Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Until Loki gets a buff all of you guys with limited roster space can safely sell him because he is scrub-tier.

The one advantage Loki has is his own private lightning round, so if rocking out in lightning rounds is your thing, keep him around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You guys.

I am devastated that the Punisher tournament has no desert area.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SynthOrange posted:

You guys.

I am devastated that the Punisher tournament has no desert area.

It still has the critical tile room. Better than the other loving two. Especially with Daken/OBW.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Falcon has made me realize how utterly bag-tastic Loki has become. Falcon basically does everything Loki's black does but passively and way better. Loki's black is too expensive and too situational, so he has that one purple power that is completely not dangerous. Wow swap some tiles around. The horror.

I know you actually participate in higher level fights than I can but it seems like the introduction of falcon is just the situational scenario you were mentioning. It may not be the most defendable lineup but certainly loki could be the go-to to take advantage of the tiles that falcon generates/buffs. I really am not sure how else you would be able to turn around a situation where a full purple falcon gets his tiles down.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
A couple of good board churn moves would certainly help. Juggs or any variant of Storm for example.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I know you actually participate in higher level fights than I can but it seems like the introduction of falcon is just the situational scenario you were mentioning. It may not be the most defendable lineup but certainly loki could be the go-to to take advantage of the tiles that falcon generates/buffs. I really am not sure how else you would be able to turn around a situation where a full purple falcon gets his tiles down.
My thoughts on this:

- Protect tiles get matched out pretty easily during the course of a game or blown up by 4-matches, barring one outlier tile that gets stuck in the corner. Or bring a character with board-shuffle or tile replacement skill. Storm, jugg, c. Mag, cap, etc.

- prevent it (Bird Strike) from being used in the first place. Bring OBW on your team to tank purple and steal with espionage. Or bring Hood to steal/blow up protect tiles with his yellow. At 12AP and AP steal you stand a good chance to prevent bird strike from being triggered the whole game.

- counter with you own Falcon?

Truth is that if a full purple falcon gets all those protect tiles down it will slow you down. But protect tiles arent really that big of a deal imo and won't win the game. A single protect tile with a very strong value (lazycap, IW) is actually much more problematic that a bunch of low-level protect tiles scattered all over the board.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Auritech posted:

Actually, I think that first guy is Nick Fury, since everyone knows he's next up to win. And I called 80s Mohawk Storm. :D

Was Sentry still alive during Dark Reign? I dropped out of regular reading after Secret Invasion, and that was ye long time ago.

Sentry was the biggest threat during Dark Reign. He quite literally ripped Ares in half, which was a drat shame, because Ares was awesome.

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Falcon has made me realize how utterly bag-tastic Loki has become. Falcon basically does everything Loki's black does but passively and way better. Loki's black is too expensive and too situational, so he has that one purple power that is completely not dangerous. Wow swap some tiles around. The horror.

Until Loki gets a buff all of you guys with limited roster space can safely sell him because he is scrub-tier.

I'm inclined to disagree. Unless you're teaming with cap or getting lucky with Falcon's bird locations, his enemy tile elimination is very slow and easy to overwhelm. Also, don't underestimate the utility of Loki's purple, it's essentially a free move every time you activate. If you get some lucky chains, you can get the equivalent of multiple turns every time you activate his ability. Think of it as a slightly less good Modern Storm that works well on every stage. Not only that but Loki is a hard counter to a number of the more annoying fights, like Daken and Bullseye.

With that said, I do think Falcon is strictly better than Loki, thanks to his yellow ability. He's a natural team-up with Punisher, Spidey, Psylocke, Bullseye and the Wolverines/Daken.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 1, 2014

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Would anyone be able to help me map out my transition to 3 star characters? My only *** with all colors right now are Hulk and some supports so I'm basically stuck running OBW/Thor on offense forever. What should my roadmap be for getting the gently caress out of this level 85 rut?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Syrinxx posted:

Would anyone be able to help me map out my transition to 3 star characters? My only *** with all colors right now are Hulk and some supports so I'm basically stuck running OBW/Thor on offense forever. What should my roadmap be for getting the gently caress out of this level 85 rut?

