted:

edit2: Giant's Kinship: Each king has his rightful throne.
And when he sits upon it,
he sees what he chooses to see.

Or perhaps, it is the throne,
which shows the king only what he wants.

Nashandra didn't create the golems. Wellager explicitly tells you Vendrick created the golems as a gift for his queen after they warred with the giants, and to build his castle. She also didn't kick Vendrick out; he eventually found out she was up to no good and fled to the Undead Crypt. That's why there's a shitton of hollowed soldiers in the way; their last duty before going hollow was to protect the king and prevent anyone from harming him, and now hollowed they carry out their last duty by attacking and killing anyone that tries to reach him.

The Emerald Herald is most likely a creation of Aldia; Vendrick may also be involved. She tells you she was "born of dragons, contrived by men, by ones who would cozen fate herself...Fate would not be bested, and men were cursed once again." Presumably she was created by Aldia and Vendrick as an attempt to stop the curse of the undead. There's some things that suggest she's something of a firekeeper (Navlaan - who may in fact be Aldia - calls her a Firekeeper). She may have been created in an attempt to kindle the first flame, perhaps? But it ultimately failed.