Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I also think that bases in Rust might be more viable because the terrain and whatnot, from my understanding, allow more player interaction with digging and the like. Seems like base building will be more limited in H1Z1, which translates to people having an easier time both finding bases and breaking into them.

The way bases work in rust is you place down a foundation that is level and adjusts to the terrain under it. Example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I like how people seem to confuse SOE with EA.

SOE Has done a lot in recent history to become a much better company that has released some good games and is looking to release a bunch more. While the zombie genre might be played out I'll definitely check it out.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Word on Reddit is that the map is currently smaller than DayZ's Chernarus. Kind of troubling.

Edit: Since I can't be bothered to write much while on my phone, I'll flesh this out a bit more now. DayZ's map is anywhere from 150-225km2, depending on how you do your measuring. The devs apparently stated yesterday that the map is presently 8x8km, so roughly 64km2. The reason for this appears to primarily be that they can't go larger and still have the game function on 32-bit machines. Now, obviously they can expand the map and eventually stop supporting 32-bit systems, but given that a) they've talked about having hundreds or thousands of people on a server, and b) accounts are locked to a specific server, I think there is cause for concern. This will indubitably have the greatest effect on the early access players, and could change with time, but there's no guarantee that it will. The issue should be obvious, in any case. An 8x8 map is hardly enough to accommodate hundreds of players without constant violence and lack of loot/food/stuff to do for everyone.

They could probably go the Planetside 2 route and just have people warp between maps that are otherwise treated as contiguous beyond the loading screen, but that still demands that new maps be made. For all their talk of having a huge world, this is a disappointing revelation and really makes me question how viable their decisions, in sum, will be.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 30, 2014

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Word on Reddit is that the map is currently smaller than DayZ's Chernarus. Kind of troubling.

I don't have to run as far to axe someone's skull in. I'm holding all glee or scorn for the game until I play it. Did they announce the Early Release date during the world's worst stream yesterday? I could only take a couple of minutes at a time.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

jabro posted:

I don't have to run as far to axe someone's skull in. I'm holding all glee or scorn for the game until I play it. Did they announce the Early Release date during the world's worst stream yesterday? I could only take a couple of minutes at a time.

Sorry, edited my post while you posted this. Anyway, when they announced H1Z1, they said early access would arrive in 4-6 weeks, which translates to sometime in May.

And yeah, that stream got pretty painful after the office tour and play test. They definitely didn't need to show all the goony fan interaction crap.

E: With regard to map size: I guess their intention is to just have a set of maps that people travel between, similar to the way PS2 has continents that people warp between. So the ability to expand is there, and they can scale up player count on servers. Still doesn't address how they'll deal with making adjustments if accounts are locked to a server, though.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 30, 2014

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
PS2 maps are also 8*8km, but it's bizarre that they would want to support 32-bit machines in 2014. Even PS2 switched to 64-bit client recently.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Gmaz posted:

PS2 maps are also 8*8km, but it's bizarre that they would want to support 32-bit machines in 2014. Even PS2 switched to 64-bit client recently.

Especially after Landmark where Sony told 32 bitters to go get effed.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Even my parents who are old as poo poo have a 64-bit computer. If you still use a 32-bit gently caress you.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Anybody with a 32-bit only CPU wouldn't be able to run jack poo poo made in the last 3-5 years, since the last major lines of 32-bit CPUs were dying off literally ten loving years ago. The problem is that dumbass Microsoft keeps making 32-bit versions of Windows.

gently caress, even the Pentium 4 had an x86_64 instruction set.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Azurrat posted:

Anybody with a 32-bit only CPU wouldn't be able to run jack poo poo made in the last 3-5 years, since the last major lines of 32-bit CPUs were dying off literally ten loving years ago. The problem is that dumbass Microsoft keeps making 32-bit versions of Windows.

gently caress, even the Pentium 4 had an x86_64 instruction set.

You'd be surprised. I know a guy who was running a 32-bit version of XP up until not too long ago and he could still handle most games. Not that that is a good reason for continuing to provide support.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

You'd be surprised. I know a guy who was running a 32-bit version of XP up until not too long ago and he could still handle most games. Not that that is a good reason for continuing to provide support.

and I'm willing to bet he was running it on a 64-bit processor, because x86-only processors died with the Pentium 3 line.