I'd say Ares. He's pretty strong for a 2 star, and he's even buffed in the current simulator event. Buffed Ares is really stupid. Astonishing Wolverine isn't terrible either. Obviously not nearly as good as he was pre-patch, but he's still a solid 2 star. Once those two are finished I'd say maybe switch to Hulk.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Syrinxx posted:

First, have you read the guide to transitioning? http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3939

Part of your problem is the only "high tier" 3* character you have a significant number of covers for is Magneto, and you still don't have enough to make him effective (particularly since part of what makes him high tier is how cheap his moves can get with a lot of covers). You either need to get more covers for a different character while saving up ISO or just say gently caress it and pump ISO into Hulk and/or Hood to make them the mainstays of your team. You've got 5 blue on Hood, which is actually really, really good; I use Spidey/Punisher as my mains but Hood is always my third when I get a choice because he makes fights easy mode. With 5 blue you will always have an AP advantage over your opponent, especially if you can figure out ways to keep a lot of a color you want to siphon away on the board in unmatchable positions. Hulk and Hood are the characters I'm most likely to skip past when I'm looking for matches because both are a pain to deal with, so you'd have that going for you.

The way to get more 3* covers is to get top 100 in tournaments, ideally top 10 for 2 covers at a time. Even more ideally you'd be in an alliance that wins covers, but that becomes less likely as more 20 person try hard alliances show up and push more casual 20 person alliances out. Doing that requires some effort, particularly at the very end of the tournament, and/or shields, but it looks like you need to save HP for character slots so shields probably aren't a good idea. If you're having issues with the opponents you fight being too hard to get into the top brackets, try tanking your MMR for a bit. Try to play right when a lightning round or PVP event starts so that you get seed teams and save a team with the default character and two level 1-4 characters. Assuming you don't care about the reward for that tournament, you can build up points for a while and then attack the seed team you saved with the lowest level team you can put together and still be sure of winning. You'll get attacked a lot for easy points and you'll start being matched against easier opponents so you have an easier time placing in tournaments you care about.

Doing well in PVE events also helps, but in my experience those take more effort to place well in and, since they last so much longer, you get guaranteed cover payouts less often.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Sefer posted:

Part of your problem is the only "high tier" 3* character you have a significant number of covers for is Magneto, and you still don't have enough to make him effective (particularly since part of what makes him high tier is how cheap his moves can get with a lot of covers). You either need to get more covers for a different character while saving up ISO or just say gently caress it and pump ISO into Hulk and/or Hood to make them the mainstays of your team.
Yeah I know Hood/Hulk are cool in events where you can pick your three, or on defense, but on 2 man offense they are basically poo poo. If I take them into a pvp tourney with a level 23 third, I will never do as well as I can with Thor/OBW. So I'm curious given my lineup if I'm better off trying to max out Ares to pair up with Hood and leaving Hulk for defense only? Or would level 100+ Hood/Hulk actually start to hit hard enough in match damage or something to offset their bad offensive abilities?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I just fought a max level Hulk with 5 Anger. I just saved him for last. I never fear the Hulk. He's a pain in the rear end, and he KO'd two of my heroes, but only because I was playing it risky. If you save up all your attacks and whittle him down until you can take him out, he's not a huge threat.

He does limit group attacks like Molotov or Wind Storm if you are worried about Anger.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Yeah I know Hood/Hulk are cool in events where you can pick your three, or on defense, but on 2 man offense they are basically poo poo. If I take them into a pvp tourney with a level 23 third, I will never do as well as I can with Thor/OBW. So I'm curious given my lineup if I'm better off trying to max out Ares to pair up with Hood and leaving Hulk for defense only? Or would level 100+ Hood/Hulk actually start to hit hard enough in match damage or something to offset their bad offensive abilities?

Honestly I don't think it's that worth it to max Ares if you already have Thor maxed, particularly with Hood; Thor's tile generation makes it easier for Hood to drain the colors you want. I maxed an Ares back when he came out because he was boosted and Thor wasn't in the event going on and I had gotten 13 covers in the PVE that introduced him; after that I generally only used him if Thor was knocked out unless there was another event where only one was boosted.

