Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: At the current pace I hope this show goes for a while and it'll be one of those "the first season is pretty lackluster" shows. There's plenty that have remained awesome once they got their act together.

The Babylon 5 rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

twistedmentat posted:

How many episodes are left in the season?

The next one is the finale.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The Red Queen posted:

The next one is the finale.

No, the next one is the penultimate episode. The finale is in two weeks.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Lazlow posted:

Rant incoming, fair warning.

I don't understand something. I don't understand why I have watched every single episode of this show when every single episode of this show has been exponentially worse than the previous one - and the first was EPIC loving levels of BAD. None of the characters are likeable because they are such blatant tropes. NONE OF THEM. I cannot possibly form any kind of emotional investment in any character whatsoever because it they are all cardboard cutouts. No, not even that, they are loving photocopies of cardboard cutouts that someone faxed to me on goddamn thermal fax paper that for some drat reason I keep trying to flatten out every week in the vain hope that the ink hasn't faded any worse than the last week.

(Deep breaths, Lazlow, you'll be watching Spider-Man 2 soon enough)

Please post your Spider-Man 2 review after you watch it. :allears:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

imperialparadox posted:

Yeah, Ward is the one that is the badass, according to his test scores, other characters comments, and first-hand experience, especially given that he was a HYDRA agent in deep cover the entire time, fooling Coulson's team through-and-through. If I remember right, didn't he actually beat May in their fight during the Lorelei episode, and was a split second away from blowing her brains out?

In that situation, May would be showing restraint and not going for the kill immediately.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

ashpanash posted:

No, the next one is the penultimate episode. The finale is in two weeks.

Yes, I've noticed that nearly all the shows I watch have hyped "NEXT WEEK: THE LAST EPISODE!!! ...before the epic season finale!" so I keep getting confused as to if there are one or two episodes left. Two, though, the answer is two.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

hollylolly posted:

Yes, I've noticed that nearly all the shows I watch have hyped "NEXT WEEK: THE LAST EPISODE!!! ...before the epic season finale!" so I keep getting confused as to if there are one or two episodes left. Two, though, the answer is two.

Thank you, I think this is exactly what I heard, hence the confusion. Sorry!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

jng2058 posted:

Just like Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse, and pretty much everything Whedon's done on TV. Except maybe Firefly. Unless what we saw was Firefly having a down first season, in which case the subsequent seasons would have been.... :aaaaa:

Firefly was pretty mediocre so it likely was a bad first season as usual.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

PCOS Bill posted:

Firefly was pretty mediocre so it likely was a bad first season as usual.

Just gonna slide up in here, drop my one line controversial opinion, and bounce. No explanation needed.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Someone's always gotta be the bad guy. :shrug:

Still, I really enjoyed the first half season of Firefly. If the quality had improved from season one to season two, it would have been magnificent. :sigh:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mikeraskol posted:

Just gonna slide up in here, drop my one line controversial opinion, and bounce. No explanation needed.

I'll be in my bunk.

Get it I'm going to go masturbate.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I love Firefly as much as the next guy but I mean, it's not perfect. Any given viewer usually has an entire episode or two that they weren't that into. There was room for improvement.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

XboxPants posted:

I love Firefly as much as the next guy but I mean, it's not perfect. Any given viewer usually has an entire episode or two that they weren't that into. There was room for improvement.

There was room for improvement, but it's not like it had a crappy 'finding itself' first season like Buffy or Dollhouse. Firefly knew what it was from the word go.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BurtLington posted:

This show has come a long way since its started. Its so much better with a developing plot as opposed to villain of the week IMO.
Exactly one out of four Whedon shows before this was strong from the start, and it's the one that got cancelled before its first season even ended.

Edit: I see I've been beaten.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 2, 2014

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
That huge rant post mentioned the, "Lose the ounce," line from Ward.

Now we know he was completely loving with them the whole time it kinda makes that exchange hysterical to me.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

James R posted:

That huge rant post mentioned the, "Lose the ounce," line from Ward.

Now we know he was completely loving with them the whole time it kinda makes that exchange hysterical to me.

Ward's entire character is retroactively made amazing. When he was going through his stupid generic loner quotes with Raina: "I don't play well with others"

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Metal Loaf posted:

The Babylon 5 rule.