(With exceptions for niche hardware, obviously)

Frank Horrigan fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 1, 2014

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I'm sure this is obvious to most of the reddit experts here, but I just realized that in order to filter out all the pubbie BS and just get the real info, I just clicked on Smed's user name.

http://www.reddit.com/user/j_smedley

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Azurrat posted:

and I'm willing to bet he was running it on a 64-bit processor, because x86-only processors died with the Pentium 3 line.

(With exceptions for niche hardware, obviously)

I actually think it may have been a 32-bit processor. The motherboard certainly was, which is why he had to basically toss everything out in order to finally loving increase his RAM.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

I actually think it may have been a 32-bit processor. The motherboard certainly was, which is why he had to basically toss everything out in order to finally loving increase his RAM.

32-bit motherboards. :allears:

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Unless it was a first generation Pentium 4 or an Athlon XP, his processor and motherboard supported a 64 bit OS. People generally ran 32 bit Windows XP because the 64 bit drivers for XP kinda sucked. That changed with Vista, although the drivers sucked across 32 bit and 64 bit at release leading to part of the public perception that Vista was poo poo, the other was computer vendors selling poo poo boxes that didn't have the horsepower to run the OS.

Da Mott Man fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 2, 2014

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Looks like we've got rain.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Big ole fat rain.

kiriana
Mar 8, 2011
I'm looking forward to this. Rust was fun, but couldn't sustain with slow releasing. I want to go back to it but oy. This looks like it might be good, and looking forward to seeing you Warz, sorry Infestation Survivor blah blah, guys around again!

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that

That is very impressive rain, quite atmospheric.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012

kiriana posted:

I'm looking forward to this. Rust was fun, but couldn't sustain with slow releasing. I want to go back to it but oy. This looks like it might be good, and looking forward to seeing you Warz, sorry Infestation Survivor blah blah, guys around again!

I really hope the warZ band gets back together. I had a blast with you guys!

Diran
Jan 28, 2014

I'm loving the lighting, especially when combined with the rain.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I want to tame zombies and use them as traps. Why have no games used the inherent stupidity of zombies in order to increase interactivity with them, rather than decrease? They would be the ultimate guard dogs for your base, and wouldn't take any maintenance!

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I want to tame zombies and use them as traps. Why have no games used the inherent stupidity of zombies in order to increase interactivity with them, rather than decrease? They would be the ultimate guard dogs for your base, and wouldn't take any maintenance!

I saw that movie, it was pretty good.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Why can't any of these zombie games let you play as the zombies as well as the humans.

If someone made a zombie game with the Overlord/Overlord 2 mechanic where you could be a zombie controlling a gang of zombies I'd be all over it like white on rice Hell at least have the play as special infected option Left for dead has.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

Hell I would be happy even to be able to have a covered pit full of them. Who needs wooden spikes when you have flesh-eating zombies?

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Wren610 posted:

Why can't any of these zombie games let you play as the zombies as well as the humans.

If someone made a zombie game with the Overlord/Overlord 2 mechanic where you could be a zombie controlling a gang of zombies I'd be all over it like white on rice Hell at least have the play as special infected option Left for dead has.

Wouldn't playing as Zombies be a smart concept for PvP? Considering the game is PvP anyways, adding a chaotic factor would be genius.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

If I recall correctly, they're intending to allow people to play as zombies, albeit only if they can figure out a way to restrict things such that weird poo poo like zombies teaming up with humans doesn't become a thing.

poliander
Oct 31, 2013
This is a bit off topic, and i apologise.
But i have been playing Nether a bit lately and it is something to look at. I just mention this because it is one of the things that someone mentioned. No zombies, but mutated monster things.
The atmosphere is really nice and i love how i start the game with a knife.

Then run away from anything that makes a sound, while trying to find a weapon or parts sufficient to make one. Or 2 or whatever.
And of course with a constant danger that from some building you will just hear a boom of a sniper with impending death coming down on you :).
Game is still in beta i believe but something to look at for sure.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Having spent what is probably too much time playing Nether, I can't say I'm all that impressed with it. The production value is certainly a lot higher than most other things, and on the whole, everything looks nice and the monsters are a nice change of pace. However, when I last played, they managed to break a ton of poo poo, to the point where going prone made you invincible to bullet damage. Additionally, someone figured out how to dupe the poo poo out of items for the purpose of selling them, and since everyone drops 10% of their cash on death, a bunch of people now have so much money that obtaining gear is pretty trivial. Similarly, unloading bullets from your gun caused them to multiply. A lot of this is probably fixed, but the economy is still presumably a wreck. That, and there's not much to do, it's hard to find people, and fights are typically frustratingly short.