If you get Hulk up to 141 (which is unfortunately 100k iso away for you right now), his green/red/black match damage becomes 67/60/52, which is about 34% better than a maxed 2-star. With Hood feeding him greens whenever there are a lot on the board and him generating more greens on the board if he's ever hit hard, he should be out damaging any two star characters significantly, particularly if you're able to save a bunch of green before you start clapping since destroying tiles also takes advantage of his high match damage. But you'd probably want to level him up at least past 100 before you start using him over Thor.

Alternately, stick with your current 2* lineup and just save ISO until you have another 3* with a lot of covers so you can throw all the saved up ISO at it at once. It generally takes a long time to transition to 3*, I'm pretty sure I was running Thor/OBW for months before I started getting 3* characters high enough to be more useful.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Happy Bear Suit posted:

My thoughts on this:

- Protect tiles get matched out pretty easily during the course of a game or blown up by 4-matches, barring one outlier tile that gets stuck in the corner. Or bring a character with board-shuffle or tile replacement skill. Storm, jugg, c. Mag, cap, etc.

- prevent it (Bird Strike) from being used in the first place. Bring OBW on your team to tank purple and steal with espionage. Or bring Hood to steal/blow up protect tiles with his yellow. At 12AP and AP steal you stand a good chance to prevent bird strike from being triggered the whole game.

- counter with you own Falcon?

Truth is that if a full purple falcon gets all those protect tiles down it will slow you down. But protect tiles arent really that big of a deal imo and won't win the game. A single protect tile with a very strong value (lazycap, IW) is actually much more problematic that a bunch of low-level protect tiles scattered all over the board.

If you saw someone doing something like a Spiderman+Patch/Punisher+Falcon combo (which a bunch of people seem to be talking about) wouldn't you think Loki would be the perfect way to secure a victory instead of slowly trying to regain control of the inevitable tile flood with Redwing?

e: I'm not saying this is the perfect end-all strategy to handle it but I'm just arguing against Loki being completely dismissed. He definitely has his uses, after all.

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 1, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Loki's scatter is ridiculously cheap. The problems that he has are his black is useless if you're not against a countdown user and his abysmal health level. I'd really like to put him on a team just because of his purple, but his downsides are pretty bad.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Loki's scatter is ridiculously cheap. The problems that he has are his black is useless if you're not against a countdown user and his abysmal health level. I'd really like to put him on a team just because of his purple, but his downsides are pretty bad.

Or if you're using Patch. Loki is amazing if you run Patch.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The simulator is a pretty big eye opener on how big a crutch Spidey and Punisher are to my team. Take one or more away, I'm screwed! At least Thor NOW is a pretty good backup, and buffed too.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Hey folks in bad alliance pretty sure im done with the game. Ill remove myself from the group and wish yall good luck.

Sinfjotli
Dec 22, 2003

Lemon Curry?

Scob posted:

Hey folks in bad alliance pretty sure im done with the game. Ill remove myself from the group and wish yall good luck.

Me too, I won't be playing for the foreseeable future so I left bad alliance earlier today.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I wish I had your will. The sunken cost fallacy gets me every time though.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

So the first round, I got a Falcon cover from the first Highly Trained token...and now the second round's super-extra-best-buddy for all the bonus events is Loki, who I actually have? I think I like this event.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Holy poo poo, AC.Milan of The Vigilantes alliance has literally every character with full covers and levels. And is shielded in The Shield simulator, with 17 days to go. God Bless.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
Well, you heard it here first, folks; we have two slots open in bad alliance. This is a super casual alliance and we will never give you static for not contributing--but we also don't seem to get higher than 300 on the Alliance rankings so be forewarned.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

incoming words words words

A.o.D. posted:

I'm inclined to disagree. Unless you're teaming with cap or getting lucky with Falcon's bird locations, his enemy tile elimination is very slow and easy to overwhelm. Also, don't underestimate the utility of Loki's purple, it's essentially a free move every time you activate. If you get some lucky chains, you can get the equivalent of multiple turns every time you activate his ability. Think of it as a slightly less good Modern Storm that works well on every stage. Not only that but Loki is a hard counter to a number of the more annoying fights, like Daken and Bullseye.