MINDQUAKE.

This show is missing a MINDQUAKE moment.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Dexo posted:

Ward's entire character is retroactively made amazing. When he was going through his stupid generic loner quotes with Raina: "I don't play well with others"

And then after his reveal: "I'm everyone's type. :smug:"

EDIT: The Facebook group posted a minute preview of the next episode, and it looks pretty great. :allears:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=687177834680401&saved&linkId=8125604

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 2, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ha, Coulson slipping into a scots accent is pretty great.

Can we talk about how the Slingshot, the big, hugely expensive, space rocket program is actually just a lie? How much does it cost to launch each rocket when all they're doing is just keeping it in the Fridge?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The_Doctor posted:

Can we talk about how the Slingshot, the big, hugely expensive, space rocket program is actually just a lie? How much does it cost to launch each rocket when all they're doing is just keeping it in the Fridge?

You are talking as if the government who funds military projects gives any fucks about cost so long as they can justify it as "protecting the homeland"

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

The_Doctor posted:

Probably not much as you think if they were, say, using it as cover to launch the Insight satellites.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

XboxPants posted:

Please post your Spider-Man 2 review after you watch it. :allears:

My brother's review was "I was expecting a 5, it turned out to be a 7 or 8 so I left the theater happy." Not exactly a quantitative review, particularly since he puts Thor 2 at an 8 and I say it's more of a 5 (though the same movie without Thor and Damsel in Distress would be a 9).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He gave it a number. That's literally a quantitative review.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

greatn posted:

He gave it a number. That's literally a quantitative review.

It's a number from gut rather than any direct measures. A 4 is not half as good as an 8. For properly quantitative information someone else can do the same measure and get the same number.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 2, 2014

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

The_Doctor posted:

Well, the rockets could be serving HYDRA's auxiliary plot of building a moonbase.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Pyroi posted:

Well, the rockets could be serving HYDRA's auxiliary plot of building a moonbase.

They should do that. They should literally have an episode on the moon with the same quality of special effects as the flying car. Hell, embrace it; I'd watch it.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

imperialparadox posted:

They should do that. They should literally have an episode on the moon with the same quality of special effects as the flying car. Hell, embrace it; I'd watch it.

"Why aren't we bouncing around in the low gravity?" "Magnet boots."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Zebulon posted:

Probably not much as you think if they were, say, using it as cover to launch the Insight satellites.
Goddammit, that's good. I declare that's canon even if it wasn't planned that way.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

PunkBoy posted:

EDIT: The Facebook group posted a minute preview of the next episode, and it looks pretty great. :allears:

Is the aerosol grenade they're talking about the same one that made the train "disappear" in that one multiple perspective episode? Wonder who these guys are.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zebulon posted:

Except Project Insight was a upfront project they weren't hiding. I'm going to go with HYDRA Moonbase.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

One day they're going to introduce Planet Hulk into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and you're going to go "Holy poo poo, THAT'S why they have The Slingshot!"

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

These two, especially May, were awesome in this.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
The Slingshot doesn't exist. It's just how Fury hides the black budget for Providence base, and Koenig's XBOX live account.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

The_Doctor posted:

Except Project Insight was a upfront project they weren't hiding. I'm going to go with HYDRA Moonbase.

If they were being entirely honest with it why did they need mobile launch bases on ships in international waters to send them up?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zebulon posted:

If they were being entirely honest with it why did they need mobile launch bases on ships in international waters to send them up?

They were honest with it, but no country would allow them to launch from their territory?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

jscolon2.0 posted:

The Slingshot doesn't exist. It's just how Fury hides the black budget for Providence base, and Koenig's XBOX live account.

Don't call it the "Black Budget" in front of Fury.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Okay. African-American budget then.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

jscolon2.0 posted:

The space shuttles clearly do though.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

R-Type posted:

Don't call it the "Black Budget" in front of Fury.

SHIELD calls their black budget accounts "Nick Fury's rainy day jar."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

David D. Davidson posted:

SHIELD calls their black budget accounts "Nick Fury's rainy day jar."

It's the account titled Bad motherfucker

• Locked thread