Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

So my girlfriend got an ice cream maker attachment for our stand mixer, and i feel like trying to make coffee ice cream with it.

Anyone have thoughts about if its worth getting some decent quality beans to make it with? I'd imagine that by the time its done most of the distinct flavours of the bean would be lost, right?

I would probably use a French Roast of good quality because when chilled so heavily you're not going to get the nuance of quality beans. Don't brew the coffee unless you're doing it in milk and then straining, because you don't want to add any extra water - although espresso or any other concentrated method would be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Bob_McBob posted:

The numbers on any grinder's adjustment dial are just an index, and depend entirely on where the "zero" is set. The adjustment also varies over time as the burrs break in, especially when the grinder is new. Even with the same grinder model, you can never rely on one person's "15" being the same as another person's "15".

Makes sense. I guess to re-word the question, how fine do you guys brew for CCD? I thought it was supposed to be a medium grind, somewhere in between a metal filter grind and a paper filter grind.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Makes sense. I guess to re-word the question, how fine do you guys brew for CCD? I thought it was supposed to be a medium grind, somewhere in between a metal filter grind and a paper filter grind.

I brew fairly coarse on mine. Not quite french press coarse, but close.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I was doing that too. My cups are never as good as they should be, and I've played around with grind. Not sure why, obviously it's all fresh coffee, I do the process right, I time 3:30 and then let it filter from there. Sometimes it can be good but I feel like it's not as bright/sweet/flavor-defined as it is when I have cups at work.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Try different filters?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Also, how are you brewing at work?

For the record: what does "bright" mean in terms of coffee? I've seen it used a lot but I have no idea what it actually means.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sour. The coffee industry people get pissed if you call it sour though. Think single-origin Ethiopian espressos.

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

dik-dik posted:

For the record: what does "bright" mean in terms of coffee? I've seen it used a lot but I have no idea what it actually means.

It basically means sourness, but it's not a lingering sourness if that makes sense.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

dik-dik posted:

Well, we don't do single-brew method at work, but I've had plenty of pour-overs all around NYC and I can't get mine to taste quite that good. I can french press and it tastes great.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Sour. The coffee industry people get pissed if you call it sour though. Think single-origin Ethiopian espressos.

Yeah, it's basically sourness/acidity, like a lemony quality.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I was doing that too. My cups are never as good as they should be, and I've played around with grind. Not sure why, obviously it's all fresh coffee, I do the process right, I time 3:30 and then let it filter from there. Sometimes it can be good but I feel like it's not as bright/sweet/flavor-defined as it is when I have cups at work.

Are you using different water at home?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

grahm posted:

Are you using different water at home?

It's filtered but that might be part of it.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

It's filtered but that might be part of it.

Yeah water is a big deal (over 98% of a cup of coffee is water!). That's the first thing I check if a coffee tastes boring.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh god... please let my Brita'd tap water be good enough... I don't need any more variables!!! And I'm really not interested in buying gallons of water and hiking them up 3 flights of stairs on a regular basis.

My old place had a reverse osmosis tap installed, which was pretty awesome. No clue how much that would cost, but if it's reasonable, it's definitely something I'd be interested in investing in when I buy a house.

edit: this looks a lot like what they had... not a bad price.

enojy fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 2, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I've just been using a Pur water filter (same thing as a Brita) and it's been fine for me.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I've been roasting coffee for over a year now and sperging out with all the gadgets for a bit more than that. I'm ashamed to say I never went to a pourover coffee shop... until today. I'm in Chicago for the weekend so I hit up Intelligentsia and tried the Agua Preta Brazil. Good stuff! My brain is fried right now, so I'm having trouble recalling how my coffee compares. I'm happy to have a point of comparison for when I get back home.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Been playing around a little bit lately with a Japanese iced coffee method. I've got this tweaked pretty well for my taste buds, so I thought I'd share here.

Japanese Iced Coffee

Good for: iced coffee only. This is not a cold-brew method. The result of this process will be iced coffee, which you should drink immediately. It's verrrrrry different tasting from cold brew - not necessarily better, just different.