E: The crafting system is also the dumbest loving thing. They limit both your global inventory and your personal inventory by two variables: volume and mass. While this is, no doubt, an interesting mechanic, several of their crafting recipes involve so many materials that you quite literally cannot store them all without basically holding on to nothing else. It really doesn't do much but prove frustrating. Not to mention that it doesn't generally make a ton of sense to bother loving around trying to gather materials to craft in the first place, since the cost to kill enough critters to get the stuff generally outweighs what you can actually end up crafting.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 5, 2014

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

If I recall correctly, they're intending to allow people to play as zombies, albeit only if they can figure out a way to restrict things such that weird poo poo like zombies teaming up with humans doesn't become a thing.

Only logical way to do so would be to make zombies not have chat, really. Or something.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Psyker posted:

Only logical way to do so would be to make zombies not have chat, really. Or something.

Quite frankly, I think it will be impossible to avoid. If you and I decide to be zombies, and we hop in Mumble with poliander and Kizurue, then we can coordinate and that's that. The only way to really stop it, I think, would be to create some arbitrary mechanic like "player-controlled zombies get weaker in the presence of humans that they're not actively attacking."

E: I guess it also depends on player-controlled zombie durability. If they're as "weak" as the regular zombies, then I wonder what the point would even be, unless the game just drops you into a zombie that is near another player(s) so it's just straight-up kamikaze zombie action all day every day. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I suppose.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 5, 2014

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Quite frankly, I think it will be impossible to avoid. If you and I decide to be zombies, and we hop in Mumble with poliander and Kizurue, then we can coordinate and that's that. The only way to really stop it, I think, would be to create some arbitrary mechanic like "player-controlled zombies get weaker in the presence of humans that they're not actively attacking."

Deplete their health steadily unless they've killed a human in the last 10 seconds.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

Azurrat posted:

Deplete their health steadily unless they've killed a human in the last 10 seconds.

Eh I unless it was extremely slow this would be a big turn off. Choke points and ambushes are a big play style and if you force someone to kill within a certain time it takes a lot of the fun and removed the ability of coordination. I don't know if you played Aliens vs Predator but they added that mechanic into a mode where the predator was supposed to hunt humans and it completely removed the suspense of it and forced constant rushings.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
The odd human/zombie working together versus Dayz part 2 murder simulator with nothing original. Really player zombies would add a lot more interest and challenge. I guess I would sum up my Dayz time as shooting people and takeing their stuff was fun for a couple days but it got old pretty fast.

Sony's been trying to take their game development to a new level with things like PS2 and EQ Next this just sounds like their phoning one in.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
As much as I'm looking forward to this game, I'd feel a lot better about it if they didn't have their main discussion/community page pointing to a reddit thread.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Tide posted:

As much as I'm looking forward to this game, I'd feel a lot better about it if they didn't have their main discussion/community page pointing to a reddit thread.

I actually like it being centralized like that so I don't have to create another BS login/pass.

And I like that they are actively engaged as well and touching more people than they would with a local forum.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Couldn't they do the same thing on their own forums?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

That's some pretty fine looking rain. Have a hard time believing that will end up being the actual rain we see in game and not merely a tech demo.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Tide posted:

Couldn't they do the same thing on their own forums?

Of course they could, but from my perspective it's a reach thing. You reach more people via reddit than you could by making your own forum, putting people through the pain in the rear end of creating yet another login before they are sure they want to invest time in the game.

Anyway, it's a total guess on my part so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Dark Helmut posted:

Of course they could, but from my perspective it's a reach thing. You reach more people via reddit than you could by making your own forum, putting people through the pain in the rear end of creating yet another login before they are sure they want to invest time in the game.

Anyway, it's a total guess on my part so who knows.

but reddit is bad and only pedophiles post there :downs:

• Locked thread