Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Times GFWL has inconvenienced me, in Dark Souls or otherwise: 0
Times the new Dark Souls 2 servers have stopped me from playing for ages at a time: Lost count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Domattee posted:

Keep in mind that the game's been out a week. As the population drops wait times and connection issues are going to rise.

Wait times certainly, connection issues though? There isn't any reason those should skyrocket just because less people are playing. Dark Souls 1 was never ever, not even at launch, as stable connection-wise as DS2 is now.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

SirDan3k posted:

The chariot isn't one of those, somebody to tank/split up the skeletons is very useful and the actual boss is easy even with more health. Though it's rear kick hitbox is way bigger then it should be.

what splitting up? the skeles drop in like 3 hits and they're nothing but a nuisance: the only remotely deadly guy besides the boss is the skele archer

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Whats up with the soundtrack that came with the game? A bunch of the songs have parts cut out for some reason, ending earlier than they do ingame or missing their intros.

Azzents posted:

Got disconnected from online play due to Steam servers going down for like the fourth time today. The thread title should be 'Dark Souls II: Are we really better off without GFWL?"

Yes. gently caress GFWL.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Hashy posted:

Times the new Dark Souls 2 servers have stopped me from playing for ages at a time: Lost count
Go ahead and make this your homepage if you feel that Steam is just some kind of internet cartel keeping you down.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Well, I said it mostly tongue in cheek. That's Poe's law for you. :v:

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Less people means you get connected to people further away more often, thus more issues.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^You can just disable cross-regional play. Wait times will go up even more, but such is the nature of the beast.

Hashy posted:

I wish I had your magic connection back when I was addicted to DS1. GFWL took a poo poo on almost every single co-op attempt.

Oh, and there was that time I forgot the account my CD key was tied to and Microsoft folded its arms and absolutely refused to help me retrieve it, and I had to make another steam account, rebuy the game, and crib THAT CD Key for a new account. Granted it was my fault for losing the account in the first place, but seriously: CD keys? gently caress off, this isn't 1995.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Hashy posted:

Weird, mine is pretty much the exact opposite. The new servers have stopped me from playing exactly once, but GFWL has: rendered all my saves completely and spontaneously inaccessible in two games, and inconvenienced me in Dark Souls 1 more times than I can count. It's so bad I dont' even bother to play the PC version if I want to do any kind of online play anymore - I boot up my PS3 copy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Am I SOL on the lizard staff now that Executioner's Chariot is dead? I was really hoping to get a decent magic based staff since right now my best is a sunset staff I don't feel like burning twinkling titanite on.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If I understand scaling correctly, both Hexes and Pyromancies rely on the same two stats, Faith and Intelligence. Is there any reason NOT to work both kinds of spells into a single build?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

Has this been posted yet because it makes me very happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD448x8iitk

I expected it to get lamer as time went on, and it didn't. Very confusing.

So easy to groove to.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

If I understand scaling correctly, both Hexes and Pyromancies rely on the same two stats, Faith and Intelligence. Is there any reason NOT to work both kinds of spells into a single build?

Hexers use everything. The only reason you wouldn't use pyromancy is because you don't really get much extra damage at 40/40 vs a melee class' less than 10 on both stats. That and most pyromancies have gently caress all for casts compared to similar miracles/spells/hexes

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

A ton of catalyst juggling? Pyromancies use a flame, half of the hexes use bells the other half staves.

Other than that not really.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jay Rust posted:

If you're going Hexer then you can pretty much also go sorcery/miracles/pyromancy too, since all of those pull from Intelligence and Faith in various ways. Granted Hexes are OP to the point that there really isn't much need to dip into the other competencies once you've gotten your Hex on, but you absolutely can.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jay Rust posted:

Item and spell slots. Pyromancy doesn't rely on any stat other than attunement; it receives some very minor damage scaling from int and faith, but the vast majority of your damage will come from upgrading the flame. If you are only interested in pyromancy you don't have any reason to raise something other than attunement until your hit the point of diminishing returns for it. Even once you do, as far as I know there isn't any catalyst that can cast pyromancy and another type of spell. So if you choose to use something other than pyromancy, you'll have one less item slot to use.

What I'm saying is if you are mainly interested in pyromancy, you'll get a lot more out of investing into attunement than int/faith at first. Putting points into attunement gives you access to more spells, more casting speed, and some agility. That's worth more than the minor fire damage bonus until your attunement is really high.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 3, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

tbh my hexer casts lightning spear more than he casts anything else. It one shots a lot of dudes running off my lightning priest chime +6. Dark orb takes 2 or 3 shots and RS/GRS aren't exactly practical for NG trash mobs. I haven't seen a darknight stone or faintstone yet so my other spells aren't really doing all they can, either.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
But they are for PVP :unsmigghh:

Embrace the Dark and the Sun like my hexer did and roll with Sunlight Spear, Great Resonant Soul, Dark Fog, Dark Orb, a Lightning Dragon Chime and a Dark Sunset Staff.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Fashion souls?