With that said, I do think Falcon is strictly better than Loki, thanks to his yellow ability. He's a natural team-up with Punisher, Spidey, Psylocke, Bullseye and the Wolverines/Daken.
Still gotta adamantly and insistently disagree with y'alls. I just think you're over-estimating how easy it is to match out a Falcon countdown tile and have it re-spawn somewhere else. And when I judge how good a power is I compare it to other characters, and Loki's purple is not great. You spend 5AP to shuffle the board and if there's no good moves you've thrown away 5AP. With 3 more purple AP you could use OBW and guarantee a steal, charge up your colors and prevent their powers from firing. Or with just 5 more purple AP you could use C. Mag's Magnetic Translocation and insta-down an enemy. Or with 11 purple you could use GSBW and explode the entire board into green and crit tiles.

As far as Daken and Bullseye go, their health is too squishy. At 2920 and 2190 health it is really easy to conventionally kill them before they become a nuisance. And how many times do we ever see Daken and Bullseye used together in PVP combat? It's not exactly an intimidating and tanky combo. The only annoying thing about them is seeing that stupid passive popup. If we're discussing a PVE event and they're scaled to lv.400 and Loki is boosted I could possibly see an argument there, but in that case I'd simply cheese it with Spidey.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If you saw someone doing something like a Spiderman+Patch/Punisher+Falcon combo (which a bunch of people seem to be talking about) wouldn't you think Loki would be the perfect way to secure a victory instead of slowly trying to regain control of the inevitable tile flood with Redwing?

e: I'm not saying this is the perfect end-all strategy to handle it but I'm just arguing against Loki being completely dismissed. He definitely has his uses, after all.
Haven't seem a team like this yet but if I saw someone running a team with 2 support characters (Spiderman and Falcon) and one offensive character (Patch/Punisher) whose health is 5800 and on the low-end of the 3* spectrum I'd think this team is super-squishy and easy to kill, with or without Loki. Metagame theory-crafting time: I'd counter this team with Lazythor, Punisher, and OBW. OBW steals blue and purple on matches thereby nullifying Spidey and Falcon, Punisher gets off his green and OBW double-dips the strike tiles, killing Spidey or Falcon who get finished off fast (and by Punisher's red/black if needed), lazythor's yellow downs a straggler, lazythor's green cleans up the team, and OBW's blue heals everyone up and you end the game with full health.

A.o.D. posted:

Or if you're using Patch. Loki is amazing if you run Patch.
I have a 5/5/3 Patch and a 5/5 Loki, I tried this, and I don't think they're that amazing together. Theoretically, I know where you're coming from with this, but there's a reason you don't see top players in 5DV/SHIELD/DjangoUnbuffed running Patch and Loki (in fact I very rarely if ever see Patch and Loki used together). The simple fact is that you're slowing yourself down by having Loki on your team since he is that bad.

More metagame theory-crafting here: Patch/C.Mag/Black Panther is clearly a superior choice. Problem with Loki's black is that at lv. 5 it costs 11AP. With BP and for 12 black AP you do 3000 team damage. My philosophy which I feel strongly about is you win the game by killing opponents, not by converting tiles. More problem with Loki's black is that you need to wait until there's an opening to use it. Either your Patch or the enemy Patch uses their green first. With BP's black you have much more flexibility in casting it. Not to mention on defense the computer will likely be incompetent with Loki and probably use the black at a really inopportune time. Also spending all that time collecting black for Loki and not having an opening to use it is a waste of time when you could have just killed somebody with direct offensive powers. Again, takes too long, and Loki is simply too situational.

As far as Patch buddies go, Patch and C.Mag is a whole different story for another day but they are the best combo. They are so good together we're going to see a C.Mag nerf soon since this combo is stupid effective.

Overall, if there is a PVE event and Loki is boosted I could see a use for him there. But is Loki a character worth sinking ISO into? Are his colors pound-for-pound better than other characters of comparable colors? Does he have effective synergy with other characters that make him worth using which other characters don't have? Is this a person who has a long shelf life? Is this character versatile and effective in different scenarios? I have to answer no to all of these questions. And until Loki gets buffed I see little value in using him, ever. Falcon>>>>>Loki.

Happy Bear Suit fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 2, 2014

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Loki? More like an extra 500 ISO.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Breaking news from the d3 forum:

quote:

if you read the rest of my post then you will see that is it actually quite stupid.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I think the 3rd round of Simulator will be Ragnorak after looking at the highly trained pack details and who is currently boosted.