Materials
  • A large pour-over brewer of your choice (I like V60-02) and an appropriate filter
  • A server to brew into (you could combine these with a Chemex, but I will advise against it - see below)
  • 60g beans
  • 500ml hot water
  • 200g ice cubes - the larger, the better
Method
  1. Rinse your filter with cold water - we don't want to heat the server
  2. Pitch the rinse water and fill your pouring kettle with 500ml of hot brewing water - I start at 208ºF
  3. Grind 60g beans to appropriate consistency and place in filter
  4. Put 200ml ice cubes into the server you're brewing into, and put the pour-over brewer on top
  5. Brew as normal for your brewer, but as we are only using half the water we'd normally use, your pour will be a little faster

What you are left with is a server full of cold coffee, with a few small ice cubes floating around. Good job! Now pull out two pint glasses, drop a few more ice cubes in each, and split your delicious iced coffee with a loved one. For best results, consume outside.

Why do you advise against a Chemex? - If you have a Kone, go for it. If you don't, the paper filter must come out for the ice cubes to go in, and it is a bitch to get the wet paper filter seated back in there properly. You can absolutely give it a shot, but if you've got another method that will work, I'd do that instead.

Why such a big batch size? - It's more fun to share! Also, because we are brewing with half of the normal water volume, and it can be difficult to make a half-sized pour last the correct length of time. It's a lot easier to make a 500ml pour last three minutes than it is to make a 250ml pour last that long.

Why this method instead of cold brew? - I'd never ever ever recommend against cold brew. I love it. It is awesome. This isn't instead of, it is in addition to. Just another method to use. Plus, it requires basically no forethought. If you want to make cold brew, you need twelve hours. If you want to make Japanese iced coffee, you need about ten minutes. This is assuming you have ice. Also, it tastes different. Very different. It's hard to describe.

Why larger ice cubes? - Smaller cubes melt faster. There is some science as to why this is not desirable, but I would say: try it with smaller cubes, try it with larger cubes, take notes, and do whatever works for you.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

So I made my first batch of cold brew today, and i'm wondering: how much concentrate do you get after you filter yours? I seem to be getting a tiny amount (maybe 200 mL)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That sounds off! Especially if you started with 800mL of water as per becoming's recipe. I just made some the other day, but I've only got 24 oz. Ball jars, so I started with 600mL of water and ended up with around 450mL if I had to guess. I definitely lost some water, but not a whole lot.

Maybe the grind was too fine? I erred on the side of caution and went a little beyond french press coarseness, and still ended up with a good amount of non-recoverable sludge.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I finally tried making cold brew with becoming's recipe and it was amazing. I'll be doing this all the time now.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

becoming posted:

Been playing around a little bit lately with a Japanese iced coffee method. I've got this tweaked pretty well for my taste buds, so I thought I'd share here.

Japanese Iced Coffee
Why do you advise against a Chemex? - If you have a Kone, go for it. If you don't, the paper filter must come out for the ice cubes to go in, and it is a bitch to get the wet paper filter seated back in there properly. You can absolutely give it a shot, but if you've got another method that will work, I'd do that instead.

I rinse my filter outside of the chemex, does this note not apply to me? I'm a bit confused.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Bobx66 posted:

I rinse my filter outside of the chemex, does this note not apply to me? I'm a bit confused.

Yeah, wouldn't apply then. Rinse your filter, put ice cubes in Chemex, put filter in, brew as normal (but with half the water volume, of course).

You are more patient and/or skilled than I; I tried it once, could not get the filter to sit to my satisfaction, and never tried again. I love my Chemex and use it almost every day, but that's despite dealing with the paper filter, not because of it. :)

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

becoming posted:

Yeah, wouldn't apply then. Rinse your filter, put ice cubes in Chemex, put filter in, brew as normal (but with half the water volume, of course).