Fashion souls.

Wizards are the poo poo, and PVP is a hilarious joke against the majority of folks who can't deal with Homing Crystal Magic Missiles being used to bait a roll into Forbidden Suns comboing into each other.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
How ARE you supposed to deal with that combo, anyways?

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Steam seems to be back up at least. (Europe)

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
Wow, those hammer-wielding knights in the Dragon Shrine sure are a lot of fun to fight as melee. Really, just a ton of fun. It's difficult to calculate the amount of fun I have had fighting these enemies. Fun for miles. Fun fun fun.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Artificer posted:

I have a shield that blocks all magic damage and I'm pretty sure I made someone cry because they couldn't spam magic and roll away from me for half an hour straight

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Since this is my first Dark Souls game I've really gotten the hang of it over the week (playing sword and board), I'm pleasantly surprised with the combat mechanisms so far. I did alright up to the Doors of Pharros, but god drat I cannot handle that giant rat, if I get poisoned by the adds I pretty much have to write-off that try. Guess I'll do a few more attempts tomorrow when the frustration's gone down.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

bef posted:

what splitting up? the skeles drop in like 3 hits and they're nothing but a nuisance: the only remotely deadly guy besides the boss is the skele archer

No them getting you stuck outside an alcove when the chariot makes a pass is the greatest threat in that fight. Skeletons don't kill you they just get you killed.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Haeleus posted:

Since this is my first Dark Souls game I've really gotten the hang of it over the week (playing sword and board), I'm pleasantly surprised with the combat mechanisms so far. I did alright up to the Doors of Pharros, but god drat I cannot handle that giant rat, if I get poisoned by the adds I pretty much have to write-off that try. Guess I'll do a few more attempts tomorrow when the frustration's gone down.

Yeah poison still does me in when it sticks.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Fereydun posted:

Fashion souls?

Fashion souls.

Wizards are the poo poo, and PVP is a hilarious joke against the majority of folks who can't deal with Homing Crystal Magic Missiles being used to bait a roll into Forbidden Suns comboing into each other.

:argh: Why did they lock almost all of the awesome wizard's armor behind a sidequest you can't complete until you're already 9/10ths of the way through the game?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Haeleus posted:

Use lifegems. Kill off the small rats as quickly as you can, then hug the back left/right leg of the RRA.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Annnd steam just went down for me.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Artificer posted:

Cast faster than they do :clint:

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009

Ignimbrite posted:

Same here in the MID west.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

SirDan3k posted:

No them getting you stuck outside an alcove when the chariot makes a pass is the greatest threat in that fight. Skeletons don't kill you they just get you killed.

Oh, I wouldn't know

Ignimbrite posted:

Its been down for a while for me :shrug:

I really wish there was a way to quick chat on steam with people after pvp/coop, the only thing I miss from GFWL

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I have a few questions about the Mad Warrior NPC. Does he spawn in more than one location? And does he spawn infinitely?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Haeleus posted:

This dumb fight is like 99% getting the small rats dead within the first 10 seconds without getting toxic. It's an optional fight, and in my opinion, not really worth it unless you want to ratbro.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Holy poo poo. Darkstorm, where have you been all my life?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Scraps of Life is cooler~

Nuebot posted:

So I have a few questions about the Mad Warrior NPC. Does he spawn in more than one location? And does he spawn infinitely?
He only spawns in that one corner, and yeah, he spawns infinitely. Whether or not he chooses to spawn that go around is up to chance, though.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Most important DS2 lore question:

Do Giants have eyes?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Graviija posted:

Wow, those hammer-wielding knights in the Dragon Shrine sure are a lot of fun to fight as melee. Really, just a ton of fun. It's difficult to calculate the amount of fun I have had fighting these enemies. Fun for miles. Fun fun fun.

Yeah I had a lot of fun fighting them too so much fun I had to go for a jog repeatedly.

e: new favorite enemy though the dual shield wielding wall knights

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lori posted:

I have a shield that blocks all magic damage and I'm pretty sure I made someone cry because they couldn't spam magic and roll away from me for half an hour straight

Speaking of which, what ARE the good shields for magic damage? Fire and dark, while we're at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The Rebel's Greatshield, which can be found in Cardinal Tower. Pretty much the best in dark with 85 on it.

Best one for fire is Grym Greatshield. 100 FIRE Resis.

King's Mirror which has 70 for every magic thrown at you, so that's a nice balance.

Magic Shield has 95 on Magic. :v:

Silver black shield is also a good pick up.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 3, 2014