Pulled purple GBW from one of my tokens, so she is now 5/3/4. :toot:

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Happy Bear Suit posted:

incoming words words words

Still gotta adamantly and insistently disagree with y'alls. I just think you're over-estimating how easy it is to match out a Falcon countdown tile and have it re-spawn somewhere else. And when I judge how good a power is I compare it to other characters, and Loki's purple is not great. You spend 5AP to shuffle the board and if there's no good moves you've thrown away 5AP. With 3 more purple AP you could use OBW and guarantee a steal, charge up your colors and prevent their powers from firing. Or with just 5 more purple AP you could use C. Mag's Magnetic Translocation and insta-down an enemy. Or with 11 purple you could use GSBW and explode the entire board into green and crit tiles.

For one more purple match (9 AP) you can use Mag NOW! to create blue and crits all over as well, feeding your Spideys and OBWs. Plus he has a strong red attack if you need it, even it it's a tad pricy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp, got tons of hp coming in. Fought up to 1100, shielded up. People bonking against the shield have nearly put me at 1200. :getin:

DrowningHarvey
Mar 24, 2013
Grinded my way to the 10-pack of heroic tokens... Only to get Rags, Loki and two Bag-Mans from them.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
The third heroic node before the iso reward node is nuts. Daredevil, Hood and a Commander. I went after the Commander first, and the Hood stole so much AP that Daredevil flooded the board with lethal traps. Insane. I brought Loki instead of Ares, a big mistake.

I'm not sure who to bring with Thor. OBW is usually a good choice. Ares seems like a good idea for his insane single target damage. Loki was useless. Its hard to out steal the Hood.

Edit: Brought Thor, Ares and OBW. Used one of the +50% damage boosts and killed Hood, then Commander, and finally Daredevil.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 2, 2014

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

gromdul posted:

The third heroic node before the iso reward node is nuts. Daredevil, Hood and a Commander. I went after the Commander first, and the Hood stole so much AP that Daredevil flooded the board with lethal traps. Insane. I brought Loki instead of Ares, a big mistake.

I'm not sure who to bring with Thor. OBW is usually a good choice. Ares seems like a good idea for his insane single target damage. Loki was useless. Its hard to out steal the Hood.

Edit: Brought Thor, Ares and OBW. Used one of the +50% damage boosts and killed Hood, then Commander, and finally Daredevil.

Always kill Hood first. His AP drain will mess you up every time if you don't get him out of the way fast.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sefer posted:

Always kill Hood first. His AP drain will mess you up every time if you don't get him out of the way fast.

My kill order is Hood/OBW > Spiderman > Classic Magneto > Everyone else.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Modern Storm is on that list too, because gently caress Hailstorm.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Hailstorm is annoying, but Mistress of the Elements can cause a wicked cascade.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, I'll kill Storm before OBW, because if she gets her red and/or green off (especially on Desert or Jungle), someone is probably going to die, because there'll be a brutal chain reaction of rear end kicking headed my way.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd like to join Bad Alliance if I could. Pretty sure my name is Catseman.

edit: Also how does shielding work? I put one up to protect my rank 130 in this punisher thing, but I'm getting +0s when people fight me?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 3, 2014

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My targeting order is something like:

Bullseye -> Storm (either) -> OBW -> Thor -> Whoever
If I have a burst ability up, I'll kill Daken ASAP. Otherwise, I'll leave him alone.

Storm is a great battery/can cause an endless loop of death, or C.Storm has the disgustingly good blue ability as well as the yellow that keeps me from using multi-hit attacks, which I like, and from paying too much attention to someone else. Bullseye gets earliest priority, largely because he's almost always a PvE Bullseye, way too high of a level, and if you don't take him down fast, he'll get like 3 protect tiles and make his entire team invincible, which is kind of a bummer. Widow is Widow. Thor and Daken are the only characters I fear.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bullseye's protect will drop match damage to 1, but it's not a big deal. You really want to focus on ability damage anyway. He'll usually at the back of any targetting list I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The end of the Army Of One tournament must have been crabbing hell. That's the first time I've seen the entire top 10, with points ranging from 1100 to 800, shielded. Normally there's always somebody trying to make a last minute climb.