You are more patient and/or skilled than I; I tried it once, could not get the filter to sit to my satisfaction, and never tried again. I love my Chemex and use it almost every day, but that's despite dealing with the paper filter, not because of it. :)

I tried your recipe yesterday and my only issue was getting the cubes into the chemex. It turned out fantastic. Thank you for sharing.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

dik-dik posted:

So I made my first batch of cold brew today, and i'm wondering: how much concentrate do you get after you filter yours? I seem to be getting a tiny amount (maybe 200 mL)

Are you starting with 800mL water? The ratio of water-to-grounds will play a part too, as obviously more grounds will soak up more water. I haven't measured my yields lately, but I did way back when I first started cold brewing, and I never lost 75% of my water. I'll do another batch today and weigh the yield. If I had to guess, I'm thinking 4:1 ratio nets me about 600-650mL concentrate. To the kitchen I go!

Edit - I just went back and re-read the post I wrote, and I said a quart jar in there. I am actually not using 1-Qt jars, I am using 2-Qt jars. This is a terrible oversight on my part. You definitely need a bigger jar if you're gonna go 800mL of water. I don't think you can even get 800mL water and 100g beans in a 1-Qt jar. I will update my post to reflect that. Not sure where my brain was when I wrote that. If you want to brew in 1-Qt jars, halve the recipe.

Second edit - 800mL water, 200g grounds, twelve hours steeping, 534.4ml yield concentrate, which would equate to about 2,130mL coffee. Normally you'd expect to get that with about 148g of beans, so this is definitely less efficient than, say, pour-over. On the plus side, this is a good way to make something worthwhile out of stale beans that you were going to toss anyway. I'll measure yields from a few other methods and see how this compares.

becoming fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 6, 2014

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Does anyone have thoughts/experience with the Hawaii Kona Kowali Farm Typica 2014 from Sweet Maria's? I'm curious about it and put it in my cart last night, but after sleeping on it, I'm wondering it is worth the price premium.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

By the way: not sure if this is a good price or not, but the KONE coffee filter is currently on Massdrop. Figured I'd let y'all know in case one of you was looking for a kone.

Also my Hario V02 glass server arrived today and the handle was broken :c

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 5, 2014

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

taqueso posted:

Does anyone have thoughts/experience with the Hawaii Kona Kowali Farm Typica 2014 from Sweet Maria's? I'm curious about it and put it in my cart last night, but after sleeping on it, I'm wondering it is worth the price premium.
If Tom's selling it you know it's good - that also seems to be about the going rate for real Kona - I usually buy Kona from Smithfarms; they're about $19/lb plus $7 shipped. I like Sweetmarias but I also feel better about buying direct from the farm.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

porktree posted:

If Tom's selling it you know it's good - that also seems to be about the going rate for real Kona - I usually buy Kona from Smithfarms; they're about $19/lb plus $7 shipped. I like Sweetmarias but I also feel better about buying direct from the farm.

I'll check out Smith farms. I'm pretty new to roasting (just about 16 lbs so far) and I've only used Sweet Maria's. I'm definitely into trying some other suppliers.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

dik-dik posted:

By the way: not sure if this is a good price or not, but the KONE coffee filter is currently on Massdrop. Figured I'd let y'all know in case one of you was looking for a kone.

Also my Hario V02 glass server arrived today and the handle was broken :c

I'm thinking about doing this. I'm also thinking about just buying the bundle from Prima, which has a Kone plus a Chemex for $75 shipped. I'll need to do the math and see which is a better deal.

Where did you order the server from? Did it look like it was adequately packaged, but the shipper just punted it off a bridge or somesuch?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

becoming posted:

I'm thinking about doing this. I'm also thinking about just buying the bundle from Prima, which has a Kone plus a Chemex for $75 shipped. I'll need to do the math and see which is a better deal.

Where did you order the server from? Did it look like it was adequately packaged, but the shipper just punted it off a bridge or somesuch?

Amazon. It looked like it was broken when they packed it cause it was well packaged and the box was unharmed, but as soon as I picked it up I heard the jingling of broken glass. Oh well, at least their return policy is good.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

dik-dik posted:

Amazon. It looked like it was broken when they packed it cause it was well packaged and the box was unharmed, but as soon as I picked it up I heard the jingling of broken glass. Oh well, at least their return policy is good.

Roger. That's pretty obnoxious, still, but at least returns are easy.

I did some measuring of yields and edited it into my post above. Still more science to do, but that should give you an idea of the ballpark you should be in. 200mL is shockingly low if you're using 800mL water to start with, though my estimated 600-650 is high.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

becoming posted:

Edit - I just went back and re-read the post I wrote, and I said a quart jar in there. I am actually not using 1-Qt jars, I am using 2-Qt jars. This is a terrible oversight on my part. You definitely need a bigger jar if you're gonna go 800mL of water. I don't think you can even get 800mL water and 100g beans in a 1-Qt jar. I will update my post to reflect that. Not sure where my brain was when I wrote that. If you want to brew in 1-Qt jars, halve the recipe.

As I learned last week when I made a couple of cold brew batches using your 1:4 recipe, 800mL water and 100g beans certainly won't fit in a 1 quart jar. But I figured maybe my grind size was off or it needed time to settle and let the gas escape/water saturation happen or something. And I got fairly close, like 650mL of water, so the 1:8 might barely fit.

becoming posted:

Second edit - 800mL water, 200g grounds, twelve hours steeping, 534.4ml yield concentrate, which would equate to about 2,130mL coffee. Normally you'd expect to get that with about 148g of beans, so this is definitely less efficient than, say, pour-over. On the plus side, this is a good way to make something worthwhile out of stale beans that you were going to toss anyway. I'll measure yields from a few other methods and see how this compares.

Yeah, I had a few partial bags of stale beans I didn't just want to pitch, and they ended up making some really good cold brew.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
My aeropress is getting all kinds of cracks on the inside of the tube. I've used it about 1-3 times a day for about a year. Oh well at least it's cheap.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I'm considering getting a second grinder so I can have one at school and one at home. I currently have a Capresso Infinity. I'm considering either getting a Hario Mini Mill to keep at school, or getting a nicer electric one for home (probably a Baratza) and moving the Infinity to school.

I exclusively brew pour over; would I notice a difference from an upgrade to an Encore or a Preciso, or a "downgrade" to a Mini Mill?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

ded posted:

My aeropress is getting all kinds of cracks on the inside of the tube. I've used it about 1-3 times a day for about a year. Oh well at least it's cheap.

Like cracked half or just deep looking scratches? I've had the same one for a few years and it's used on average twice a day. Full of scratches but it still functions fine.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

tonedef131 posted:

Like cracked half or just deep looking scratches? I've had the same one for a few years and it's used on average twice a day. Full of scratches but it still functions fine.

Deep cracks all around the inside from about 1/4 inch from the top to 3/4 down the tube. It still works but I think it is on borrowed time before it fully breaks. I never put it in the dishwasher and always hand washed it.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

ded posted:

You could call and complain? They're meant to be pretty durable, though on the other hand you did get maybe 800 uses out of it for like 25 bucks.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

dik-dik posted:

I'm considering getting a second grinder so I can have one at school and one at home. I currently have a Capresso Infinity. I'm considering either getting a Hario Mini Mill to keep at school, or getting a nicer electric one for home (probably a Baratza) and moving the Infinity to school.

I exclusively brew pour over; would I notice a difference from an upgrade to an Encore or a Preciso, or a "downgrade" to a Mini Mill?

I have the Hario Skerton and it works great for a pour over grind. It's just "good" for anything coarser than that, without modifying it. The only downgrade is just the fact that it's a hand grinder.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
For you guys who love the Aeropress and use it regularly, what's the appeal? Cheap espresso-like beverage? I have one and I mostly drink pour over drip, and I haven't been able to make a cup with the Aeropress that's anything close to espresso in terms of intensity of flavor or body to make it anything more than a novelty. Am I just bad at the Aeropress, or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

AriTheDog posted:

For you guys who love the Aeropress and use it regularly, what's the appeal? Cheap espresso-like beverage? I have one and I mostly drink pour over drip, and I haven't been able to make a cup with the Aeropress that's anything close to espresso in terms of intensity of flavor or body to make it anything more than a novelty. Am I just bad at the Aeropress, or am I missing something?

I have a Rok for espresso but use aero press for daily single serving black coffee. I'm not sure it's better than a pour over but it's what my wife prefers and it's faster. We get up at different times so there is no point is making a full pot of drip or carafe of French press, so I guess it's mostly convenience.